Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tabloids are kinda low-hanging fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1063500716814319621

I'm remembering how much the cheap vodka we'd get as a teenager would burn my mouth.

Vaginas don't absorb all of the alcohol in liquor-soaked tampons, so why wouldn't we?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Alarmist reporting about young people is a constant in human history, yet oddly, it usually seems to be the older generations who overwhelmingly drag societies into the abyss of war, economic instability and/or complete collapse.

"Oh no those ~Millennials~ and their avocados!"

*votes Trump/Brexit/old rapist/racist/supports decrepit pretender to the imperial Roman throne*

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

call center manager posted:

...it usually seems to be the older generations who overwhelmingly drag societies into the abyss of war, economic instability and/or complete collapse.

"Oh no those ~Millennials~ and their avocados!"

*votes Trump/Brexit/old rapist/racist/supports decrepit pretender to the imperial Roman throne*

It makes me laugh when they get mad on facebook and say things like 'those drat do-gooders' or 'political correctness gone mad!'. In the most simplistic response, the opposite of good is bad, and the opposite of correct is wrong, so they seem to take pride in being bad and wrong because that's how things were in their days.

I had lunch with family yesterday, and one was reading about the mexican immigrant caravan approaching the US. Their comment was 'How dare they think they can just march into another country and do whatever they want?' which is always hilariously ironic to me because we live in Australia, a loving british colony which was declared a no mans land despite the indigenous population.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

TheMostFrench posted:

It makes me laugh when they get mad on facebook and say things like 'those drat do-gooders' or 'political correctness gone mad!'. In the most simplistic response, the opposite of good is bad, and the opposite of correct is wrong, so they seem to take pride in being bad and wrong because that's how things were in their days.

I had lunch with family yesterday, and one was reading about the mexican immigrant caravan approaching the US. Their comment was 'How dare they think they can just march into another country and do whatever they want?' which is always hilariously ironic to me because we live in Australia, a loving british colony which was declared a no mans land despite the indigenous population.

My favourite is when they introduce some element of multiculturalism, like an non-white character (or even *gasp* a woman as in Dr Who) to kids TV and boomers moan that they're meddling and that kids don't need that. Err, you grew up with White TV and you celebrate a man who shot a black teenager, vote a white supremacist into the White House, successfully modernise racism to attract the young (the alt-right), and generally completely fail to empathise with anyone that doesn't share your skin colour or social standing. So you know what? Maybe if they'd have introduced those African and Indian characters in Thomas the Tank Engine when you were little, you wouldn't be so poo poo scared of them now and the world would be a better place :shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just lol if you think the world can be a better place

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

TheMostFrench posted:

one was reading about the mexican immigrant caravan approaching the US.

They're not Mexican immigrants, it's multiple caravans of people from Honduras and El Salvador. They're going through Mexico though.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

El Padrino posted:

They're not Mexican immigrants, it's multiple caravans of people from Honduras and El Salvador. They're going through Mexico though.

Just parroting what the newspapers described.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
If the caravan is located in Mexico than it's a Mexican caravan regardless of the constitution of the caravan

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

If the caravan is located in Mexico than it's a Mexican caravan regardless of the constitution of the caravan

This is a really dumb take. If you brew beer in Massachusetts and I buy it in Georgia, it isn't Georgian beer.

What did you have for dinner last night?

"Oh, human poo poo."

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Nov 17, 2018

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This is a really dumb take. If you brew beer in Massachusetts and I buy it in Georgia, it isn't Georgian beer.

Yeah it's kind of on the same level of hot takes as "if an army is in Iraq then it's the Iraqi army".

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Ah yes, cause all the brown peoples are the same.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

What did you have for dinner last night?

"Oh, human poo poo."

If you want to eat at Arby's, that's your business

Content:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
The 'un PC stuff' was Nazi literature or kiddy hentai. Or both.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Just lol if you think the world can be a better place

Just lol if you don't stand shoulder to shoulder with Enrique in solidarity with the downtrodden :unsmith:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I have a co-worker who's one of those stdh generators who's always got a story to one up anything that happened to you and yesterday he told me how he'd gotten to hold his newborn niece, just 24 hours old, the night before, and while he was holding her not only did she open her eyes for the first time and look right at him and smile, she even gained the neck strength to lift her head and look around the room

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
My great grandfather in law swore blind he could remember crawling around as a baby. He was well into his 90s when he made this claim.

Baby claims are pretty fertile stdh ground thinking about it. You'd hear stuff all the time from fellow baby parents. Usually that they're walking, talking, or eating at suspect ages. Your 6 month old is walking? Sure he is. Oh he's talking? Mmm hmmm. One mum even tried to claim that their kid had written their own name at an age where kids are barely starting to mash crayons onto paper.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Nov 18, 2018

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

I have a co-worker who's one of those stdh generators who's always got a story to one up anything that happened to you and yesterday he told me how he'd gotten to hold his newborn niece, just 24 hours old, the night before, and while he was holding her not only did she open her eyes for the first time and look right at him and smile, she even gained the neck strength to lift her head and look around the room

Is that like, a big deal? My son opened his eyes seconds after bursting forth like an alien. Ditto lifting his head.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Biplane posted:

Is that like, a big deal? My son opened his eyes seconds after bursting forth like an alien. Ditto lifting his head.

https://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-milestones-head-control_6579.bc

By the end of his first month, your baby should be able to lift his head briefly and turn it from side to side when lying on his stomach. At around 6 to 8 weeks, if he's especially strong and coordinated, he'll raise his head while lying on his back.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat. Guess my son is a superhuman.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My mum insists that my sister was saying words by about 3 months, like "hello" when people came in the room and poo poo. She absolutely will not let it go.

