Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
EDIT: gently caress, brutal page snipe

One side comment to the above worth mentioning is in the last decade or so we’ve started seeing a lot more unmanned turrets, really just bigger versions of the CROWS style stuff you saw on top of every US vehicle in recent pointless conflicts. These are 20-30mm (and/or ATGM) armed turrets that don’t penetrate into the hull, allowing APCs to have IFV style weapon laodouts without losing troop capacity or internal volume to the large complicated turret assemblies most IFVs have. Look up the Stryker Dragoon as the most obvious example but it’s a concept that is popping up all over.

The line between IFV and APC is likely to blur a lot more on armament front, and probably fall even more on things like weight / air transportability, something that is already kind of a good dividing line. Fitting into a 130J or A400M vs a C-17 is often a big deal in the long run.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think a large part of that comes from irregular conflicts now being the expectation rather than WW3 scenarios. Any military vehicle is now expected to be a target that can be attacked by irregular forces at any time, rather than a concept of a front line behind which vehicles don't need to be well armed or armored to do their job.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Valtonen posted:

And the definition of HMG/autocannon is the bore. Autocannon is anything past 20mm (14.5 KPV Im BTR-70 is heavy machinegun, 20mm Vulcan in F-16 is a cannon)

Oh, how I wish it were that simple. The 15mm MG-151/15 is defined as an autocannon. The 14.5mm KPV is defined as a heavy machinegun. The FN BRG-15, unsuccessful as it may have been, was an attempt to make a NATOfied KPV so it's a heavy machine gun too, but it's 15.5mm. So someone is wrong and it's up to you whether that's FN or Mauser.

LatwPIAT posted:

Additionally, a lot of IFVs and better-protected APCs shared the design principle of "can ride into combat and unload troops while under fire or fight with troops inside". It seems pretty clear to me that receiving direct fire was expected for these vehicles, not something that happens because someone hosed up somewhere. The Schützenpanzer HS.30 was built with this in mind, and that design philosophy eventually ends up in APCs like the AIFV-B-.50.

Even the terribly protected APCs were expected to ride into combat alongside their troops. Look at the M113 ACAV or the FV432 with the Peak Engineering turret or the OT-62 recoilless rifle mod. Even the Mark IX tank, the first ever APC, had a pair of machine guns in the front with which it was supposed to support its dismounts while taking fire in their stead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's amazing and almost comical how heavily armed the late generation BMPs and BMDs are lol.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Valtonen posted:

There had been a few vehicles like it before Im pretty sure but BMP was Russian- not a niche expensive sidenote but a vehicle that would be given to a poo poo ton of WP formations.

After BMP1 came out (and before people realized that aside from the mindboggling front slope angle it had armor that wouldnt hold out an angry man with a hatchet) everyone else scrambled to make sure they got something like that- hence CV90, Brads, Warrior and every other IFV out there.

The BMP-1 was itself partly a response to the West German Schützenpanzer HS.30. The HS.30 inspired the US to make the designs that would turn into the Bradley, because they liked the idea of an APC that could do more than just taxi troops into battle. The CV90 is just a development of the Pbv 301, a vehicle the predates the BMP-1 by several years. The appearance of the BMP-1 probably hastened a few projects but the concept was already in full swing at that point.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cythereal posted:

I think a large part of that comes from irregular conflicts now being the expectation rather than WW3 scenarios. Any military vehicle is now expected to be a target that can be attacked by irregular forces at any time, rather than a concept of a front line behind which vehicles don't need to be well armed or armored to do their job.

Partly, but AMPV is the M113 replacement and has no hard requirement for heavier weapons mounts. It’s really just that technology has shown you can make these heavier RWS feasible and fit them on top of the APC hull without interfering with the internal volume, which was really the big issue as every inch you eat into the troop compartment hurts troop capacity or adds drastically to size/wieght. It’s the singular reason you can’t fit a 9 man squad into a Bradley.

The Dragoon was a proof of concept to the army but there’s pretty good indication that it’s going to become a much more regular part of SBCTs in the future, and the idea is showing up lot of other places.

