Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Data Graham posted:

I want to know what set of questions and answers leads to wig maker.

You're over thinking this. The question was probably 'do you like making wigs?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

His friend is now the number one wig maker in the world

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're over thinking this. The question was probably 'do you like making wigs?'

probably "what are you thoughts on x files 2nd season episode 'irresistible'?"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Data Graham posted:

I want to know what set of questions and answers leads to wig maker.

They went to school in Knoxville

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I got a clergy member too. Found that pretty funny since I was full on angsthiest.

Didn't get anything computer related. Then again standardized tests are never good and are just the equivalent to the Netflix like dislike ratio in usefulness for determining quality.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

The one I took suggested I should be a pastor or other religious leader.

I took a bunch of those and they suggested me for accelerated classes, especially since when we moved to PA, I literally was learning in 4th grade what I learned in 3rd grade in Jersey in every subject (same books in a few cases). I begged my parents to let me do it, then found out later they didn't let me as a punishment for not having friends and not doing the homework because it was two years in a row of the same assignments.

The way things worked out for me make a lot more sense as time goes by.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Plan Z posted:

I took a bunch of those and they suggested me for accelerated classes, especially since when we moved to PA, I literally was learning in 4th grade what I learned in 3rd grade in Jersey in every subject (same books in a few cases). I begged my parents to let me do it, then found out later they didn't let me as a punishment for not having friends and not doing the homework because it was two years in a row of the same assignments.

The way things worked out for me make a lot more sense as time goes by.

I can empathize as I moved a lot as a kid and had the same History book three years in a row.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k__PzN5fGdA

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

Wow that thing is kind of exemplary of what's wrong with most of modern Simpsons writing. At first, you think maybe it's mocking the idea of resurrecting celebrities for our amusement, maybe it's a rip on the soullessness of the tech industry. But then there's an attempt at shock humor that's not all that shocking and the slow, stilted delivery takes out any possible bite. The joke goes on way too long and overstays its welcome with lots of post-script and :thejoke:.

I guess one of the better parts of early Simpsons satire/parody is that it was never so specific. It wasn't always "Let's go to the Mapple store. Wow, it's Meve Mobs. Meve, will you sign my MyPod? Wow, Meve, why are you saying lines that are poorly-hidden criticisms of you, your business, and products? Well, back to Springfield characters doing Apple gags for a few minutes." Like here's the bit on standardized testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLwDBcgSjs

The comedy is a mixed bag of character humor, jabs at the working world, education system, validity of standardized testing, and lots of other stuff. Can't imagine newer Simpsons pacing it well and not stopping for one character to deliver an "ironic" monologue on why testing is bad.

the comedy was also nonstop. just constant jokes of all kinds, with great pacing. I miss that kind of art

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tree Goat posted:

probably "what are you thoughts on x files 2nd season episode 'irresistible'?"

I was going to say "what did you think of blood meridian" but yours is good too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Season 4 - Homer's Team

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Plan Z posted:

Wow that thing is kind of exemplary of what's wrong with most of modern Simpsons writing. At first, you think maybe it's mocking the idea of resurrecting celebrities for our amusement, maybe it's a rip on the soullessness of the tech industry. But then there's an attempt at shock humor that's not all that shocking and the slow, stilted delivery takes out any possible bite. The joke goes on way too long and overstays its welcome with lots of post-script and :thejoke:.

I guess one of the better parts of early Simpsons satire/parody is that it was never so specific. It wasn't always "Let's go to the Mapple store. Wow, it's Meve Mobs. Meve, will you sign my MyPod? Wow, Meve, why are you saying lines that are poorly-hidden criticisms of you, your business, and products? Well, back to Springfield characters doing Apple gags for a few minutes." Like here's the bit on standardized testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLwDBcgSjs

The comedy is a mixed bag of character humor, jabs at the working world, education system, validity of standardized testing, and lots of other stuff. Can't imagine newer Simpsons pacing it well and not stopping for one character to deliver an "ironic" monologue on why testing is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI1hmX2JuTI
Aww it cut out the best part. One of my favorite recurring gags on early Simpsons was Bart fantasizing about some god awful future for himself and thinking it was cool.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

fffffffffuuuuuuccccckkkkkk

oooooofffffffff

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to stream the most recent episode because I hate myself. Homer gets fired from the plant (again) and gets hired at a tech startup that makes self driving cars that also listen to you and collect data like smart devices. Cue every single “old man yells at cloud” joke about tech startups and their work environments, millennials and their addiction to technology, and how all this technology is definitely evil and has no positive benefits.

