Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think Taus could have been almost salvageable if they had doubled down on the "Dogs of War: IIIINNNN SPPPAAACCEEE!" thing, like all sorts of weird little xenos units. And it seems like this was a concept for Taus early on if you look at media like DoW 1?

Instead of lovely mecha, which is the direction they "leaned into" (as the kids say these days)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Schadenboner posted:

Did they literally cause the great rift?

No that was Abaddon

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Blockhouse posted:

No that was Abaddon

Is it possible he’s actually a Tau?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Tau thought that Imperial warp travel was just a fancier version of their drive, and didn't believe any of the "this shortcut is through Hell" stories because they're Enlightened and Sophisticated.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

MizPiz posted:

I remember the days when Alexios Jonus would wonder the hive and harass arbites by accusing them of being genestealers

they turned the slann gay

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Schadenboner posted:

Is it possible he’s actually a Tau?

No arms, checks out.

Tau would be much better without the Tau. Just a bunch of (awesome) alien races banding together to fight... well, everyone else, optimistic, but still hardcore (like Kroot are).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Every other major race has had a chance to gently caress up the galaxy so it only fair that they got a chance at it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JcDent posted:

No arms, checks out.

Tau would be much better without the Tau. Just a bunch of (awesome) alien races banding together to fight... well, everyone else, optimistic, but still hardcore (like Kroot are).

I remember when the Tau were introduced and a lot of my friends and I were psyched to see a Dogs-of-War alien coalition that would allow a bunch of outlying 40k xeno stuff to show up. Also I like mecha and that was cool but I thought the designs were kinda whack compared to what else was out there.

... but the Kroot were too Orky I guess to gain enough interest and had a limp model line to reflect their genetic variance and the Vespid sculpts weren’t very good and the mech suits were the only thing that sold so now here we are.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Kroot mechs. Boom.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I actually like what they've done with the Tau. There's just something satisfying about having a faction that's ostensibly logical and technocratic while actually being the psychic thralls of an elite class who almost literally popped into existence out of nowhere and use rationality as a brainwashing tool.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

MizPiz posted:

I actually like what they've done with the Tau. There's just something satisfying about having a faction that's ostensibly logical and technocratic while actually being the psychic thralls of an elite class who almost literally popped into existence out of nowhere and use rationality as a brainwashing tool.

*extremely debate&discussion voice* Uhh the "dems bad" thread is that way friendo

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Eponymous posted:

Kroot mechs. Boom.

Sign me the gently caress up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eponymous posted:

Kroot mechs. Boom.

Kroot who have eaten enough Space Marines to start turning into krooty versions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Excuse me, I think you'll find the Tau are in a chemical thrall, not a psychic one. It is very different because it doesn't lead to blood-demons emerging from your eye sockets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Kroot who have eaten enough Space Marines Dreadnoughts to start turning into krooty versions.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ashcans posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find the Tau are in a chemical thrall, not a psychic one. It is very different because it doesn't lead to blood-demons emerging from your eye sockets.

Pls watch my YouTube series on chemthralls

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ashcans posted:

Except daemons explicitly go after the Ethereals whenever they encounter Tau, at least suggesting that they are psychically sensitive.

Edit: Plus that crystal thing on their heads doesn't actually do anything, or at least nothing biological.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 17, 2018

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want a Kaiju-sized Kroot.

Krootju? Krootzilla? Krootdorah?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if kroot eat genestealers?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if kroot eat genestealers?

I thought they specifically did not eat Tyranids, along with Chaos corrupted stuff, to avoid turning into an 80's John Carpenter film?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't smell right and wouldn't be beneficial to the shape.

Just feed them on squiggoths.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember a 40k novel were Some guardsmen were exploring some ruins and were being aided by a Kroot mercenary. They ended up fighting what appeared to be traitor guardsmen and after dealing with them, the Kroot took a bite out of one. He spat it out right away and pretty much went "Yep thats a Genestealer hybrid."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember a 40k novel were Some guardsmen were exploring some ruins and were being aided by a Kroot mercenary. They ended up fighting what appeared to be traitor guardsmen and after dealing with them, the Kroot took a bite out of one. He spat it out right away and pretty much went "Yep thats a Genestealer hybrid."

