Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

TaurusOxford posted:

It sucks when Nintendo forces motion controls on people because they know that if the option is there then nobody will use them.

I think an option should be there if it's possible to translate over whatever the mechanic is effectively. But I don't think it's should just be, press button instead of whatever, because that's just changing the gameplay to something else. It's why arms is so much better when motion is in play compared to just mashing buttons. And your second statement isn't exactly true. Most people just don't care, they'll play whatever is default. It's mostly the young "hardcore" who have issues learning new schemes. I say young, because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to those who grew up with all different types of control schemes and have no issues hopping from one to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
echoing the sentiment that motion controls are fine conceptually and it is very much the specific implementation in Let's Go that is overtly problematic

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bushisms.txt posted:

It's sucks that some people just can't seem to grasp motion controls. I think the fear of failure really gets to folks when they know the controls are aimed at literal children.

I grasp 'em fine, hombre. Trouble is sometimes they just don't work even though I'm doing the same input as ever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You think you are doing the same input, but it it's not doing the same thing, then you aren't

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Uprising deserves a switch port so people can play it without destroying their hands

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RME posted:

Uprising deserves a switch port so people can play it without destroying their hands
Nothing about the Switch would really make it more playable, unless it came with a stylus.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nah they know what's best for you

The funny thing is that Reggie claims catering to disabled gamers is an industry issue, but they're basically the only major company that keeps refusing to work with AbleGamers. :downsbravo:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

bushisms.txt posted:

I think an option should be there if it's possible to translate over whatever the mechanic is effectively. But I don't think it's should just be, press button instead of whatever, because that's just changing the gameplay to something else. It's why arms is so much better when motion is in play compared to just mashing buttons. And your second statement isn't exactly true. Most people just don't care, they'll play whatever is default. It's mostly the young "hardcore" who have issues learning new schemes. I say young, because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to those who grew up with all different types of control schemes and have no issues hopping from one to the other.

I don't have the game (mainly cause I can't afford it :canada:), but i've seen the pokeball throw in videos and it seems to me that the mechanic would translate just fine with a button press+directional input when you need to curve the throw.

It's not that I have a problem with learning new control schemes - I owned a Wii within the first year of it launching. My issue is that I have used motion controls enough to know that there's always going to be that one time where I fail to do something in a game by no fault of my own, simply because motion controls are not 100% reliable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should really let you use the handheld controls on the tv (because the handheld controls rule.)

They should also have some touchscreen controls.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Motion controls are weird in that with the tech we have right now they top out as fine I guess. Like their are a couple games where motion controls really work but for most games they seem more like busy work you have to deal with.

I mean I am not sure anyone can say physically throwing the ball adds all that much to the experience. Especially since you aren’t really throwing it but mimicking the motion for obvious reasons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

You think you are doing the same input, but it it's not doing the same thing, then you aren't

If the difference between two inputs in your control scheme is indiscernible to the user, it’s a bad control scheme :tipshat:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoctorWhat posted:

There are tons of people who will choose motion or otherwise nontraditional control methods. Kid Icarus Uprising's much-maligned controls were essentially the 3DS's best option for that sort of game and were fantastically implemented; Splatoon 2 and BOTW's gyro aiming is immaculate.

So Nintendo should feel confident in including a broad range of options, especially for players with disabilities, because for most people the motion controls are great and superior to literally any other option (analog stick aiming loving sucks!!!). It's their continual hostility towards accessibility options, such as their loud and emphatic refusal to support the Xbox Adaptive Controller, that's genuinely shameful.

Analog controls in console shooters tend to be fine. (Although yes, stuff like mouse controls are still king.) Splatoon's implementation of them is just horrible. They have so many dead zones and the camera is way too sensitive. Even by console shooter standards, Splatoon's stick controls are really bad. Motion is definitely an improvement, but it wouldn't be that much of a step up if they took the effort to actually make the analog controls good.

But at least the option to play without motion is there. Which is honestly just a pretty baffling thing for Nintendo to be leaving out in their other games. Yeah in a select few cases, there really isn't much of a replacement for motion, but in a lot of other cases, they can easily be translated into an input of some kind. Which just makes it a very needless barrier for people that can't even use them in the first place.

It's really baffling in Let's Go's case, given that there's an alternate control scheme the game has for capturing that the game won't let you use in docked mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Newest Star Allies trailer features Taranza getting emotionally bullied.

