Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The shot of Gridman falling and the bike rattling in the foreground is reused footage from the Gridman short Trigger made before.

-e-
@20s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETpejXR_Bm8&t=20s

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, there's more to it than that, because she still dresses herself perfectly and looks totally normal at school. Her public "face" is immaculate and she's even regarded as a princess. She's clearly capable of doing stuff like that still.

It basically seems like she's lost the ability to do emotional labor. She knows how to act happy and "normal" in front of other people but she can't deal with them on any other level, so her only reaction to absolutely any problem is to keep smiling and kill the offender later.

Presumably the trash is there because she can't figure out how to deal with it, but as long as nobody can see it she doesn't care.

Yeeeeeeeahh, that's the sort of thing I was fumbling towards.

I really like how Akane's coming together after being really nervous about her early in the season, super hope this thing sticks the landing with her.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, there's more to it than that, because she still dresses herself perfectly and looks totally normal at school. Her public "face" is immaculate and she's even regarded as a princess. She's clearly capable of doing stuff like that still.

It basically seems like she's lost the ability to do emotional labor. She knows how to act happy and "normal" in front of other people but she can't deal with them on any other level, so her only reaction to absolutely any problem is to keep smiling and kill the offender later.

Presumably the trash is there because she can't figure out how to deal with it, but as long as nobody can see it she doesn't care.

In fact, thinking back on the volleyball-on-special-dog followed by super uncomfortable pause scene, it's kind of neat that Akane's left at a complete loss until one of her friends reacts, at which point she mimics her friend's reaction exactly. Put in context with everything that actually adds another level of creepy to that scene.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
The hotdogs keep being important. With Rikka offering hers to Anti as a mirror to episode 1's food-giving scene. (It also amuses me that Anti basically has 2 priorities. Food, and GRIDMANNNN!!! I kinda hope he hooks up with the homeless Kaiju. Maybe learn better dumpster-diving techniques.)

And Akane picking volleyball-girl's restaurant for her diner with can't have been a narrative coincidence. It further drives things home when she literally comes out and says; "Yeah, I retroactively erased her because she smooshed my/your lunch." This comes right after a scene where she casually steps on Anti's lunch. Speaking of which, it's a running theme that she treats him as poo poo or at best with indifference no matter what he does. For now the programming is still holding, but I'm seeing flag after flag popping up foreshadowing an eventual going rogue.

And finally, I absolutely loved how without even really changing his mannerisms, they've managed to turn Alexis from 'that goofball in Akane's computer who is bad because he enables her worst tendencies', into an actual overwhelming menace. Just by making him able to appear in a physical form at will and show that he can do things on his own. (As well as being quick to shift the blame when he's found out.) That full-on murderous grin after he took out Anti's eyes gave me the shivers. Pretty great considering his mask is inanimate save for some lights.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Been looking at the official episode previews every Monday, this week's extra clear that things aren't going to go as easily as the synopsis questions from the pictures.
https://gridman.net/story/#/08

quote:

ツツジ台高校では数年ぶりに学園祭が催されることになり、各所で準備が進められていた。アレクシスに利用されていると考えた裕太たちはアカネに対して説得を試みる。
Something like Azalea High school is hosting its cultural festival for the first time in several years, and preparations are going well thus far. Yuta believes that Alexis is manipulating Akane, so he tries to convince her to change.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

In fact, thinking back on the volleyball-on-special-dog followed by super uncomfortable pause scene, it's kind of neat that Akane's left at a complete loss until one of her friends reacts, at which point she mimics her friend's reaction exactly. Put in context with everything that actually adds another level of creepy to that scene.

Akane's really uncomfortable to watch in motion when she's interacting with other people, and it's pretty great. Her little pauses, the way she speaks, and her expressions are all things that would easily pass notice for anyone who only knows her princess persona, but the viewer has insight into her and you know that every time a situation begins to go in a way she doesn't want there's a combination of record scratches and angry screeching going through her head as she tries to process how best to reconcile what she wants to happen with her utter disgust and distaste at the situation.

