Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't discount anything at this point. vOv

If you want to say chaos reigns and anything is possible that's one thing but I don't see how a Trump victory (which absolutely wasn't as outlandish as some pundits wanted to pretend) is indictative of a chance of Bloomberg winning the Democratic primary when they are so radically different situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit Oops wrong thread

To replace the wrong tweet

https://twitter.com/UnusualVideos/status/1064391567870324736?s=19

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 19, 2018

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

GreyjoyBastard posted:

por que no los dos
Because not supporting the Mueller investigation has somehow become a progressive purity test for a certain subset here.

I think my gimmick is well known enough that everyone sees where I'm going with this.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 19, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is the weirdest attempt at gaslighting. The tweets being made fun of are right there. They are not "sighs of relief". They're legitimate gushing over an oligarch toadie that 3/4 of his own country hates because he is an oligarch toadie making it easier for fascism to take hold

Okay, one: gently caress you for saying I'm gaslighting anyone. That's a lovely term and you know it.

Two: There's a difference between gushing and saying "we just elected the leader of the free world" because there was and still is a big vacuum of soft power because of Trump throwing a tantrum about America First/Alone, so at the time that wasn't an unrealistic thing to say. Saying he found a centrist path by being economically right and socially left is a stupid take, but hardly gushing. Saying US dems should find a Macron of their own: also not gushing!

People in this thread are so desperate for an own on the centrists they're creating them out of thin air where there isn't any. It's pathetic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CascadeBeta posted:

Okay, one: gently caress you for saying I'm gaslighting anyone. That's a lovely term and you know it.

Two: There's a difference between gushing and saying "we just elected the leader of the free world" because there was and still is a big vacuum of soft power because of Trump throwing a tantrum about America First/Alone, so at the time that wasn't an unrealistic thing to say. Saying he found a centrist path by being economically right and socially left is a stupid take, but hardly gushing. Saying US dems should find a Macron of their own: also not gushing!

People in this thread are so desperate for an own on the centrists they're creating them out of thin air where there isn't any. It's pathetic.

I will make you a centrist and you will be embarrassed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

por que no los dos

i like the projection that the new leftist members must not believe that the conspiracy with russia happened, because i do not believe that, and i am a leftist

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1064307301224497152

:cripes:

He reminds me of my Alzheimer's grandpa so much, it's scary

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wait do supposed liberal/left people actually argue that they should stop investigating Russia/Trump because uhhh

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Koalas Massacre posted:

Wait do supposed liberal/left people actually argue that they should stop investigating Russia/Trump because uhhh

Yeah I think some people are recoiling because of the resist crew, but to "not believe" the Russia conspiracy is pretty funny at this point

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Koalas Massacre posted:

i think the argument is to investigate but not make it the cornerstone of anti trump rhetoric

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

LK, are we allowed to move the civil war chat to this thread? Because I had a sick response to the “Lincoln didn’t believe better things were possible” thing. I would have wrote “Classic Succ :decorum:-blican” and got all :smug:

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 19, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Koalas Massacre posted:

There's a ton of leftists I know that think that the Russia Investigation is a dead end and therefore should be dropped as an issue entirely in favor of more progressive policies. Which, yeah, why not both? They're not mutually exclusive.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Koalas Massacre posted:

Yep. But, there is a lady on Twitter arguing that AOC is playing into Putin's hands by fighting for M4A instead of focusing solely on supporting the Mueller investigation, so maybe the truth is in the middle.

Edit: I am told that the lady is a medium deal on twitter, and not just some random dope.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

yronic heroism posted:

LK, are we allowed to move the civil war chat to this thread because I had a sick response to the “Lincoln didn’t believe better things were possible” thing. I would have wrote “Classic Succ :decorum:-blican” and got all :smug:

I mean... it's technically about US politics?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

UGH how many times are the whining leftists in this forum going to relitigate the emancipation proclamation. we've seen how useful THEY are (thanks john brown, the original antifa)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm faulting you because you're making fun of people who were heaving a sigh of relief that they didn't elect their version of Trump over a year ago. Very different from them doing that today.

they weren't doing that. they were advocating for macron to be the leader of the world. you can look at the tweets yourself and see that

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yes the investigation with a ton of resources, with multiple convictions and active grand juries is dead lol. Unless your take is that anything short of removal from office will somehow help Republicans in the polls, that's a dumb take

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

they weren't doing that. they were advocating for macron to be the leader of the world. you can look at the tweets yourself and see that

One person said that in the context of the vacuum of soft power that was and is the post trump world.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Google Butt posted:

Yes the investigation with a ton of resources, with multiple convictions and active grand juries is dead lol. Unless your take is that anything short of removal

Gonna stop you right there buddy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Yes the investigation with a ton of resources, with multiple convictions and active grand juries is dead lol. Unless your take is that anything short of removal from office will somehow help Republicans in the polls, that's a dumb take

it doesn't matter at all and no one in the Trump administration is worried, which is why they just fired the attorney general for not killing it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

i like the projection that the new leftist members must not believe that the conspiracy with russia happened, because i do not believe that, and i am a leftist

well yeah the lady tweeting against AOC is even dumber than the people going 'better not talk about Russia or investigating the ultra-criminal president, because we're dumb babies who can only maintain one thing in our head at a time'

Koalas Massacre posted:

CascadeBeta posted:

There's a ton of leftists I know that think that the Russia Investigation is a dead end and therefore should be dropped as an issue entirely in favor of more progressive policies. Which, yeah, why not both? They're not mutually exclusive.

