Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

Sweden has like, workers' rights and poo poo, so it may just be that the firing process isn't instant the way it is in America

An employer must give notice at least one month in advance of a termination. For employees that have been employed for at least two years, this extends to two months, then two three months after six years, four months after eight years, etc. up to six months. There's a few exceptions but they wouldn't apply here. If an employee resigns, they must give one month's notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

LatwPIAT posted:

An employer must give notice at least one month in advance of a termination. For employees that have been employed for at least two years, this extends to two months, then two three months after six years, four months after eight years, etc. up to six months. There's a few exceptions but they wouldn't apply here. If an employee resigns, they must give one month's notice.

There are some grounds for instant dismissal - e.g. Gross Misconduct, but writing dodgy text isn't going to be one in most cases, and it needs to be investigated before they act. The other thing companies do sometimes is put people on gardening leave. You hand in your notice, and don't come to work for the rest of the notice period. Usually done in cases where your work is financially sensitive and they don't want you moving on with current knowledge of the business, or you have access to critical systems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

So, there's a ground rule I follow with this kind of poo poo. Real, reliable sources or my only reaction will be amused disbelieve.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Jazerus posted:

the true embarassment is a grown rear end man going by "swedracula"

I came to the conclusion awhile back to discontinue my use of that, because it just plays off of his oh-so-edgy persona (seriously, do a image search for "Martin Ericcson white wolf"), a persona I don't think is particularly earned. He'll always be Marty to me.

But yeah, I wouldn't expect some big public axing or freelancer condemnation. As much as it would make us feel better, it just wouldn't be professional. I wouldn't necessarily expect the people involved to be out of a job per se, but that's probably not any of my business. The fact that this is being ended, both publicly and sharply, is probably enough for me. If they show that they're working with a certain freelancer again, that'd change things, but I wouldn't expect them to at this point.

One thing that surprised even me is that I told Paradox Entertainment that I'd be boycotting them while they were employing a certain writer, I actually managed to stick to it. I know my act probably didn't have any real impact on a $800,000,000+ company and their decisions, but I guess I might be allowing myself to look into games they publish again.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The best take so far

https://twitter.com/clearascrystal/status/1063686636372992000

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, there is no way they are going to put on a big show of purging the company. I assume everyone will be quietly let go, or allowed to finish their contracts and not get rehired.

But do you really think in such a small industry people won't remember "Botched the White Wolf relaunch it caused an international incident"? I do wonder what the sales were like for V5 over all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ultimately an TRPG project for a company like Paradox is essentially a vanity project / IP farm, I'm not certain sales would be that big a deal as long as it least turns a profit. The thing is, I'd presume they were probably being tossed more money than most RPG companies would know what to do with - or, at least, the amount of publicity spending they were doing seemed to well exceed what they were actually releasing? I can't speak as an authority, but they were going around doing international flights to shows for years trying to hype folks up before they had even an inkling of a dead tree product to show off.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
In all the hype lead up I did kind of wonder what Martin and pals were promising Paradox in terms of returns on the ttrpg. The way they were talking it up and how they were going back to "traditional media channels" and "recapturing the zeitgeist" made me think they were envisioning a similar return of market share. Having sat in on more than a few meetings with absurd calculations about accessible market and possibility for share capture, I would not put it past nuWW to have sold their plan on "well, old WW was about 25% of the market, and dnd 5e has made upper eight figures in its lifetime, so we can make $30M with v5!". Which would be batshit, but nuWW seems to have a lot of ideas about how ttrpgs work in 2018 that aren't based on much more than wishful thinking, so...

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I emailed Jorjani the other day and got a fairly quick response. The main gist is that PDX will be continuing to at least think about making analog games within the White Wolf brand, but the phrasing made it pretty clear that it’s not their top priority moving forward.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ultimately an TRPG project for a company like Paradox is essentially a vanity project / IP farm, I'm not certain sales would be that big a deal as long as it least turns a profit. The thing is, I'd presume they were probably being tossed more money than most RPG companies would know what to do with - or, at least, the amount of publicity spending they were doing seemed to well exceed what they were actually releasing? I can't speak as an authority, but they were going around doing international flights to shows for years trying to hype folks up before they had even an inkling of a dead tree product to show off.

