Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Squalid posted:

enraged_camel is wrong

How dare you?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

I don't have it handy, sorry. It was on the radio while I was driving, about a month ago.

But there are many sources that describe this phenomenon, example: https://www.wsj.com/graphics/climate-change-forcing-insurance-industry-recalculate/

Nice! thanks. E- BOO of course the WSJ blocks through incognito mode. :colbert:

Crow Jane posted:

So what Fox show did a scary caravan special this morning?

Now you see why you're better off reading RealGulDukat!

Special counsel Odo will never succeed!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 18, 2018

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nelson is going to concede at 3 today; the gap in votes narrowed to 10k between him and Scott after all the recounts are in.

https://twitter.com/getyrtrouserson/status/1063823456410718212

This was probably the worst loss of the election.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 18, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

How dare you?!

The thing is like, subsidized insurance on at risk land actually kills people. We're giving people discounts for gambling their lives that a hurricane won't hit in the next 20 years. You can't control whether you have a pre-existing condition like epilepsy or w/e, and leaving you to die doesn't help anyone else. By contrast we can control where we live, and it shouldn't be places that we already know are doomed to be destroyed by rising seas. Unfortunately there's a lot of people who didn't know any better who are going to have their lives really messed with as we adapt. Unfortunately putting off the problem just makes everything worse and harder down the line.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

The thing is like, subsidized insurance on at risk land actually kills people. We're giving people discounts for gambling their lives that a hurricane won't hit in the next 20 years. You can't control whether you have a pre-existing condition like epilepsy or w/e, and leaving you to die doesn't help anyone else. By contrast we can control where we live, and it shouldn't be places that we already know are doomed to be destroyed by rising seas. Unfortunately there's a lot of people who didn't know any better who are going to have their lives really messed with as we adapt. Unfortunately putting off the problem just makes everything worse and harder down the line.

Well, some people can control where they live.

E- I'm not trying to be a contrarian, I'm just saying that's quite as heavy as a factor as the other, and it's a little weird to see it lightened like that.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nelson seems to have congealed from the same beige flavorless primordial ooze as Mitt Romney, so it's not surprising he lost in lunatic olds land.

I mean, yeah Rick Scott has the hobgoblin king look going on, but at least he has any character at all.

We need politicans that can convince people, and Florida needs to suck a lot less (it will never not suck)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Ah silly string, that deadly weapon of the far left!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TulliusCicero posted:

Nelson seems to have congealed from the same beige flavorless primordial ooze as Mitt Romney, so it's not surprising he lost in lunatic olds land.

I mean, yeah Rick Scott has the hobgoblin king look going on, but at least he has any character at all.

We need politicans that can convince people, and Florida needs to suck a lot less (it will never not suck)

Regardless, it should have been enough except for that ballot. The voter suppression was deliberate and something you'll always have to deal with; the ballot was negligence.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

KickerOfMice posted:

Ah silly string, that deadly weapon of the far left!

:something clearly nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

I was listening to an economist on NPR the other day who actually made the point that, ironically, the insurance industry may end up being our saviors, because only they have the immense lobbying power necessary to, uh... "encourage" politicians to do something meaningful about climate change. Basically, once their profits start tanking, they will start refusing to insure certain people, and that will result in massive amounts of civil unrest.

Not just the poors either. For example, most beachfront property in Florida is about ~25 years from being uninsurable, which will start being reflected in prices soon.

That's a nice idea in theory, but this seems to ignore how there's also a pecking order amongst big businesses. Politicians might want to please insurance companies, but if it's a choice between an international insurance company and, say, a local oil refiner or a major petroleum congomerate or property developer, the insurer loses EVERY TIME.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TulliusCicero posted:

A reminder that Nelson got more votes that Gillum, and managed to drag the election out longer.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Fulchrum posted:

A reminder that Nelson got more votes that Gillum, and managed to drag the election out longer.

I think you're underplaying the effect of Gillum being a black man had.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fulchrum posted:

Florida is full of racist old snow birds and gun nut militia looneys who would never vote for the scary black man, and they saw DeSantis' endorsement by Nazis as a positive

This goes back to Florida being an eternal succ-zone you see

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Well, I mean Gillum lost too, and he was a great candidate who went up against an open racist.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rex-Goliath posted:

No beef with that and maybe I'm being over sensitive here I'm just sick of the hot take parade. I'm already seeing some dipshit site taking that tweet and spinning it into how she actually hates natives

It's important to remember that they are going to do this poo poo anyway and to not take offense when bad faith shitheads take swipes at genuinely good people.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
DeSantis was a great candidate because he was an open racist, and Gillum was race-baiting* by pointing out DeSantis's racism.