Homer teams up with Mr. Burns and Smithers, posing as 20-somethings, to take down the company somehow I forgot and it doesn’t matter.

In the first five minutes or so there are at least two “Homer sings a random song” jokes. I have no idea why they keep using these.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tech companies are garbage, hth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a real broken clock thing, but I stand by it

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Season 4 - Homer's Team

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Neutrino posted:

And was this is in a small town in Arizona where they don't have banks or sandwich shops?

Nope, but it was out at this tiny fishing community. Which had both a sandwich shop and bank, but no lighthouse, strangely enough.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Another Bill posted:

Season 4 - Homer's Team

I gotta go, my drat weiner kids are listening.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was watching the Stan Lee cameo from Simpsons from several years ago. I have vague memories of people dislike his cameo years ago as not having any reason for being there, but Stan feels perfectly 'Springfield' in those scenes.

Someone was talking about how celebrities as themselves or as characters are treated with a higher degree of esteem in the show in recent years, but Stan's whole portrayal feels like it's that right mix of reverent and ridiculing that makes him feel a bit like he's not just a celebrity guest but a real character in the show.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Plan Z posted:

Argh gently caress this is an actual thing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was watching the Stan Lee cameo from Simpsons from several years ago. I have vague memories of people dislike his cameo years ago as not having any reason for being there, but Stan feels perfectly 'Springfield' in those scenes.

Someone was talking about how celebrities as themselves or as characters are treated with a higher degree of esteem in the show in recent years, but Stan's whole portrayal feels like it's that right mix of reverent and ridiculing that makes him feel a bit like he's not just a celebrity guest but a real character in the show.

The Stan one had some good jokes, some bad jokes. They don't start getting real good until you get past the "bizarro world" line, but Stan rearranging comics, jamming The Thing into the batmobile, the "mint condition" line, and Stan trying to Hulk out are all good bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYYpECTuvM

TheMostFrench posted:

Argh gently caress this is an actual thing.

Holy poo poo no joke I never actually saw any of the Mapple episode. I only knew they did the word Mapple, and made everything else up. I'm not screwing with you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think they call him Steve Mobs, but everything else is exactly as you described it. Lisa gets a MyPod and bankrupts herself buying tunes, and she gets the ol' tough titties from Mobs because no corporation can afford to respect their customers and yadda yadda, and then she... starts working at the Mapple store? I forget if I saw the whole episode or just the Steve Mobs smash cut.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI1hmX2JuTI
Aww it cut out the best part. One of my favorite recurring gags on early Simpsons was Bart fantasizing about some god awful future for himself and thinking it was cool.

Do they even have running gags like this anymore? I guess there just isn't enough time for garbage like character development these days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Do they even have running gags like this anymore? I guess there just isn't enough time for garbage like character development these days.

Nah.

Sometimes they bring back old ones. Like last week had a Moe prank call, and I think they've done a "Your life's goal was to ..." recently too.

