Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Are there counts for how many unique cards, not counting mavericks, there are in each house right now? Even with just the first three decks I opened I'm seeing a lot of repeats.

Here's a card list I found. Linked there from a boardgamegeek thread from September, so I'm not sure if they've kept it up or if more have been found. Looks like 52-54 per house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Hey thanks. Appreciate it.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Question about Neutron Shark that doesn't seem definitive on BGG/reddit and honestly I trust you folks more. It doesn't look like Rule of 6 applies because it's not re-playing a card but re-triggering an action. Does the Play/Fight/Reap have the potential to repeat until there are no ways to complete the first half of the action? (No enemy creatures/artifacts and/or I'm out of creatures/artifacts)

Neutron Shark
Play/Fight/Reap: Destroy an enemy creature or artifact and a friendly creature or artifact. Discard the top card of your deck. If that card is not a Logos card, trigger this effect again.

Situation
Enemy has 2 creatures and 1 artifact in play
I have 0 creatures and 1 artifact in play.

1. I play Shark and destroy an enemy Artifact and my new Shark.
2. With the shark destroyed, do I still evaluate the 2nd half of the effect possibly causing the effect to trigger again? Or does the effect end because the Destroy aborts it?
3. If it can trigger again and I don't top deck a Logos card I can then destroy another enemy creature and my artifact.
4. Shark is long dead, but the effect re-triggers when I don't top deck a Logos card.
5. The effect ends because while I want to destroy enemy's final creature, I'm have no more creature/artifact to destroy with it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
OK assuming they are using MtG style rules, the trigger lost the target and therefore aborts once the shark is gone. This is what happens though when you don't use the word target in your game rules.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone interested in deck trading? I'm looking for a Sanctum/Lagos/X deck and Brobnar/Sanctum/X. Preferably still sealed. I've got a few pretty good decks for trade, i'm just looking for something with a certain play style.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I really wish the tournament tomorrow was survivor format because I cannot decide which deck to use.

My two favorites are actually the same factions (Sanctum/Shadow/Untamed) but play very differently

Brikcred, the Memorable Zoo Criminal, which combines a ton of creature power with six artifacts to hold control, but doesn't have any mass board removal. Can use Oath of Poverty as a "finishing blow" to blow up the artifacts for mass amber if needed.

J. Krylov, Shielder of the Hungry Stadium, uses Round Table to allow the Sanctum Knights to protect the smaller Shadow cards that can seriously gently caress with the opponent. Also has more reliable ways of removing creatures. But has fewer creatures and only four knights, so if I lose them it may be a struggle to regain any control.

I also have a couple more that I like but don't really have any play time with so I don't know if they're actually any good :v:

Between the two, J. Krylov is the better one. Your shadow is of much higher quality in it, and your sanctum has better synergy between the creatures and actions. Although I'd say the Untamed pool is weaker on average, World of Returning can win games.

If we include your two other decks into consideration, Cooke the Abruptly Ochre has extremely powerful Untamed and Mars, with some meh Dis (Drumble is really unfortunately lacking any good way to set him up; you have only a single capture in the whole deck, through Charette, or the action A Fair Game). Orabelle Y. Downtron, the Fifth is just "okay" in all respects I wouldn't play it.

I'd recommend trying out Cooke if you can, I think you'll be impressed with its performance.

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

I opened a deck simply called "The Brutish Ogre". I was hoping for some incomprehensible nonsense and got the most generic name possible. I love it!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Deodytus posted:

I opened a deck simply called "The Brutish Ogre". I was hoping for some incomprehensible nonsense and got the most generic name possible. I love it!

My first starter deck one was "The Defender that Lets Go of Feasts" :pwn:

My FLGS was complaining that FF drastically underprinted the starter set, they only got three. Guess they were just really banking on people only wanting decks. Tried playing a game on that browser one but got kind of lost when it wasn't my turn on what was happening. Game seems fun though, excited to try it out in person.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just got back from my first tournament. Some thoughts:

1) This game seriously is a brain-burner. Most of our games were surprisingly close, even if they didn't necessarily look like it turn to turn.