Yep, that was a Ciaphas Cain book and it was a team of Tau pathfinders and kroot teaming up with Cain and Amberley hunting a cult of some kind. The presence of genestealers also makes the kroot freak the gently caress out and go absolutely berserk.

susan posted:

I thought they specifically did not eat Tyranids, along with Chaos corrupted stuff, to avoid turning into an 80's John Carpenter film?

I think there's been at least one short story where the Kroot did eat some Chaos cultists and marines, and the Tau then sent in their own troops to exterminate the corrupted kroot.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I think there's been at least one short story where the Kroot did eat some Chaos cultists and marines, and the Tau then sent in their own troops to exterminate the corrupted kroot.

It's Dark Crusade, I think.

I wish I could do the voice that narrator did.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MizPiz posted:

Except daemons explicitly go after the Ethereals whenever they encounter Tau, at least suggesting that they are psychically sensitive.

Edit: Plus that crystal thing on their heads doesn't actually do anything, or at least nothing biological.

One of the random books (Xenology?) suggests that the Eldar created the ethereals to organize/civilize the Tau. Their head organ is remarkably similar to one from another arachnid species which are chemically controlled by a queen with the same organ, and the Eldar had abducted one in the distant past. So it's possible that ethereals are more psychically active as part of their elevation, or that Chaos understands their role. Normal Tau have a negligible psychic presence, which is why they don't have any innate psychics develop and are relatively unaffected by things like demonic possession. I think that also used to be part of the explanation for their travel - they were able to skim the warp for short distances because they were very hard for demons to notice, but I think they may have changed that to them using a different technology altogether?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashcans posted:

but I think they may have changed that to them using a different technology altogether?

Nah, they still use that. Tau FTL technology is far safer than normal Warp travel, but also far slower. All of the Tau's client races who had developed FTL on their own - the Kroot, Demiurg, and Nicassar - apparently use normal Warp travel and so are much faster than the Tau, but their travel is also much riskier.

The Tau think the Warp is too dangerous to seriously experiment with and have no interest in pursuing a more typical Warp drive despite their current technology's disadvantages.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well they did think that way. *Now* they have experimented with the Warp and if this wasn't a game it would have destroyed their empire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mulva posted:

Well they did think that way. *Now* they have experimented with the Warp and if this wasn't a game it would have destroyed their empire.

That's what I meant. They experimented with the Warp and concluded nope nope nope.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

MizPiz posted:

They're giant scrubs now though, *in extremely Dracula voice* the same can be said for all non Chaos or Marine factions though

Schadenboner posted:

I think Taus could have been almost salvageable if they had doubled down on the "Dogs of War: IIIINNNN SPPPAAACCEEE!" thing, like all sorts of weird little xenos units. And it seems like this was a concept for Taus early on if you look at media like DoW 1?

Instead of lovely mecha, which is the direction they "leaned into" (as the kids say these days)?

I loved them as high tech space communists to the space nazis that are the Imperium of Man, and while I agree that they should have just went nuts with xenos ground units....loving giant robots are cool, but maybe they should have leaned into other anime popular in decades outside of the 80's like Robotech, but apparently no one has heard of Gundam there.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 17, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ashcans posted:

One of the random books (Xenology?) suggests that the Eldar created the ethereals to organize/civilize the Tau. Their head organ is remarkably similar to one from another arachnid species which are chemically controlled by a queen with the same organ, and the Eldar had abducted one in the distant past. So it's possible that ethereals are more psychically active as part of their elevation, or that Chaos understands their role. Normal Tau have a negligible psychic presence, which is why they don't have any innate psychics develop and are relatively unaffected by things like demonic possession. I think that also used to be part of the explanation for their travel - they were able to skim the warp for short distances because they were very hard for demons to notice, but I think they may have changed that to them using a different technology altogether?

I could've sworn that the connection has been refuted. The newer books not only show that the Ethereals knew about the dangers of the warp and Chaos in particular, suggesting that the caste has had experience with it, they've had a Tau get possessed by a daemon and made Farsight* at the very least warp sensitive. Also, the way Daemons specifically went after the Ethereals was more akin to an animal hungrily going after a treat; it really doesn't make sense to single-mindedly target the leaders when wholesale slaughter is a more immediate solution.

*This could also just be from the fact that Farsight is an Anime Protagonist

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Farsight uses a Deamon Weapon, that's going to marinate you in enough warp energy to make the even the least psychic person into a psyker.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 17, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

wiegieman posted:

Firesight uses a Deamon Weapon, that's going to marinate you in enough warp energy to make the even the least psychic person into a psyker.

