Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any idea when that Murkmire Ziggurat House will become available?

Also, what's a good website to follow for ESO news/info? Like, is there an ESO equivalent to Warcraft's MMO-Champion or WoWHead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Annath posted:

Also, what's a good website to follow for ESO news/info? Like, is there an ESO equivalent to Warcraft's MMO-Champion or WoWHead?

I have no idea what those are. Alcasthq.com is good for build info, benevolentbowd.ca us good for event dates and weekly info. Elderscrolls.com has their own news.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Annath posted:

They usually announce their plans to release the big houses in advance. I'm guessing it will come in December.

Dulfy's covering ESO now.

Reposting for anyone that missed it:

The free ESO Plus thingy is running from the 15th-21th, and that means all accounts get access all the DLC zones. All DLC zones except the Imperial City have a freebie item you unlock for your account just by visiting the DLC in question. Here's a list of everything nice you can get while the promotion's going:

DLC freebies posted:

Assassin (personality): Visit Anvil in the Gold Coast
Bull Horns (emote): Visit Falkreath Hold or Bloodroot Forge dungeons
Echalette (pet): Visit Orsinium in Wrothgar
Heroic (personality): Visit Ruins of Mazzatun or Cradle of Shadows dungeons
Jackal (pet): Visit Abah's Landing in Hew's Bane
Renegade Dragon Priest Mask (hat): Visit Scalecaller Peak or Fang Lair dungeons
Scintillant Dovah-Fly (pet): Visit the Brass Fortress in the Clockwork City
Verdigris Haj Mota (pet): Visit Murkmire
Werewolf Hunter Hat: Visit Moon Hunter Keep or the March of Sacrifices dungeons

"Personalities" alter your character's animations, especially their idle animations. Pets and mounts double as furniture you can place in houses, so those pets have extra uses.

Also, don't forget that you can freely dye your costumes and costume hats with ESO plus up!

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 19, 2018

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Hey could someone shoot an invite to @frestdjm and @uberjess for the guild? Please and thank you

e: NA

frest fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 19, 2018

rainer516
Jan 22, 2005

American Hero
Just got the game a couple of days ago, digging it so far. Can someone please shoot me an invite to the EU guild?
@Rainer516

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Someone give me invite powers for the EU guild so I can invite that dude.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I can't tell if Vvardenfell quests don't give as much experience as the base Ebonheart Pact ones for comparable time spent, or if I'm just screwing around stealing too much and picking everything up while I've got + active, but it really seems like I'm leveling much, much slower through the Morrowind content with a fresh character than I did in the base game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Another newbie question: how do people get these giant amounts of gold I see things being sold for? Loot and crafting stuff are basically worthless and quests do give some gold but like, at 200 per quest how are people buying stuff that costs 100,000. Is that just for people farming 16 hours a day?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

I can't tell if Vvardenfell quests don't give as much experience as the base Ebonheart Pact ones for comparable time spent, or if I'm just screwing around stealing too much and picking everything up while I've got + active, but it really seems like I'm leveling much, much slower through the Morrowind content with a fresh character than I did in the base game.
There's a comical disconnect between questing and doing literally anything else. 2 levels in ~15 minutes doing a dungeon or battleground, vs MAYBE a level an hour questing in Morrowind.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Another newbie question: how do people get these giant amounts of gold I see things being sold for? Loot and crafting stuff are basically worthless and quests do give some gold but like, at 200 per quest how are people buying stuff that costs 100,000. Is that just for people farming 16 hours a day?

Some world drop sets can sell for good money - Necropotence, Spriggan's, Mother's Sorrow and so on.
The daily crafting writs at max crafting rank adds up to a lot of money over time - do them on several characters for even more money.
And of course - AH flipping is probably the most profitable as with most mmos.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Join a trading guild, get Master Merchant or the other addon (forgot the name), keep your 30 listings full. Guild trader location matters a fair bit, so try to find one that has theirs located in a popular spot—for EU, this would be Rawl'kha in Reaper's March, Belkarth in Craglorn, Vivec City in Vvardenfell, maybe Alinor in Summerset as well, but it's been a while.

Another, grindier way to supplment it is to steal poo poo on the ships in Daggerfall, which will also net you recipes and blueprints that can be sold for a good bit of gold. LazyThief helps a lot with this, you can configure it to only pick up greens and above, and with the requisite Legerdemain skills fully levelled this nets a minimum of 15,400g per day (greens are worth 100g each, you can fence a maximum of 140 items and get 10% on top, but you always find a few blues, so it's more like 20,000g).