2) How on earth did Four Horsemen become the de facto money cards in this game? The deck I opened for the cut had them and it just seemed way too finicky to get much use out of - and this was with a decent Sanctum backing them up.

3) gently caress Shadows, gently caress Elusive. If my opponent starts putting down a bunch of elusive Shadow creatures I immediately start looking for stuff that deals damage without attacking. You can't just ignore them, they usually have a bunch of steal and cap effects on fight or reap. Also, Shadow Self is a fascinating, annoying card.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

Just got back from my first tournament. Some thoughts:

1) This game seriously is a brain-burner. Most of our games were surprisingly close, even if they didn't necessarily look like it turn to turn.

2) How on earth did Four Horsemen become the de facto money cards in this game? The deck I opened for the cut had them and it just seemed way too finicky to get much use out of - and this was with a decent Sanctum backing them up.

3) gently caress Shadows, gently caress Elusive. If my opponent starts putting down a bunch of elusive Shadow creatures I immediately start looking for stuff that deals damage without attacking. You can't just ignore them, they usually have a bunch of steal and cap effects on fight or reap. Also, Shadow Self is a fascinating, annoying card.

4H is pretty overrated right now. I have finally hit upon my first decent brobnar deck, with dis and shadows supporting. What's crazy is the deck has 3 complete board wipe spells in it. Made for some pretty salty moments in the matches I played. Coward's End, you are a great card.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jon Joe posted:

Between the two, J. Krylov is the better one. Your shadow is of much higher quality in it, and your sanctum has better synergy between the creatures and actions. Although I'd say the Untamed pool is weaker on average, World of Returning can win games.

If we include your two other decks into consideration, Cooke the Abruptly Ochre has extremely powerful Untamed and Mars, with some meh Dis (Drumble is really unfortunately lacking any good way to set him up; you have only a single capture in the whole deck, through Charette, or the action A Fair Game). Orabelle Y. Downtron, the Fifth is just "okay" in all respects I wouldn't play it.

I'd recommend trying out Cooke if you can, I think you'll be impressed with its performance.

I was two rounds in when you posted this :v: but I appreciate the advice!

I ended up going with Kyrlov and went 1-1, and my round 3 opponent and I just played a for fun game with different decks since they were cutting to a top four after that and not a top eight, so we had no chance of winning (barring a terrible draw though, I feel like that deck would have beat theirs as well).

I'll give Cooke a try. I really like Dis, I always seem to be on my back foot when my opponent has it.

Also it's funny you mention Orabelle, because my friends and I decided to play a three player game to see how it went and I ended up playing that one. We went about an hour 45, and spent roughly an hour going in circles trying to prevent people from forging their final key. I ended up finally having too much amber to stop and winning.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

They're just a really solid package--individually they vary in quality, but the fact that pulling one of them means you get another three quality creatures tossed in guaranteed really helps--whatever else your Sunctum end she up as, it'll have some very solid creatures in it. Death is also one of the few legitimately explosive plays out of Sanctum.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Campbell posted:

Question about Neutron Shark that doesn't seem definitive on BGG/reddit and honestly I trust you folks more. It doesn't look like Rule of 6 applies because it's not re-playing a card but re-triggering an action. Does the Play/Fight/Reap have the potential to repeat until there are no ways to complete the first half of the action? (No enemy creatures/artifacts and/or I'm out of creatures/artifacts)

Neutron Shark
Play/Fight/Reap: Destroy an enemy creature or artifact and a friendly creature or artifact. Discard the top card of your deck. If that card is not a Logos card, trigger this effect again.

Situation

2. With the shark destroyed, do I still evaluate the 2nd half of the effect possibly causing the effect to trigger again? Or does the effect end because the Destroy aborts it?
3. If it can trigger again and I don't top deck a Logos card I can then destroy another enemy creature and my artifact.
4. Shark is long dead, but the effect re-triggers when I don't top deck a Logos card.
5. The effect ends because while I want to destroy enemy's final creature, I'm have no more creature/artifact to destroy with it.

