Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Something occurred to me. Can you also ride on Alolan Persian? Come to think of it... how does happiness evolution work in Let's Go? Or do you trade Persian for Alolan Persian, rather than going through Meowth? I haven't run into a Mewoth/Persian trade yet.

I miss abilities, but it is nice to punk Gastlys with ground attacks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm wondering if this will ever interact with the larger ecosystem (Pokebank and Mainline games) given how different all of the stats are. If it is gonna be possible to export, I wonder if they'll have to run some sort of stat normalization tool (maybe you select which ones you want to have 252?)

If so, it's gonna be funny to see LGPE become the best ever EV trainer when you can just PKhex infinite candy

Speaking of, since this feeds straight into Go, it's not going to be long until we see hacked and hacked-by-proxy-because-of-items Pokemon within Go itself, too

EVs and candy stats are two separate values. Pokemon have EV values in-game but no way to earn them so they’ll remain 0. I imagine you’ll be able to transfer them out to the next game but lose all candy stats.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EVs and candy stats are two separate values. Pokemon have EV values in-game but no way to earn them so they’ll remain 0. I imagine you’ll be able to transfer them out to the next game but lose all candy stats.

Ooooh that's really interesting; I didn't know it was handled like that

That's a nice work around

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can’t even get a 2nd chain of Lapras going now because they’re not even spawning fuuuuuuuuck rare spawns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The Alolan Marowak you can get in-game is freaking worthless. It has overleveled all of its good moves, and yet, doesn't have them. You have to wait until Indigo Plateau to get the move relearner to fix it!

And he's my favorite Alolan form! :(

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm wondering if this will ever interact with the larger ecosystem (Pokebank and Mainline games) given how different all of the stats are. If it is gonna be possible to export, I wonder if they'll have to run some sort of stat normalization tool (maybe you select which ones you want to have 252?)

If so, it's gonna be funny to see LGPE become the best ever EV trainer when you can just PKhex infinite candy

Speaking of, since this feeds straight into Go, it's not going to be long until we see hacked and hacked-by-proxy-because-of-items Pokemon within Go itself, too

That would be true if it fed straight into Go.

Pokémon can be transferred from the phone to the switch, not the other way around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

400 is a ton of candy. As for his rarity, the actual transfer mechanic between Go and Let’s Go helps with it. Once a week, whenever you transfer pokemon from Go to Let’s Go, you get an item in Go that acts as a Meltan lure.

Ah, so I can get Meltan easily but Melmetal is a giant pain since it only evolves in Go.

Well, I guess I'll wait and see how the interop works out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It sounds like Let's Go is pretty fun! I like the idea of candies letting you boost weaker Pokemon up usable levels.

Honestly I kind of want to visit Kanto again. Would y'all say this is the best version of RBY so far?

Have they adjusted move pools at all? One of my biggest gripes with gen 1 is how unusable a lot of it Pokemon are. Candies plus better move pools would fix a lot of them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kirios posted:

The Alolan Marowak you can get in-game is freaking worthless. It has overleveled all of its good moves, and yet, doesn't have them. You have to wait until Indigo Plateau to get the move relearner to fix it!

Oh this stinks to hear :( Alolan Marowak is like my favorite Pokémon

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Alolan Muk is easily my favorite alolan form and I really wish I could use one here without being locked out of nicknames or grinding 7k eggs in GO. :saddowns:

Also somebody was wondering a few pages ago at how successful they're going to be at roping in GO players, this was posted in the Switch thread a few days ago:
https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/blog/2018/gotta-catch-them-all-pokemon-expands-its-console-market-by-engaging-mobile/

The takeaway is that a significant majority of people who both actively play Go and have a Switch are likely to buy in, and a further ~15% of active Go players who don't have Switches are expected to get one for it. Early sales data has apparently been a bit above expectations. It doesn't surprise me that much either anecdotally, my sister is getting let's go because she still plays go, and I have a few coworkers getting switches soon (or have recently) who are likely to get it. Let's Go is gonna be pretty drat big in a month or so, I think.

edit: I'm totally gonna use Melmetal, but I'm not gonna bother with Go beyond getting the weekly lures and catching them that way. Just way too much effort otherwise. Also Meltan/Melmetal is your guarantee that Let's Go will interact with the rest of the games eventually- there's no way Meltan/Melmetal is going to be locked into Go/Let's Go with no opportunity to transfer to Gen 8.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Solumin posted:

It sounds like Let's Go is pretty fun! I like the idea of candies letting you boost weaker Pokemon up usable levels.

Honestly I kind of want to visit Kanto again. Would y'all say this is the best version of RBY so far?

Have they adjusted move pools at all? One of my biggest gripes with gen 1 is how unusable a lot of it Pokemon are. Candies plus better move pools would fix a lot of them.

Unknown about move pools, honestly--but as far as "Is it the best version of Gen 1?" ehhhhhh it's hard to say because it's just different enough to not be easily comparable. FR/LG is absolutely the pitch perfect remake, but LGP/E has a strong case of being the most replayable

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Toxic can hit while you're on turn 1 of Dig (underground) :psyduck:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

Yes, because when used by poison types it has perfect accuracy, as it has had since gen 6. For example Swift will also hit a digging or flying opponent, or any move with No Guard.

(yeah i forgot about this too)

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

That's a mechanic change from gen 6 I think. If a poison type pokemon uses Toxic, it skips the accuracy check and always hits unless the opponent uses Protect or is straight up immune to poison.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Plasbad posted:

That's a mechanic change from gen 6 I think. If a poison type pokemon uses Toxic, it skips the accuracy check and always hits unless the opponent uses Protect or is straight up immune to poison.

I didn't know that! I've always liked poison types and I'm glad that they've been taking steps to improve their standing. Fairy type made them a lot stronger too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Solumin posted:

I would say so! FRLG drove me crazy because they're far too faithful to the originals. I've noticed some rejiggering of movepools. For example, Bulbasaur learned Vine Whip a lot earlier. Also Vine Whip is more powerful and has more PP, but that might have been a change made since Gen 1. When my Abra evolved, it learned Psybeam instead of Confusion, heck of an upgrade, that. Mega Drain also got buffed, up to base power 75. There are probably more differences, but those are some that stood out to me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What game should I play after this, I only played R,B,Y,HS,Ruby

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd say the next step from Let's Go would be Ultra Sun/Moon.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Amppelix posted:

Yes, because when used by poison types it has perfect accuracy, as it has had since gen 6. For example Swift will also hit a digging or flying opponent, or any move with No Guard.

(yeah i forgot about this too)

Swift doesn't hit a digger

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Chill Penguin posted:

It used to in gen 1.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why can Toxic be learned by almost everyone?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Everybody Poops

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I would say so! FRLG drove me crazy because they're far too faithful to the originals. I've noticed some rejiggering of movepools. For example, Bulbasaur learned Vine Whip a lot earlier. Also Vine Whip is more powerful and has more PP, but that might have been a change made since Gen 1. When my Abra evolved, it learned Psybeam instead of Confusion, heck of an upgrade, that. Mega Drain also got buffed, up to base power 75. There are probably more differences, but those are some that stood out to me.

Starting with Charmander was a lot harder in FRLG because instead of Bide, Brock had Rock Tomb which hosed all but three possible Pokemon you could catch and of those, only one had attacks that were effective on both the Geodude and Onix. Charmander did get Metal Claw, but it could still get ruined by Rock Tomb.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Honestly I just want best boy Kingler to be even better, and candies + move tutor would help there.

It looks like they did change some move sets, too.

Also 200 power Solar Beam! :swoon:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

you're right sorry, there's two types of perfect accuracy and i confused them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

Alolan Muk is easily my favorite alolan form and I really wish I could use one here without being locked out of nicknames or grinding 7k eggs in GO. :saddowns:

Also somebody was wondering a few pages ago at how successful they're going to be at roping in GO players, this was posted in the Switch thread a few days ago:
https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/blog/2018/gotta-catch-them-all-pokemon-expands-its-console-market-by-engaging-mobile/

The takeaway is that a significant majority of people who both actively play Go and have a Switch are likely to buy in, and a further ~15% of active Go players who don't have Switches are expected to get one for it. Early sales data has apparently been a bit above expectations. It doesn't surprise me that much either anecdotally, my sister is getting let's go because she still plays go, and I have a few coworkers getting switches soon (or have recently) who are likely to get it. Let's Go is gonna be pretty drat big in a month or so, I think.

edit: I'm totally gonna use Melmetal, but I'm not gonna bother with Go beyond getting the weekly lures and catching them that way. Just way too much effort otherwise. Also Meltan/Melmetal is your guarantee that Let's Go will interact with the rest of the games eventually- there's no way Meltan/Melmetal is going to be locked into Go/Let's Go with no opportunity to transfer to Gen 8.

You are going to want a bunch of Pinap berries in Go to get more Meltan Candy

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't imagine getting passed over for mascot twice sits well with anyone

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

What game should I play after this, I only played R,B,Y,HS,Ruby

The newest mainline entry is usually (I can't think of any exceptions?) the "best" one. Ultra Sun/Moon is no different; they're incredible games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
play black/white. dont play black2/white2

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm surprised Archer is in this. I think he has more screen time in this game than the game he premiered in, even.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

play black/white. dont play black2/white2

Play both imvho

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any stark differences between the Lets Go versions that I should be aware of? I thought I heard that the Pikachu version had a broken move but that is about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any stark differences between the Lets Go versions that I should be aware of? I thought I heard that the Pikachu version had a broken move but that is about it.

both of them have broken moves

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't imagine getting passed over for mascot twice sits well with anyone

Too bad Clefairy is garbage trash from a bog

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

A few different Pokemon are available in each game but the partner Pokemon is OP in each. Eevee has better type coverage since there are Water, Fire, Grass, Ice, Dark, Psychic, Fairy, and Lightning evolutions that all have an associated special move. Pikachu only gets flying and water coverage in addition to the electric type quick attack it can learn before Cerulean Gym.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kirios posted:

So what you're saying is he's true to his game of origin, where he learns his signature move at 27, but doesn't evolve until 28.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Hustlin Floh posted:

Too bad Clefairy is garbage trash from a bog

Turn your monitor on, Clefairy is a good friend from SPACE ITSELF and is the true friend to all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Any pokemon that gets focus usually gets buffed to stand alongside better pokemon

Eevee gets the Eviolite and a free +2 to everything Z-Move
Pikachu gets the Light Ball and no fewer than three Z-moves, two of which are exclusive
Greninja gets Protean
Charizard constantly gets screwed over by rocks but hey, it's now actually a dragon

Clefairy's a fairly solid support pokemon, but in games with maybe two double battles it gets heck-all

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 19, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Any pokemon that gets focus usually gets buffed to stand alongside better pokemon

Eevee gets the Eviolite and a free +2 to everything Z-Move
Pikachu gets the Light Ball and no fewer than three Z-moves, two of which are exclusive
Greninja gets Protean
Charizard constantly gets screwed over by rocks but hey, it's now actually a dragon

Clefairy's a fairly solid support pokemon, but in games with maybe two double battles it gets heck-all

I remember reading that during the R/G development, Flying was also meant to include Draconic pokemon (i.e. Charizard and possibly Gyrados and Aerodactyl) and Dragon type wasn't a thing. Tehy reversed that for the inclusion of the Dragonite line, but never granted the Dragon type to anything else as it was supposed to be special. I forget where I read this and if it was true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aaaaaand I just lose a 2nd chain to another quick escape Lapras. At this point I’ll be thrilled if I actually hit 31 with these fuckers.