Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Except unless your the top guy the WWE money is the same and the merch money may not be as much. And NXT still doesn't pay you what you can do on the indies

WWE and Vince is not gonna spend that money on talent

They won't spend it on talent to use, but they would spend it on talent for spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't see Vince being Gung-ho on blowing his salary structure up. He wants to control the wrestling business but he wants to do it on what he wants to pay. Sadly most of the talent seems to think that's okay and signs NXT level deals on the vague hope they could get Main event money....

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

They're becoming WCW paying people to sit at home

Donovan Dijak has been in NXT for over a year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Donovan Dijak has been in NXT for over a year.
He's a good example of guys that were just C+ indy guys that got signed too soon. See also: Apollo Crews.

There were also guys that were right about to hit their peak and got scooped up to do nothing in WWE like Gran Metallic

Or guys that should have had a good retirement tour before signing but did anyway, like KENTA.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Dijak had a 5 star match last year and turned a crowd who had no idea who he was against Adam Cole at an NXT show I went to. They just need to put him on TV.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This just reminds me how NXT made me miss La Sombra and the main roster then made me miss Andrade Cien Almas.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is Keith Lee even on NXT TV?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Yes but his appearances are very limited.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Yes but his appearances are very limited.

"Limited" Keith Lee

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

He's a good example of guys that were just C+ indy guys that got signed too soon.
I blame ROH for not using Dijak well more than WWE for poaching early. He was a star in every smaller promotion and worked his rear end off finishing dates in front of 100 people. Obviously I can't defend what NXT has done since signing

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Just let Dijak and Kieth Lee wrestle each other on tv and they will get over.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’m sorry Apollo Crews...C+, limited? What. Dude was hype in Dragon Gate. Did he lose all his powers in Orlando?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

coconono posted:

I’m sorry Apollo Crews...C+, limited? What. Dude was hype in Dragon Gate. Did he lose all his powers in Orlando?

No, he was only in NXT for like 8 months. Then they called him up and tried to make him "smiling babyface Bobby Lashley" v2. So he didn't even have the usual NXT hype that these guys come up with where they come out to a big pop from a hardcore crowd, then his first feud was against Heath Slater.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PaybackJack posted:

No, he was only in NXT for like 8 months. Then they called him up and tried to make him "smiling babyface Bobby Lashley" v2. So he didn't even have the usual NXT hype that these guys come up with where they come out to a big pop from a hardcore crowd, then his first feud was against Heath Slater.

He pinned Sheamus at MitB and fought Miz for the IC Title at SummerSlam, then he totally vanished.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

He pinned Sheamus at MitB

You say this, and I believe you, but I have zero recollection of it happening.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Incessant Excess posted:

You say this, and I believe you, but I have zero recollection of it happening.

I forget it often too. :lol:

That was the same night Titus kissed his son, AJ beat Cena, Rollins beat Reigns and Ambrose cashed in.

WWE in Summer of 2016 was Good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Crews 100% should leave when his deal is up, he's going nowhere and I don't see that changing at all in the future

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Crews/Uhaa was cool as hell when he was chucking around tiny japanese flipmen, WWE doesn't know what they're doing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Has anyone taken to clipping highlights from Cornette's podcast again? There was a guy doing it on YouTube forever, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore. I really enjoyed his stuff on some topics but I don't want to listen to another whole podcast for it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

surf rock posted:

Has anyone taken to clipping highlights from Cornette's podcast again? There was a guy doing it on YouTube forever, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore. I really enjoyed his stuff on some topics but I don't want to listen to another whole podcast for it.

Cornette threatened to sue the guy who was doing it, iirc.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
The guy giving him free promotion? What a nerd.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
He was probably taking away views and maybe ad revenue from the official channel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jim Cornette's Talking Sense? I thought they had a deal of some kind. The guy had a video on the front page of his channel with Cornette talking about how they had reached an agreement to keep the channel up.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They had a falling out after Cornette and Brian Last wanted him to hand over the channel to them and they would "keep him on" putting together the videos for whatever money they decided to give him. He felt like Last was jealous of him and would get rid of him pretty quickly afterward if he accepted the deal.

