Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gorman Thomas posted:

1. Weed
2. Old Rasputin
3. Chicken Wings
4. Southland Tales (blind watch)
5. Bling Ring

Happy Saturday night y'all

Old Rasputin is so goddamn good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Burn After Reading is pretty far down in my Coen Bros rankings based on initial impressions, but it has some amazing moments.

“I’m not here representing Hardbodies”

It’s the most politically relevant Coen Bros. movie, because idiots are in charge and they think conspiracy is everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Don’t get me wrong, Burn After Reading is very good, I just don’t like it as much as, say, Fargo or Lebowski.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Don’t get me wrong, Burn After Reading is very good, I just don’t like it as much as, say, Fargo or Lebowski.

They are the kinda directors where even their weakest movies (Intolerable Cruelty And The Ladykillers) rank pretty high among other movies, they’re just great filmmakers in general.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s the most politically relevant Coen Bros. movie, because idiots are in charge and they think conspiracy is everywhere.

I've always wanted a movie about the true story of a Soviet spy who worked for British intelligence for like twenty years and was only found out because he drunkenly drove into a tree and his trunk was full of secret documents.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

They are the kinda directors where even their weakest movies (Intolerable Cruelty And The Ladykillers) rank pretty high among other movies, they’re just great filmmakers in general.

Ladykillers isn't bad for a Coen Brothers movie, it's just bad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone can be a spy. loving scientologists infiltrated the FBI for years and they didn't discover it until a night cleaner figured it out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
During the Korean War, the CIA took North Korean refugees and dropped them behind enemy lines with little to no support, and so many got caught it basically lead to thousands being tortured, executed, or forced to pass along bad intelligence to the CIA before being tortured and executed.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Don’t forget the assassination attempt a few years ago when the CIA tried to get a trashy talk show host to poison Kim Jong Un. They were not happy about that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I made a Western thread. Will do a recommendation dump for the 2nd OP when I have some time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Don’t forget the assassination attempt a few years ago when the CIA tried to get a trashy talk show host to poison Kim Jong Un. They were not happy about that.

The CIA has always been so full of stupid ideas. Read Legacy of Ashes for a good look at just how hosed the CIA is and how they’ve basically never been held accountable for any of their numerous fuckups that have gotten tens of thousands of people killed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

During the Korean War, the CIA took North Korean refugees and dropped them behind enemy lines with little to no support, and so many got caught it basically lead to thousands being tortured, executed, or forced to pass along bad intelligence to the CIA before being tortured and executed.

PRC and USSR intelligence have/had an incredible hit rate on CIA agents and assets, which finally led them to have the obvious brainstorm that it makes much more sense to just back rebel groups and so on.

Samuel Clemens posted:

It is a great list, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed whenever I see a top 100 featuring only familiar names. The Japanese spotlight pretty much always rests on Kurosawa, Mizeoguchi, and Ozu, but never Kobayashi or members of the New Wave, and Swedish cinema always seems to begin and end with Bergman. I don't want to knock it too much, because an aggregate list obviously tends to gravitate towards widely respected options and none of the selected films are undeserving of inclusion, it'd just be nice to see more oddball choices that go beyond the established canon is all.

It's the standard list and as such really boring. It's just homework, like yes, you probably ought to watch Floating Weeds. One I never ever get being on there, of all the Italian films there have ever been, is why the gently caress Cinema Paradiso always ends up on these lists. It straight up sucks rear end, treacly, maudling crap.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Fuckin' CIA, those cunts toppled Gough Whitlam, the best Prime Minister Australia ever had

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the standard list and as such really boring. It's just homework, like yes, you probably ought to watch Floating Weeds. One I never ever get being on there, of all the Italian films there have ever been, is why the gently caress Cinema Paradiso always ends up on these lists. It straight up sucks rear end, treacly, maudling crap.

It's either that or some Benigni poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There are like two dozen Italian movies I could just rattle off from the top of my head better than that, and they're not remotely obscure. What's wrong with these people.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think it's interesting that Leone gets left out of these lists completely.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

One I never ever get being on there, of all the Italian films there have ever been, is why the gently caress Cinema Paradiso always ends up on these lists. It straight up sucks rear end, treacly, maudling crap.

I absolutely agree with this. How the gently caress is it above Beehive and F&A and All About My Mother and basically everything else there

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The CIA has always been so full of stupid ideas. Read Legacy of Ashes for a good look at just how hosed the CIA is and how they’ve basically never been held accountable for any of their numerous fuckups that have gotten tens of thousands of people killed.

The wildest part is how history books years from now will have to explain Seth Rogen and James Franco to teenagers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How is it even on the list when there are zero Pasolini films on the list.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

The wildest part is how history books years from now will have to explain Seth Rogen and James Franco to teenagers.