*This is what MAGAs actually believe

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Florida is full of racist old snow birds and gun nut militia looneys who would never vote for the scary black man, and they saw DeSantis' endorsement by Nazis as a positive

This goes back to Florida being an eternal succ-zone you see

the joke about other states not sending us their best is unironically true.

for every racist southern Florida Man stereotype there's like three snowbirds that vote red in every single election, and, in aggregate, they're a lot more of the problem than the relatively low-population red areas of north florida

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

eke out posted:

this interview is definitely proof that all those stories about trump being furious about the midterms are 100% true

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1064191183386218496

I can't tell if he's saying "who would know" as in who would know if MBS is lying or "who would know" if Trump just lives with it because he needs him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eke out posted:

the joke about other states not sending us their best is unironically true.

for every racist southern Florida Man stereotype there's like three snowbirds that vote red in every single election, and, in aggregate, they're a lot more of the problem than the relatively low-population red areas of north florida

From what I hear the racist snowbirds also vote multiple times as well and are proud of it, which is just fantastic! :thumbsup:

Seriously, I don't know how Florida can be fixed at this point.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof posted:

DeSantis was a great candidate because he was an open racist, and Gillum was race-baiting* by pointing out DeSantis's racism.

*This is what MAGAs actually believe

Obama was the worst thing for race relations because he made people racist by being half-black.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nenonen posted:

It would be insanely funny if all the other world leaders were gaslighting Donald in private conversations by telling him ridiculous made up bullshit stories that he'll probably bring up in the front of reporters.

The president of Finland excitedly calls up the president of France, "I told you I could make him say they had to rake the forest in public You owe me that bottle of wine!"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Squalid posted:

Yes.

enraged_camel is wrong to compare refusing cover pre-existing conditions with refusing to insure land that will soon be underwater. Regardless of you opinion on personal responsibility, when the government covers all the costs of rebuilding a home destroyed by hurricanes every five years, people keep building more homes in the same at risk locations. The result is the level of risk and liability progressively increases, and the costs continue to spiral. Worse still, the political will to change course because ever more scarce. By making people pay market rates for insurance and eliminating perverse incentives, we can encourage appropriate climate adaptation.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't equipped to properly judge the real risk of a property. That's why its important the true costs are presented upfront before they buy. It's regrettable that there are already people in places at risk that would be ruined by changing the prices. However if we continue as things are now for their benefit, it will be at the expense of someone else. Maybe some kind of compensation is in order, but we have to make coastal real estate match the true social cost.

So you have a few things wrong here:

1) The NFIP only covers $250,000 of property damage for homes, $500,000 for commercial.
2) It's not "beach front property" it's property in certain flood zones as determined by FEMA.
3) There is a program called the Community Rating Service that gives community discounts on flood insurance of they actually start planning for floods.
4) Rates go up much faster for people buying property in a flood zone for the first time, some are grand fathered in but only if you owned the property before hand (I think). Second homeowners are not.

Not to come down too hard on you hear but humans have built near water throughout history because it's been vital to survival. You are right we need to be better about how we build near the water but to say that federal flood insurance is just for the rich to maintain property is not accurate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1064195706540445697

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1064219913336827904

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Chilichimp posted:

It's important to remember that they are going to do this poo poo anyway and to not take offense when bad faith shitheads take swipes at genuinely good people.

right and that’s how i was interpreting that post- as a genuine attack on her proposal instead of an off the cuff remark. i should have been a bit more calm but i’m just real tired of constantly seeing that behavior everywhere so i get jumpy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

So you have a few things wrong here:

1) The NFIP only covers $250,000 of property damage for homes, $500,000 for commercial.
2) It's not "beach front property" it's property in certain flood zones as determined by FEMA.
3) There is a program called the Community Rating Service that gives community discounts on flood insurance of they actually start planning for floods.
4) Rates go up much faster for people buying property in a flood zone for the first time, some are grand fathered in but only if you owned the property before hand (I think). Second homeowners are not.

Not to come down too hard on you hear but humans have built near water throughout history because it's been vital to survival. You are right we need to be better about how we build near the water but to say that federal flood insurance is just for the rich to maintain property is not accurate.