Cornette's buddy basically kept drilling it into Jim's head that this YouTube guy was trying to screw them and Cornette doesn't know anything about YouTube or the internet so he bought it all. Unfortunately the editing and presentation is the only reason those videos weren't a hassle to bother with compared to what Brian Last does on his channel with music and various other things that no one wants to hear.

This is all from the perspective of the guy who ran that channel; he could be a lying rear end in a top hat who was trying to extort them because his stuff got views, as well. It is not possible to know at this time.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 19, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, I feel like stealing paid content and putting it on Youtube isn't exactly the strongest beginning for a relationship even if I miss those easily-digestible clips popping up in my feed.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao B&V

why do you watch this

I'm paid to

is it worth it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I miss being a subscriber on nights like tonight, where them making GBS threads on the product makes me feel less like I wasted my time, because at least there's some entertainment to be had in the aftermath.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, I feel like stealing paid content and putting it on Youtube isn't exactly the strongest beginning for a relationship even if I miss those easily-digestible clips popping up in my feed.

That's a very fair assessment. The guy who put the clips together and made the package seem meme-like had very little to no ground to stand on in that situation. I believe that Cornette and Last benefited pretty heavily from the exposure to non "Cult of Cornette" members, numbers-wise. They should very much continue what he was doing on their own but I don't think either really understands what was going on there or cares to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only other channel I've seen Cornette clips on has much less of a range of them and also has a really obnoxious intro at the start so, weh. There goes something I enjoyed using to kill some time at work.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The thing you have to remember is that Brian basically made the deal *instead of shutting down Talking Sense* when he and Jim (rightfully) decided to shut down the third party uploads so they could properly monetize everything. I dunno if they would have been better of just shutting down Talking Sense like ended up happening kind of, but maybe asking to make a deal to take over the channel would have been the best bet. It's all moot now, though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I apologize for not providing a law-abiding response to the situation initially. I stole music from the music industry in 1997 through 1999, which shows what kind of person I am.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

I apologize for not providing a law-abiding response to the situation initially. I stole music from the music industry in 1997 through 1999, which shows what kind of person I am.

I'm very ashamed of you for not continuing to steal music to this day.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's simply too easy to not steal music

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cornette said in his latest podcast that they’re giving the YouTube guy another chance and his stuff should be back up there soon

Also why not just download a podcast app and listen through there? It’s what I do and I’ve been listening to Cornettes shows whenever a new one comes out. It’s not hard to just jump around for stuff you’re interested interested in

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's too hard

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because listening to hours of podcast content to get through to what Jim thinks about one particular thing I'd like to hear about isn't necessarily a waste of my time, but having the topics sectioned out is convenient.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

Cornette said in his latest podcast that they’re giving the YouTube guy another chance and his stuff should be back up there soon

Also why not just download a podcast app and listen through there? It’s what I do and I’ve been listening to Cornettes shows whenever a new one comes out. It’s not hard to just jump around for stuff you’re interested interested in
No, he said they're giving YOUTUBE another chance. New, separate channel, not Talking Sense or Arcadian Vanguard.

As for the "why YouTube" question: For Corny-centric content, at least, the segmented clips by topic are clearly a big deal. But there are also a lot of people that just, for whatever reason, like opening podcasts audio in a background tab on YouTube and playing it that way.

(And I gotta say, as a reporter, finding segmented interview clips from shoots, old podcasts, etc. is a godsend for sourcing purposes.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

davidbix posted:

No, he said they're giving YOUTUBE another chance. New, separate channel, not Talking Sense or Arcadian Vanguard.

Ah I must have misheard, I thought he said “our YouTube guys” and assumed it was one of the previous ones

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1064418530316173312

Actual 1990 Dave Meltzer sentence read on this week's show: "While the Barr situation may well have been blown out of proportion in the Portland media--sex crimes often are--the fact is he did admit to police to having sex with a woman against her well and he did plea bargain a guilty plea rather than stand trial."

It was definitely a different time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

c bryan s: HEEEEEEAT