EDIT: I think a significant element to it is or will be the miniaturization of stuff like smart fuzing; you can fit a fuze onto a 25mm or 30mm round that can be set to airburst at specific ranges or even guided, but that doesn't translate well down to .50. Giving SBCTs organic 30mm elements is a big plus to their firepower that previously required M1128s, and furthering down that line means things like hiding behind a small berm or in a shallow ditch is basically not cover at all. It's a pretty serious capability jump from just shooting .50 at things. The big reason for the original Dragoon concept was fighting potential MRBs in Europe again, which is why the 2nd ID got the first Dragoons, but it will filter down into much more than that in the future IMO.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 19, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LatwPIAT posted:

Sure. That's not the same as being shot at being a gently caress-up, though.

That's generally how the world's maneuver forces view it but ymmv

Mazz posted:

The line between IFV and APC is likely to blur a lot more on armament front, and probably fall even more on things like weight / air transportability, something that is already kind of a good dividing line. Fitting into a 130J or A400M vs a C-17 is often a big deal in the long run.

This exact issue is literally causing shouting matches among G2 system folks and it is hilarious. Like, the PLAA has an APC, that they clearly use in an APC role, that weighs significantly more than several of their IFV subtypes, that they clearly use in IFV roles. This makes taxonomic-minded folks very uncomfortable.

The intel community at large has more or less landed on the sensor and targeting package as the best way to assess a vehicle's intended role. APCs generally still have unsophisticated mounts, while IFVs have mounts with advanced optics, stabilizers, and so on. This sounds silly at first -- like, an uparmored huvmee with a crows nest can be categorized as an IFV -- but it also mirrors how they're used operationally in a lot of cases.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 19, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Plus the M3 Lee wasn't half bad as a Babby's First Medium Tank.

These tanks are the state of the art when the Lee first rolls of the assembly line:
Panzer IV ausf. E (short 75mm gun, 30mm of front armor)
Panzer III ausf. F (37 or 50mm gun, 30mm of front armor)
T-34 model 1941
KV-1 model 1941
Valentine II

The Lee outguns all of these, outarmors all but the KV-1, outranges all but the T-34, and is faster than all except the T-34. Hell, the Lee's piddly little 37mm gun could reliably defeat any tank belonging to a hostile nation in 1941. The Lee was probably the most technologically advanced and best made tank of 1941, but it's layout was ridiculous because it was made by a nation that had literally zero experience with armoured warfare at that point in time.

It's also worth noting the rapid timeline of US tank development:

1936:
Rock Island Arsenal begins working on the T5 Medium Tank.

1939:
April: Medium Tank T5E2 begins testing at Aberdeen, it's a M2 Medium Tank prototype with a 75mm gun in a sponson.
June: Rock Island finalizes the design of the T5 as the M2 Medium Tank and builds 18 of them.

1940:
June-July: The design of the M3 Lee is finalized.
August: The specifications for what would become the M4 Sherman are issued on the last day of the month. A wooden mock-up of the M3 Lee is delivered. The ordinance board orders the M3 into full-scale production. Despite the design being obsolete, Chrysler is contracted to deliver 100 M2A1 Medium tanks a month between then and August 1942 because the army needs tanks now and they'll just swap the order to M3s or M4s as production comes on line.

1941:
February: M4 Sherman design work starts.
March: First M3 Lee prototype is finished and begins testing at Aberdeen.
May: Factories begin delivering the first pilot prototypes of the M3 Lee.
August: M3 Lee enters production. M2 Medium tank production is halted at 94 units.
September: M4 Sherman prototype T6 is finished. First 20 M3s reach the UK.

1942:
February: The cast hull M4A1 Sherman enters production.
July: The welded hull M4 Sherman enters production.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 19, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Huh. I read one of the assessments of the LVTP-7A1 that was part of the lead up to the new weapons station, and it mentioned that the vehicle was only armoured against .30 cal from any angle.

There's no exact line here. "Armored" at very close ranges, or typical engagement ranges, etc?

LatwPIAT posted:

Sure. That's not the same as being shot at being a gently caress-up, though.

I didn't say it was. But this is a real dilemma for APCs/IFVs - they want to be able to shoot up an enemy as "fire support" for the grunts they carry, but they don't really have the ability to take punishment in return.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
BMP was also designed in the middle of the nuclear era with the objective that it could ride through a nuclear or chemical wasteland with its passengers safe inside the overpressured hull. While enemy infantry would have to fight in clumsy hazmat suits or get exposed, Soviet mechanized rifle infantry could do drivebys through their rifle ports (they even have a fume suction system for this). Or more likely, provide defensive fire while the vehicles were stationary, as spotting anything from the peep holes while moving is unlikely.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Can anyone do an effort posts about Toyota Landcruisers and Hiluxes in war? How the gently caress do ISIS get so many 75 series land cruisers?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there a dedicated thread for wargames, especially the PC variety. I don't have search :(

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there a dedicated thread for wargames, especially the PC variety. I don't have search :(

Here's the thread for computer wargames:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909

Funnily enough over the years I feel like I've lost my taste for tactical-level wargaming as I've gotten older and more aware of what war entails.

