Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
on the bright side we didn't get a FtP Battle Royal with Fallout assets with 2000 things to buy in the cash store. Oh boy, a "Barbie Battle Armor" for $5!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

highmodulus posted:

on the bright side we didn't get a FtP Battle Royal with Fallout assets with 2000 things to buy in the cash store. Oh boy, a "Barbie Battle Armor" for $5!

But we did get the latter half of that? We've even had the future purchasable holiday content spoiled since it was unencrypted. :confused:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Someone needs to keep a running list of all video game franchises that have been slowly destroyed by corporate meddling

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Father Wendigo posted:

But we did get the latter half of that? We've even had the future purchasable holiday content spoiled since it was unencrypted. :confused:

It's weird, the game hands out a TON of atoms, I can't really understand who the cash shop is for. Like anyone that played enough to need multiple cosmetic outfits surely plays enough to do all the daily and weekly and character challenges enough to buy whatever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is junk weighted in this game like it was before Bethesda patched it?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird, the game hands out a TON of atoms, I can't really understand who the cash shop is for. Like anyone that played enough to need multiple cosmetic outfits surely plays enough to do all the daily and weekly and character challenges enough to buy whatever.

Every paid game with a premium currency shop hands out an initial influx of premium currency, then it's either all gone or small trickles. What's the daily rate of atoms once the initial freebie/easy atom missions dry out, like 50 per day?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FourLeaf posted:

Someone needs to keep a running list of all video game franchises that have been slowly destroyed by corporate meddling

its not corporate meddling, its natural order of things right now

corporate meddling would be Bethesda not doing QA on Fallout New Vegas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Siljmonster posted:

its not corporate meddling, its natural order of things right now

corporate meddling would be Bethesda not doing QA on Fallout New Vegas

Oh I believe Bethesda genuinely tried to do QA on new Vegas, they were just abysmal at it.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh I believe Bethesda genuinely tried to do QA on new Vegas, they were just abysmal at it.

your beliefs are lies

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Siljmonster posted:

your beliefs are lies

Faith is a lie, truth is a lie. There is only oblivion in this forsaken universe.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like the game but it would definitely be better if it was just a 4 player co-op game I think. The pvp is pretty trash, just VATS targeting headshots with high powered rifles for 1 shot kills.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is anyone even bothering to cheat in this game?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i remember the kingdom deliverance guys said that the way they made their game the patch replaces entire sections and not just the part that its hosed up, maybe bethesda did the same? idk

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoctorGonzo posted:

i remember the kingdom deliverance guys said that the way they made their game the patch replaces entire sections and not just the part that its hosed up, maybe bethesda did the same? idk

its the way theyve been doing everything since Oblivion, everything is in a giant data file.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I like the game but it would definitely be better if it was just a 4 player co-op game I think. The pvp is pretty trash, just VATS targeting headshots with high powered rifles for 1 shot kills.

This, except the part about liking the game.

Similar to the way stardew valley does it, give me the same framework of a story and just let my 3 friends tag along. Hell, give me one friend tagging along.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fallout 76: Featuring Starbound exclusives

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's the same reason ESO started off as a WoW clone (and was hated for it) and why TES Legends happened after Hearthstone did so well. I'm sure Zenimax are looking for an IP in their house to force into a BR game right about now...

You joke but there's a very niche game that Arkane has kept to themselves for like a decade called The Crossing which would be the closest thing to a "battle royale" that Zenimax devs have. I wouldn't be surprised if they resurrected it in the future. Maybe that's why Raf Colantonio left Arkane after Prey.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Siljmonster posted:

Already comes with an aimbot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
yeah. bethesda as dev is loving mixed bag. yeah there games have big cool worlds with little cool stories and tons of modding potential but they also use outdated tech, glitches out the rear end, dumb main story(sometimes fun dumb) and clunky stuff. as a publisher espcialy of late, they are pretty good, they arn't afraid to let the dev teams take risks with their IPs and they are cool about pushing singleplayer games. that being said, 76 is big cluster gently caress. it seems like the world/lore and stuff is cool, its just everything else. from what i understand, they gave a rookie team, the people who made that lovely melee gilded age MOBA type game that died in production, the reigns for this thing. it feel like the game would bee decent and fun if it got enough patches, but its way to late for that now. this isn't homefront the revolution type situation. this was big AAA release attempt.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Things Fallout 76 has provided:

• That wholesome post from Tei about why optimisation is bad
  • Many a schadenfreude-filled lol

Things Fallout 76 has not provided:
  • A good game

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It frontloads a bunch but the average person has what maybe 1k? That's enough for a skin or two I wouldn't call that a ton.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Bethesda is probably already working on a battle royale mode for this game. Zenimax tried to belatedly and hastily chase the survival trend and some suit is already pointing at Fortnite to excuse the abysmal sales and reviews.

