Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kingdom Hearts is a solid series of fun action RPGs but lol if you think the story is anything but some 13-year old's fanfic given way too much money.

That's what makes it good you loving rube.

nerdman42 posted:

I got no time for any series that doesn't 100% believe in itself, and nothing believes in itself more than Kingdom Hearts

See they get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

nerdman42 posted:

I got no time for any series that doesn't 100% believe in itself, and nothing believes in itself more than Kingdom Hearts

That's a fuckin' quote of the day right there.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nerdman42 posted:

... well played.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The fact that the two best lines in kingdom hearts are “I guess my summer vacation.. is over...” and “I’m already half Xehanort” is great. There’s a true earnestness to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Donald Duck explains everything you need to know about KH at the start of 1.

"No frowning! This boat runs on smiles!"
"or it's into the oubliette with you!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I personally think it's fun to imagine the game Kingdom Hearts could've been. Aladdin, Darkwing Duck and Rydia as a team. Kronk clumsily or competently assisting you through a gauntlet of heartless. Getting a Black Cauldron keychain that turns the keyblade actually into a sword. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I got off the train with Days (although I did buy 2.5 and replay some of 2). They play fine and I've come from genuinely liking it as a kid to hating it as a teen to respecting how high on its own supply it is now. But it's waaaaaaay too much for me personally. MAYBE I will get 3 if there's nothing else on the table at the time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Three just looks absurd in the best of ways.

You can really see how Sora has evolved as a fighter and character.

KH1 he's just some dumb kid who swings a big dumb key around and his idea of a finisher is a bunch of tiny energy blasts.

KH3, he's a reality warping demi-God that makes nightmare energy constructs out of nothing appear, often based on big dumb Disney things and he does basically whatever he feels like at any given time. gently caress you now he's going to hit you with a jack hammer after riding a dumbo ride around and then maybe he'll summon some goddamn bubbles for his own amusement, gently caress you

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I personally think it's fun to imagine the game Kingdom Hearts could've been. Aladdin, Darkwing Duck and Rydia as a team. Kronk clumsily or competently assisting you through a gauntlet of heartless. Getting a Black Cauldron keychain that turns the keyblade actually into a sword. :allears:

Actually yeah I will say one of the series' biggest obstacles is the contract stuff it's had to follow for so long. I'd love for other characters to join the main squad, but so many Disney properties aren't allowed to interact with each other. Only the villains really got away with it, the seven Princesses get to be in the same room once but they never look or talk in any similar direction.

Hell, Mickey was only allowed One physical appearance in the first game, but at least they used it well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
KH is good because you get to fight alongside the Best Princess, Mulan.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
kh3 combat is definitely going to have the strongest "this looks cool as hell factor" even if it isn't very mechanically sound

the fact that they're managing to top themselves in spectacle after BBS already had a character hexawielding six floating blades of light as a regular gameplay mechanic is really pretty impressive

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still weep at the disposal of Drive Forms after 2.

Anyway, here's a group of idiots who did a KH1 lp that I thought was fun if people really feel like slamming more DARKNESS into their face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UgnrFGH0dQ

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
When do they usually start up the it podcast stream?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It'll be 2pm EST today.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Woolie should do bad Donald Duck ASMR for charity.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've thought this before, but man is it stark how DmC Dante immediately sheds any real attitude beyond a few token moments after getting his amnesia lifted.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pat yelling "I WOULDN'T CALL IT THE BUPPETS" totally loving broke me. He sounds so indignant.

Also Pat calling DmC the best western character action game SEEMS wrong but I can't think of any to disprove him.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

I've thought this before, but man is it stark how DmC Dante immediately sheds any real attitude beyond a few token moments after getting his amnesia lifted.

He's a loving bore. Original Dante isn't especially deep or even interesting per se, but at least being flamboyant at least means you're more likely to have something fun to watch when he's on screen, especially in 3 or 4.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also Pat calling DmC the best western character action game SEEMS wrong but I can't think of any to disprove him.

Does the newest God of War count?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Darksiders shits all over DmC for free.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Darksiders shits all over DmC for free.

:hai:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i continue to question why it wasn't a bigger deal that DmC ripped off an entire arc from a Futurama episode

it's not even a Soylent reference or anything more classic, it's straight-up Slurm

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One Mr. Briggs would like a word with you fucker

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
X-Men Origins Wolverine is better than DMC Devil May Cry

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Oxxidation posted:

i continue to question why it wasn't a bigger deal that DmC ripped off an entire arc from a Futurama episode

it's not even a Soylent reference or anything more classic, it's straight-up Slurm

"World's most popular thing turns out to be disgusting in origin" was well worn by the time Futurama got to it. Hell, JJ Abrams was doing it in the late 90s with Slusho.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Captain Baal posted:

X-Men Origins Wolverine is better than DMC Devil May Cry
But that's... actually wait no, that game was surprisingly good, pretty gory finishing moves too. Didn't Matt do a one shot for it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd put one of the older GOW games over DmC, don't ask me which one, they're all a blur.

It's also interesting how their discussions about the conventions of character action clearly don't take factor in anything from Ninja Gaiden.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tupperwarez posted:

But that's... actually wait no, that game was surprisingly good, pretty gory finishing moves too. Didn't Matt do a one shot for it?

Matt is the only one of them who is actually going to play lovely middleware games that fell into obscurity and died and it's why I love him.

As I said though that game is actually legitimately fun and good and has better boss and enemy design than DmC, which is to say... it has both.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
marlowe briggs

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wanna say they played that game multiple times, Matt made Woolie play the HD version and Pat play the Wii version.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aces wild is a better character action game

Tons of things are better character action games

That weird GBA Spyro put out by the volgarr guys is probably a better character action game

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat's Hunter journeys have ended for the moment

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

Aces wild is a better character action game

Tons of things are better character action games

That weird GBA Spyro put out by the volgarr guys is probably a better character action game

The Mega Man Zero games are better character action games

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Rodyle posted:

Pat's Hunter journeys have ended for the moment

Now we gotta get him to read the manga and so he can see that terrifying horse lady stand

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Matt no, a dog can't have 99 puppies, even in a Disney movie. :negative:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"I haven't seen 101 Dalmations" is probably the worst thing Matt has ever said.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Roth posted:

"I haven't seen 101 Dalmations" is probably the worst thing Matt has ever said.

:agreed:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Them checking the other doors is such a strange thing to me because I've had this game in my head for as long as it existed and I just know instinctively that they're fake

Like why are you bothering oh right you never played this before

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burkion posted:

Them checking the other doors is such a strange thing to me because I've had this game in my head for as long as it existed and I just know instinctively that they're fake

Like why are you bothering oh right you never played this before

I'm still eternally mad that the concept of 'locked' things still exists in this game.

They give you an item that can unlock anything and then still have the gall to go 'no, for reasons' at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HxK9e2HFJk

I wonder if the simple answer is actually 'there's been a change of leadership within Sony and the new boss is more prudish. This may not cause a chain reaction at all.'