The first few months, before they even ran their premier blockbuster physically-accosted-from-behind send-your-headshot-to-be-cast LARP, was to license the IP & imagery rights to a slot machine; I imagine such an early windfall got them a lot of rope and budget.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Something no-one's pointed out yet is that the letter says "We are recruiting new leadership to guide White Wolf both creatively and commercially into the future, a process that has been ongoing since September." I think after the Gencon launch bombed or at least did not sell the pie-in-the-sky numbers that they promised, they decided to restructure/annex the company, and accelerated that when this happened.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

"Recruiting new leadership" in particular suggests that Ericsson, if he isn't out already, will be out once his replacement is found - at least, if he's still in post as Lead Storyteller then that just can't credibly be spun as "new leadership" and Paradox ought to have their feet held to the fire over it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Even if he's not let go they'll probably be making decisions about the WoD that he'll be so unhappy about he'll quit. He promised them a bunch of stuff since 2015 that has totally failed to materialized. His plan for the company is done.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 17, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personally I don't think 'lead storyteller' will be a position any more with their new focus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think the biggest issue is whether Paradox is going to apologize to the Russian government and their Chechen toadies if they decide to be serious about suing then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hi Tradgames thread: have some more Rein*Hagen crowing loudly about how awesomely transgressive he is.
https://www.facebook.com/667137239/posts/10157114918242240/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm glad he's getting told.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm glad he's getting told.

He really isn't if you go read the comments, it's mostly people doing the same song and dance about SJWs and free speech, and now Vampire will be made by pussies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Proud of the Black Dog line, so he must have a lot of writing cred- oh, wait, no. Then maybe he was developer on- oh, no, no. Not there either. Hm.

That also means being as proud of, say, Charnel Houses of Europe as you are Freak Legion and Montreal by Night. Nelson_laugh.gif

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, you could never publish books like that now. Except for all the Black Dog books that are still available through publication. It's not like they've miraculously been banned. You can still go pay money for a brand-new physical copy of Destiny's Price, if for some reason you want to. (You probably don't.)

And yeah, Black Dog was his "life's work?" Man, remember all the Black Dog books he wrote for? All zero of them? Hell, the grand majority of them were released after he left the company, and I don't think he put a pen to any of them. I mean, I guess he could take the credit for laying the rail, but he didn't run that train. Pretty sure he was busy writing and producing Kindred: the Embraced at the time, speaking of Vampire being defanged... of course, it's also easy to forget that the Black Dog Game Factory imprint wasn't originally even devised for the World of Darkness - it was HOL: Human Occupied Landfill that got them to come up with it, a book they published, but did not develop.

And hasn't he gotten to publish games on his own? Didn't that happen? Nobody stopped I Am Zombie from publication, though in retrospect, it wouldn't have exactly been a tragedy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I mean, I believe personally that there's a value to transgression and boundary pushing, but why is it that these chucklefucks never seem to understand that they aren't actually transgressing or pushing boundaries, just being dickheads retreading incredibly boring, old, pointless ground?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You know what, I'll just say it: it takes a special kind of chucklefuck with the ability to publish his own games to whine about being censored because a company wasn't satisfied with his work.

Of course, if those whining about the cancellation of Vampire and lining up to defend him were really fans of Mark, they'd be lining up to make I Am Zombie a RPGnow bestseller, wouldn't they? His raw, uncensored work without any interference from- oh, they aren't? Not at all? It's almost as if they don't genuinely give a poo poo about that sort of thing...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
But without famous Black Dog-imprint book, Eternal Hearts, how would we know the transgressive truth that Sascha Vykos trolls internet chatrooms in between violently raping people?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I like the random little sympathy tries in there. A priest was mean to me once!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The problem with folks like Rein*Hagen is that they frame transgression and boundary pushing as a universal good onto itself, and also disclaim any responsibility for the what happens to anyone else when they do it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

His arguments now are "Any action is permissible so long as it raises awareness, and such actions are inherently liberal acts" and "But mom! All the cool kids were doing it! Why am I the one getting in trouble!"

(This is apparently from here: https://www.facebook.com/667137239/posts/10157094941392240/ but I can't read it)

Note how he doesn't give examples of other shows that are doing what he's doing. Probably because those shows have sufficiently fictionalized their context so that it doesn't endanger real people, or because they're shows about people who are long dead and can no longer be injured.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It would also raise awareness if I hit him with my car while yelling 'death to homophobes', but somehow I don't think he'd be okay with that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

It would also raise awareness if I hit him with my car while yelling 'death to homophobes', but somehow I don't think he'd be okay with that.

When he said that people should be willing to die for their beliefs he meant that other people should be willing to die for his beliefs.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I'm deeply sorry he's being censored, and he is, but ah maybe getting your company in the cross hairs of maniacal dictatorship (which would otherwise just be brave) but somehow in the process making GBS threads on the group they're trying to wipe out means you shouldn't have been in the position in the first place for them to censor you. Maybe, just maybe, the fact you were censored in this instance was your own fault and the result of reasonable people trying to loving extinguished the fire you started.

Like I want to note, this isn't even him getting in trouble for making a mass murdering state using pogroms' or crackdowns on marginalized group x as a smoke screen for their Vampire masters' real plans. It's for doing it to a community who is currently experiencing this right now.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 18, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He's right in that prior to this incident I didn't know that these things were happening. The problem is that He wasn't the one that told us these things were happening. Other people did after bringing this nonsense to my attention.

The text in the book flanking this segment is so fantastical it's practically begging you to doubt it. NuWolf Chechnya is actually run fairly openly by a facist muslim vampire cabal almost to the point that you could walk out onto the streets and scream "I'M A VAMPIRE" with no repercussions. So "The leader is actually a ghouled puppet who runs homosexual death camps as a front for our feeding, relying on the liberal outrage to obscure the true purpose" comes off as more ludicrous fictionalization. There is nothing in the book indicating this one specific loving thing is actually sort of real. No sidebar. No footnote. No dedication to the real victims. No "Hey if you care about these things maybe donate to these charities" which are all things that Old White Wolf has done in the past.

And a sidebar is the bare minimum you need to loving do.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

He's right in that prior to this incident I didn't know that these things were happening. The problem is that He wasn't the one that told us these things were happening. Other people did after bringing this nonsense to my attention.

The text in the book flanking this segment is so fantastical it's practically begging you to doubt it. NuWolf Chechnya is actually run fairly openly by a facist muslim vampire cabal almost to the point that you could walk out onto the streets and scream "I'M A VAMPIRE" with no repercussions. So "The leader is actually a ghouled puppet who runs homosexual death camps as a front for our feeding, relying on the liberal outrage to obscure the true purpose" comes off as more ludicrous fictionalization. There is nothing in the book indicating this one specific loving thing is actually sort of real. No sidebar. No footnote. No dedication to the real victims. No "Hey if you care about these things maybe donate to these charities" which are all things that Old White Wolf has done in the past.

And a sidebar is the bare minimum you need to loving do.

His attitude about this is very much in the same vein as what passed for transgressive activism 30 goddamn years ago. "Hey Daaaad, this thing exists! Here is my likely extremely simplistic and stereotype-y fictional version of it. If ethnicity comes up it'll probably be racist." Except, as you note, any random reader who doesn't already know this poo poo is going on, particularly young "THE MAN :argh:" new recruits, are likely to believe this off-hand reference is totally fictional top-to-bottom.

He's invoking lovely, lazy activism that he barely had a part in decades ago, which was done more and better by others, and he's doing it especially badly even by those ancient, inadequate standards.

Also never forget he fabricated domestic abuse allegations against Olivia Hill to bolster his argument that Nazis will get real sad and stop being Nazis if enough of us let them take the first shot.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If the dude wants to be transgressive he should be celebrating because this is probably the most controversial thing ever in rpgs.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Gays are getting exterminated, and a straight white man found a way to get some personal profit out of it" is boundary-pushing and progressive now? Because it sounds pretty old and familiar, honestly. (Plus, you know, being... shall we say, in poor taste?)

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
I mean, he is technically correct in that raising awareness while not actually doing anything to substantially address the issue is an extremely liberal thing to do.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Look pals! We're helping!

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1063953545030979589?s=19

(This is the SIGMATA guy, talking about his "sales strategy")

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 18, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
SuperCentrist sure is upset that we made fun of his badly-written RPG.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1063970677101916161

What an absolute loving baby.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just to be clear I'm fine with the industry thread being used to talk about a designer's thoughts on sales and marketing, but try to keep it on that topic. This isn't grognards.txt :v:

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Back in the 90s, when I was first getting into progressive groups and causes, there were plenty of aging boomer activists who showed up to meetings and were all butthurt that the kids these days didn't find their hippie bullshit relevant to what was going on then. Doesn't seem like I can post on MR*H's little pity party, but I wonder if he realizes the irony that he's basically the irrelevant gen-x equivalent to the flower child sitting in the corner, smugly taking credit for all these advances and not understanding why no one finds his approach meaningful 30 years after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Desiden posted:

Back in the 90s, when I was first getting into progressive groups and causes, there were plenty of aging boomer activists who showed up to meetings and were all butthurt that the kids these days didn't find their hippie bullshit relevant to what was going on then. Doesn't seem like I can post on MR*H's little pity party, but I wonder if he realizes the irony that he's basically the irrelevant gen-x equivalent to the flower child sitting in the corner, smugly taking credit for all these advances and not understanding why no one finds his approach meaningful 30 years after the fact.

transgression for transgression's sake has been a strong through-line in the WoD books no matter who wrote them, although the better books have a lot less of it

busting up white wolf and putting the IP in fresh hands is probably the only way to get away from their eternal-90s "what if it was a role playing game, but with tits and gore" take on everything