Hopefully this clarifies some of issues for other posters. Ultimately society can't eliminate all risks. The point is we don't want to be encouraging behavior we know is bad and have the power to prevent. A private insurance company adjusting rates or dropping coverage based on updated research on the underlying risk is good, because it means our society will be collectively better prepared to handle the problem. If this leads to certain groups bearing a disproportionate burden of the costs of adaptation, we should by all means adopt policies that can help the transition. We can't just bury our head's in the sand and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...age%2Fstory-ans

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Found him faster than you would have, dumbass.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Your Taint posted:

Found him faster than you would have, dumbass.

How much does it rain in Abbottabad?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nenonen posted:

It would be insanely funny if all the other world leaders were gaslighting Donald in private conversations by telling him ridiculous made up bullshit stories that he'll probably bring up in the front of reporters.

Theresa May: "We need to leave the EU so our hands are free to deal with the invading hordes

of fishpeople"

except that's less gaslighting and more what every Home Secretary believes

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CubanMissile posted:

I don't know, but the more I think about it I can see Trump dropping him. Pence was someone else's pick back when Trump was still listening to people. We've see over and over again that only decisions Donny ever regrets are ones where he wanted to do something, and someone talked him out of it. Now he can change that and choose someone who has pledged their undying devotion to him.

Vice President Ivanka? Has a president ever been suspected of having had sex with a VP pick before?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VH4Ever posted:

Vice President Ivanka? Has a president ever been suspected of having had sex with a VP pick before?

Lincoln?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

:wtc: Explain. Now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VH4Ever posted:

I'm not sure where he's going with Lincoln but a prior answer would be James Buchanan and William Rufus King;

quote:

The argument for King's homosexuality has been put forward by biographer Jean Baker,[4] supported by Shelley Ross, James W. Loewen, and Robert P. Watson. Focused essentially on his close and intimate relationship with President James Buchanan. The two men lived together for 13 years from 1840 until King's death in 1853. Buchanan referred to the relationship as a "communion",[5] and the two often attended official functions together. Contemporaries also noted and commented upon the unusual closeness. Andrew Jackson mockingly called them "Miss Nancy" and "Aunt Fancy" (the former being a 19th-century euphemism for an effeminate man[6]), while Aaron V. Brown referred to King as Buchanan's "better half".[7] However, Lewis Saum, has argued that "…Customs and expressions were different in the mid-1800s than they are today... "Miss Nancy" was "a fairly common designation for people who wore clean clothes and had good manners"; and noted that Aaron Brown was a political enemy of King.[8]

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Gen. Ripper posted:

Back when he was a country lawyer, he would sleep in the same bed as a male friend - not his VP. This was common and didn't imply they had sex or were anything more than friends, but now people read about it and assume they were loving.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The President-VP combo was Buchanan and King (who wasn't his VP, but was VP before him).

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gen. Ripper posted:

I am not a historian, but from what I remember, Lincoln actually shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for four years when they were younger, and remained close long after. Lincoln even traveled to Kentucky to meet with Speed during a long bout of depression, to be consoled. Lincoln offered Speed a number of cabinet positions, including the vice presidency, but Speed continually turned him down.

Its been a longstanding theory that Lincoln and Speed actually did have sex, but I'm not sure how seriously its taken by modern historians. Again, I am not a historian, I just remember that bit.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VH4Ever posted:

Buchanan may have had sex with his predecessor's VP, does that count?

efb, naturally

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fulchrum posted:

I am not a historian, but from what I remember, Lincoln actually shared a bed with his friend Joshua Speed for four years when they were younger, and remained close long after. Lincoln even traveled to Kentucky to meet with Speed during a long bout of depression, to be consoled. Lincoln offered Speed a number of cabinet positions, including the vice presidency, but Speed continually turned him down.

Its been a longstanding theory that Lincoln and Speed actually did have sex, but I'm not sure how seriously its taken by modern historians. Again, I am not a historian, I just remember that bit.

Lincoln and Speed also exchanged very heartfelt letters to each other.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Didn't Nelson just kinda sit on his rear end and not start campaigning until mid-October or something? Dude didn't exactly work to keep his seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

I'm not sure how seriously its taken by modern historians. Again, I am not a historian, I just remember that bit.

Not seriously at all. They shared the bed because beds were handmade like all other furniture and were shared frequently by people that didn't have a lot of money.