Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DizzyBum posted:

drat, that would have been a great idea if it wasn't impossible. :sigh:

(Thanks)

Does my idea actually work? I was (being a dick and) just trying to point out there might be other ways to do it besides immediately porting your wife's number to the new phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Does my idea actually work? I was (being a dick and) just trying to point out there might be other ways to do it besides immediately porting your wife's number to the new phone.

I have until mid-December to activate the new device anyway, but I wanted to get ahead of everything for once instead of leaving it to the last minute. Your half-joke was actually something I hadn't thought of, so I might end up doing that if Fi Support can't help me out.

e: It arrived at the office today! I turned it on for a bit to make sure everything is working properly and to do a system update. The resolution on this thing is noticeably better; it already feels weird to go back to my 5X after playing with the 3 XL for a half hour.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 14, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

With the newest update for the Fi app (v10) and the newest Connectivity Services (v3), this activates the beta always-on Project Fi VPN.

I've been testing it out for the past few hours and it seems pretty nice. However, I'm on my home network which is generally fast anyway so I won't notice anything until I'm on data (which usually ends up being Sprint...). Though, it says there'll be about 10% more used when compared to just normal data.

Someone on Reddit did some testing with Wireshark and all that and apparently, it's plenty secure which is nice because now I don't need to worry about using banking stuff on public wifi anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can disable that, right? I use noroot firewall to block ads and bullshit and that's way more useful to me than whatever thing they're trying to do.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Javid posted:

You can disable that, right? I use noroot firewall to block ads and bullshit and that's way more useful to me than whatever thing they're trying to do.

You have to enable it in the first place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

With the newest update for the Fi app (v10) and the newest Connectivity Services (v3), this activates the beta always-on Project Fi VPN.

I've been testing it out for the past few hours and it seems pretty nice. However, I'm on my home network which is generally fast anyway so I won't notice anything until I'm on data (which usually ends up being Sprint...). Though, it says there'll be about 10% more used when compared to just normal data.

Someone on Reddit did some testing with Wireshark and all that and apparently, it's plenty secure which is nice because now I don't need to worry about using banking stuff on public wifi anymore.

Where does this setting show up?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I'm confused by Project Fi, is data really expensive in the US?

I'm paying like 12 GBP for 4gb, and 20gbp gets me 20gb on a one month at a time contract.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spuckuk posted:

I'm paying like 12 GBP for 4gb, and 20gbp gets me 20gb on a one month at a time contract.

Any foreigner needs to remember that capitalism runs unchecked in the US, so everything will cost exactly as much as it possibly can.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Spuckuk posted:

4 gb from Verizon for example would be $50 per phone per month, with $15 per additional gb if you go over your cap. Or you can go unlimited, which would be $75 per month but limits your bandwidth so that you can't stream in HD or anything, $85 per month if you want to be able to stream up to 22 gb at full bandwidth, and $95 per month if you want up to 75 gb at full bandwidth.

So yeah, our service sucks rear end here.

But don't worry! All we need to do is allow Verizon to block our access and throttle connectivity to any service that doesn't pay them a ransom and it will UNLEASH THEIR FULL POWER and let them have confidence to invest in the network so that we can get connectivity that doesn't blow chunks. Also the price is going up.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 19, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spuckuk posted:

Fi is more expensive than, say, Cricket but you get far better coverage/speeds. It also has a few things included that are a surcharge on cricket (like tethering).

Cricket, for example, is $55 USD for unlimited data/talk/text but you're using prepaid allotments of ATT towers, so congestion will hit you like a hammer. $55 USD is a little under £43.

It doesn't drop off as fast when you go down the list though - 5 GB on cricket is still $40, or just over £31.