Crafting dailies also net some gold and sometimes the rewards include surveys or master writs if you've maxed the skill. These can net a good bit of gold as well.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Those ESO+ unlockables from visiting certain zones, are they account wide?

Lima posted:

Some world drop sets can sell for good money - Necropotence, Spriggan's, Mother's Sorrow and so on.
And of course - AH flipping is probably the most profitable as with most mmos.

This explains how 1 individual can get money but now how from a macro economy point of view how "a player" can make those large sums of gold. If you sell an item on the trader for 100000 gold then someone else have had to generate that amount through a source that is not the trader.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Ineptitude posted:

This explains how 1 individual can get money but now how from a macro economy point of view how "a player" can make those large sums of gold. If you sell an item on the trader for 100000 gold then someone else have had to generate that amount through a source that is not the trader.

Crafting materials are a loving racket and have led to wild inflation as the producers of such became mega-wealthy.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I make most of my money via selling crafting materials with trade guilds. I do writs on several characters and have maxed-out hirelings on all of them, so I rake in a lot of materials every day I play.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
So I'm about to make my first character after buying the base game. I was thinking of a dark elf nightblade. I'm kind of confused about this whole magicka vs. stamina damage and how that comes into gameplay stand point. Does it really matter all that much or is it hard to really hamstring yourself as far as solo efficacy? (I probably won't get deep into end game, just solo and some dungeons.)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Mementos, personalities, costumes, mounts and other such collectibles are indeed unlocked account-wide and you get to keep them even after ESO+ runs out.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

DankRhymer posted:

So I'm about to make my first character after buying the base game. I was thinking of a dark elf nightblade. I'm kind of confused about this whole magicka vs. stamina damage and how that comes into gameplay stand point. Does it really matter all that much or is it hard to really hamstring yourself as far as solo efficacy? (I probably won't get deep into end game, just solo and some dungeons.)

Generally speaking, stamina = melee and magicka = ranged. You want to put all the points you get from leveling up into either stamina or magicka depending on which you want to play, since damage scales based on your stamina or magicka pool.

As far as nightblades go, ranged tends to be easier since you have access to shields and are ranged, while melee tend to do more damage and will melt things a little faster. I don't think it's a massive damage difference until endgame, but it's there. It's also easy and cheap to respec in this game, so don't worry about being permanently committed to either stamblade or magblade, if you don't like it it costs 200g per skill to change it (I think, I know at max level it's only 2-3k to respec entirely)

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 20, 2018

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

DankRhymer posted:

Stamina gives you more weapon options, two handed, dual wield, bows and sword and shield. But class skills are mainly magic based so you have fewer options there. You’ll also generally wear medium armor.

Magicka builds have more class skill options but you are stuck using staffs, or if you are feeling really dangerous, staffs (my kingdom for conjured melee weapons). And magicka builds generally wear light armor.

You can get by with either one just know that you are going to have to commit to one or the other as hybrid builds aren’t as effective. It’s more a play style thing, if you like being in melee and stabbing things in the face stamina is the better option, if you like shooting lightning or fireballs at a distance then magicka is what you want to be.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone that has ridiculous amounts of gold has probably been playing since release. Daily writs and stealing treasures can make a decent amount of money without trying to game the market or hoping you get valuable drops.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you want to make serious money just look up JHartEllis on Twitch, he runs one of the most successful trade guilds on PC NA and always does a gold-making tips and tricks stream on Mondays, usually with giveaways.

(Theres like 4 of us in his trade guild)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

radintorov posted:

Mementos, personalities, costumes, mounts and other such collectibles are indeed unlocked account-wide and you get to keep them even after ESO+ runs out.

Cool, cool. Im gonna quickly queue up for the remaining dungeons with my main then to get the unlock.

When my alt hit level 20 i got the choice between 2 costume unlocks which i did not get on my first character. One was a suit of steel armor, the other a more "rogue'y" armor. Not really sure why i got this on my second character. I guess i need to level a third character to level 20 to get the other costume. Another oddity is that i distinctly remember picking the rogue like armor but i got the steel one...

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
To get the personality or the hats, you don't need to queue for the dungeon. You just to need to walk in by yourself, and leave again straight away.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Alright, well I'll probably fail at this first character creation thing but I'd love an invite to the US guild. (@Coat0023)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I honestly want to say, if you really don't know what class you want your first character to be, be a Templar. They're great at pretty much anything you might want to do, and are the most straightforward to use by far, I think.