Her conversation with Utsumi is a good example, since she goes from happily and animatedly chatting about kaiju with him to him making an off-handed comment about how he likes the heroes too and you can basically feel the conversational temperature drop to somewhere below freezing as she switches from "happy conversation" to "tell me what i want to know so i can get the gently caress away from you because now i don't like you at all" like a car suddenly downshifting on the highway.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Too bad I'm poor.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The placement of the Phat logo in the last one has to be intentional

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Confirmation that Rikka is an NPC, albeit an important one because she was made to be Akane's best friend. It also makes sense that Akane is so casual about everything when she's certain it's literally impossible for any of them to seriously consider hurting her.

I'm really glad the story went this direction because it's super interesting and I don't think I've seen anything quite like it. How do they get through to Akane when she doesn't think of any of them as people? From their perspective, she's essentially a psychopath.

And yeah it's probably going to come down to Rikka doing something Akane thinks is impossible, but I can't wait to see what.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 24, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rikka's an NPC? drat. Although I think she's breaking out of the programming anyway. Interested to see how this plays out.

God bless Admiral Rikka.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
the misadventures of anti is honestly one of my favorite parts of this show, what a good dumb boy

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Utsumi you poo poo. Also hell yeah turning gold for the final move in the Brave tradition.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

TheFireMagi posted:

the misadventures of anti is honestly one of my favorite parts of this show, what a good dumb boy

Borr: You come to the wrong neighbourhood kaiju.

*whips out a ridonkulously huge blade from his sleeve like a flicknife.*

Odds of that knife being some sort of obscure transformers reference?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Borr: You come to the wrong neighbourhood kaiju.

*whips out a ridonkulously huge blade from his sleeve like a flicknife.*

Odds of that knife being some sort of obscure transformers reference?

the human forms of the Assist Weapons are the Age of Extinction Dinobots, thus the black suits (the movie versions) paired with the brightly colored weapons (the toy versions)

Max is Grimlock, Calibur is Slug, Borr is Scorn, and Vitt is Strafe

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 24, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So they are going with the Mecha versions of the Kaiju for the rest of the series like the original or is it just a nod?

Utsumi and Rikka squabbling:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whew this episode was a lot. Rikka and Akane's dynamic has gotten really fascinating. Just hope the show has a more clever endgame in mind than Rikka just learning to tell Akane to go gently caress herself. That needs to be part of it, of course, but if that's where it ends that feels too simple. Pretty confident that the show has better things in store, tho.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 24, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whew this episode was a lot. Rikka and Akane's dynamic has gotten really fascinating. Just hope the show has a more clever endgame in mind than Rikka just learning to tell Akane to go gently caress herself. That needs to be part of it, of course, but if that's where it ends that feels too simple. Pretty confident that the show has better things in store, tho.

Again, pretty sure this is a therapy sim that Alex hijacked. Telling Akane to gently caress off is not what it's for, because it's meant to help her with whatever crippling psychological problems caused her to retreat into cyberland.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, pretty sure this is a therapy sim that Alex hijacked. Telling Akane to gently caress off is not what it's for, because it's meant to help her with whatever crippling psychological problems caused her to retreat into cyberland.

Yeah...which, again, raises the question: Who the gently caress is Alex and where did he come from? What is his whole deal?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/honey_burst/status/1066387768190820353

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hah, when Rikka got off the bus I misread the text as 'press this if you want to exist'.

Part of me still suspects Akanes bullshitting about Rikka. Their relationship is gonna be the key to the whole thing but its still so murky what the deal exactly is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah...which, again, raises the question: Who the gently caress is Alex and where did he come from? What is his whole deal?

I think that while we don't know what Alex is, we have a general idea of what he wants. He's using Akane as a weapons designer, either for genuine, real-world kaiju or for cyberwarfare tools that she conceptualises as kaiju, which is why he needs her as antisocial and destructive as possible.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Yeesh, that's some abuse_metaphor.txt. I suspect Akane has given up on school now, and the teams will be at open war for the rest of the series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

Yeesh, that's some abuse_metaphor.txt. I suspect Akane has given up on school now, and the teams will be at open war for the rest of the series.