That's not even close to the wildest poo poo the CIA does and did

Phoenix Program for starters

"rape, gang rape, rape using eels, snakes, or hard objects, and rape followed by murder; electric shock ('the Bell Telephone Hour') rendered by attaching wires to the genitals or other sensitive parts of the body, like the tongue; the 'water treatment'; the 'airplane' in which the prisoner's arms were tied behind the back, and the rope looped over a hook on the ceiling, suspending the prisoner in midair, after which he or she was beaten; beatings with rubber hoses and whips; the use of police dogs to maul prisoners."

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Okay, now this pisses me off

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The issue with that list is that it's aggregated from a number of critics, so the films that get on are the most widely admired. The individual lists would, I am sure, make much more interesting reading.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be fair, Pasolini probably has the problem that there isn't a single film everyone can coalesce around, so votes are split between multiple entries. Whereas pretty much everyone agrees that Cinema Paradiso is Tornatore's best film (for better or worse). Which is why I think a 100 best directors list would probably be more interesting to see.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PRC and USSR intelligence have/had an incredible hit rate on CIA agents and assets, which finally led them to have the obvious brainstorm that it makes much more sense to just back rebel groups and so on.

The really funny/horrifying thing is how long it took for the CIA to catch on whenever they were being played, it took thousands of dead people for the CIA to realize something was up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I would honestly rather get bitten by a dog than watch that video.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The really funny/horrifying thing is how long it took for the CIA to catch on whenever they were being played, it took thousands of dead people for the CIA to realize something was up.

Yeah, you get the impression that they really didn't give a poo poo and loved having the official mission statement of "intelligence gathering" to fall back on whenever one of their cockamamie schemes got a ton of people killed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yeah, you get the impression that they really didn't give a poo poo and loved having the official mission statement of "intelligence gathering" to fall back on whenever one of their cockamamie schemes got a ton of people killed.

"Let's give LSD to random people to see if it makes them psychic" is one of their cuter plans.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I’m guessing the people calling the shots thought that maybe they’d get some intelligence from these missions, and that was worth the lives of however many Koreans they airdropped behind enemy lines, because the boots on the ground are always expendable, while top brass is safe and cozy at home base.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Power of Pecota posted:

It's important to understand how the media platforms we use affect our politics.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Finally caught buster Scruggs this weekend. Loved it, even in it's bleakness. I feel the titular short could've gone last and it would've been even better. Tom Waitts section was the highlight. Though it was super whiplash with how white it was since we had just watched blazing saddles a moment before.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m guessing the people calling the shots thought that maybe they’d get some intelligence from these missions, and that was worth the lives of however many Koreans they airdropped behind enemy lines, because the boots on the ground are always expendable, while top brass is safe and cozy at home base.

No

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Power of Pecota posted:

Three Arrows is a leftist youtuber and is good

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best songs about the CIA, go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aent-o3n5-Y

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjd0hgwqJVs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Best songs about the CIA, go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW9cCWm53H4

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Considering this CIA derail was inspired by someone watching Burn After Reading, this answer’s almost cheating, but it’s a great song.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Considering this CIA derail was inspired by someone watching Burn After Reading, this answer’s almost cheating, but it’s a great song.

I dunno which company makes their trailers, but Coen Bros. trailers/teasers always have kick-rear end music. Burn After Reading's promos also used "Grounds For Divorce" by Elbow (which was more thematically relevant than at first glance) and "I Got A Line On You" by Spirit, both of which became huge jams for me in '08/'09

edit: Around the same time Observe & Report's trailers were using "The Man" by Patto, which was loving crazy cool, and was only surpassed by the actual film using "(When I Paint) My Masterpiece" by The Band for the opening credits, which was just inspired. Still one of the best opening credit song choices used in the past 10+ years.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

That sort of list is something I would've cared about when I was like 18 and needing a guide to explore world cinema, but now I know who's who and am more interested in who & what should be revived or at least talked up more.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

I dunno which company makes their trailers, but Coen Bros. trailers/teasers always have kick-rear end music. Burn After Reading's promos also used "Grounds For Divorce" by Elbow (which was more thematically relevant than at first glance) and "I Got A Line On You" by Spirit, both of which became huge jams for me in '08/'09

That A Serious Man trailer set to the dream sequence bit where the main character gets his head smashed into the chalkboard was incredible.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Electronico6 posted:

I think it's interesting that Leone gets left out of these lists completely.

They're not really foreign-language films. This list said "primarily in a language other than English" and while the English and Italian versions of Leones movies are both kind of the original and both partially dubbed, the main characters are mostly Americans and the movies can't really be said to be primarily in Italian.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Kinda basic and ain't gonna be as good as other suggestions but hell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjotfd4_3TE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That A Serious Man trailer set to the dream sequence bit where the main character gets his head smashed into the chalkboard was incredible.

Yeah, I'd easily believe that the Coens have enough clout and interest to be involved in making the promos for their films. They're always perfect while never revealing too much, and the music choices are too good.

The only filmmaker I know of, though, that was openly involved in that, is James Gunn with his two Guardian flicks. Dude was involved in a lot of those decisions, especially with picking "Fox on the Run" for the sequel's trailer.