It'll launch in 6 months and *spins wheel with list of Morrowind bugs* weapon switching while attacking will crash the game.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Songbearer posted:

Things Fallout 76 has provided:

• That wholesome post from Tei about why optimisation is bad
  • Many a schadenfreude-filled lol

Things Fallout 76 has not provided:
  • A good game

things get really complex when you steal mods to run your game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so far the big names are all absent. GameInformer, IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid, Polygon, etc.

I expect most of them to be 6s or 7s, Polygon, Destructoid and IGN have both been pretty lukewarm on it (as opposed to hating it outright. Gamespot is usually really honest and ballsy, so I expect a low score from them. No idea about GI, but I think they gave The Quiet Man a 4... is this game worse than The Quiet Man?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Voice chat does lead to some amusing background commentary though

"OH [REDACTED] IT'S A LEVEL 35 ALBINO-AAAAAAAAAA!"

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone else able to run this game at an unlocked FPS after the latest patch? I use RTSS to set my max FPS to 120 fps, and disable all forms of vsync in nvidia control panel. Running at a smooth 80-120 FPS with no issues now.

Very nice!

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 19, 2018

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

There is also the option of LOTR:O and Star Trek online where the game keeps living foreverish in a pseudo-zombie state as F2P MMORPG.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
a fidget spinner but the three arms represent the pip boy trinity of rapscallious glee, coy vigor, and unperturbable vim

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Siljmonster posted:

Haven't seen any explicit cheaters, but I've seen a few level 100+ players already which assumes exp cheesing or exploits. Not that you expected a serious answer though.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Prophecy120 posted:

Haven't seen any explicit cheaters, but I've seen a few level 100+ players already which assumes exp cheesing or exploits. Not that you expected a serious answer though.

nah generally curious if anyones done any crazy exploiting, from what i see the junk economy is endless and barely anything gets used in any form well

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

DoctorGonzo posted:

that explains why the patches are bigger than the game :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Voice chat does lead to some amusing background commentary though

"OH [REDACTED] IT'S A LEVEL 35 ALBINO-AAAAAAAAAA!"

I did this yesterday when I was scouting for a new camp location for my group

"drat, the far west river is the map border, can't go across here."
minutes pass
"Found an island I can cross to."
Location found: Deathclaw Island
"Oh poo poo it's called Deathclaw Island. Maybe it's just a name"
Deathclaw roars
"gently caress IT'S NOT JUST A NAME IT'S NOT JUST A NAAAAAME"

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
bethesda has those big data files for everything, so if a model gets adjusted or a new texture gets added, the whole file has to be updated

this makes patching incredibly hard and tedious and expensive, so thats why bethesda doesnt bother
they have their own pc platform now so they dont care and theyd gladly pay the fees to see how much money this makes

bungie did near the same thing for destiny, but the difficult part was them actually patching the game, not players receiving the updates without huge files

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Can confirm there is no longer a enforced FPS cap, not sure what the official cap is but I can get 280+ FPS with ini edits again.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I did this yesterday when I was scouting for a new camp location for my group

"drat, the far west river is the map border, can't go across here."
minutes pass
"Found an island I can cross to."
Location found: Deathclaw Island
"Oh poo poo it's called Deathclaw Island. Maybe it's just a name"
Deathclaw roars
"gently caress IT'S NOT JUST A NAME IT'S NOT JUST A NAAAAAME"

Can you mark that on a map? Deathclaws give great loot.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fallout 76:

HORMELCHILI posted:

Its only marginally worse than fallout 4 or 3

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's "Wheeling Island" in the top-left corner

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhymenoserous posted:

West of Tyler County Fairgrounds and Transmission Station 1AT-UO3, towards the upper west of the map

It's the only island in the river

Interactive Appalachia Map

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

To their credit, Bethesda let me return the game after a couple days of getting a character up to Level 18 and realizing I was really disappointed and wouldn't be coming back to the game any time soon.

Hopefully everybody who has decided the game isn't for them can get the same support. Of course, getting a refund was pretty much the only way I would ever install the Bethesda game client again, so it's still a good investment by them for all their future games.

Edit: Does running the game at higher than 63 FPS still cause new, game-breaking physics issues (not the normal physics issues)?