We have to wait on a ruling for this, really. The internet hasn't figured out a good ruling, and if you try and google it it's just people screaming at each other for being dumb and bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Carteret posted:

dumb and bad.

No it's just you :smug:

My PANDIT OF OCKCHOP is gonna wreck you next August

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Campbell posted:

Neutron Shark

Situation

According tot he recent rules reference update, the effect stops once the shark dies, regardless of topdecking. Beyond that it repeats as long as you don't topdeck Logos, it's not limited by Rule of 6, that refers to playing a card or using (Fight, Reap, Action, Omni) a card, and repeating the effect of a played card is neiither.

It will kill your stuff without killing any enemy as long as the shark is alive, because do as much as you can of the card.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

No it's just you :smug:

My PANDIT OF OCKCHOP is gonna wreck you next August

awwww. Miss you buddy.

Sayay, Church Expert Begs to Differ!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

I specifically love this deck because it seems built to piss off people. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it basically stacks elusive creatures, board wipes and effects that manipulate opponents ember. https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/60b0604b-c52c-4dc7-a20d-b6beab005381

Definitely my favorite deck I have and one that, to me, seems to synergize among all 3 factions more than any other deck i've seen so far.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Like I get the no deck building thing but is this game pretty much you can only play what you open? Like if I like the sound of a registered deck and have all the cards from other decks, can I build and play the netdeck?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Like I get the no deck building thing but is this game pretty much you can only play what you open? Like if I like the sound of a registered deck and have all the cards from other decks, can I build and play the netdeck?

No. Not legally, anyway.

I mean, if you want, to, and your opponent doesn't care, you do you, but... no.

People trying to make constructed formats for this game are just totally missing the point.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

There's nothing 'illegal' about doing whatever the heck you want to do with your cards. If you want to make a netdeck go for it. Just keep in mind you can't play it in organized play. Geezus, the point of any game is to have fun, and if making a net deck is fun for you go for it.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
For anyone that just bought the starter deck, be sure to read the expanded rules on the FFG page

I learned the following things:

- What Archive means, and when you can get the cards (I thought it was instead of drawing)
- That Fight abilities only trigger if the creature survives the fight
- Biomatrix Backup has the text "This creature gains, "Destroyed: You may put this creature into its owner's archives."". If the creature dies on the opponent's turn, they get to choose whether the "may" effect triggers.

Although there is a post by Richard Garfield that says it's probably an error in the wording.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Well I certainly don't mind eating my words on people shelling out big money.

In addition to the stuff CSI is selling for a hundred+ dollars, decks are going for that much on eBay as well.

I'm going to try and make sure everyone knows next weekend at the pre-Release in case any entrepreneurial types try to pick up stuff at cost from casuals that don't know any better.

I figured there would be some level of an after-market for collectors but this is going way beyond that.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 18, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what exactly are people shelling out the big bucks for, so I know what to flip if I open one of these packs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mostly 4 horsemen, a set of 4 cards that appear together in Sanctum house. Some decks even have two sets of them which is hilarious and people are paying upwards of $350 for them. There are some other combos that seem to be going for decent money but nowhere near that same level.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
First deck I opened had the horsemen in it. They were great but it’s more the wraths in other houses that made it strong. Someone elses deck was consistently beating it though so no idea how meta will shape up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Turambar posted:

holy poo poo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Turambar posted:

This is really the only non-intuitive rule in the whole game. Maybe the archive, since it doesn't show up in maybe 50% of decks, and sometimes when it does it's one of those abilities where it puts the opponent's cards in your archive and if they leave your archive they go back to them - but since the deck has no reason to ever take the archive, those cards are basically exiled forever.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Mostly 4 horsemen, a set of 4 cards that appear together in Sanctum house. Some decks even have two sets of them which is hilarious and people are paying upwards of $350 for them. There are some other combos that seem to be going for decent money but nowhere near that same level.

