Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I'd easily believe that the Coens have enough clout and interest to be involved in making the promos for their films. They're always perfect while never revealing too much, and the music choices are too good.

The only filmmaker I know of, though, that was openly involved in that, is James Gunn with his two Guardian flicks. Dude was involved in a lot of those decisions, especially with picking "Fox on the Run" for the sequel's trailer.

Andrew Stanton got control of marketing for John Carter, and the fact that he’s been a fan of the Barsoom Saga since he was a kid influenced the marketing of the film, which has been pointed to as one reason it flopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wasn't super hot on Burn After Reading at first but it has gotten better every time I've watched it and I would absolutely say it ranks with Big Lebowski.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Andrew Stanton got control of marketing for John Carter, and the fact that he’s been a fan of the Barsoom Saga since he was a kid influenced the marketing of the film, which has been pointed to as one reason it flopped

"John Carter, Warlord of Mars" would've been fine. "John Carter of Mars" might have worked. But "John Carter" means nothing. It's just a guy's name. It's the name you give to your thinly-veiled Bill Clinton stand-in in political thrillers from the 90s.

I mentioned in other threads that the consistent success of Marvel, Star Wars, to some extent Pirates and the remakes of the classics (plus animation) really disguises what a litany of failure Disney's attempts at live-action film outside those categories have been over the past decade or so. What's the last live-action Disney movie that was a bona fide success which didn't slot into any of those categories?

No doubt there's something obvious but I can't think of anything past the second National Treasure movie and that was in 2007.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That A Serious Man trailer set to the dream sequence bit where the main character gets his head smashed into the chalkboard was incredible.

I think that's a top 5 trailer among everything I've seen in theaters. I'm not sure off the top of my head what else would be on there outside of #1 in my heart, the Red Eye romcom fakeout.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I wasn't super hot on Burn After Reading at first but it has gotten better every time I've watched it and I would absolutely say it ranks with Big Lebowski.

My biggest problem was I thought I'd get a Coen Bros Spy movie, and what I got was a Coen Bros. screwball rom com with Pynchonesque spy paranoia sprinkled on top. The latter is great, but it wasn't what I was expecting, and that whiplash was a lot for some fans. I also just don't think Coen Bros fans were ready for a dildo recliner a year after No Country For Old Men.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Best songs about the CIA, go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjZerpIRgl4

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

"John Carter, Warlord of Mars" would've been fine. "John Carter of Mars" might have worked. But "John Carter" means nothing. It's just a guy's name. It's the name you give to your thinly-veiled Bill Clinton stand-in in political thrillers from the 90s.

I mentioned in other threads that the consistent success of Marvel, Star Wars, to some extent Pirates and the remakes of the classics (plus animation) really disguises what a litany of failure Disney's attempts at live-action film outside those categories have been over the past decade or so. What's the last live-action Disney movie that was a bona fide success which didn't slot into any of those categories?

No doubt there's something obvious but I can't think of anything past the second National Treasure movie and that was in 2007.

Well, if you're counting all live action Disney films, then High School Musical 3 was a huge success. Wasn't Into The Woods a huge success as well? And that Saving Mr. Banks?

I dunno, most of Disney's live action movies seem boring as gently caress, so I never see them, and I can't gauge how successful they are.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

My biggest problem was I thought I'd get a Coen Bros Spy movie, and what I got was a Coen Bros. screwball rom com with Pynchonesque spy paranoia sprinkled on top. The latter is great, but it wasn't what I was expecting, and that whiplash was a lot for some fans. I also just don't think Coen Bros fans were ready for a dildo recliner a year after No Country For Old Men.

The Coen Bros followed up a striking, fantastical drama about writers’ block with a movie about a man inventing hula hoops, and they followed up Blood Simple. with a goddamn apocalyptic screwball comedy about child abduction, Coen fans should be used to their tonal whiplash.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Coen Bros followed up a striking, fantastical drama about writers’ block with a movie about a man inventing hula hoops, and they followed up Blood Simple. with a goddamn apocalyptic screwball comedy about child abduction, Coen fans should be used to their tonal whiplash.

Is there a Coen Bros gag as or more ridiculous than the dildo chair reveal?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

The entire bank robbery sequence from Raising Arizona or, from Burn After Reading, Brad Pitt’s death.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Franchescanado posted:

That was the height of my clooney love and seeing cowardly clooney is a delight.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Somehow fell like 20 pages behind and was catching up but got tired of it and now here I am to ask if anyone can think of a good name for the Secret Santa thread? I might be able to come up with something but honestly I'm amazed I came up with as many as I did, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The Dude attempting to glean information by doing the old "scribble over the notepad" trick at Jackie Treehorn's.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Liberal Idiot posted:

The Dude attempting to glean information by doing the old "scribble over the notepad" trick at Jackie Treehorn's.

