Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Starting An F/A-18 On An Aircraft Carrier

Is the point of touching everything the equivalent of kicking the tires? I'm not super sure what the point of it is beyond protocol or something.

The pilot is blind, and he's trying to figure out where the cockpit is.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Is the point of touching everything the equivalent of kicking the tires? I'm not super sure what the point of it is beyond protocol or something.

Fuckin' cassette tapes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You check that everything that's supposed to move moves the right way, and everything that's not supposed to move doesn't.

Yes, the ground crew is supposed to have done that already, but you're the one in the hotseat if something does go wrong, so on the walkaround you double-check it yourself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Theres a lot of stuff on an aircraft that you need to make sure moves or does not move. For example they physically checks that there was no cover on the engine inlet and then checks that the pitot tube didn't have a cover (or maybe it was an angle of attack vane or something, in which case they were confirming it could move).

Data tapes with mission information. The C variant is from the late 80s.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Yeah the more i watched the video thinking about all those hands on your plane, i get why you'd just nudge everything to make sure it didn't fall to pieces.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

There's a guy that'll do that in the bathroom of the building I work in. He doesn't wear gloves though.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Data tapes with mission information. The C variant is from the late 80s.

One tape was mission data but you know the other was the Iron Eagle soundtrack by Queen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpsEKSNkkA

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
theres a whole lot of stuff at my job that every person involved is supposed to check every single time and its a lot less complex than a airplane so that kinda just seems natural

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/heraldsunsport/status/1064089412349452288

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you don't record all the scratches etc when you pick the vehicle up they'll blame you for them when you bring it back and you won't get your deposit back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

F-18s are skittish and need to be patted and reassured before takeoff.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

holy poo poo!

A second angle:
https://twitter.com/garthk/status/1064107851705012229

here's the aftermath:
https://twitter.com/Fox_Motorsport/status/1064100979321135105

According to the BBC there are no life-threatening injuries at the moment, the driver is a 17 yo german girl who fractured her spine: https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/46253184

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

How was the driver not in the lead when she was obliviously able to travel at just under the speed of light?

Also: holy poo poo!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I'll only go if I can get a free prostate exam too

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why was she even going that fast during that stretch of the track? Did she forget what the track route was and where the turn was, or not even notice every other driver slowing to take the turn?

I wonder if it was mechanical, stuck throttle or something.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why was she even going that fast during that stretch of the track? Did she forget what the track route was and where the turn was, or not even notice every other driver slowing to take the turn?

quote:

Ferrari junior Guan Yu Zhou, who was following Floersch at the time of the accident, explained that it was due to yellow caution lights flashing on the straight.

“First of all it was such a scary moment,” said the Prema Powerteam driver, who was making his way through the pack after a crash in the qualification race and an engine change relegated him to 28th and last on the grid. “Coming after Mandarin [the preceding right-hand kink], I saw the yellow, but I think it was just a mistake by the organisers’ station. Sophia was really close to Jehan, so when Jehan braked early she had no time to react. She hit Jehan’s right-rear, and that spun her around straight into Lisboa, and she flew into the other car. I just hope she’s OK.”

The incident was investigated by the stewards, who ruled that "no individual drive was wholly or predominantly responsible for the collision".

I don't think we see the initial accident but it seems like it's the fault of the organisers station.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Might have been a brake failure. It’s a testament to how ridiculously safe Formula cars are that the driver “only” suffered a broken back.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LifeSunDeath posted:

If it jiggles wrong you don't ride that stick.

The finger tips are extremely sensitive able to sense things down to 13 nm. If there is a crack or flaw you can feel it well beyond the ability to see it. If something breaks off by wiggling it a couple G's isn't going to be any kinder.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

How was the driver not in the lead when she was obliviously able to travel at just under the speed of light?

Also: holy poo poo!

She was, this was her final lap!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

(edit) beaten like a damaged rental car

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

oohhboy posted:

The finger tips are extremely sensitive able to sense things down to 13 nm. If there is a crack or flaw you can feel it well beyond the ability to see it. If something breaks off by wiggling it a couple G's isn't going to be any kinder.

I was sure this was a mistake and you meant micrometres but nope, you can detect a ridged surface pattern at that amplitude (not individual features like a single crack).

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130916110853.htm

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LifeSunDeath posted:

came to post that, 6 minute mark he's putting some sort of tapes into the thing. if it works i guess, no point spending 500 million developing an SD card adapter

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I hate it when my R1 button gets stuck!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Miami level in Hitman 2 looks lit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a reason teenage drivers have higher insurance rates.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a reason teenage drivers have higher insurance rates.
In Germany you can't get your driver's license until you are 18. That's in about two weeks for her.

17 years when accompanied by a qualified driver, yada yada

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/RRWR0GJ.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm the guy trying to put out a gas fire with a water bottle

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
holy lol are they trying to kill a fire on a active gas line with a bottle of water and some towels???? 200 iq actions right there

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there even a feasible way to put that out while the line is still pressurised?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dynamite

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Flooding the area with a heavier than air inert gas might do the trick.

But calling 911 and waiting for emergency crews to turn off the gas would be faster.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 18, 2018

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

GotLag posted:

Is there even a feasible way to put that out while the line is still pressurised?

Yeah, even one complete interruption of the flow would put it out. Also that would be The Worst loving Idea.

At this point its safer to let it burn at that controlled rate and get it cut off at the closest viable cutoff point really loving quick.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Here we see a young male train, threatening an older member of the herd for control of a crossing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GotLag posted:

Cutting off the flame entirely. There's a lot of ways to do it: inert gas, a huge shock like explosives or an air blast, burying it in a ton of dirt or sand, etc.

A flammable towel limply draped over it is not one of those ways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if they blow on it really hard?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In theory, you could interrupt the flow of gas long enough that it doesn't immediately reignite.

At which point, you've actually made your problem worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if they blow on it really hard?