Anyways can anybody comment on if the Rikugun/Kangzhan books about the IJA/IJN and Chinese military forces by Leland Ness worth checking out? Asking since the Kindle editions are on sale for a few bucks each on Amazon right now. There seems to be a general sale on WWII stuff by Glantz and other authors too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well I'm pretty good at wc3 which I'd say is way more tactics than strategy for the most part. I'm also good at Advance Wars which is like an ultra watered down TBS game. Sometimes I would like to play on some huge hex style ACW or Napoleonic sim.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

Can anyone do an effort posts about Toyota Landcruisers and Hiluxes in war? How the gently caress do ISIS get so many 75 series land cruisers?

Nearly every single car in the Middle East is a Toyota of some kind. When I was in North Jordan and Syria I didn’t see anything other than Toyota pickups of various kinds for two months. They’re just around and about.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well I'm pretty good at wc3 which I'd say is way more tactics than strategy for the most part. I'm also good at Advance Wars which is like an ultra watered down TBS game. Sometimes I would like to play on some huge hex style ACW or Napoleonic sim.

Sorry, I meant "tactical level" in the sense of the scale. Abstracted strategic/operational level Hearts of Iron/TOAW/CMANO stuff is fine, it's just I've somewhat lost my taste for Advanced Squad Leader/Steel Panthers level stuff where your mistakes get individuals killed. Though partially due to this, Burden of Command is one game I'm really looking forwards to.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/887490/Burden_of_Command/

There's also a thread for more generalist strategy games too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869771

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Where does that troop carrying MBT the Israelis have fit into the IFV /APC discussion?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Big Willy Style posted:

Coots have been scouring New Zealand for five or ten years, shipping off hiluxes to Dubai. As to where they go from there, I couldn't say.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nuclear War posted:

Where does that troop carrying MBT the Israelis have fit into the IFV /APC discussion?

It's also a mortar carrier

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

It's a capability, but afaik not used much because it means sacrificing main gun ammo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
can anyone identify this SAM?

from this article

https://ops.group/blog/the-risks-posed-to-civil-aircraft-by-surface-to-air-missiles/

I'm assuming they are Chinese soldiers

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I don't think that's a SAM at all, it looks a lot like like an AA2 atoll, the Soviet sidewinder clone

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Generally they fall outside it. The Merkava's ability to a small number of troops is very secondary to its role as a tank.

Though one thing to keep in mind in a discussion like this is that there's no ISO-standard for armoured fighting vehicles that authoritatively determines whether something is or isn't a tank, APC, IFV, or similar. Different organizations use different classifications to meet their taxonomic needs. A lot of the time you'll see people use the definition from the Treaty on Conventional Forces in Europe, which asserted that "armoured personnel carriers" were armoured, cross-country personnel transports armed with cannons less than 20 mm in calibre, and "armoured infantry fighting vehicles" were cross-country personnel transports armed with cannons of 20 mm calibre or more.

Cessna posted:

I didn't say it was. But this is a real dilemma for APCs/IFVs - they want to be able to shoot up an enemy as "fire support" for the grunts they carry, but they don't really have the ability to take punishment in return.

I know you didn't say that, but I'm also trying to respond in the context of bewbies statements and his purported knowledge of the doctrine behind every APC design in the world.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
isnt bewbies like, a professional doctrine guy at leavenworth or some poo poo

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Epicurius posted:

I'm pretty sure pole charges weren't standardized, but made by the unit.