You definitely have other offensive options if you get bored with jabs, but if you don't, a spammable that is good against single or multiple targets, hits multiple times, auto-aims, and even heals you with the magicka morph, is the closest thing to an idiot-proof skill that exists in this game. Plus javelin is a really useful PVP skill if you go that route, and it's hilarious.

I wasn't too keen on Templar at first because I saw them as the healer class, and I've never been a big fan of playing healers, but it might end up surpassing Dragonknight as my favorite. Got my stamplar to level 50 and almost immediately started playing a new magplar, because the class is just that fun.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

I honestly want to say, if you really don't know what class you want your first character to be, be a Templar. They're great at pretty much anything you might want to do, and are the most straightforward to use by far, I think.

You definitely have other offensive options if you get bored with jabs, but if you don't, a spammable that is good against single or multiple targets, hits multiple times, auto-aims, and even heals you with the magicka morph, is the closest thing to an idiot-proof skill that exists in this game. Plus javelin is a really useful PVP skill if you go that route, and it's hilarious.

I wasn't too keen on Templar at first because I saw them as the healer class, and I've never been a big fan of playing healers, but it might end up surpassing Dragonknight as my favorite. Got my stamplar to level 50 and almost immediately started playing a new magplar, because the class is just that fun.

The only error in this post is the insinuation that Templar is more fun than DK, because that's clearly wrong. It is vastly more adaptable and flexible, though, and very fun to play (and probably stronger overall).

Solid first class for sure, +1 to this suggestion.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Unlike the Dragonknight, the Templar is not part Dragon and this interferes with my ability to roleplay as my Sonic OC

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Summerset is ~$11 at places like DLGamer, GMG and such according to ITAD, for anyone interested.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I forgot to mention my favorite thing about Templar, which is that it has Actually Good skills that grant Major Prophecy and Major Savagery. So you're not necessarily stuck with giving up a skill bar slot to the passively useful but joyless Magelight or Expert Hunter.

Yes, Dragonknight has Inferno, and Warden has Lotus Flower, but I don't like either of those as much as Biting Jabs / Sun Fire.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 21, 2018

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Love to use Dragonknight's signature ability "press this button to make your real skills 25% better for 30 seconds," a signature achievement in the MMO field. A buff, that you have to hit every 30 seconds... forever??

thanks I hate it

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I think a lot of classes have something similar.

I know on my stamsorc I've got 3 skills that have to get pressed every 15 or 30 seconds otherwise I lose a fair amount of dps.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

When my alt hit level 20 i got the choice between 2 costume unlocks which i did not get on my first character. One was a suit of steel armor, the other a more "rogue'y" armor. Not really sure why i got this on my second character. I guess i need to level a third character to level 20 to get the other costume. Another oddity is that i distinctly remember picking the rogue like armor but i got the steel one...

There are three costume choices, the first being a mage's guild outfit. I'm guessing your first level 20 guy picked that one. Look in your collections and it should be there.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lotta people here wanting mindless button mashing methinks :thunk:

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Scyantific posted:

Lotta people here wanting mindless button mashing methinks :thunk:

I think you'll find that only TrueSkill-Elite Gamers can maintain such essential buffs with 100% uptime.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

frest posted:

Love to use Dragonknight's signature ability "press this button to make your real skills 25% better for 30 seconds," a signature achievement in the MMO field. A buff, that you have to hit every 30 seconds... forever??

thanks I hate it

I'm gradually replacing these with set bonuses so I can slot actual fun skills, and initial results are highly positive!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
“Refreshing buffs” is one of the worst parts of ESO combat, and yeah, most classes have them. Warden is practically built out of them, but manages to be fun regardless.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If only there was a consumable that did the same exact thing as the major brutality/sorcery and major savagery/prophecy buffs that could be used on cooldown thus guaranteeing 100% uptime...

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Not everyone is rich, alas. Bring on the communist utopia.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

frest posted:

thanks I hate it

For 99 percent of the playerbase, who don't bother to venture into vet level srs bidniss PVP, DLC Dungeons, Trials, or Arenas, your buff uptimes are irrelevant as you can complete all base and dlc quest content completely with the armor and weapon given to you by rolling a new toon.

If you are actually wanting to progress at getting into more difficult content and being a better player, then you'll have to deal with it.

Or play virtual Polly Pocket.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I agree that you could probably never skill a thing besides Flame Lash, just bind that poo poo to some pedals and Flintstones your way through the game.

But alas, I'm a lovely nerd who loves to optimize and min/max even when in some cases it is actively detrimental to my enjoyment of a product!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Don't worry frest, play long enough and it will become so familiar that it won't bother you much anymore. You may even go full Stockholm Syndrome if you get really into it.