I like to think 'a ton' is an overstatement for both of us and it's just a very loud annoying subset

but yes, this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas Massacre posted:

Liberals argue everything is a distraction from Russia and the left is not saying NOT to keep pursuing that, but are saying that will not win elections, you have to have wide appeal progressive policy no matter how corrupt it illegal the Republicans are

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I like to think 'a ton' is an overstatement for both of us and it's just a very loud annoying subset

but yes, this

Yeah, loud in the context of this weird hyper bubble we're all in.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Perhaps Twitter is just really poo poo?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Condiv posted:

Which tweets?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

CascadeBeta posted:

One person said that in the context of the vacuum of soft power that was and is the post trump world.

yeah the other one was just saying that we need a macron of our own. neither was sighing in relief at le pen losing, they were fawning over macron.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Well, leader of the "free world," which is a huge dogwhistle for Western imperialism and blah blah blah *disappears into a hole labeled "store tankies here"*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Munkeymon posted:

Which tweets?

look a few posts back in my post history

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There was that exit poll showing the russia investigation was like 6th on a list of relevant issues for them as voters. I get this sense that Democrats who oppose major changes to the healthcare system or higher education cost reductions or many other marquee changes favor focusing on Russia because, well, what the gently caress else do they have to talk about?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tibalt posted:

Perhaps Twitter is just really poo poo?

there are good parts and elements of twitter

one of them, for example, is engaged progressive politicians using it as a low-cost propaganda tool :3:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Which tweets?

https://twitter.com/fleshandbrand/status/1064328838560141312

first pic

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
To be perfectly honest, I think the Russian investigation is going to get lost in the noise of the Democratic House's investigations if they follow through on that, the entire point of the Russian investigation was that it was the one thing the Republicans allowed to go through because they thought it would be least damaging. Absolutely lol if you think Trump isn't in bed with the Russian mob and probably through them the FSB, but it's less a grand Tom Clancy conspiracy and more like Burn After Reading.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Mueller investigation is good, but it is pretty funny to watch a bunch of liberal protest signs use the hammer and sickle and reference a bunch of Cold War Red Scare stuff when talking about current Russia, and it's a clear indication that for a bunch of people, their sole reason for supporting it is "gently caress Trump."

Which sure, that guy is an rear end in a top hat and he's the President, but it's important because stuff like troll farms, misinformation campaigns, and malicious hacking are increasingly tools that fascists use to seize to power, plus looking into the finances involved is unveiling a lot of fairly open corruption that people in the international real estate market believe they can just get away with, forever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

all the pics are p bad. a USA version of macron would be a real bad idea for the dems. can you imagine a dem president ranting about how he's like god and his party is the host of heaven?
:stonk:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there are good parts and elements of twitter
Look at this loving centrist. Jack 2020 am I right?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eke out posted:

pull up pull up, you're unironically agreeing with donald trump who is mad we give other countries money for food and education

P sure we pay Pakistan to murder and torture for us, champ

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Koalas Massacre posted:

the argument tends to be "it's a political dead end." we should absolutely keep investigating him, because it causes him pain and fear, and that is both cool and good. but it's absolutely a master's tools/master's house situation. like, imagine that the dream situation of a Jen Kirkman pans out. Mueller reveals that Trump and Putin were holding hands at the moment Trump threw the "steal the election for me" lever. what the gently caress do they expect to happen next. to whip out the good old #resistance shibboleth: "will that solve racism?"

focus on the Mueller investigation is willfully refusing to engage with the political moment in favor of fantasizing about a world where The System is going to save you, and that with Trump abolished everything will go back to normal.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Condiv posted:

look a few posts back in my post history

Oh, well that's stilly: everyone knows it Merkle :rolleye:

They weren't advocating making Macron the actual leader of the goddamn world just advocating who should carry a pointless, unofficial honorific right now JFC

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I care about the Russia investigation because I want Russian trolls to stop making GBS threads up all the internet forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Koalas Massacre posted:

No the argument is that we should message to people about things that matter in their lives like jobs and education and healthcare and welfare, and while we should do the investigation we shouldn't bank on that as our vote-getter.