So yeah agreeing with poster that poo poo to do with babies is very fertile stdh ground

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't open my eyes for a couple of months after I was born, but that was because I was stupidly, ridiculously plump so my cheek and forehead fat forced my eyes shut. The nurses also kept getting angry at each other for leaving rubber bands around my wrists, but that also turned out to just be real fat hands and arms. Everyone was of the impression that I looked just like Russ Hinze.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Human babies aren't like kittens, all babies can open their eyes right away unless they're Buddha made flesh again like this dude^ (or I guess if they have some kind of medical issue)

They can't see poo poo for months though, like I think it's a few months before they can even focus their eyes beyond things a few cm out and kids don't get vision fully equivalent to healthy adults until they're like 18mo. That's why baby toys are always bright contrasting colours, because otherwise they don't stand out from the rest of the grey blue around them.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm the weathered and worn paper that has never been folded to be put in an envelope.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bike tory posted:

Human babies aren't like kittens, all babies can open their eyes right away unless they're Buddha made flesh again like this dude^ (or I guess if they have some kind of medical issue)

No medical issues here, just fat as gently caress. I was forcibly extracted a month early because I was just too loving fat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

No medical issues here, just fat as gently caress. I was forcibly extracted a month early because I was just too loving fat.

A true goon hero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That sounds like a medical issue.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Lol dude that's sick you were a badass.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya sounds like your mum had gestational diabetes or something

Fat babies are the best though, my kid was a barrel by 2 months and did nothing but eat. His poor mother.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

bike tory posted:

my kid was a barrel by 2 months and did nothing but eat his poor mother.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The hero we deserve

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

Have to share this
I finally snapped at someone. They found out I was an IT-tech and past first-level-support, so of course their reaction "Oh wow you see some funny stuff"
My response this time:
I watched a supervisor tear a page while pulling it out the printer, causing a jam, lying to my face about it. I saw an elderly woman hammering the print key, then calling me over because the printer printed too much. I restored an email-backup for someone for the third time this month because he deleted the important messages AGAIN by accident. I've seen my old boss go, leaving just 8 binders with his printed emails behind and no other data.
So, yeah I see funny stuff. And I save peoples asses too.. what's your super power?
They just said, Oh and walked away.........:words:

:golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

My great grandfather in law swore blind he could remember crawling around as a baby. He was well into his 90s when he made this claim.

I don't remember stuff from when I was a baby crawling around but I do remember a few things from when I was a wee big-rear end toddler. One of the things I remember about being a toddler is, even then, not remembering anything from when I was a baby crawling around. (The reason I remember not remembering is because I remember my older siblings telling me stuff about what I did as a baby and I had no way of knowing if it was true or not.)

Then again, who knows :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Nov 19, 2018

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't remember stuff from when I was a baby crawling around but I do remember a few things from when I was a wee toddler. One of the things I remember about being a toddler is, even then, not remembering anything from when I was a baby crawling around. (The reason I remember not remembering is because I remember my older siblings telling me stuff about what I did as a baby and I had no way of knowing if it was true or not.)

Then again, who knows :shrug:

A lot of our childhood 'memories' are just reconstructions of dubious accuracy based on what other people have told us happened. Its laughably easy to plant fake memories that people will swear up and down are real and can produce tons of (unknowingly made up) details about. One of my favorite studies photoshopped kids in hot air balloons and showed them to people. They would recount these long, detailed 'memories' about the balloon ride, with all the sights and smells and emotions and quotes....and then the experimenter revealed that they had interviewed several family members and no, the subject had never been on a hot air balloon in their life.

There's another study that showed a 30-s popcorn commercial could convince you that you had eaten a type of popcorn that had never existed. You'd 'remember' the taste and color and smell, but it never happened.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dienes posted:

A lot of our childhood 'memories' are just reconstructions of dubious accuracy based on what other people have told us happened. Its laughably easy to plant fake memories that people will swear up and down are real and can produce tons of (unknowingly made up) details about. One of my favorite studies photoshopped kids in hot air balloons and showed them to people. They would recount these long, detailed 'memories' about the balloon ride, with all the sights and smells and emotions and quotes....and then the experimenter revealed that they had interviewed several family members and no, the subject had never been on a hot air balloon in their life.

There's another study that showed a 30-s popcorn commercial could convince you that you had eaten a type of popcorn that had never existed. You'd 'remember' the taste and color and smell, but it never happened.

I saw a helicopter once as a kid. Or at least a landing pad where a helicopter had been earlier that day. And when I was around 8 I ate an olive.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
true story

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It has been said before, but the worst thing about those types of stdh's is the inclusion of the comments. It's like they don't trust the reader to have their own natural reaction, so they just tell you how to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have flashes of stuff from being very young, like when I saw a picture of an old baby swing I had when I was maybe like 1, and suddenly remembered the clinking of the metal joints.