He will never be allowed to move on. Taranza is suffering.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Just finished labyrinth of refrain and uh, that sure was a story alright. Hard not to talk about it without spoiling stuff but if you like story in your dungeon crawlers it's a good choice. Also already going down in price last I checked.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1064399843265699840?s=21
A lot of great early Black Friday deals for Switch games. I grabbed that Namco Arcade Collection.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of great early Black Friday deals for Switch games. I grabbed that Namco Arcade Collection.

I'm signed in but getting stuck at the sign/create account page there. Clicking either just refreshes the same page.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I would hate the motion controls for Go more if I didn't have so many pokeballs. The game gives you lots of room for error.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm signed in but getting stuck at the sign/create account page there. Clicking either just refreshes the same page.

Maybe try logging out and then try logging back in. The site is probably getting slightly hammered at the moment as well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/FactsKirby/status/1063490188461121536

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are those different from the Nintendo deals they have already advertised?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nichael posted:

Are those different from the Nintendo deals they have already advertised?

They’re the same ones, just you can take advantage early if you have an account. I believe some of them aren’t online yet though like the $35 Starlink set.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think it'd be nice if Nintendo would allow or develop options to let disabled people play their games better. There's really no excuse for the motion controls in Let's Go to be mandatory in docked mode when it shuts out certain people from being able to enjoy the game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I think it'd be nice if Nintendo would allow or develop options to let disabled people play their games better. There's really no excuse for the motion controls in Let's Go to be mandatory in docked mode when it shuts out certain people from being able to enjoy the game.

the limited control options in docked mode drive me and my partner absolutely bananas. its just a silly decision to punish the player for a preference

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The pokeball was fun for about an hour and then the novelty wore off, and now I can only play in handheld mode. Let me use the pro controller you cowards :argh:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoMemo/status/827851707258433536

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do you guys use candy? Seems to me like it makes the game too easy.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Shoving the unworthy into the pokemon trash compactor is too much fun to not use candy.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Licarn posted:

Shoving the unworthy into the pokemon trash compactor is too much fun to not use candy.

I make candy, I just haven't used it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

a7m2 posted:

I'm stockpiling all of mine to use for the Master Trainers. I haven't used any yet because it seems the same to me.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Finally caved and got the Pro Controller. It's really drat nice.

A+++ would recommend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a7m2 posted:

I feed all my Candy to my relatively lovely Victreebel so she can keep up

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

happy 2 see that slavoj zizek's brother went in a totally different direction :allears:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

gamecube controller is best controller and this highlights the hard thinking that eventually led to it

the weirdo n64 controller and mario 64 both worked together on a whole new level was a bonkers paradigm shift taken for granted nowadays

its like nintendo...is good and packed full of the best institutional knowledge in the biz as long as it doesn't involve the world wide internet web????

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

a7m2 posted:

I like the candy system. If you don't want to break the game with it, there are a couple other good uses of it. Catch a rare Pokemon with a lovely nature/stats? Use candy to shore it up! Like a Pokemon's unevolved form better than its evolutions? Give it candy until it's at parity with where it would be if it evolved!

It's basically an adjustable difficulty system. It's good. Candy is good. Send the unworthy to the farm upstate back to the Professor!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a7m2 posted:

I used it to bring a new addition to the team up to speed with the rest of the team just so I wouldn’t have too much of a detour leveling it up just to keep going.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm making a snake party. Any suggestions?

I got Arbok, Onix, Gyarados, and plan on Dragonair.

I'd rather not have Ekans cause that's basically two of the same Pokemon.

I'm considering Fearow cause he looks kind of like a snake cause of the long rear end neck, which was all you could see in the originals when using him.

I can't recall if any of the other 151 are Sneklike

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Kanto's most forgettable pokemon: Dewgong

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

a7m2 posted:

does thing in game make game more fun for you? use it

no? don't

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm making a snake party. Any suggestions?

I got Arbok, Onix, Gyarados, and plan on Dragonair.

I'd rather not have Ekans cause that's basically two of the same Pokemon.

I'm considering Fearow cause he looks kind of like a snake cause of the long rear end neck, which was all you could see in the originals when using him.

I can't recall if any of the other 151 are Sneklike

caterpie? caterpillars are like little bug snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hmm... Can Caterpie learn any decent moves?