Never mind, this is the correct answer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The entire bank robbery sequence from Raising Arizona or, from Burn After Reading, Brad Pitt’s death.

Eh, the RA bank robbery is all slapstick Merrie Melody goofiness and fits the whole tone.

The dildo chair is precipitated by super-serious Raimi-esque editing sequence that builds it up like a super-secret important plot-heavy device, and then we get the reveal that it's just Clooney's perverse Dad hobby, complete with him proudly describing the money he saved by making his own. It's so drat goofy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Liberal Idiot posted:

This was also what came to my mind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

That sort of list is something I would've cared about when I was like 18 and needing a guide to explore world cinema, but now I know who's who and am more interested in who & what should be revived or at least talked up more.

Yeah, to be clear the homework stuff is perfectly fine, barring a few ridiculous inclusions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Liberal Idiot posted:

drat, that's a really good one.

Also, while not as good, O Brother's reveal that Pete was not turned into a Horny Toad and just got arrested while being horny is one of my favorites. :argh: "DO. NOT. SEEK. THE TREASURE."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I'd easily believe that the Coens have enough clout and interest to be involved in making the promos for their films. They're always perfect while never revealing too much, and the music choices are too good.

The only filmmaker I know of, though, that was openly involved in that, is James Gunn with his two Guardian flicks. Dude was involved in a lot of those decisions, especially with picking "Fox on the Run" for the sequel's trailer.

Doesn't Fincher usually cut his own trailers? Or at least has a big say in them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

, from Burn After Reading, Brad Pitt’s death.

The face he makes loving kills me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
YouTube has made a bunch of movies available to watch for free

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I will finally watch agent Cody Banks

Edit and the sequel!

It's not a bad list actually

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Franchescanado posted:

drat, that's a really good one.

Also, while not as good, O Brother's reveal that Pete was not turned into a Horny Toad and just got arrested while being horny is one of my favorites. :argh: "DO. NOT. SEEK. THE TREASURE."

WE THOUGH. YOU WAS. A TOAD!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hell yeah watching Hackers on YouTube for free

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Terminator and a bunch of poo poo. Great list

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Experimenter stands out to me as an insanely good pick off that last for anyone who hasn't seen it

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Liberal Idiot posted:

I love that it's maybe the most pro-active detective move he tries to do in the whole movie and that's the result he gets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saved, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and for found footage fam, Europa Report

Also Rocky 1-5

Edit: and Jesus Camp! Holy poo poo everyone watch that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo, New World is on that list, that movie loving rules if you like Korean action movies

Choi Min-sik (the Oldboy guy) is in it in a pretty major role, too

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm late as I am every year but here is the CineD Secret Santa Thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874788

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

I love that it's maybe the most pro-active detective move he tries to do in the whole movie and that's the result he gets.

It pairs perfectly with the payoff to Clooney's sneaking around in Burn After Reading because the punchline to both is just "penis."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

banned from Starbucks posted:

The Terminator and a bunch of poo poo. Great list

After that I've got Monsters, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, Jesus Camp, The Assassin, and Ballet 422. There's gold in all that dirt, mate.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

cebrail posted:

They're not really foreign-language films. This list said "primarily in a language other than English" and while the English and Italian versions of Leones movies are both kind of the original and both partially dubbed, the main characters are mostly Americans and the movies can't really be said to be primarily in Italian.

Yeah I know it's just a dumb list that is built on a technical premise more than anything, but I find interesting that Leone's Italian depiction of the American West isn't acknowledged or even considered as foreign cinema, but Kurosawa is put on top of the list without a thought of how he was and is seen by his countrymen, and what kind of cinema his films mostly resemble.

Though this a conversation that goes into a topic more complex than "100 films that you have to watch with subtitles".

Edit: Nor is the strange irony of Leone's first film being a Italian western remake of a japanese film based on an american crime thriller completely lost on me.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 19, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
guess i can finally watch *cough* rocky *cough*

Drug War is fantastic, absolute must-see if you haven't gotten around to it yet.

lolling @ anyone going in blind for The Assassin (which is different from The Assassins, also listed)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Electronico6 posted:

but Kurosawa is put on top of the list without a thought of how he was and is seen by his countrymen, and what kind of cinema his films mostly resemble.

Would you be able to elaborate on this? The former section specifically

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Please everyone watch the Rocky series so we can all see Rocky v for it's true glory. Then watch over the top as the bridge to Rocky Balboa.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
edit: Never mind, I'm stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind: post was never minded

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Nevermind, a 1991 album by Nirvana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcj6SrX4zw