Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Audio drama 7.7 Hass and Namiko strike again.

Also apparently this is a second ED we might get down the line? Sounds fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhpX0BhOL8

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show has officially released the point where the Kaiju fights actually kind of get on my nerves for getting in the way of the intriguing character drama and mystery stuff. They're not even bad, they're just super not what I'm here for right now.

Hoping/expecting we start getting a lot more answers starting next ep, now that Alexis has revealed himself, Anti's gone rogue, and Akane seems kind of shaken.

For all that I was worried early on that we might be setting up for a plotline where Akane's all yandere for Rikka or something, it's really fascinating how it's turned out closer to the opposite. Akane barely cares about Rikka more than she does about anyone else - and that's if we're being generous - while Rikka's fixation on Akane has become really pronounced over the past few eps. Namiko and Hass joking about Rikka being like a goddess was also a really carefully-timed line by the writers. Really curious about precisely what the show's trying to tease out of those two.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/VF5SS/status/1063958632587554817

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was a Gridman comic? Anybody know anything about this?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

This show has officially released the point where the Kaiju fights actually kind of get on my nerves for getting in the way of the intriguing character drama and mystery stuff. They're not even bad, they're just super not what I'm here for right now.

Starting to feel that way myself, but at the same time I still digged this week's kaiju design. I'm wondering where Anti's going to end up.

Elfface posted:

I'm also getting the impression that Alexis is gonna be the true villain - Akane only sees the world as her playground, and so her emotions aren't entirely there for making kaiju. Alexis needs a human, with an emotional connection to the world...

Wasn't this something we were told in the last episode? Or was that something I just inferred?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was something you could infer but there's no way with his cutesy nice guy sycophant act Alexis was anything other than the real main antagonist

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, especially with the way last episode described Akane as more sad than anything and framing her as in need of saving.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know what's fun?

The contrast between Yuta and his friends in how they react to the revelations of the nature of the world.

Yuta's amnesic, so he can have a bizarre alien who sounds like Over Justice come over when he's having a meal with a classmate who he's just been told is the god of his world and he kind of rolls with it. Meanwhile, Rikka and Shou had normal lives as far as they can remember, so every time things escalate, it throws them for a loop, and they have trouble believing a lot of what Yuta tells them.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 18, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like how nice dinner with Alexis was.

I wish the Kaiju hadn't interrupted

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, especially with the way last episode described Akane as more sad than anything and framing her as in need of saving.

on the other hand she stepped on a special dog

KoB
May 1, 2009
Woah i can jump in the computer and turn into a CG robot man and this dude transforms into a sword

Rikka: cool

Also Akane might be The Bad Guy

Rikka: thats a little far-fetched.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Something weird happened in the apartment scene. Akane seemingly warped across the room, and whispered something unheard to Yuta. That feels like a Chekhov's Silence that will be important later.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KoB posted:

Woah i can jump in the computer and turn into a CG robot man and this dude transforms into a sword

Rikka: cool

Also Akane might be The Bad Guy

Rikka: thats a little far-fetched.

Yuta: "So, here's an explanation for the insane thing you just saw happen."

Rikka: "Okay, this is a lot of stress but it's obviously happening, so I accept that."

Yuta: "Your friend Akane is responsible for all the kaiju. Also she's god, and nothing exists except the city we live in, despite the fact that we just went on a school rafting trip. I know this because a homeless girl who's also a kaiju told me it on a train ride."

Rikka: "...I have several questions."

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Squidster posted:

Something weird happened in the apartment scene. Akane seemingly warped across the room, and whispered something unheard to Yuta. That feels like a Chekhov's Silence that will be important later.

She just blew in his ear. There is even a sound.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I like the way the citizens react to the kaiju etc. Especially in the tie-ins.

"Hey, that alien we saw is trending! Anyway, that was a whole half hour ago, time to dig up dirt on our friend."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder what Akane's plan was before they got interrupted. Was she really just going to have dinner and then go home with 'OK Yuta, guess we'll keep fighting! Hahaha I'll get you next time you scamp!' And then show up for school again the next day.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Akane wanted him to walk her home gently

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I enjoyed the relaxed dinner between two kids and a giant alien (I assume that Alexis operates on the same rules as the Kaiju where only certain people can see him). Speaking of Alexis, it's nice to see him finally start acting like a villain (he's obviously just using Akane and their relationship might be on thin ice at this point).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My guess for next time is that Akane overcompensates on her kaiju of the week because she's more angry at Anti and Alexis co-opting her sense of control and will feel the need to reassert her "godhood".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The leaked episode summaries have been vague but accurate so far, and if we can trust them, everything goes straight to hell next episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The leaked episode summaries have been vague but accurate so far, and if we can trust them, everything goes straight to hell next episode.

I'm excited.

Do you have a link?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm excited.

Do you have a link?

Here you go. They're only a couple of short sentences each, and pretty vague, but remember, kids, these are spoilers for future episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Makes sense, we are in the last 5 episodes now after all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, it's kind of interesting to consider what exactly Alexis is. He's advertised as a space alien, but we know he's not from space as in outside the planet where the gang lives because we've thoroughly established that space doesn't exist. So where is he from? Is he from space in the 'real' world? A computer virus? Some sort of manifestation of Akane's issues?

Also interesting that he was introduced via Akane's computer the way Gridman was introduced via Junk, but unlike Gridman he seems able to manifest physically with no fuss. Not sure what to make of that, or precisely what he's getting out of Akane.