It's important to remember that a) the continental US is a little bigger than continental Europe and b) very little of the mobile data infrastructure is or ever has been properly regulated let alone publicly-owned. So on top of the usual avarice there is a higher cost to building out a competitive infrastructure and no pressure to control prices. Like there's structural reasons for the expense, but there's also a substantial layer of "they're just greedy" there which makes more difference than just the fiber and tower cost. The stick is lovely on both ends.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wait until you discover how much prescriptions cost in the US

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Afaik the only place that has worse cellular plans than the US is Canada, which is drat impressive.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yes, gigabytes are a finite resource and its completely reasonable to measure it in volume and not throughput.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, gigabytes are a finite resource and its completely reasonable to measure it in volume and not throughput.

Don't want to clog up all those tubes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Why not both?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FogHelmut posted:

This is also why residential cable internet plans having data caps is reasonable and good, rather than bugfuck insane.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

It's a way of limiting usage for sure, just a terrible one given how backhaul works.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

It's a way of limiting usage for sure, just a terrible one given how backhaul works.

I don't know how this works in reality, but I imagine there is some kind of goofy graph showing more bandwidth usage at the front end of the billing cycle, and then dropping off near the end - assuming people monitor their usage and cut themselves off. Also I would assume staggered billing cycles across users would hide any issues where the pipes are maxed out at the beginning while leaving tons of headroom towards the end.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

azurite posted:

Afaik the only place that has worse cellular plans than the US is Canada, which is drat impressive.

Australia is pretty bad iirc.

Overall, yikes though Ameri-goons, sounds pretty bad :/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Where does this setting show up?

Scroll down once you get the updates to Connectivity Services and the Project Fi app. Then "Fi Network Tools" will appear on the Account tab under Phone Settings.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

FogHelmut posted:

Please feel free to tell me how dumb you think I am, but I always thought it would make sense for residential ISPs to bill based on utilization like Fi does. This is assuming the rates are low and fair, of course. That way, you get maximum speed when you need it, and you can't peg your connection 100% of the time unless you want to be billed accordingly. I feel like it would deflate ISP arguments against net neutrality, because the heavy use cases like streaming video and P2P would already be paid for.

Right now, ISPs oversell bandwidth, impose arbitrary caps, and try to complain that their services are being overutilized for streaming video.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

azurite posted:

Please feel free to tell me how dumb you think I am, but I always thought it would make sense for residential ISPs to bill based on utilization like Fi does. This is assuming the rates are low and fair, of course. That way, you get maximum speed when you need it, and you can't peg your connection 100% of the time unless you want to be billed accordingly. I feel like it would deflate ISP arguments against net neutrality, because the heavy use cases like streaming video and P2P would already be paid for.

Right now, ISPs oversell bandwidth, impose arbitrary caps, and try to complain that their services are being overutilized for streaming video.

They can just throttle the bad actors during peek hours. Either way they are attempting to make the case that everyone needs to suffer because like a tenth of a percent of their subscribers actually use their connection to its full potential.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So thinking about getting my 12 year old son a phone on Fi. He's definitely not getting a Pixel, so any suggestions? He would just need it for the usual crap. I would like to be able to lock down his usage and monitor him like we're living in an Orwellian state.

Bonus points if I can deliver electric shock to him on command.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

So thinking about getting my 12 year old son a phone on Fi. He's definitely not getting a Pixel, so any suggestions? He would just need it for the usual crap. I would like to be able to lock down his usage and monitor him like we're living in an Orwellian state.

My 14 and 12yo have the Moto X4 and it's fine. It's a phone. It works.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

I am extremely happy with my Moto X4, to the point where I got my mother one, as well. It's expensive enough to be nice, but not so expensive that if it gets broken it's the end of the goddamn world.

I think they charge extra for the electric shock module.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Yes an X4 is absolutely enough phone for a 12 year old. I can't speak for whatever performance hit your helicopter parent software may incur, and the kid's going to outsmart it in a month anyway. So have fun with that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Black Friday deals, looks like at the low end the X4 is going for $150, the G6 for $100.

Pixels getting discounts and account credits. It's looking pretty baller.

https://fi.google.com/account#buydevices

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Black Friday deals, looks like at the low end the X4 is going for $150, the G6 for $100.

