Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

SirSystemError posted:

Aside, also think we need Satori here, but priorities and policies.

I see, I see. Koishi to 8 left,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I will never give up on the Aki (1) dream. 6 remaining.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
FA Nitori leaves 3.5 if I'm not mistaken.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Hina 1.5 left.

Look, a level where Hina is actually useful for something is coming up!

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

You're lucky I refreshed after you edited that post.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Golden Battler posted:

You're lucky I refreshed after you edited that post.

Sorry about that. I thought a different stage was coming up for some reason.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

RegalStar posted:

Hina 1.5 left.

Look, a level where Hina is actually useful for something is coming up!

excuse you hina is very useful and precious.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

May as well end it with Dai.

Also I definitely was about to tear up here, great writing, great song. I have no idea about Touhou lore so the fourth Prismriver eludes me but it worked very well.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Blaze Dragon posted:

May as well end it with Dai.

Also I definitely was about to tear up here, great writing, great song. I have no idea about Touhou lore so the fourth Prismriver eludes me but it worked very well.

Layla Prismriver is a canon character from the Prismrivers' backstory. Count Prismriver loving Died After An Accident, and four of his three daughters went their separate ways from the mansion. The fourth, Layla, conjured three poltergeists in their likeness with sorcery, and they stayed around up to her death, then they ended up in Gensokyo.

She's one of like three characters who are backstory only due to being either Very Explicitly Dead or Missing. Her, Youki Konpaku, Myouren Hijiri.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Actually oops I messed up. Please pretend there's no post here.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 17, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Has Makura been out of shadow yet...?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Clarste posted:

Has Makura been out of shadow yet...?

...Ah shoot, you're right.

Retracting for now then, I'm dumb.

My sincere apologies to anyone who saw, I forget how long it takes for her to be out of shadow.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 17, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Are we sure that wasn't the final stage of the game? We've already fought copies of the PCs, used the the power of friendship to beat an invincible monster powered by despair and saved a mysterious amnesiac orphan then left her to die, do we have any SRW cliches left for the finale?

Yuuka isn't going to be playable again until the end isn't she.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You left out the new JAM project remix of the battle theme when the heroes turn the tide.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Really dropped the ball not vocalizing that version of Phantom Ensemble. :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Really dropped the ball not vocalizing that version of Phantom Ensemble. :v:

I doubt they had the budget for that.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren::siren::siren:
Chapter 75
:siren::siren::siren:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
RETURNING CHARACTER

Yuuka Kazami
Personal Skills
-Off-Season Bloom: While at 150 Power or above, damage +15%.
-Thank You Flower: Counterattack damage +15%
-Unreachable Flower: The effect of "Diligence" is doubled.
-Intimidating: Casts "Pressure" on all enemy units. (Once per chapter).
-Blooming: When the "Full Bloom" command is used, restores 50% SP.
Spirit Commands: Drive, Pressure, Strike, Wall, Fury, Valor

After 7 years, 4 games, and almost 70 chapters of build up, we've finally got Yuuka in her full glory. Does she live up to the hype?

Yes.

If you ignore the fact that we only have her for the literal end of the game, she's probably the strongest combat unit in the game. But you'd expect nothing else from Shu Shirakawa, right?

Just like back in FMW3, she is kind of like Marisa+Sakuya, on steroids. She is the only unit in the game with Parry, Shield Block, and a Double Image, making her ridiculously hard to kill, even ignoring her considerable Armor. If you want to go absolutely crazy with it, Unreachable Flower doubles the effect of Diligence (which she starts with at L2). The result is that she has a flat 80%(!) chance to dodge everything, on top of being highly likely to block. She's, like, basically unkillable. Alternatively, you could just run Off-Season Bloom and give up some tankiness for even more damage.

Speaking of damage...

Yuuka gained a new special command, which allows her to transform(?) into her new Full Bloom mode. Statistically the only difference is she gains 10% HP and MP Regeneration, but the main difference is her weaponlist swapping out to her new FMW4 attacks. They're all tremendously powerful, but they're also tremendously expensive, and just like with EX Keine you can't transform back, so it's worth thinking about. In the worst case, Flowering Shoot has 25 ammo in either form, so she'll never be without stuff to do.

yes I know Ultimate Spark is based on HTB Cannon but let's be real Yuuka is way more Neo Granzon than she is SRX

---

-Yuuka's attack animations.

---

This time, both Marisa and Reimu are forced by the game itself. So with Marisa not costing us extra, and the game being extra generous, we've got a whole 70.0 Cost to work with!

Have fun.

Daiyousei
Sunny
Luna
Star

Elly
Kurumi
Rumia
Cirno
Koakuma
Letty
Chen
Lily White
Lunasa
Merlin
Lyrica
Wriggle
Mystia
Tewi
Medicine
Shizuha
Minoriko
Hina
Nitori
Kisume
Yamame
Parsee
Nazrin
Kogasa
Shou
Raysen

Alice
Meiling
Patchouli
Sakuya
Youmu
Keine
Reisen
Komachi
FA Nitori
Momiji
Aya
Hatate
Sanae
Iku
Rin
Satori
Koishi
Ichirin
Murasa
Shou (Pagoda)
Nue

Yumeko
Reimu
Ran
Mokou
Tenshi
Yuugi

Mima
Yuuka
Remilia
To be honest, it's getting harder and harder to think of something creative to put here. I mean, not that these were ever very creative, but, y'know.
Yuyuko
Yukari
Suika
Eirin
Kaguya
Eiki
Kanako
Suwako
Utsuho
Byakuren
Yorihime
Toyohime
Hisoutensoku

Shinki

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2018

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Mima 66.5

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
[6:14 PM] Clarste: also I can't believe you resisted the urge to use the word reality marble to describe yuuka's flower field
[6:14 PM] Battler: gently caress

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
byaks 63

This fight was a goddamn nightmare in earlier patches. IIRC fury just did not bypass her poo poo so you could only cast strike and pray to god she wouldn't trigger her shield defense. I really liked her boss music but listening to it for 3 hours straight was not pleasant

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yamame 61

This stage is both the best and the worst stage for a variety of reasons.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I hope you all enjoyed Sanbondo's in-depth look on the phrase ありのまま.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Thank you all for coming to Yuuka's poetry slam.