Also something that just occurred to me: It's interesting that he speaks to Akane primarily through the computer when he clearly doesn't actually need to. I wonder if they're working some sort of angle with, like, online predation/radicalization or something like that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It turns out he actually just doesn't want to go in her gross room.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I like how Anti's monster doesn't actually attack the city, because unlike Akane he only wants to fight Gridman instead of living out power fantasies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I like how Anti's monster doesn't actually attack the city, because unlike Akane he only wants to fight Gridman instead of living out power fantasies.

Since he was made specifically as an anti-Gridman weapon (hence his name) I kind of get the impression that he literally can't transform unless Gridman is present (and his confrontation with Yuta at the start of this episode seems to back that up).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

Gotta give Anti credit where it's due: Despite his lack of table manners, basic knowledge of hygiene and... well, pretty much anything else, he's committed to the end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifl46kg4GGo

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Larryb posted:

Since he was made specifically as an anti-Gridman weapon (hence his name) I kind of get the impression that he literally can't transform unless Gridman is present (and his confrontation with Yuta at the start of this episode seems to back that up).

Plus his fight with Yuta and the Neon Genesis squad last ep. Why bother with the dumb handsaw thing when you could just transform and squish 'em (or at least force them into a more typical fight)?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 18, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Here you go. They're only a couple of short sentences each, and pretty vague, but remember, kids, these are spoilers for future episodes.

That implies Alexis is behind this all, but I wonder when we'll find out what the deal with the virutal world is since that's not in any summary.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also something that just occurred to me: It's interesting that he speaks to Akane primarily through the computer when he clearly doesn't actually need to. I wonder if they're working some sort of angle with, like, online predation/radicalization or something like that.

My thought on this is that Akane obviously REALLY doesn't like people in her room for some reason, with her reaction to Anti's footprint and specifically telling Alexis to not let anyone inside, so Alexis doesn't go in the room to avoid that reaction. My first thought is that the room used to belong to someone special to her, maybe a father or older brother who loved kaiju like her and ended up dying tragically. I dunno how/if that would explain the trash, but it's what popped into my head while I was watching the episode.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darksaber posted:

My thought on this is that Akane obviously REALLY doesn't like people in her room for some reason, with her reaction to Anti's footprint and specifically telling Alexis to not let anyone inside, so Alexis doesn't go in the room to avoid that reaction. My first thought is that the room used to belong to someone special to her, maybe a father or older brother who loved kaiju like her and ended up dying tragically. I dunno how/if that would explain the trash, but it's what popped into my head while I was watching the episode.

The reset kaiju just don't understand the concept of garbage disposal so they just shove all the bags back into her room, obviously.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nephthys posted:

I wonder what Akane's plan was before they got interrupted. Was she really just going to have dinner and then go home with 'OK Yuta, guess we'll keep fighting! Hahaha I'll get you next time you scamp!' And then show up for school again the next day.

I mean, probably. Akane doesn't take anyone else's feelings seriously, that's the whole point of her being all casual with "Mr. Gridman" and the "hey let's hang out and talk about this fun hobby of mine" routine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyway I'm really happy that they've started adding the lyrics to the OP on the streams!

Crunchy posted:

Open your eyes!
Our world as we know it is under attack

In these days that seem like just a big sham
Our S.O.S. is quickly gaining steam
Even though we know something is off
Today passes by against the backdrop of the usual sky, the same sights

What did we promise that day?
What did we talk about in the classroom?
At this rate, that promise might disappear, too

Open your eyes!
This is no drill, and it's no rehearsal either
Once the veil called "daily life" is ripped off
The bell to fight rings out
So why don't we form an alliance for now?
I've come to rescue you from "boredom"!

At these memories that seem like fakes
We point and say "it was better back then"
Even though we know it's all empty
We pretend to understand, pretend not to see, and hide our scars

"I could never be a hero"
"Someone else will be the protagonist"
Don't give up without realizing it

The world we know can't be traded for anything
It doesn't matter if you're a kid or a grown-up
If you start to fall for the rules called "daily life"
Wave the flag of resistance
So why don't we start a revolution just for us?

A wish, a wish come true
Wish upon the stars at night
On the union of the dream that binds us

Open your eyes!
This is no drill, and it's no rehearsal either
Once the veil called "daily life" is ripped off
The bell to fight rings out
So why don't we form an alliance like back then?
I've come to rescue you from "boredom"!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Super Samurai Starlight Squad

https://twitter.com/okano102067/status/1063779892515364864?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:c00l:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darksaber posted:

Mm, I don't know if the trash needs 'explaining' per se. Just seems like an easy visual shorthand for how thoroughly Akane's cut herself off from the world and disregarded the sorts of basic living comforts most of us take for granted when she's by herself, to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Anyway I'm really happy that they've started adding the lyrics to the OP on the streams!

Having the full lyrics is really great, thanks! I'm glad Crunchyroll started subbing the opening and ending too, I'm always sad when that doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm, I don't know if the trash needs 'explaining' per se. Just seems like an easy visual shorthand for how thoroughly Akane's cut herself off from the world and disregarded the sorts of basic living comforts most of us take for granted when she's by herself, to me.

Well, there's more to it than that, because she still dresses herself perfectly and looks totally normal at school. Her public "face" is immaculate and she's even regarded as a princess. She's clearly capable of doing stuff like that still.

It basically seems like she's lost the ability to do emotional labor. She knows how to act happy and "normal" in front of other people but she can't deal with them on any other level, so her only reaction to absolutely any problem is to keep smiling and kill the offender later.

Presumably the trash is there because she can't figure out how to deal with it, but as long as nobody can see it she doesn't care.