Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Emperor is a very convenient stand for normal people but even then having an entire extra body like most stands is probably more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

.....i.....extremely disagree

I also haven't seen anything past these bits of part 5 so I am probably extremely wrong, but being able to summon up a gun with magic bullets is pretty great.

I'd also say that Sex Pistols needing a real gun with real bullets to work is a big downside.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Emperor is at least on the short list of enemy stands that actually killed* a main character

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Emperor also has the flaw of not belonging to a main character so it's working at an intense disadvantage.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah my problem with Emperor is the lack of versatility. It's only good at Murder but not even in a cool way. If you're fighting normal people, yeah it's pretty great, but against other Stand users I feel it falters against other reality bending powers, like I feel Bruno with his Sounds Lame But Good In Practice ability could wreck an intelligent Emperor user. Hell, even Hol Horse admits that Avdol could have melted his bullets.

Even if Mista and Hol Horse were to quick draw duel, Mista doesnt have to mentally control where each bullet goes, Sex pistols does most of the work In fact that's probably Hol Horse isnt just constantly squeezing the trigger, and if its only super good part is its infinite ammo, then I'll just say we have not seen Mista reload his gun yet so stay tuned

In fact I bet Sex Pistols could redirect Emperors bullets the same way they same it does for their own bullets so like, I really don't see Hol Horse winning unless you really catch Mista slipping

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
On a slightly different topic, what would be the ideal medium for a JoJo game?

I remember Eyes of Heaven tried to do this crossover of all of the JoJo parts (and I'd recommend not looking up the story if you're anime only), but it was just a straight fighting game. So you have weird stuff like Jotaro and Polnareff just being able to fight Bruno and Vanilla Ice at the same time and win, but I can't see a conceivable way a fight like that would even work based on those power sets.

An RPG seems like it could be a better medium, but then you'd need really scripted fights or you'd wind up with something like the 7th Stand User where you have a billion different status effects.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
an adventure/puzzle game mixed with azura's wrath

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

shenmue but it's jojo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yakuza is already like three texture/model swap mods away from being a part 4 game

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'd definitely have to go with "Yakuza but it's JoJo".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The big upside of Emperor is that you have an invisible gun so you can just shoot someone in broad daylight and get away with it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the capcom jojo fighting game and I adore the SaGa-inspired rpgmaker jojo fanfic 7th Stand User which is about part 3 but there's a 7th person and that person is you and you get your own stand from a list of like... 18 I think, though even that game spoils stuff from other parts just through easter eggs and references.

I know it'll seem like a joke but I really do think that the best jojo game would be a jojo take on the classic horror game "Don't poo poo Your Pants"

You're given a situation where you have very specific tools and not a lot of time to figure out what to do with them and you have to use your tools in a way to get out of trouble without failing and making GBS threads your pants dying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The big upside of Emperor is that you have an invisible gun so you can just shoot someone in broad daylight and get away with it.

to be fair to mista he can pretty much do that, too

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. As a mafia member you probably want the intimidation factor of an actual gun while as an assassin being able to sneak weapons into places would be useful. Both are appropriate for the user IMO.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Johnny Joestar posted:

shenmue but it's jojo

"Do you know where Stand users hang out?"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It's weird, because when I finally saw Sex Pistols in action in this episode, my initial thoughts also compared it to Hol Horse and the Emperor, but I was left with the impression that it's more of an upgrade to the concept than a downgrade.

"Invisible gun with infinite ammo and bullets that you can control mid-flight," sounds really good on paper... but even by his own admission Hol Horse's Stand is pretty drat weak. So weak that he takes pride in playing a supporting, #2 role to someone with an actually useful Stand. And it might just be that Hol Horse himself was poo poo at it, but for a guy who can control which way his bullets are going, he's remarkably bad at actually killing people with his Stand. He managed to hit Avdol in the head and still failed to actually kill him, and more to the point, he accidentally shot himself with his own drat Stand. And even if Mista's gun is "just a normal gun with normal bullets," Stand users are just as vulernable to normal bullets as anyone else (barring Stand shenanigans), and unlike the Emperor, if you need to use a gun to intimidate someone who doesn't have a Stand, they can actually see the gun you're waving in their face.

In conclusion, gun-based Stands are a land of contrasts, and the Emperor sucks compared to Sex Pistols.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sex pistols gets you six good friends, emperor gets you zero

no contest

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say Emperor is better overall, but it's user was pretty bad at using it. A thing to remember for them both is that the mundane bullets are innately inferior to the stand bullets, because the Emperor's bullets can hurt stands, while mundane bullets can't.

Sex Pistols also has the flaw in that unless set up ahead of time to allow it, they can only redirect a bullets path once.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I legit forget what emperor does

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
how quickly we all forget Harvest. More Is Better

If we wanna get :goonsay: Sex Pistols can travel the full range of a bullet going by it's stat page, and a bullet shot from a handgun can go 2300 meters (provided it doesnt hit anything). I'm almost sure Mista can't see through Sex Pistols and thought he doesn't have precise control over them, that's about a mile in any direction that Mista can scout and affect things without having to be present for. The utility of that in the fights JoJo just makes that the more useful Stand imo.

Also again, Hol Horse does have infinite ammo, but never shoots more than three or four bullets at once cause he has to control them himself, unlike Sex Pistols which work as a team

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I legit forget what emperor does

It's literally just a gun with infinite ammo and bullets that Hol Horse can control the trajectory of.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Remember when there was a pedophile monkey who had a boat for a stand

Early part 3 before he actually had an idea of how stands should work ruled

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like the capcom jojo fighting game and I adore the SaGa-inspired rpgmaker jojo fanfic 7th Stand User which is about part 3 but there's a 7th person and that person is you and you get your own stand from a list of like... 18 I think, though even that game spoils stuff from other parts just through easter eggs and references.

The best thing about 7th Stand User is the ambition that went into creating it when you realize that the creator put in nearly every scene worth remembering from part 3 in it while also having to add some unique dialog at various points for 18 different player characters. This gets even crazier when you look into the code using RPG Maker 2000 and see the content that never made it past one or two events before being left incomplete.

In addition to being to able play the game again as Josuke with some of part 3 changed to fit him into the story there were apparently plans to implement a bunch of different Jojo characters as possible protagonists. From what I can find had the game been finished you would have been able to play as Kira, Okuyasu, Koichi, Jolyne, Gyro, and even Baoh. Sadly the intro events for each of them come up as garbled text which probably has to do with the game being translated from Japanese and not everything coming out right. Putting even half of them into the game as playable characters for part 3 would have been amazing, it's a shame that it was never finished.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Remember when there was a pedophile monkey who had a boat for a stand

Early part 3 before he actually had an idea of how stands should work ruled

Goonami aired the OVA yesterday; it removed the pedophilia angle and introduced him and Polnareff at the same time. Polnareff also kills Forever by cutting his head in half.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would generally prefer if the pedophile boat ape didn't exist

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the weirdest part is that his name is the only non white music group iirc

like i dont think that really means anything but it's a super bad look

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would generally prefer if the pedophile boat ape didn't exist

I mean the pedophile part is terrible but a monkey with a hat and a boat rules

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Expect My Mom posted:

Not the only one.

Cameo
Full Force/Hol Horse
Mariah
Terence Trent D'Arby
Chaka Khan
Youssou N'Dour

Though Forever was named years after the fact (because the Wu Tang Clan did not exist in the 80s).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Expect My Mom posted:

Nah we got Boyz II Men at the very least in part 4, and there is at least one reference in a later part.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There should be a list of the most pulled out of arakis rear end stands

Strength
Cheap Trick
Super Fly
Bastet

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We don't talk about the orangutan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sorry i meant part 3 stands when i said that but i was super wrong

Funky Valentine posted:

Not the only one.

Cameo
Full Force/Hol Horse
Mariah
Terence Trent D'Arby
Chaka Khan
Youssou N'Dour

Though Forever was named years after the fact (because the Wu Tang Clan did not exist in the 80s).
yeah okay, i knew there had to be more i wasnt thinking of, duh

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Expect My Mom posted:

how quickly we all forget Harvest. More Is Better

I will still go down swinging that Harvest is both the most useful stand in all of JoJos, but the fact that it didn't just one-shot everyone Shigechi fought is purely on Shigechi being an idiot.

Josuke, Okuyasu and Kira ALL got within a hair's breadth of getting absolutely punked out by Harvest with ease.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ultimately, at the end of the day, Stand battles aren't determined by the relative power levels of the users' Stands, but by who can out-Galaxy Brain their opponent first.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Wrestlepig posted:

the thing about stands is that ranking them on power levels is completely irrelevant. A guy who can stop time and also has super strength got beaten by a rat with a gun.

I'd like to think Jotaro went in like that because he brought Josuke along on purpose. If he picked Koichi instead, he'd probably have stayed in cover more and made Koichi make cat sounds or some poo poo to scare Bug-Eaten out into a trap or something.

Anyway I think my whole point in bringing up Emperor vs Sex Pistols is that Araki probably went too buck wild doling out stand powers from the get-go and Sex Pistols is probably more of what he was doing for in his galaxy-brain stand battles. That or he needs to stop mixing guns with stands because guns are already plenty powerful enough on their own and I'll always roll my eyes at every anime/manga that renders guns as useful as a butter knife compared to the Superior Art of the Katana.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Willsun posted:

I'd like to think Jotaro went in like that because he brought Josuke along on purpose. If he picked Koichi instead, he'd probably have stayed in cover more and made Koichi make cat sounds or some poo poo to scare Bug-Eaten out into a trap or something.

Anyway I think my whole point in bringing up Emperor vs Sex Pistols is that Araki probably went too buck wild doling out stand powers from the get-go and Sex Pistols is probably more of what he was doing for in his galaxy-brain stand battles. That or he needs to stop mixing guns with stands because guns are already plenty powerful enough on their own and I'll always roll my eyes at every anime/manga that renders guns as useful as a butter knife compared to the Superior Art of the Katana.

I mean that's literally a video game in your example.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There should be a list of the most pulled out of arakis rear end stands

We'd never finish writing it. Just look at a list of every Stand in Jojo, that'll be easier. Or don't, because if you're an anime-only watcher that'd obviously have a crapton of spoilers.

W.T. Fits posted:

Ultimately, at the end of the day, Stand battles aren't determined by the relative power levels of the users' Stands, but by who can out-Galaxy Brain their opponent first.

This is very important. Remember Okuyasu's Stand was a one-hit kill with no real weaknesses beyond range, which is barely a weakness when every strong Stand is short-ranged in the first place, and even so Okuyasu wasn't nearly as dangerous as, say, Vanilla Ice who had a very similar power, simply because Okuyasu is the best boy and thus kind of an idiot.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Willsun posted:

weird diversion but also emperor owned polnareff's stand at least

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Emperor's power is gun and Chariot's power is sword and well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is very important. Remember Okuyasu's Stand was a one-hit kill with no real weaknesses beyond range, which is barely a weakness when every strong Stand is short-ranged in the first place, and even so Okuyasu wasn't nearly as dangerous as, say, Vanilla Ice who had a very similar power, simply because Okuyasu is the best boy and thus kind of an idiot.

Range was also not that much of a weakness for him either when he could pull things toward him by erasing the space between them.