And yes, in the Reitaisai versions of the game Yuuka still had Blocking proper as an enemy on top of all her other poo poo so it was basically impossible to get a clean hit on her ever. For the store release they removed Blocking from her and gave her an enemy-only PS that works like Kaguya's Indomitable Will PS that only shields a certain number of attacks every turn.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
This stage is super boring to play since every attack is basically the same thing. If you get hit you die, if yuuka can attack you she has 100% chance to hit you, if you attack yuuka you need to use spirits to actually hit. The whole battle is very rote like the yorihime fight but without any intresting gimmicks to break it up.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Nages posted:

This stage is super boring to play since every attack is basically the same thing. If you get hit you die, if yuuka can attack you she has 100% chance to hit you, if you attack yuuka you need to use spirits to actually hit. The whole battle is very rote like the yorihime fight but without any intresting gimmicks to break it up.

Maybe in the old patches, but in this version of the game her accuracy is honestly kinda bad, and her damage is only get-hit-and-die levels later in the fight. I didn't show it off, but I had Marisa get hit by a Dual Spark at one point and narrowly survive.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Hisoutensoku for 57.5. MORE GIANT ROBOTS.

Always more giant robots.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Popping back in to highlight that as a flower is almost seven minutes long. I think it's the only non-medley song to not be looped on the official OST, because even the crazy minds at Sanbondo that thought it was fine to make you listen to Smoldering Ash for 8 minutes had to draw the line somewhere.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Shinki for 53.5

This is the only stage in the game I didn't bother to fully clear spells out, and that's because on the retaisai version Yuuka is just absolute horse-poo poo. I ran out of manpower and had to just time out her final spell, and the fight is such a long slog I didn't have it in me to try it again.

Also this is why i was laughing so hard about Yuuka being recommended, but I honestly feel bad for anyone who likes Yuuka, because she gets screwed HARD here, only being obtainable at the very tail end of the game.

This next chapter is one I've been looking forward to seeing translated for awhile, and been - um, dreading, too.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I don't know how much Yuuka costs but we're bringing her.

If she's not bringable, make it Sakuya

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I don't know how much Yuuka costs but we're bringing her.

If she's not bringable, make it Sakuya

3.5, I forgot to include her, my b

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
e: woops

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In terms of the story though, I think this chapter feels really... forced? Like, Yukari's already someone completely unrecognizable compared to her original Touhou version, but on top of that they give a huge amount of dramatic weight to something that doesn't actually feel all that dramatic (and then resolve it easily).

"You're lying to your wife, Yukari Yakumo! You are a contradiction!"
"Yeah, I guess I am. We cool?"

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 19, 2018

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Yuuka was just a marriage counselor all along.

It doesn't really help either that the two people who Yuuka claims Yukari's lies are hurting (other than Yukari herself) don't seem to care and completely sandbag Yuuka after the spellcard. Although I guess it IS very Touhou to have a dramatic plot point suddenly spring up and then resolve itself immediately without permanently impacting any character's lives or motivations.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I guess I'm the only one that likes this chapter :saddowns:.

Oh well, the next chapter is pretty cool.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

If I'm being charitable, I think it all loops back around to Yuuka being kind of self absorbed and a total prick in this series, so it makes sense she'd be all dramatic and sprout off on total nonsense that has no real grounding in reality.

But really they just needed someone to fulfill the "hey they were an aloof ally and now they're finally joining for the final battle after being convinced" trope. I like the chapter in isolation, but it probably never should have happened, Yuuka probably should have joined way earlier, but sometimes their extreme commitment to providing both robot wars and touhou nostalgia results in things like this.

edit: Honestly I do like she's not a push over a lot, if they'd just dial back her parry and shield defense nonsense this fight would probably be my favorite in the series, ignoring the narrative problems.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I don't regret voting Alice for 51 last chapter, but I wish somebody else had voted for Kogasa and more of the other weak characters, Dai bravely standing up to Yuuka (even for a moment) was pretty good.

Also, without the context of how horrible that fight was originally and with the context of Yukari being OOC here, I liked the chapter.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
So now the right chapter is here.

Normal Nitori, which assuming Yuuka and Alice means 45.5 left. I'm counting on someone else to bring in Toyohime, because with Ammo Save, some Enables, and some damage buffs from the likes of Eirin or Mystia (or just even more Enables), and Nitori spoonfeeding the elixir and possibly catridges, Toyohime can clean out all the mooks in one turn. (It's also extremely appropriate to do so, but explaining how would probably be unacceptably spoilerish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So help me you will bring Komachi for the entire rest of the game.

Math tells me she brings us down to 47.5 Cost, between her own 2.5 and Yuuka's 3.5 off of the 53.5 we had before.