Ahhh gently caress me I should have waited to order that Pixel :suicide:

I'm tempted to order the V35 for myself now, but I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat walking around with a new phone while my wife is waiting until Christmas to get hers.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 23, 2018

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm on a Huawei Mate 10 since my Pixel 1 fried on me back in February. Convince me (not) to buy a Pixel 3 (XL) while it's on sale today.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Holy gently caress I spent the last month and a half in China (with no firewall impact), Taiwan, Japan and Germany and just having consistent coverage and data that's no extra is worth whatever else I'm missing out on. Consistently amazing my scrub tier colleagues who can even text on their phones without incurring feeeees.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanatosian posted:

drat, in addition to the $200 off the Pixel 3 XL that Google Store is offering, there's $200 in bill credits too. I ordered yesterday through the Google Store like a huge moron, and they won't let me cancel. Now comes the hoop jumping.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

drat, in addition to the $200 off the Pixel 3 XL that Google Store is offering, there's $200 in bill credits too. I ordered yesterday through the Google Store like a huge moron, and they won't let me cancel. Now comes the hoop jumping.

Fuuuuuuuck, I had already ordered my dad a Moto X4... but a Pixel 3 for net $400 (because $200 statement credit is essentially a $200 discount) or a 3XL for $500 is making me think I should cancel that, and just give him mine once I get a Pixel...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What are the opinions on the 3 vs. the 3 XL? If I like big phones, would there be any reason not to get the XL?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

^^ From my research on the 3XL vs the 3, it has better battery life and is pretty much identical in every other respect. The 3 has slightly punchier reds in the display apparently if you care about that. I don't think there's any reason not to get the 3XL.

I posted this in the recommend thread, but I wanted to crosspost it here too:

quote:

Hey friends, my Nexus 5X is dying rapidly and I'd like to trade it in for credit and get a new phone through Google Fi (which is also my carrier). I use my phone for Twitter, Discord, some forums and news browsing, checking transit/weather, and a bunch of listening to music. I don't really watch videos or play any games. I mostly care about battery life, stability, and not needing to replace my phone again for awhile. Should I splurge and get the Pixel 3 or should I just get the Moto X4 and save myself a chunk of money?

Like the Pixel 3 deal is honestly super tempting and I'm mainly wondering how much more life I'm gonna get out of it vs the X4 in the long term. I know in every other respect I care about they're pretty comparable phones.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

^^ From my research on the 3XL vs the 3, it has better battery life and is pretty much identical in every other respect. The 3 has slightly punchier reds in the display apparently if you care about that. I don't think there's any reason not to get the 3XL.
To clarify, which has the longer battery life?

Reene posted:

I posted this in the recommend thread, but I wanted to crosspost it here too:

Like the Pixel 3 deal is honestly super tempting and I'm mainly wondering how much more life I'm gonna get out of it vs the X4 in the long term. I know in every other respect I care about they're pretty comparable phones.
I love my X4, best phone I've ever had, and it is a fantastic loving deal for $150. I had already ordered one for my dad before I decided that I am a consumer whore and can't resist getting a flagship phone for sub-$600.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

3XL has better battery life by about an hour in all the reviews I read of it.

I am definitely dazzled by the Pixel name (and it comes in pink) but it is increasingly sounding like the X4 is what I'll wanna go with.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is Black Friday a new concept for you? I can't imagine ordering anything that costs 3 digits shortly before or on Thanksgiving, for the reasons you're encountering.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Just grabbed the Pixel 3. $300 net with my Pixel 1 trade in.

OG Pixel was still working fine, but 300 for an upgrade to latest tech is just too sweet to pass up. Now I'm worried that the Pixel 4 is gonna be a big jump from the much more incremental difference between the 1 and the 3.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
I jumped on the pixel 3 as well first thing this morning. Currently riding in the car to visit family and listing my 64gb pixel 2 on swappa.

I'll get a SA Mart/ phone swap post together when I reach, pm if anyone has early interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
From the Android thread, half off the Pixel wireless charger at Best Buy (in-store only in my area, at least).