I really want a double Help from Future Self/Timewalker deck and would probably shell out for it. Love Lagos and love that card combo.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm tempted to pick up some extra decks just to see if I can flip them. Gotta pay for the trip to Adepticon somehow.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mayveena posted:

There's nothing 'illegal' about doing whatever the heck you want to do with your cards. If you want to make a netdeck go for it. Just keep in mind you can't play it in organized play. Geezus, the point of any game is to have fun, and if making a net deck is fun for you go for it.

I mean, the rules of the game being what we mean by legality here, there absolutely is something illegal about constucting a netdeck. And it would absolutely not be permitted in any tournament.

ShowTime posted:

I really want a double Help from Future Self/Timewalker deck and would probably shell out for it. Love Lagos and love that card combo.

I'd far prefer to see this than Horsemen, personally. Timetraveller/Help is only so-so solo, but AMAZING with duplicates.

Horsemen, especially double horsemen, seem to be the one thing people have fixated upon as amazing right now, and they can be very powerful, but so can a lot of other things, and unless there's something in the deck with them that does some delay work, they're super vulnerable to straight up aember generation from cards. A big Untamed turn that just straight up vomits 12 aember will wreck them.

They're one of the best possible fightmans decks, but this is NOT a fightmans game.

My ideal power deck would be Dis or Shadows, Logos, and Untamed, with a bunch of delay in the dis/shadows side (stuff like Charette, Drumble, Key Hammer, Miasma, etc), logos having double time traveller/help, library access, wild wormholes and phase shifts, and untamed having full moons, dust pixies, hunting witches, and choto hazri and/or keycharge. Just rush rush rush. Never fight, never even give two shits about board presence, probably never even reap, just spam small critters and cards for aember and cards. Or that silly-bollocks Mars combo with Blypyp and John Smyth and Ulyq Megamouth.

Hell I saw a maverick Hunting Witch in Mars on FB today, that with Squawker in the same deck is AMAZING. Play it, squawk it awake, reap the squawker back into hand, repeat until you've played/used both six times and have 13 aember. Repeat next turn if alive.

I'm so tempted to get one more deck, just to get somethign that plays a little differently from my first two. Maybe I'll go find a sealed tournament somewhere.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'm guessing the horseman boom is mostly due to them being super-easily identifiable as a chase deck; as other card combinations become more well known they'll probably regress more towards mean deck cost.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Man I'm not impressed by my horseman deck mainly because in all three games I've played it so far I get death first long before I get the others. Thats one game live, and 2 with mocked up copies on steam tabletop. Now I kind of wish I'd kept it sealed just to see what I could get for it.

A. Z. Oakbaron of the Deterring Library

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

There are so many "gently caress you and your 5 power or higher" cards in the game that I don't know how competitive 4hm decks will be without dupes.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thespaceinvader posted:

They're one of the best possible fightmans decks, but this is NOT a fightmans game.

I was having a tough time getting used to this with the demo decks, but I think pulling 3 decks that rely on preventing my opponent from winning rather than making huge plays will fix that.
Getting a Grenade Snib in a deck with a bunch of "archive instead of destroy" and "pull from discard" effects is going to be fun.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Carteret posted:

There are so many "gently caress you and your 5 power or higher" cards in the game that I don't know how competitive 4hm decks will be without dupes.

I guess when you go to compete with your deck in opaque sleeves you'll need to be sure to actually examine the deck you are playing against. Seems like opportunities for shenanigans against unsuspecting players abound.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mayveena posted:

I guess when you go to compete with your deck in opaque sleeves you'll need to be sure to actually examine the deck you are playing against. Seems like opportunities for shenanigans against unsuspecting players abound.

From what I remember from the OP YouTube video, you get two minutes to look at your opponent's list at the beginning of each match in the bring-your-own-deck mode, which is just one more aid against that kind of cheating.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I have revised my power rankings now that I own/played more decks. Fight me.

Untamed
Logos
Mars - Shadow - Brobnar
Dis - Sanctum

Untamed is really good. It has high Æmber production, good combos, and Mimicry, which is a top 10 card imo.

Logos + strong use of the archive leads to turns where you get to drop 10+ cards. With capture denial and Foggify you can get a ton of milage out of this house.