I already conceded that he's an Anime Protagonist

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Going with "well most of the tau aren't sentient enough to have the emotions the Warp feeds off of" is not helping the tau be interesting or fit in any better.

They surely would have worked better as an alien alliance that fights for self-determination or the highest bidder. Psychic Space Communism would also be fine but they don't lean into it hard enough because it makes most of their people feel like dopes. "Luv my mind-controlled thralls controlled by grays." There's also been clear resistance to writing them as in any way influential on greater galactic happenings.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Tau really aren't influential on the galactic stage, though. They don't have the communications or travel tech to expand much further than they have, and their logistical approach of putting plasma guns in the hands of every soldier really only works because there's so few of them. The Imperium has met and crushed dozens or hundreds of civilizations like theirs in the past, and they've only had their successes because the Tyranids are a bigger problem and the Eldar were probably helping them on the sly. The Damocles Gulf crusade would have exterminated every last Tau in the galaxy if they hadn't had to divert to fighting the hive fleets - the Imperium sent the White Scars to deal with them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

wiegieman posted:

The Tau really aren't influential on the galactic stage, though. They don't have the communications or travel tech to expand much further than they have, and their logistical approach of putting plasma guns in the hands of every soldier really only works because there's so few of them. The Imperium has met and crushed dozens or hundreds of civilizations like theirs in the past, and they've only had their successes because the Tyranids are a bigger problem and the Eldar were probably helping them on the sly. The Damocles Gulf crusade would have exterminated every last Tau in the galaxy if they hadn't had to divert to fighting the hive fleets - the Imperium sent the White Scars to deal with them.

They're not important because they're not supposed to be important, I see. This makes them a really attractive choice to do anything with or write anything about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

That's what I meant. They experimented with the Warp and concluded nope nope nope.

Not quite. Very recently the Tau created one seemed to be a stable warp drive. It worked well and the Ethereals intended to use it to launch their next wave of expansion with the Damocles Gulf cut off. The Earth Caste Scientist responsible for its creation wanted to do more testing first. Stating that they had not tested warping tons of ships from near the same location, but the Ethereals overruled him and went ahead. Upon which the 4th expansion fleet was sucked into the warp and communication was lost.

After that hit to morale several years later communication was reestablished and a wormhole opened were the fleet originally vanished. The Tau got their 5th fleet ready and sent the force through the hole to find the 4th fleet. Which they did, finding themselves on the other side of the galaxy. (And in control of one of the few stable passages that leads through the great rift.) About half of the 4th fleet was gone, and all the alien auxiliaries were missing from it. The 4th fleet Tau were a bit more intense than usual and displayed a great deal of hostility to the 5th fleets auxiliaries, to the point that the 5th fleet gave up on having their auxiliaries work with the 4th fleet Tau.

It was revealed that the 4th fleet Tau had butchered their auxiliaries. The reason being when they got trapped in the warp, daemons attacked the fleet largely focusing on the ships holding auxiliaries (The Tau's low psychic presence made them more or less invisible to the daemons.) Many of their ships were destroyed or knocked through warp rifts sending them to random locations in the galaxy. However suddenly the 4th fleet was saved by a Warp Entity resembling a faceless buddhaish multi armed ethereal. Nicknamed the god of the greater good, it wants the spread of it's creed through the galaxy and opens a hole in the warp for the 4th fleet to go through (which also opens the original hole they opened back up.) The 4th fleet Tau realizing the psychic races that joined the empire created the warp entity. So they kill all of their non tau allies to try and starve the entity viewing it as a corruption of their creed, and decide they need to commit full on xenocide of all non Tau races to get rid of it. However they feel they can't tell the rest of the Tau Empire about it, cause it could cause the empire to fall apart from the controversy. So they have have to eliminate their allies in secret.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They're not important because they're not supposed to be important, I see. This makes them a really attractive choice to do anything with or write anything about.

Yeah, the main problem with T'au has always been how GW has treated them, in regards to the backlash against them. A mere 1k years and this small civilization has this much tech? Clearly they are on the rise and only going to get more...sorry...sorry, it was a Warpstorm lasting 40k years in there time. Space Communists that work with other races, even insidiously? Anime Star Trek crap

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
the best thing about the tau is they are always OP as hell in any 40k video game that implements them

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean has there ever been a good video game that implemented them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pharmaskittle posted:

Pls watch my YouTube series on chemthralls

:ck5: