Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
warmans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kinda busy at work + really stopped caring about this.

Anyone else is welcome to pick up.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Xander77 posted:

Kinda busy at work + really stopped caring about this.

Anyone else is welcome to pick up.

Well it's real bad.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
nanotubes fall everyone dies

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who wants to read some more of this terrible story? No one? Too bad, we're going to. We're so close to the end now, we may as well just get it over with.

Chapter 102: Caring

It is, the author notes, June 3rd 1992. Professor Quirrell is "very sick". Dying, in fact, it would seem. Madam Pomfrey banned him from teaching for health reasons but he yelled at her and she immediately gave in. Harry's obsessed with ending death.

Eliezer Yudkowsky posted:

Harry had checked the books, had learned that since he was too young to have sexual thoughts he would be able to approach a unicorn without fear. The same books had said nothing about unicorns being smart. Harry had already noticed that every intelligent magical species was at least partially humanoid, from merfolk to centaurs to giants, from elves to goblins to veela. All had essentially humanlike emotions, many were known to interbreed with humans. Harry had already reasoned out that magic didn't create new intelligence but just changed the shape of genetically human beings. Unicorns were equinoid, were not even partially humanoid, didn't talk, used no tools, they were almost certainly just magical horses. If it was right to eat a cow to feed yourself for a day, then it had to be right to drink a unicorn's blood in order to stave off death for weeks. You couldn't have it both ways.

So Harry had gone into the Forbidden Forest wearing his Cloak. He had searched the Grove of Unicorns until he saw her, a proud creature with a pure white coat and violet hair, with three blue blotches on her flank. Harry had gone over, and the sapphire eyes had stared at him inquisitively. Harry had tapped out the sequence 1-2-3 on the ground several times with his shoes. The unicorn had shown no sign of responding in kind. Harry had reached over, taken her hoof in his hand, and tapped the same sequence with the unicorn's hoof. The unicorn had only looked at him curiously.

And something about feeding the unicorn the sleeping-potion-laced sugar cubes had still felt like murder.

That magic gives their existence a weight of meaning which no mere animal could possess... to slay something innocent to save oneself, that is a very grave sin. Those two phrases, from Professor McGonagall, from the centaur, had both run through Harry's mind, over and over as the white unicorn had yawned, laid down on the ground, and closed its eyes for what would be the last time. The Transfiguration had lasted an hour, and Harry's eyes had watered repeatedly as he worked. The unicorn's death might not have come then, but it would come soon enough, and it was foreign to Harry's nature to try to refuse responsibility of any kind. Harry would just have to hope that, if you didn't kill the unicorn to save yourself, if you did it to help a friend, it would be acceptable in the end.
All I can say about that is that that is a really lovely intelligence test, but that could be intentional. Quirrell tells him not to do it again though. Harry then suggests that Quirrell make a horcrux, but Quirrell ridiculs that idea because the spell works completely differently in this version of the story to the original. In the original I believe the idea is that you split your soul into pieces and put one of the pieces somewhere else, so that if something kills you your soul is still anchored to the mortal world and can't move on, thus allowing you to return to life. Quirrell explains this universe's version (edited to remove the annoying Parseltongue signifiers):

"Tear a piece of your soul? That is a lie; A misdirection to hide the true secret. The required murder is not a ritual sacrifice at all. Sudden death sometimes creates a ghost if the magic bursts and imprints on a nearby thing. The horcrux spell channels that death-burst through the caster, creating their own ghost instead of the victim's, and imprints that ghost onto a special device. A second victim then picks up the horcrux device, which imprints your memories onto them. But only the memories from the time the horcrux device was made."
Now, this is a character speaking not the author, so they could be wrong about any or all of that, but let's assume it's right. Quirrell's problem with it is that the cast remains alive after casting, so the imprinted version won't have any memories made after the spell is cast. He's worried about "continuity of consciousness", which is a term that people who don't think they believe in souls use when they want to talk about souls. Basically he thinks that he'd be dead and a soulless clone of his mind would be walking around pretending to be him. But he also says that "Merlin's Interdict [the enchantment that prevents sufficiently powerful spells from being written down or otherwise committed to record] prevents powerful spells from passing through such a device since it is not truly alive" and that his personality would be merged with the victim's, which he also doesn't want.

Harry asks to be taught the spell anyway, just in case he can figure out solutions to these problems, and Quirrell basically says "Oh, I would have taught you anything you wanted if you'd just asked, but now I've changed my mind and I'm not going to."

So Harry just moves on to the next topic; if you have to hate someone and want them to die, how can Quirrell just cast it at anyone, any time, even if he doesn't know them or have any reason to hate them or want them dead? Quirrell responds with some obtuse nonsense (edited for clarity):

"There is a limitation to the Killing Curse. To cast it once in a fight you must hate enough to want the other dead. To cast it twice you must hate enough to kill twice; to cut their throat with your own hands and watch them die, then do it again. Very few can hate enough to kill someone five times. They would get bored." The Defense Professor breathed several times, before continuing. "But if you look at history you will find some Dark Wizards who could cast the Killing Curse over and over. A nineteenth-century witch who called herself Dark Evangel (the Aurors called her A. K. McDowell) could cast the Killing Curse a dozen times in one fight. Ask yourself, as I asked myself, what is the secret that she knew? What is deadlier than hate and flows without limit?"

"I don't really care," Harry answered.
So there you go. You can cast Avadra Kedavra on someone you hate and want dead, but also by just not caring if they live or die. Then they move on to the philosopher's stone, which is also different in this version. There are no details but according to Quirrell it's not what everyone thinks, the person who claims to have invented it actually didn't, and it's got some kind of healing power. He also told Harry not to try to get it, but obviously Harry is going to anyway.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Tiggum posted:

A nineteenth-century witch who called herself Dark Evangel (the Aurors called her A. K. McDowell)

Just googled this to see if it's a historical figure.

It's a vampire from an anime.

I really don't know what I expected.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

but if you actually didn't care for real, a ~rational~ person wouldn't bother to cast the spell, since it would be wasted effort

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In the books, the thing about the killing curse that makes it "unforgivable" is that there is no way to cast it that is not murder. To use it, you have to actively want someone dead for the sake of them being dead. Like, your standard self-defense clause? Doesn't even apply. If you "want to stop someone from hurting you" or "want to protect someone" the way you could, say, aim a gun at someone and pull the trigger? Plain doesn't work. Wrong intention, magic fizzles. It's why the society of the setting is so collectively disturbed by anyone who can throw killing curses around like confetti - there is something really really wrong with you if you can drop into cold-blooded premeditated murder at the drop of a hat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Thanks, I hate it!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

:yudkowski:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

My first thought was "character from another fanfic".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Two other things that we definitely should have expected:

1) The Wikipedia article List of characters from the Negima! Magister Negi Magi series is over 15,000 words long.

2) The vampire in question is 700 year old but naturally only looks like a little girl, officer:

what hath thou wroughth, jimbo posted:

Evangeline Athanasia Katherine (Kitty) McDowell (エヴァンジェリン・アタナシア・キティ・マクダウェル Evanjerin Atanashia Kiti Makudaweru), listed as Evangeline A.K. McDowell (エヴァンジェリン・マクダウェル Evanjerin Makudaweru), and usually called by her classmates as Evachan, is student number twenty-six in the class. She is a British "high daylight walker" pure-blooded-vampire (真祖 Shinso, true Ancestor) who was turned at the age of ten during the Hundred Years' War.

Oh, and from this chapter, Eliezer is a no-borders advocate. I think he got that from all the shining Silicon Valley libertarian entrepreneurs he sycophantically worships hangs out with, so naturally Harry the eleven-year-old Brit holds the exact same policy positions as him.

Ch. 102 posted:

It had come up much earlier, before the Trial, in conversation with Hermione; when she'd said something about magical Britain being Prejudiced, with considerable and recent justification. And Harry had thought - but not said - that at least she'd been let into Hogwarts to be spat upon.

Not like certain people living in certain countries, who were, it was said, as human as anyone else; who were said to be sapient beings, worth more than any mere unicorn. But who nonetheless wouldn't be allowed to live in Muggle Britain. On that score, at least, no Muggle had the right to look a wizard in the eye. Magical Britain might discriminate against Muggleborns, but at least it allowed them inside so they could be spat upon in person.

What is deadlier than hate, and flows without limit?

"Indifference," Harry whispered aloud, the secret of a spell he would never be able to cast; and kept striding toward the library to read anything he could find, anything at all, about the Philosopher's Stone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Say what you want about how economically and socially realistic no-borders Libertarianism is, but at least it's better than the xenophobic racism that characterizes the other extreme. You can fault the bad writing, but you can't fault the sentiment.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Good on you for taking this on. Much better than my own recaps (low as that bar is).

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does he think that zero immigrants enter England or something?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tiggum posted:

Now, this is a character speaking not the author, so they could be wrong about any or all of that, but let's assume it's right. Quirrell's problem with it is that the cast remains alive after casting, so the imprinted version won't have any memories made after the spell is cast. He's worried about "continuity of consciousness", which is a term that people who don't think they believe in souls use when they want to talk about souls. Basically he thinks that he'd be dead and a soulless clone of his mind would be walking around pretending to be him.

Ehh, I'm with him on this one.

Like, we'll just take out the death bit of it for now and say that this is a spell that creates a perfect copy, no caveats. Both copies continue on living. They are both the 'real' Quirrell, they both have souls, and the status of 'original' or 'copy' is ultimately irrelevant, but:

These two people are not, literally, the same person. They occupy different physical space, they experience different things. They do not share thoughts. Although they have the same memories up until the point of divergence, afterwards they will form new memories independent of the other. If Quirrell A is sitting down, and sees Quirrell 1 standing, he won't get confused whether he himself in his own physical body is sitting or standing. If Quirrel 1 eats a nice meal, Quirrell A will not remember it nor have his hunger sated.

If they are offered a choice- one wins the lottery, the other is hit by a bus- well, they'll have a preference, won't they? Quirrell A might be willing to sacrifice himself for Quirrell 1's sake, but he won't consider his experience as being literally exactly identical to the other's. Quirrell 1's lack of pain does not mean that Quirrell A was not hit by the bus. It's not Quirrell, singular, who was both hit by a bus and won the lottery, it's the Quirrells, plural. Quirrell A was hit by a bus and Quirrell 1 who won the lottery. Two separate individuals, even though they are genetically identical and have the same memories up until the point of divergence. It's a relationship more like identical twin sibling, not a single being in two bodies.

So Yudkowski's description of the horcrux protects the general 'idea' of the caster- if Quirrell A dies, there's still Quirrell 1 to go on Quirrell-ing- but it does not protect the individual instance of Quirrell A. That Quirrell 1 survives does not mean that Quirrell A has not stopped. Q-1 surviving will only bring comfort to Q-A in the same sense of having a legacy- like having children or surviving family or persisting in people's memory or what have you. It does not actually stop or provide a means of preventing or surpassing the physical and mental cessation of Quirrell A- which is what he cares about and seeks.

Like, look at it the other way- Quirrell A dies. Does Quirrell 1 sit down and think, "oh, I'm dead." No, because QA's death doesn't mean anything to him other than like, emotionally. But spiritually or physically or metaphysically, Q1 is not in any way changed by A's death. So in the same way, Q1's life doesn't invalidate QA's death.

Of course, in the HP series horcruxes were just anchors for the caster's consciousness, not independent beings. Although, the exception is the diary, which did seem to operate on its own. I'm not really sure why that is though, or why Yudkowski decided on taking that one to be the rule.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 19, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

These two people are not, literally, the same person.
They're not the same person from that point onward, but they were the same person before that. They're both the "real" Quirrell and regardless of which one dies the real Quirrell is still alive. All that's lost are the memories the "original" forms between making the copy and dying, which is functionally equivalent to amnesia. You don't die whenever you forget something.

Mazerunner posted:

It's a relationship more like identical twin sibling, not a single being in two bodies.

So Yudkowski's description of the horcrux protects the general 'idea' of the caster- if Quirrell A dies, there's still Quirrell 1 to go on Quirrell-ing- but it does not protect the individual instance of Quirrell A.
Without a soul (which Quirrell has stated doesn't exist) there is nothing "in" the body. There is no "individual instance" - no such thing as "continuity of consciousness". A person is just an idea. It's the ship of Theseus. It's the same ship no matter how much of it you replace, even to the point that no part of it is the same as it was to begin with. Quirrell is still Quirrell even if he's a copy.

Mazerunner posted:

That Quirrell 1 survives does not mean that Quirrell A has not stopped.
Nothing has stopped because there is nothing to stop. There is no continuous thing that exists at the core of a person that defines them as themself.

Mazerunner posted:

It does not actually stop or provide a means of preventing or surpassing the physical and mental cessation of Quirrell A- which is what he cares about and seeks.
It absolutely does prevent the physical and mental cessation of Quirrell though. "Quirrell A" and "Quirrell 1" is a distinction without meaning. They're both equally him.

Anyway, shall we have the next chapter? Let's have the next chapter.

Chapter 103: Tests

Draco is looking for clues about Hermione's murder, and Quirrell, temporarily back to full strength, has decided to have the kids do their Ministry-set Defence Against the Dark Arts exam, despite previously saying he wasn't going to even when he was well, and also despite not having taught the actual curriculum. Except then it turns out the kids are more preapred than they thought? I guess this is Yudkowsky's scathing critique of standardised tests.

Halfway down the page was the first exam question.

It was, Why is it important for children to stay away from strange creatures?

There was a stunned pause.

One student began laughing, she thought it was from the Gryffindor section of the class. Professor Quirrell made no motion to censor it, and the laughter spread.

Nobody spoke aloud, but the students looked around at each other, exchanging glances as the laughter died down, and then as if by some unspoken agreement they all looked at Professor Quirrell, who was smiling down at them benevolently.

Daphne bent over her exam, wearing a defiant evil smile that would have done proud to either Godric Gryffindor or Grindelwald; and she wrote down, Because my Stunning Hex, my Most Ancient Blade, and my Patronus Charm won't work against everything.
And Harry just can't help being obnoxious.

Eliezer Yudkwosky posted:

The last question on the test was "What would you do if you suspected there might be a Bogeysnake underneath your bed?" The Ministry-approved answer, Harry could in fact recall from his read-through of the textbook at the start of the year, was Tell your parents. The problem with this had occurred to Harry right away, which was why Harry had remembered it.

After some pondering, Harry wrote down:

Dear Ministry grader: I'm afraid the real answer to that is a secret, but rest assured that a Bogeysnake would present no more trouble to me than a mountain troll, a Dementor, or You-Know-Who. Please inform your superiors that I find your standard answer prejudicial to Muggleborns, and that I expect this failing will be corrected at once without any need for my direct intervention.

Sincerely, the Boy-Who-Lived.
I don't know why he's chosen to use italics for some of the quotes but quotation marks for others. It's almost like he wrote a first draft and immediately published it without bothering to go back and revise it at all.

Anyway, Quirrell already gave them the grades and just made them do the exam as a sort of lesson on always being prepared for anything.

"All of you in this room have received grades of at least Acceptable. Neville Longbottom who took this test in the Longbottom home received a grade of Outstanding. But the other student who is not here has had a Dreadful grade entered on her record for failing the only important test that was given her this year. I would have marked her even lower but that would have been in poor taste."

The room was very quiet, though a number of students were staring angrily at the Professor.

"You may think that a grade of Dreadful is not fair. That Miss Granger was faced with a test for which her lessons had not prepared her. That she was not told that the exam was coming on that day."

"Such is realism," said Professor Quirrell. "The only important test may come at any time. Be better prepared for it than she was.
Oh, and he gave Harry a grade of Exceeds Expectations (second highest) because that's the grade that he got in his first year, which Harry finds very moving.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tiggum posted:

They're not the same person from that point onward, but they were the same person before that. They're both the "real" Quirrell and regardless of which one dies the real Quirrell is still alive. All that's lost are the memories the "original" forms between making the copy and dying, which is functionally equivalent to amnesia. You don't die whenever you forget something.

I agree that they are both real beings- but for all practical intents and purposes they are two discrete beings. Two individual people, regardless of how you define people or consciousness. After the point of divergence they are no longer identical. If one loses an arm, that person is no longer the same person as the one who did not. After the point of divergence, there is no 'real' Quirrell. There is now the 'real' Quirrell A and the 'real' Quirrell 1.

Are two genetically identical siblings the same person? Even at the moment of birth? They are genetically identical. They have the same memories (none). And yet it would be absurd to say that they are the same human being- however you want to define human being. If one dies, you would never, ever claim to the parents that actually, there was no death, that nothing was lost, because the other still lives, would you?

We can also define death as a loss of potential- that this being, this person will no longer act, will no longer experience, no longer grow (physically or mentally). However you want to define life, a dead person is explicitly Not That. If Quirrell A and 1 can be said to both have the potential to live different lives, then the death of one means the potential is lost- so the other's survival does not mean death was prevented. If under one circumstance, both A and 1 live to 100 years old, living different lives- would you not say that there were two people? Two different lives, however defined? If A were to die at 35 instead, is that not a loss of potential?

You can clone grape vines, sort of, by using cuttings. Genetically identical. No memories to be lost or gained. One vine withers. The other continues to sprout. Is it one vine that is somehow in both the state of wither and bloom? Or is it two vines, one dead and one alive?

Or, suppose I offered to create a perfect replica of a $20 bill in your pocket. Now you'll have $40 dollars. Cool! But then I burn one of the bills- or maybe a completely different bill. It really doesn't matter. The point is that you could have gained $20 dollars, but you didn't. Potential value was lost. Real or not, original or fake, you do not have as much money as you could have.

So it is with a horcrux Quirrell. There is the potential for two lives (with the same starting point). If one dies, that potential is lost regardless of the other's status.

quote:

Without a soul (which Quirrell has stated doesn't exist) there is nothing "in" the body. There is no "individual instance" - no such thing as "continuity of consciousness". A person is just an idea. It's the ship of Theseus. It's the same ship no matter how much of it you replace, even to the point that no part of it is the same as it was to begin with. Quirrell is still Quirrell even if he's a copy.

Nothing has stopped because there is nothing to stop. There is no continuous thing that exists at the core of a person that defines them as themself.

And if the entire ship is burned to a crisp? Another ship is constructed afterwards using different wood, but in the same design. Is that the same ship?
What if the second ship was constructed before the first ship burned? Still the same ship?

But ok- a person is defined by the 'idea' of themselves- something intangible, separate from their mind and body (sounds a lot like a soul to me, but hey). Well, after the point of divergence, Quirrell A and 1 are different ideas!

Quirrell A is defined by the idea that he is sitting on the left side of the room, and people call him Quirrell A. Quirrell 1 is defined by the idea that he is standing on the right side of the room, and people call him Quirrell 1.

If Quirrell A's meat is stopped, his idea is redefined to be 'dead', and the presence or continuation of Quirrell 1's meat means exactly jack-poo poo to him.

We can allow for some discontinuations in the 'idea' of a person or object- changes in mind, in material, etc. But there are some breaks so sharp that we must end the old idea, and start a new one. Death or otherwise complete destruction, chiefly, but in this hypothetical, the creation of an "identical" copy must also necessitate a split.

quote:

It absolutely does prevent the physical and mental cessation of Quirrell though. "Quirrell A" and "Quirrell 1" is a distinction without meaning. They're both equally him.

Or, the 'idea' of a person is something carried and defined by other people.

Qurrel A and Quirrell 1 are both 'Quirrell' in the abstract- but they are not equal to each other, in the same way that Fred and George Weasley are not literally the same discrete being.

I'm not discussing if they are real or not- I've conceded that they both are real, and both have equal claim to the title of Quirrell. Whether or not people have souls, they both equally do or do not have souls. But they do not have claim to literally be each other. They have diverged and will continue diverging- you can certainly treat them both as valid continuations of the idea of Quirrell before the divergence- but there was a divergence. You cannot treat them as completely indistinguishable from each other after that point.

If A enters a legal contract, is 1 bound to that contract?
If 1 commits a crime, is A to be punished?
If A drinks, should 1 go thirsty?
If 1 eats, can A eat again that exact same food that entered 1's mouth?
If Dumbledore kills 1, should he go free because A exists?
If A is sick, is 1 given medicine?
If 1 dies, is A declared dead as well?
If A is best friends with Harry, must he also be friends with 1? Even if all Harry's experiences with 1 are negative?

I think, that you'd have to admit that the answer to all these questions is no.

From an outside observer's perspective, A and 1 do have some level of self-continuity, distincty from each other; enough to hold them to legal standards, to have opinions and relationships with each as individuals. To Harry, they are not interchangeable. If his friend A dies, his relationship with A has ended. He can have a new or different relationship with 1 and it could be similar- but it cannot be identical to the relationship with A, because from Harry's perspective, he has had different experiences with them. His relationship with Quirrell 1 is layered on top of his knowledge of his relationship with A.

But moreover, you could say that a person is defined by their idea of themself. "I think, therefore I am", and all that. It smooths over losses of memory and conscious, changes in physical state and so on. Of course, we then allow for the existence of others- they think, therefore they are. And they are not I. From Quirrell A's perspective, 1 is not him. 1 is someone else. He can interact with 1, in the way that he interacts with other not-Quirrell people. He perceives 1 from 'outside'. He does not have access to 1's mind (though he can make excellent guesses). He defines 1, by his relationship and memory. Taken together with the above, the ideas of A and 1 are intrinsically defined as being themself and not the other one.

If that is the 'idea' of them while both exist simultaneously (as allowed for in Yudkowski's scenario), then I don't see why that would change on the death (even pre-emptively) of one of them.

Also I noted that you skipped over the hypothetical of one winning the lottery and the other getting hit by the bus. Both Quirrell's want the lottery, neither want the bus. The distinction of which one gets what has great meaning for them. They would not share in the idea of being equally each other, would they?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 19, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

regardless of how you define people or consciousness.
There's your problem. I'm not defining those terms because I'm saying they don't exist. There is no definition of what a person is because a person isn't a thing at all. It's a convenient fiction to pretend that there is an entity at the centre of each body that persists throughout that body's life.

Mazerunner posted:

After the point of divergence, there is no 'real' Quirrell.
There never was a real Quirrell. Each copy is exactly as real as the original was because defining any version of him as the "real" one is meaningless.

Mazerunner posted:

Are two genetically identical siblings the same person? Even at the moment of birth? They are genetically identical. They have the same memories (none). And yet it would be absurd to say that they are the same human being- however you want to define human being.
In the real world, two bodies are always two people because magical personality transfers, cloning, etc. are all impossible. The analogy breaks down not because there's anything fundamentally different about the situation but because the concept is different, and when we're talking about people (or any other kind of object) we're talking about concepts, not physical things. A person is not their body, because the body can change and yet the person stays the same. A person is the concept that we associate with that body. If we associated the same concept with two different bodies then they would be the same person.

Mazerunner posted:

We can also define death as a loss of potential- that this being, this person will no longer act, will no longer experience, no longer grow (physically or mentally). However you want to define life, a dead person is explicitly Not That. If Quirrell A and 1 can be said to both have the potential to live different lives, then the death of one means the potential is lost- so the other's survival does not mean death was prevented.
If you could make a duplicate of a person and you choose not to then that exact same potential is lost. Every time you could have a child and don't you kill your potential offspring.

Mazerunner posted:

If under one circumstance, both A and 1 live to 100 years old, living different lives- would you not say that there were two people?
Sure.

Mazerunner posted:

You can clone grape vines, sort of, by using cuttings. Genetically identical. No memories to be lost or gained. One vine withers. The other continues to sprout. Is it one vine that is somehow in both the state of wither and bloom? Or is it two vines, one dead and one alive?
If you took a cutting of a plant in order to have two plants, but one of those plants died and the other lived, does it matter which one died? You've still got the original plant, for all intents and purposes.

Mazerunner posted:

Or, suppose I offered to create a perfect replica of a $20 bill in your pocket. Now you'll have $40 dollars. Cool! But then I burn one of the bills- or maybe a completely different bill. It really doesn't matter. The point is that you could have gained $20 dollars, but you didn't. Potential value was lost. Real or not, original or fake, you do not have as much money as you could have.
But I've got as much money as I did have. I've lost nothing.

Mazerunner posted:

And if the entire ship is burned to a crisp? Another ship is constructed afterwards using different wood, but in the same design. Is that the same ship?
Sure.

Mazerunner posted:

What if the second ship was constructed before the first ship burned? Still the same ship?
Why not?

Let's go with something simpler than a ship. Let's go with an axe. It's got two parts. Handle and head. Let's say the head gets chipped so you replace it. That's not a new axe, it's still the same one, you just fixed it. Then the handle break, so you you replace that. Again, same axe, you just fixed it. But it contains none of the original pieces. So how would that change if you'd thrown it out and bought another one? We've already established that the concept of "this axe" is not attached to the specific matter of which it's constructed, it's just a label. Why can't we move that label?

Mazerunner posted:

But ok- a person is defined by the 'idea' of themselves- something intangible, separate from their mind and body (sounds a lot like a soul to me, but hey).
Except that a soul is assumed to actually exist. I'm specifically saying that the idea of a person doesn't exist, it's just a convenient fiction.

Mazerunner posted:

Well, after the point of divergence, Quirrell A and 1 are different ideas!

Quirrell A is defined by the idea that he is sitting on the left side of the room, and people call him Quirrell A. Quirrell 1 is defined by the idea that he is standing on the right side of the room, and people call him Quirrell 1.

If Quirrell A's meat is stopped, his idea is redefined to be 'dead', and the presence or continuation of Quirrell 1's meat means exactly jack-poo poo to him.
What is "him"?

Mazerunner posted:

We can allow for some discontinuations in the 'idea' of a person or object- changes in mind, in material, etc. But there are some breaks so sharp that we must end the old idea, and start a new one.
Who says? I never agreed to that rule.

Mazerunner posted:

I'm not discussing if they are real or not- I've conceded that they both are real, and both have equal claim to the title of Quirrell. Whether or not people have souls, they both equally do or do not have souls. But they do not have claim to literally be each other. They have diverged and will continue diverging- you can certainly treat them both as valid continuations of the idea of Quirrell before the divergence- but there was a divergence. You cannot treat them as completely indistinguishable from each other after that point.
But if they're both equally Quirrell, as long as one of them survives then Quirrell is still alive. Not dead. There's a dead body that used to be Quirrell but it isn't him any more. He's sitting over there, still alive.

Mazerunner posted:

If A enters a legal contract, is 1 bound to that contract?
If 1 commits a crime, is A to be punished?
If A drinks, should 1 go thirsty?
If 1 eats, can A eat again that exact same food that entered 1's mouth?
If Dumbledore kills 1, should he go free because A exists?
If A is sick, is 1 given medicine?
If 1 dies, is A declared dead as well?
If A is best friends with Harry, must he also be friends with 1? Even if all Harry's experiences with 1 are negative?

I think, that you'd have to admit that the answer to all these questions is no.
There are two types of question here. The first category is to do with how people should or would treat a person who has been duplicated. That's really outside the scope of this discussion and depends on the individual or society and they legal and social norms. The second category is to do with physical matter - do two bodies behave as a single body merely because they've been assigned the same conceptual label. The answer to that is, of course, no. Feeding one body will not satiate the hunger of another body. But a body is not a person.

Mazerunner posted:

To Harry, they are not interchangeable. If his friend A dies, his relationship with A has ended. He can have a new or different relationship with 1 and it could be similar- but it cannot be identical to the relationship with A, because from Harry's perspective, he has had different experiences with them. His relationship with Quirrell 1 is layered on top of his knowledge of his relationship with A.
What if Quirrell entered a cloning booth, a "copy" stepped out and then the "original" was killed. Is there any reason why Harry should treat the "copy" as though it isn't Quirrell?

Mazerunner posted:

But moreover, you could say that a person is defined by their idea of themself. "I think, therefore I am", and all that. It smooths over losses of memory and conscious, changes in physical state and so on. Of course, we then allow for the existence of others- they think, therefore they are. And they are not I.
The phrase "I think, therefore I am" is merely an assertion that, whatever else one may be deceived about, one can be certain that one exists in some form as it is impossible for nothing to have thoughts. Essentially, you might be a brain in a jar or a simulation running on a computer, but you certainly exist in some form because if you didn't then you couldn't think you existed. There'd be no you to think it. As per Wikipedia "there must be a thinking entity—in this case the self—for there to be a thought". It doesn't imply that more than one thing exists or that that thing is what it believes itself to be. You can believe that other people exist but if, for example, you were a brain in a jar then those other people might simply be illusions, computer-controlled NPCs without self-awareness. If you were a computer simulation, and so was everyone else, and it was just one computer running the whole thing, wouldn't that mean that you and everyone else were all really one entity? Like a computer playing chess against itself.

Mazerunner posted:

From Quirrell A's perspective, 1 is not him. 1 is someone else. He can interact with 1, in the way that he interacts with other not-Quirrell people. He perceives 1 from 'outside'. He does not have access to 1's mind (though he can make excellent guesses). He defines 1, by his relationship and memory. Taken together with the above, the ideas of A and 1 are intrinsically defined as being themself and not the other one.

If that is the 'idea' of them while both exist simultaneously (as allowed for in Yudkowski's scenario), then I don't see why that would change on the death (even pre-emptively) of one of them.
The copy may think of himself as a copy. It doesn't matter.

Mazerunner posted:

Also I noted that you skipped over the hypothetical of one winning the lottery and the other getting hit by the bus. Both Quirrell's want the lottery, neither want the bus. The distinction of which one gets what has great meaning for them. They would not share in the idea of being equally each other, would they?
No. But that doesn't actually matter because if Quirrell wanted to be alive and win the lottery then he's got everything he wanted. The one who got hit by the bus doesn't exist any more so it doesn't matter what he wanted. Like with the axe, you started with an axe and you ended up with something that is, for all intents and purposes, the same axe. Does it matter whether you replaced the parts separately or simultaneously?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

All that's lost are the memories the "original" forms between making the copy and dying
Not really. What's lost is the individual consciousness that died. That one is gone now. They're identical, but they're not the same thing. It's comparable to making a copy of a book and then burning the original. The contents keep existing, but the thing itself does not. Since your consciousness is effectively a continuous process that happens inside one particular physical brain, one that cannot possibly ever be moved, this is (for all intents and purposes) death.

You're mixing up identity and subjective self-awareness here. They're not the same thing. I don't blame you, though. It's a problem a lot of people struggle with, which is why ideas like "uploading yourself into a computer to become immortal" still exist at all, even though they make no sense at all from a practical standpoint.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I would say take it to the PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker thread except that's been declared dead too. RIP In Piece.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

What's lost is the individual consciousness that died.
What is that? Define it.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's comparable to making a copy of a book and then burning the original.
It is, but not in the way you're implying. If you take a page out of a book, make an exact duplicate of that page and insert the duplicate into the book, it's still the same book, right? How many pages does it take before it's not the same book?

Cardiovorax posted:

Since your consciousness is effectively a continuous process that happens inside one particular physical brain, one that cannot possibly ever be moved, this is (for all intents and purposes) death.
Effectively? Meaning it's not actually that? So what is it actually?

Cardiovorax posted:

You're mixing up identity and subjective self-awareness here.
I'm fairly certain I'm not. But since you haven't defined either term I'm not sure exactly what you mean by them.

Cardiovorax posted:

They're not the same thing. I don't blame you, though. It's a problem a lot of people struggle with, which is why ideas like "uploading yourself into a computer to become immortal" still exist at all, even though they make no sense at all from a practical standpoint.
From a practical standpoint? Absurdity. We don't understand human brains well enough to even come close to doing that. And that's if there's even a computer powerful enough. From a theoretical standpoint? No problem at all. Assuming a good enough working knowledge of how the brain functions (including its interactions with the rest of the body) and computers advanced enough to run such a simulation, you can upload yourself to a computer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

From a practical standpoint? Absurdity. We don't understand human brains well enough to even come close to doing that. And that's if there's even a computer powerful enough. From a theoretical standpoint? No problem at all. Assuming a good enough working knowledge of how the brain functions (including its interactions with the rest of the body) and computers advanced enough to run such a simulation, you can upload yourself to a computer.
Look, please, I understand that you're dead-set on having an argument about this, but please learn more about information science and neurology and whatever else applies to this first. It literally makes no sense. Your consciousness is not an independent substance that you can take out of your brain and put somewhere else. There isn't actually such a thing as a mind-matter duality and information cannot be moved. You can create it, you can reproduce it, and you can destroy it, but you can't move it out of the medium in which it is encoded. I'm neither willing nor really prepared to have an impromptu lecture about this here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Your consciousness is not an independent substance that you can take out of your brain and put somewhere else.
That is exactly my point.

Cardiovorax posted:

There isn't actually such a thing as a mind-matter duality and information cannot be moved. You can create it, you can reproduce it, and you can destroy it, but you can't move it out of the medium in which it is encoded.
Exactly. Glad we agree. Information is not a physical substance and one instance of a given piece of information is fundamentally the same as another since both are merely representations of an abstract concept. "Consciousness" is not a thing, it's an idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Exactly. Glad we agree. Information is not a physical substance and one instance of a given piece of information is fundamentally the same as another since both are merely representations of an abstract concept. "Consciousness" is not a thing, it's an idea.
If I make a Tiggum-2 clone of you with all your memories and then put a bullet into the head of Tiggum-1, I think you might notice that there is, in fact, a very practical difference.

I'm not a philosopher, though, and I'm not really willing to pretend that I can give you a better definition when 3000 years worth of philosophers couldn't come up with an easy way to sum up individual self-awareness and consciousness in three sentences. So, I'm not even gonna try. "Consciousness does not actually exist" is the kind of counterfactual nonsense that even postmodernists would be ashamed of, though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If I make a Tiggum-2 clone of you with all your memories and then put a bullet into the head of Tiggum-1, I think you might notice that there is, in fact, a very practical difference.
I'm fairly certain I wouldn't. There's one of me right now and in the future there would still be one of me with all my memories and personality intact. No different, in fact, than if I hadn't been cloned at all. How could it be otherwise? What difference would I supposedly notice? What would even be doing the noticing?

Cardiovorax posted:

"Consciousness does not actually exist" is the kind of counterfactual nonsense that even postmodernists would be ashamed of, though.
We agree that information doesn't exist though, right? If I draw a squiggly line in a particular way then it represents the number three, but it isn't the number three. If I erase it I have not in any way altered "three" as a concept. And three can be represented by any number of squiggly lines (or other symbols) in any number of places and three remains three no matter what happens to them.

In fact, I misspoke earlier when I agreed that information can be created, erased, and reproduced. It can't, obviously because it doesn't exist. Representations of information can be created, erased and reproduced. Because the information itself doesn't actually exist.

Similarly a person can't be created, erased, copied or destroyed because a person isn't a real, physical thing. You can't point at any particular configuration of matter and say "that, and that alone, is Tiggum." Because the specific matter that is me is constantly changing. If a specific material object were a person then we'd be constantly dying all the time and being replaced by duplicates. A person, like a piece of information, is conceptual, not physical.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, so you're just arguing on the basis of semantics, then, instead of real things. That explains a lot.

quote:

I'm fairly certain I wouldn't. There's one of me right now and in the future there would still be one of me with all my memories and personality intact. No different, in fact, than if I hadn't been cloned at all. How could it be otherwise? What difference would I supposedly notice? What would even be doing the noticing?
Yeah, ok, sorry, but I'm done with this. You are a conscious human being. You are aware that you are currently arguing with me. Claiming otherwise is doing nothing but outright lying for the sake of an argument. You are not a philosophical zombie, because there is no such thing. That individual self-experience has a beginning and it can also end. Just because there is a consciousness in another body that shares the identity of Tiggum does not make it the same person I am talking to now, and I'm not willing to play word games until this suddenly ceases to be true.

Sorry, but this is the kind of reasoning I'd expect to hear from Yudkowsky's cult because they're just that obsessed with having their Nerd Rapture computer immortality be a real thing, not from someone who has any sense at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Ok, so you're just arguing on the basis of semantics, then
No I'm not. I'm not sure how you're interpreting my words so I don't know how to make it any clearer, but I'm not arguing about what things are called. I'm saying there's no such thing as a soul, no matter what you call it. The point in question is about what exists, not what we call it.

Cardiovorax posted:

You are a conscious human being. You are aware that you are currently arguing with me.
Correct. Not relevant to the point at hand, but correct.

Cardiovorax posted:

That individual self-experience has a beginning and it can also end.
That is where we disagree. What exactly are you talking about when you say "individual self-experience"? What is that? Where is it located? What is it made of? If it's a thing that exists then it must have these properties.

Cardiovorax posted:

Just because there is a consciousness in another body that shares the identity of Tiggum does not make it the same person I am talking to now
If there were a copy of me in existence right now then it would not be the person now typing these words. That's true (although I would take issue with the statement that a consciousness is in a body because that implies it's a physical thing). It's also not relevant.

Let's say there's only one of me right now. Let's say I agree to meet you at a certain place tomorrow. Between now and then, every particle in my body is replaced with an identical particle so that the "new" me doesn't even notice anything has happened. The "new" me then goes to meet you tomorrow. Have I kept my word?

If your answer is "no" then answer this: Let's I agree to meet you in ten years. Given that just about every cell in my body will have been replaced many times over by then, can I keep my word?

If your answer to those two questions is different, why?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This isn't about the ship of Theseus. Sorry, but I'm gonna do the Diogenic thing and walk out of your lecture on Zeno's Paradox. At some point, you have to acknowledge that just because you can construct an argument that internally consistent doesn't mean it's not also factually nonsense.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
we are here to read the lesswronger, not become him

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's likely that Riddle's diary was already magicked up to the gills, since it works as a pensieve despite being made of paper, and Voldemort only chose extremely significant items to be horcruxes. Memories plus a fragment of a soul plus whatever it took from Ginny...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

someone who has any sense at all.

dude you're talking to Tiggum

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cardiovorax posted:

Ok, so you're just arguing on the basis of semantics, then, instead of real things. That explains a lot.

You've just encountered praxeology in motion, my friend. Do not engage with people who are willing to deny the existence of their own subjective consciousness on pure conjecture assumed as fact.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
is tiggum really, actually arguing he's a p-zombie

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

is tiggum really, actually arguing he's a p-zombie

No. I don't know where to even begin clarifying this since I have no idea how you've reached this conclusion. That is absolutely not what I've been saying.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Didn't we just do this debate in another PYF thread?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tiggum posted:

No. I don't know where to even begin clarifying this since I have no idea how you've reached this conclusion. That is absolutely not what I've been saying.

Perhaps you should clarify in natural language if you feel people are misreading your intent.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

here is some natural language to clear up the debate: omg shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Perhaps you should clarify in natural language if you feel people are misreading your intent.

That's what I have been doing. :shrug:

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Tiggum, if you can't use your opinions responsibly we're gonna have to take them away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

Some of you are learning the wrong lessons from this fanfic.