Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I generally pass down my old phone/tablets to my mom or brother once I upgrade.

Same. And it typically means they get last years model of whatever (although that's slowing down now)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I didn't bother passing down the iPad 3.

Also same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Didn’t they also switch the port from 30-pin to lightning?
Yeah that was the 4th gen but the lightning switch happened later on, maybe with price drop when the iPad Air came out?

I forget if the 3rd gen was "The new iPad" or "iPad with Retina display", technically the latter works but I think they used that name for the 4th. I remember trading an iPad in to Target or Best Buy and had a laugh when the menu had "The new iPad" in it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I got my very first ipad!!

... so what do i put on this thing?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Awful App, obviously.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

coolusername posted:

I got my very first ipad!!

... so what do i put on this thing?

Do you have an iPhone or is this your first iOS thing?

What do you need app wise? I’m sure people can give better recommendations if you said like “I’m looking for a x.”

Or do you mean literally what to put on it, like a screen protector or something.

E: vvv no need to apologize! vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 15, 2018

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have an iPhone or is this your first iOS thing?

What do you need app wise? I’m sure people can give better recommendations if you said like “I’m looking for a x.”

Or do you mean literally what to put on it, like a screen protector or something.

First IOS thing since the original ipod with the clickt wheel. Also sorry, I was just excited. It only just arrived.

1. Sketching art program.
2. Digital art program.
3. Good youtube app.
4. Some light games you can play in small sessions offline.
5. Any recommendations you have.

eames
May 9, 2009

I recently found my old iPad 3 but don’t own a 30 pin cable to charge it. I never realized that it was viewed as such a bad product but it makes sense now.
It shall now sit on my desk as a reminder not to buy the $300 iPad until it has USB-C. :shobon:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

coolusername posted:

First IOS thing since the original ipod with the clickt wheel. Also sorry, I was just excited. It only just arrived.

1. Sketching art program.
2. Digital art program.
3. Good youtube app.
4. Some light games you can play in small sessions offline.
5. Any recommendations you have.
What defines 1 and 2 from each other, like relatively basic (or simulating natural media?) vs something more like Photoshop? In any case to get you started: Affinity Photo/Designer, Procreate, Pixelmator, Sketchbook Pro.

3. I just use YouTube in Safari, particularly since iOS 12 made full screen and picture in picture work with website players. Artificially limited to 720/30 though, if that matters.

5. Did you get a Pencil?

eames posted:

I recently found my old iPad 3 but don’t own a 30 pin cable to charge it. I never realized that it was viewed as such a bad product but it makes sense now.
It shall now sit on my desk as a reminder not to buy the $300 iPad until it has USB-C. :shobon:

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Has anyone used the new Pro with a USB-C monitor? I’ve got a 4K screen and I currently put my MacBook through it, usually for browsing and videos, and it isn’t exactly super smooth. I tried my current iPad with Airplay but in Safari when I start a video and then change tabs on the iPad screen it pauses the video; does that happen on the USB-C connection? Ideally I’d like to have it hooked up with a wireless keyboard for typing stuff in while I’m doing other stuff on my PC elsewhere.

You’ve all made me feel very guilty for passing down an old iPad 3 to my dad so I am more likely to upgrade now. I asked him and he just uses his phone and kindle instead.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I'm gonna throw Ivory out there as the best YouTube client for iOS, since it does background audio and PiP without having to pay for youtube red, even though the app does cost $2.99 to get, but thats worth it for me to not have to pay a subscription to google for making absolutely awful "content" that I will never watch.

And as for game, any option that isn't Pocket City is wrong.

Check out GamePlay too, it's a website that uses HTML5 and Google Drive to create a fully usable Gameboy in the iOS browser. Not exactly limited to iPads since its perfect for iPhones as well. It has some limitations due to being browser based, such as being unable to survive the app being closed, but once you know to save before exiting (like a real Gameboy back in the day) it works great.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

That sounds nice but think I’ll still keep paying for Red just to avoid ads.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Digital Jesus posted:

That sounds nice but think I’ll still keep paying for Red just to avoid ads.

Ivory blocks youtube ads. Forgot to mention that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SaturdayKnight posted:

I'm gonna throw Ivory out there as the best YouTube client for iOS, since it does background audio and PiP without having to pay for youtube red, even though the app does cost $2.99 to get, but thats worth it for me to not have to pay a subscription to google for making absolutely awful "content" that I will never watch.

I like Ivory too but it still has some weird bug where it won’t play anything above 720p for me and sometimes you have to restart videos if you do something cuz it’ll black screen.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

I like Ivory too but it still has some weird bug where it won’t play anything above 720p for me and sometimes you have to restart videos if you do something cuz it’ll black screen.

I think it's because it's basically abusing the YouTube embed API which can limit resolution available to offsite users, hence why Ivory won't play stuff over 720p sometimes. The PiP is the biggest reason I use it though so the resolution being limited doesn't really get to me. I guess if 1080p matters a lot to someone they can use the site for that. Ivory ain't for everyone but it gives me the features I want.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I was going to guess whatever weirdness with that app has something to do with the way it uses/abuses the API. sorta like how all of those YouTube downloader sites can only do 720p

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SaturdayKnight posted:

I think it's because it's basically abusing the YouTube embed API which can limit resolution available to offsite users, hence why Ivory won't play stuff over 720p sometimes. The PiP is the biggest reason I use it though so the resolution being limited doesn't really get to me. I guess if 1080p matters a lot to someone they can use the site for that. Ivory ain't for everyone but it gives me the features I want.
As of iOS 12 there's a new fullscreen API* that does actual full screen and PiP with web players like YouTube's. The full screen zoom gesture doesn't work (YouTube gives the BS message about not supporting full screen) but the full screen button in the corner does. It shows the web player controls but in the upper left has the close X and PiP buttons. They limit the mobile web player to 720p/30 too if that matters.

There's also some shortcut someone made to PiP stuff but shortcuts are a bit annoying to get to.

*It was on for me but it's in experimental features section of Safari settings so I'm not sure it's meant to be a default thing or not. Occasionally it does some weird stuff with other players, and some players have annoying controls not really meant for touch, so there's a little loss there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Have any companies come out with non-poo poo 3rd party folios or covers? As in, doesn’t block the Face ID camera and Pencil charging.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Proteus Jones posted:

Have any companies come out with non-poo poo 3rd party folios or covers? As in, doesn’t block the Face ID camera and Pencil charging.

I got this one today: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4L893T

I am super happy with it so far. That color appears to be out of stock but they make other ones. I don't have an apple pencil yet to test with, but all accounts say it's compatible. I was a bit worried about the magnets holding it onto the ipad properly, but it seems to do a great job so far and I had to give it a pretty good shake while holding it upside down to get it to come off accidentally. It was easy enough to separate intentionally, though. It feels very good, fits very well, and I have zero issues with smart lock. It's not the cheapest case out there but so far it is excellent!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

I am super happy with it so far. That color appears to be out of stock but they make other ones. I don't have an apple pencil yet to test with, but all accounts say it's compatible. I was a bit worried about the magnets holding it onto the ipad properly, but it seems to do a great job so far and I had to give it a pretty good shake while holding it upside down to get it to come off accidentally. It was easy enough to separate intentionally, though. It feels very good, fits very well, and I have zero issues with smart lock. It's not the cheapest case out there but so far it is excellent!

Thanks. I have the 12.9” but it looks like I’d get it in 10 days. And the price is low enough I’m willing to gamble on it. It also seems to be the only 3rd party maker that uses the magnets on the back as opposed to being a shell.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Thanks. I have the 12.9” but it looks like I’d get it in 10 days. And the price is low enough I’m willing to gamble on it. It also seems to be the only 3rd party maker that uses the magnets on the back as opposed to being a shell.

Cool. Good luck! Report back for others!

Edit: As a warning, the size was listed wrong on the box for mine - it said 10.5 (as all the other reviews say as well) but it was perfectly correct. I don't think the 12.9 will have that same "problem" but you never know.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My son has a 2017 iPad, are there any Wacoms that are compatible with it? He's already a really talented artist at seven. His cousin who does it professionally told us that the earlier we can get him used to the Wacom the better off he will be as that's been a huge challenge for her transitioning off of paper.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I haven't looked into it but I can almost guarantee there aren't. The 2018 iPad is compatible with the Apple Pencil though which is functionally very similar.

Also personally as someone else who does this professionally I'd disagree with his cousin. Drawing tablets take a bit of getting used to but it's nothing insurmountable, and at that age I think getting the foundations in with physical media is way more important.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Koramei posted:

Also personally as someone else who does this professionally I'd disagree with his cousin. Drawing tablets take a bit of getting used to but it's nothing insurmountable, and at that age I think getting the foundations in with physical media is way more important.

I transitioned from paper very easily because paper is a pain in the rear end compared to an iPads accessibility. I draw and doodle a lot more when my iPad already has a fresh pad and sharp pencil at all times that will never run out of sheets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I finally unboxed my keyboard case and while it is just as great to type on as the first one what in the gently caress were they thinking when you have to hold it with the keys facing out? It really feels like they do not want to you use it as a case when not in keyboard mode.

Not sure if I am going to keep it at this point but it is a drat nice keyboard.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

So I finally unboxed my keyboard case and while it is just as great to type on as the first one what in the gently caress were they thinking when you have to hold it with the keys facing out? It really feels like they do not want to you use it as a case when not in keyboard mode.

Not sure if I am going to keep it at this point but it is a drat nice keyboard.

My pixelbook does that too when it's in tablet mode. It drove me nuts for probably 3 weeks every time I had it in tablet mode. Then I got over it. I expect you probably will too, although it really is an annoying design choice (albeit probably a necessary one in the pixelbook's case).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Koramei posted:

I haven't looked into it but I can almost guarantee there aren't. The 2018 iPad is compatible with the Apple Pencil though which is functionally very similar.
Unless you’re comparing to a Cintiq I’d say iPad and Pencil is better...and even compared to Cintiq it seems like most people still consider the iPad/Pencil to be better.

For the OP, technically Wacom makes styluses for iPad but they suck like any other non Pencil stylus (other than the Logitech Crayon maybe, which uses the same tech but more limited). If his cousin was using those Wacoms maybe that’s why transitioning off paper was so hard :v:

quote:

At that age I wonder if there’s also some developmental benefits to the tactile nature and learning/experimenting with different media. Might be part of the difficulty of switching to digital, but also gives knowledge of how the different materials work and how to tweak them to what effect you want, vs blindly screwing around with sliders and hoping it works out. Main annoyance with digital is if/when natural media simulation isn’t what you expect, or just isn’t meant to be natural at all.

Rolo posted:

I transitioned from paper very easily because paper is a pain in the rear end compared to an iPads accessibility. I draw and doodle a lot more when my iPad already has a fresh pad and sharp pencil at all times that will never run out of sheets.
But yeah that’s the best part.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

japtor posted:

Unless you’re comparing to a Cintiq I’d say iPad and Pencil is better...and even compared to Cintiq it seems like most people still consider the iPad/Pencil to be better.

For the OP, technically Wacom makes styluses for iPad but they suck like any other non Pencil stylus (other than the Logitech Crayon maybe, which uses the same tech but more limited). If his cousin was using those Wacoms maybe that’s why transitioning off paper was so hard :v:

At that age I wonder if there’s also some developmental benefits to the tactile nature and learning/experimenting with different media. Might be part of the difficulty of switching to digital, but also gives knowledge of how the different materials work and how to tweak them to what effect you want, vs blindly screwing around with sliders and hoping it works out. Main annoyance with digital is if/when natural media simulation isn’t what you expect, or just isn’t meant to be natural at all.

But yeah that’s the best part.

Thanks for all of the feedback all, I'm not a creative so have no knowledge in this space. The challenge she had was drawing on the Wacom and it appearing on the screen, so she was suggesting that the earlier he learned that the better. But your points are really dang good about getting all of the fundamentals with real paper first before even worrying about it. She was in her 20s when she transitioned, at my sons rate he'd probably be on these things in his teens with no hiccup.

Wife is scoping Xmas presents and wants to cultivate his artistic talents so this was a nice option, but since there's no good solution for iPad except to buy a new one, that may be out. We already are getting him a bunch of 'analog' art supplies and stuff.

Last year the kid only wanted staples and markers. He doesn't just draw, he 'builds' things with paper. So awesome.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

uiruki posted:

Has anyone used the new Pro with a USB-C monitor? I’ve got a 4K screen and I currently put my MacBook through it, usually for browsing and videos, and it isn’t exactly super smooth. I tried my current iPad with Airplay but in Safari when I start a video and then change tabs on the iPad screen it pauses the video; does that happen on the USB-C connection? Ideally I’d like to have it hooked up with a wireless keyboard for typing stuff in while I’m doing other stuff on my PC elsewhere.

You’ve all made me feel very guilty for passing down an old iPad 3 to my dad so I am more likely to upgrade now. I asked him and he just uses his phone and kindle instead.

Really curious about the external monitor thing as well - it seems like it's somewhat of a mess to find a good size monitor that also charges the iPad, although that maybe due to the variance in USB-C cables?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's not really news that an ipad might bend if you sat on it, but I guess it's nice to have a video of exactly how hard that would be to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUBsxCcJeUc&t=375s

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My last iPad bent when I forgot I'd placed it on the front seat of my car before I got in.

It's pretty easy to do, but I'd take 'not being a forgetful idiot' over it being thicker and heavier any day.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

coolusername posted:

2. Digital art program.

Get Clip Studio Paint. Seriously.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for all of the feedback all, I'm not a creative so have no knowledge in this space. The challenge she had was drawing on the Wacom and it appearing on the screen, so she was suggesting that the earlier he learned that the better. But your points are really dang good about getting all of the fundamentals with real paper first before even worrying about it. She was in her 20s when she transitioned, at my sons rate he'd probably be on these things in his teens with no hiccup.

I have no idea how old your cousin is, but I feel like her reasoning (getting used to things “appearing on the screen”) is outdated advice that really shows her age/generation. It sounds to me exactly like when my old primary school teachers told me how important cursive (lol) is because it’s going to be how I’ll writing essays (my profs wouldn’t have accepted anything handwritten) and notes (you mean emails?) in the future.

Your cousin means well but think about it: why would your son ever need to plug his drawing tablet into a screen in 10 years when he’s in high school?

Whatever he’s doing/you’re doing with him now seems to be working so just keep doing that :)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 18, 2018

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Last year the kid only wanted staples and markers. He doesn't just draw, he 'builds' things with paper. So awesome.
If he has a Switch get him Labo :v: (2 for $99 at Best Buy!)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have no idea how old your cousin is, but I feel like her reasoning (getting used to things “appearing on the screen”) is outdated advice that really shows her age/generation. It sounds to me exactly like when my old primary school teachers told me how important cursive (lol) is because it’s going to be how I’ll writing essays (my profs wouldn’t have accepted anything handwritten) and notes (you mean emails?) in the future.

Your cousin means well but think about it: why would your son ever need to plug his drawing tablet into a screen in 10 years when he’s in high school?

Whatever he’s doing/you’re doing with him now seems to be working so just keep doing that :)

She's nearing 30 and it is starting to sound like what you're saying is more about her challenges than broader ones. Neither my wife and I are creative people so it's amazing to watch him develop these skills out of thin air. All he wants to do is ART ART ART and has no interest in Fortnite, Xbox, etc.

japtor posted:

If he has a Switch get him Labo :v: (2 for $99 at Best Buy!)

We do have a Switch, and Labo is on the list. I think this is a fantastic idea. He doesn't play many video games but would love to do that stuff, I'm sure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shortspecialbus posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

I have the 12.9 one and it's really nice. It sticks with magnets and unlike the reviewer for it said, it does have the smart lock feature working. And my apple pencil still works as well. Ended up getting it for free due to Amazon loving up and selling out of them the day it was suppose to ship and be delivery, so they let me keep it when it arrives and refund the money back, with the case arriving this afternoon.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 18, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rirse posted:

Ended up getting it for free due to Amazon loving up

I love when this happens. My bed, headboard and 12” memory foam queen mattress ended up all being free because one small part had to be replaced so they refunded the entire order.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for good apps for drawing and note-taking/etc with the new pencil? I've historically used Squid and Autodesk Sketchbook on Android and I have zero knowledge of what's good on iOS for this stuff. Also any good games that take advantage of the pencil?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good apps for drawing and note-taking/etc with the new pencil? I've historically used Squid and Autodesk Sketchbook on Android and I have zero knowledge of what's good on iOS for this stuff. Also any good games that take advantage of the pencil?

Procreate is pretty much the definitive drawing app.

Notes.app is actually a pretty decent note taking app now.

Notability and Noteshelf both have good ink stroke rendering (I use Noteshelf mostly these days)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Procreate is pretty much the definitive drawing app.

Notes.app is actually a pretty decent note taking app now.

Notability and Noteshelf both have good ink stroke rendering (I use Noteshelf mostly these days)

I forgot to mention that it's not a requirement exactly but some sort of cloud ability for notes that works from any device (i.e. browser access or something) would be a huge bonus. I'm having trouble figuring out if Notes.app would do that but I'm guessing not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea on the best price for a new iPad? Just looking at the base iPad 32gb model-I’m assuming there should be some Black Friday deals out there.