It's a bit more complicated than your standard abuse metaphor, though, because this is literally Akane's fantasy world. This whole show is taking place inside her head. What she's saying isn't just about Rikka, it's about the world she felt the need to create for herself. Makes you wonder if the NPCs self-actualising and developing their own lives without her is just a manifestation of her apocalyptic self-loathing. How much of Rikka is Akane?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a bit more complicated than your standard abuse metaphor, though, because this is literally Akane's fantasy world. This whole show is taking place inside her head. What she's saying isn't just about Rikka, it's about the world she felt the need to create for herself. Makes you wonder if the NPCs self-actualising and developing their own lives without her is just a manifestation of her apocalyptic self-loathing. How much of Rikka is Akane?

Also have to wonder how much of Data!Rikka is based on a real Rikka or something like that.

Also if everyone in town is created to adore Akane, why did Utsumi have such an easy time going "yeah gently caress her actually, let's kick her rear end?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also have to wonder how much of Data!Rikka is based on a real Rikka or something like that.

Also if everyone in town is created to adore Akane, why did Utsumi have such an easy time going "yeah gently caress her actually, let's kick her rear end?"

Rikka pointed it out - he was compartmentalising by treating it as one of his beloved toku shows in order not to think about what the creator of the kaiju's identity actually meant. loving up yet another kaiju doesn't actually do anything about the overarching problem.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Rikka pointed it out - he was compartmentalising by treating it as one of his beloved toku shows in order not to think about what the creator of the kaiju's identity actually meant. loving up yet another kaiju doesn't actually do anything about the overarching problem.

Ah, yeah. He was specifically focused on beating the kaiju, not Akane herself.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm really glad I didn't sleep on this show. It gets more intriguing as it continues to unravel and the new dynamic is interesting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Thank you, I wondered the question as well and you managed to give it a perfect answer. Of course, if everyone is completely programmed to love Akane and can't go against it, it only adds to the question of who or what is Yuta? Gridman and Max and the gang are most likely not from Akane's world (since this seems to happen in the same universe as the original Gridman and Max nearly name-dropped the previous cast), but we know a Yuta Hibiki existed even before the series began. Did he break free from Akane's programming by losing his memory? Or is this not the Yuta that Akane originally created?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 25, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm willing to admit I was wrong about the outro being particularly relevant to the story.

It most certainly is, in what might turn out to be the most toxic, creepy, and unhealthy way possible.

Looks like the Rikka snub theory (originally axed by bus stop interactions) is back in play.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And what was Yuta and Rikka doing just as the show started? Or were they even doing anything and was the whole situation just created whole cloth when-- I dunno, Gridman arrived, maybe?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranzear posted:

I'm willing to admit I was wrong about the outro being particularly relevant to the story.

It most certainly is, in what might turn out to be the most toxic, creepy, and unhealthy way possible.

Looks like the Rikka snub theory (originally axed by bus stop interactions) is back in play.

The ED might be IRL Rikka and Akane chumming it out, and then Rikka missing/wondering where Akane went to as Akane went into what is probably VR therapy of some sort.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

The ED might be IRL Rikka and Akane chumming it out, and then Rikka missing/wondering where Akane went to as Akane went into what is probably VR therapy of some sort.

You don't take steps toward a virtual version of someone not being able to hate you if the real version didn't have reason to.

Oh, the outro is absent from this episode, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ranzear posted:

You don't take steps toward a virtual version of someone not being able to hate you if the real version didn't have reason to.

I mean, you do if you're mentally ill/a teenager and misinterpret someone, say, failing to respond to your advances as them hating you.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Oh, the outro is absent from this episode, too.

Might just be a default "everyone's gotta love me" setting. Who knows :v:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, you do if you're mentally ill/a teenager and misinterpret someone, say, failing to respond to your advances as them hating you.

Or Rikka is just straight.

Asking these two if they'd seen Akane was a nice touch though. The director seems very intentional on that front.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm ok with this.

(Anyone able to find the parent tweet?)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Found a companion image at least:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No-one bothered with lady!Shou :(

Voice drama 8.8 Angelina Jolie confirmed canon.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Now you can't unsee it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Now you can't unsee it either.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm ok with this.