Brobnar jumps up the ranks. Situationally useful since they don't have many play abilities. If you get the right grip though, or have the right supporting cast, they can easily board clear.

Dis could be very strong, but I think you have to luck into the right set of cards in a way you don't have to for Untamed or Logos. Sanctum just takes too long to get running. I guess if you drop six Sanctum on your first turn you'll probably win, but the odds are against it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mayveena posted:

The name and deck icon is also on the front, so it takes 5 seconds to splay a deck and check.

I gotta say this game is growing on me, it really is a nice casual experience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have revised my power rankings now that I own/played more decks. Fight me.

Untamed
Logos
Mars - Shadow - Brobnar
Dis - Sanctum

Untamed is really good. It has high Æmber production, good combos, and Mimicry, which is a top 10 card imo.

Logos + strong use of the archive leads to turns where you get to drop 10+ cards. With capture denial and Foggify you can get a ton of milage out of this house.

Brobnar jumps up the ranks. Situationally useful since they don't have many play abilities. If you get the right grip though, or have the right supporting cast, they can easily board clear.

Dis could be very strong, but I think you have to luck into the right set of cards in a way you don't have to for Untamed or Logos. Sanctum just takes too long to get running. I guess if you drop six Sanctum on your first turn you'll probably win, but the odds are against it.

I think you've just been lucky/unlucky with combos.

Every time my opponent has had a Logos deck I've said to myself "excellent I don't have to worry about a third of the deck" and I haven't been wrong yet. And vice versa when it's in one of my decks.

On the other hand, Dis is pretty easily my top house. Every time I go against it I'm always on the back foot just hoping I can stay alive long enough to pull off a combo of some sort to take back control.

Don't think I'd put Untamed first, or even second. It's solid but it relies way too much on combos for my liking.

Ultimately, every house is going to have ups and downs based on not only what it can do with itself but how well it synergizes with the other houses in your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Played my first tournament (of any game, ever) and it was a small 3 round swiss one at my FLGS. Got a fun deck of shadow, Mars, and sanctum with the hilarious Bad Penny + Seeker Needle combo and a shitload of artifact control (2 artifact destruction, one repeatable artifact bounce, and a creature with reap: use an opponent's artifact). Went 1-2 with it, but the two losses were very close - the first was decided via tiebreaker, and I would have won had I gotten one more turn (since I would have forged my last key). The second loss was due to my opponent stealing a whopping 6 amber in a single turn, going from 5 to 11, blocking me from forging the game-winning key and putting himself so far ahead I couldn't slow him down in time. Things I learned: while it's fun to play control cards like Miasma, Deep Probe, and Etherspider early on to gain a big lead, it might be better to save them for later to prevent a win to eke out a few more turns.

I also got Key of Darkness (Shadow Action Card: forge a key at +6 current cost. If the opponent has 0 amber, forge a key at +2 cost instead) which looks real cool but is near useless in the deck. There's only one source of amber burst generation, and it's in Sanctum (cleansing wave) - otherwise I need to build up a big shadow play in order to steal like 3 or 4 amber in a single turn in order to pull it off. Which isn't super duper hard, but the deck seems to rely on Shadows as the real workhorse, as Mars is mostly there for creature removal (there's tons of damage, both single-target and widespread. it does have a few creatures that are okay, but nothing amazing) and sanctum is mostly just there for support. So it's hard to build up that big shadow turn, since I need to keep shadows on the field to do work, and thus they're hard to keep out long enough for a big wombo combo Key of Darkness. Oh well, deck is still a ton of fun.

Things I'm not sure on: whether it's better to play a few moderate turns to maintain board presence, or play a few weak turns to save up for one big one. Like, play 3 good cards across 3 turns, or play 2 turns of weak cards and then one turn of all 3 good cards? My gut says to play 3 cards across 3 turns so you can use some of them as the turns go on, but then I suppose you leave them vulnerable for the opponent to counteract them, whereas dropping all three at once might be too much to handle. I dunno!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 19, 2018