This is something I've thought that helps elevate American Dad even though it's starting to get old as hell too. They still cook up new recurring characters and gags, and it makes the show feel more alive.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The guy here posting episode descriptions had me curious and looking through the different seasons to see when those descriptions really start getting lovely, then noticed that the Simpsons, along with South Park and King of the Hill (order of air date went Hill then Simpsons then South Park) all had episodes where characters were fraudulently diagnosed with ADD in a way that made ADD itself seem like a scam. The lesson usually just boiled down to "Kids are just energetic and you're turning them into zombie mind slaves." I remember a bunch of other shows doing basically the same plot, making the "brainless zombie follower" jabs a bit ironic.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
A bunch of shows did trans fats episodes too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Plan Z posted:

The guy here posting episode descriptions had me curious and looking through the different seasons to see when those descriptions really start getting lovely, then noticed that the Simpsons, along with South Park and King of the Hill (order of air date went Hill then Simpsons then South Park) all had episodes where characters were fraudulently diagnosed with ADD in a way that made ADD itself seem like a scam. The lesson usually just boiled down to "Kids are just energetic and you're turning them into zombie mind slaves." I remember a bunch of other shows doing basically the same plot, making the "brainless zombie follower" jabs a bit ironic.

South Park has a ton of these, just watched the alcoholism episode a couple of days ago. 'just stop drinking lol'

I actually like South Park but the creators are insufferable douchebags

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

South Park has a ton of these, just watched the alcoholism episode a couple of days ago. 'just stop drinking lol'

I actually like South Park but the creators are insufferable douchebags

I remember seeing that one and thinking "did you not do like five minutes on wikipedia and see that alcoholism is actually a physiological condition?"

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 18, 2018

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Plan Z posted:

I remember seeing that one and thinking "did you not do like five minutes on wikipedia and see that alcoholism is actually a physiological condition?"

What if it is a little bit both? Maybe the truth is in the middle?

southpark.jpg

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Season 3 really picks up after they run through the holdovers from season 2, which is weird because the last few episodes that aired in season 2 are the best of that season.

There are a ton of running gags throughout season 3 and clever callbacks to previous episodes in the season, like when Santa's Little Helper runs away and they put up posters, they cover up a poster of Skinner that had gone up during the episode Bart worked for the mob.

Subtle little things like that really make the show feel alive.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

snack eater posted:

A bunch of shows did trans fats episodes too

And the best one of those is American Dad's episode.

"Mama, if you can hear me, it's Daniel. I WANT THAT SANDWICH!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Our school made us take a career test before deciding what we wanted to do for final year at school. There was one question asking if I liked working with computers and I said yes and it told me I should work with computers then. If I changed my response to say I didn't like working with computers it told me to be a life coach. My friend got wig maker.

goldenninjawarrior posted:

Our school made us take a career test before deciding what we wanted to do for final year at school. There was one question asking if I liked working with computers and I said yes and it told me I should work with computers then. If I changed my response to say I didn't like working with computers it told me to be a life coach. My friend got wig maker.

THE BAR posted:

Our super duper middle school job compatibility estimation software deigned me fit to work as, in order:

1. Open sandwich caterer

2. Bank security personnel

3. Lighthouse keeper

You're really spoiling me for choices, here.

As a european I thought that the G.O.A.T. in Fallout 3 was just something the developers made up. But apparently they didn't even exaggerate how insane and random they really are.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Matt and Trey have always had awful opinions on everything, its especially apparent they're rich white guys whenever race comes up. The "hate crimes aren't different than other crimes because all crimes have hate behind them" episode is one of the worst.

Having terrible opinions goes hand in hand with being a libertarian.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 18, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, but over-diagnosing ADD really was a serious problem in the 90's.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Alhazred posted:

As a european I thought that the G.O.A.T. in Fallout 3 was just something the developers made up. But apparently they didn't even exaggerate how insane and random they really are.

I had a similar test in Australia, in which I was told that my most likely future career was as a fish farmer.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Elderbean posted:

Matt and Trey have always had awful opinions on everything, its especially apparent they're rich white guys whenever race comes up. The "hate crimes aren't different than other crimes because all crimes have hate behind them" is one of the worst.

Having terrible opinions goes hand in hand with being a libertarian.

That always reminds me of people who say they're not racist/sexist because they don't follow the dictionary definition of either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons posting about which episodes of South Park they DONT like is seriously an endless fountain of humor.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Libertarians rejects the idea that addiction is physiological, you can just choose not to be addicted to heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Libertarians generally have a naive outlook on the world, dunking on them is always good.