How are they fashioned? I'm assuming gammon/satchel on a stick with glue, but I'd love to hear more.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

from this article

https://ops.group/blog/the-risks-posed-to-civil-aircraft-by-surface-to-air-missiles/

I'm assuming they are Chinese soldiers

Looks like Taiwanese MIM-72 Chapparral.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I only learned who they were after someone used Byzantine as an adjective and I looked the word up

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

isnt bewbies like, a professional doctrine guy at leavenworth or some poo poo

Clearly Leavenworth needs to spend more time considering the doctrine behind the Pbv 301, then. :v:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Nuclear War posted:

Merkava is the only MBT in the world with engine in the front. This means that Merkava has troop doors and some space for extra stuff behind the fighting compartment. Usually Its reserved for ammo but it can house like 4 dismounts or 2 stretchers- the Israeli have designed, not sure If fielded, a ”tankbulance” Merkava with 120mm gun. This is a hilariously offending breach of conventions *if* they were to actually paint red crosses on the sides and still operate it as a tank. If they ever actually did so I havent heard. Then there is Namer, which is basically uparmored, turretless Merkava- a superheavy APC?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Valtonen posted:

Merkava is the only MBT in the world with engine in the front. This means that Merkava has troop doors and some space for extra stuff behind the fighting compartment. Usually Its reserved for ammo but it can house like 4 dismounts or 2 stretchers- the Israeli have designed, not sure If fielded, a ”tankbulance” Merkava with 120mm gun. This is a hilariously offending breach of conventions *if* they were to actually paint red crosses on the sides and still operate it as a tank. If they ever actually did so I havent heard. Then there is Namer, which is basically uparmored, turretless Merkava- a superheavy APC?

Here is the Namer:

As for the tankbulance. Yes, they are out there. They still have the weapon systems. And it is NOT protected by the Conventions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The israeli military and political leadership is.. less than interested in playing fair, so they probably could skirt the conventions and paint a cross on it if it occurred to them. Still would be pretty unsporting though, that is some dystopian cityfight poo poo right there.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

(they even have a fume suction system for this).

While it is a cool idea in practice those those things are a mess. There's a little aluminum fitting that clips over the AK; it also acts as a brass deflector, making the ejected brass drop down - straight into the shooter's crotch. There's a green hose that attaches to this for the fume extractor that seems like it would pinch on anything in the area.

You don't just stick a rifle through the port. There's a ball-mount that you have to take out of the hull, clamp over the end of your rifle, then you stick the rifle back in a mount so it pokes out of the hull. Doing this would open the hull to any chemical agent you're trying to keep out. I'm not saying that there's a good solution here, but opening and closing the hull lets in the stuff you're trying to keep out. (You can see why they went with those silly firing-port weapons for the early Bradleys.)

And the viewport is a tiny (maybe 1" x 3") block of wavy yellow-ish glass that doesn't line up with the sights of the rifle. I doubt you'd be able to hit a target 10 yards away.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
None of those tanks have a cross on them - it’s a red Star of David. :eng101:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm running a Fallout civ quest set in the UK.
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/fallout-britain.51618/

Does anyone have any info on UK civil defense plans from the Cold War? I'd rather not watch Threads again.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

War Plan UK might be a good place to start! It’s also very fallout because it really really focuses on the continuation of government and unapologetically spins it to be a gently caress you got mine narrative. Not the most objective book on the purpose of civil defence but it goes through the plans well.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Alan Smithee posted:

Taiwanese Sky Sword I missile from the Antelope SHORAD system:

Points of identification relative to Chaparral are the two part curve of the leading edge and the shallowly swept trailing edge of the forward fins, similar to those of an AIM-9L/M.

Points of identification relative to the air launched Sky Sword I are the fact that it's green.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

FrangibleCover posted:

Taiwanese Sky Sword I missile from the Antelope SHORAD system:

Points of identification relative to Chaparral are the two part curve of the leading edge and the shallowly swept trailing edge of the forward fins, similar to those of an AIM-9L/M.

Points of identification relative to the air launched Sky Sword I are the fact that it's green.

Note they are also dummy missiles. Blue band means training round. Also note the tailfins don't have the rollerons.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
All short range IR missiles look too similar. Field must be open for disruption. Something something plasma? 3D vector thrust? I'll call some techbros and see what we can get together.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does anyone have any info on UK civil defense plans from the Cold War? I'd rather not watch Threads again.

Hey, there's also When the Wind Blows for a light-hearted pick-me-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Cessna posted:

Hey, there's also When the Wind Blows for a light-hearted pick-me-up.

Hah, just about to post that. Honestly it hosed me up way worse than Threads ever did. I think it's because Brigg's art style is so instantly recognisable and comforting, until everything peters out in total nihilistic despair.