Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

syscall girl posted:

I was a little late to the Joe game but I did end up with the one modeled after the A-10. By that point they'd abandoned Uber patriotic colors for day-glo though so it looked like something Khadafi would fly.

They made the A-10s in Blue, Grey, and then in the late 90s went all neon tiger stripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Yeah. It was the Cobra Rattler, Cobra's go-to plane. The Joes used a F-14 Tomcat which I think they called the Sky Striker.

Near the end of GI Joe popularity they started re-releasing a lot of the older vehicles with the new paint-jobs in an attempt to keep the train going (and a lot of enemy vehicles were now orange and belonged to the good-guys and vice versa).

It was right around that time I discovered girls...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

JnnyThndrs posted:

Everything about the SR-71 is completely badass.

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

The SR-71 in person is beautiful. One of the sexiest planes ever made. It's just a camera with an engine attached. They are bigger than you think and just scream speed when you look at them in person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stonk:

Someone paint snake skin on this thing ASAP!

edit:
Well I'll be goddamned. I knew that plane was too cool to not have some basis in reality.

It’s an interesting plane.

It is unstable in flight by design. Most aircraft default to flying straight and level and want to stay that way. The X‐29 is different. When it starts to pitch down the tiniest bit, it wants to continue and accelerate that pitch.

So how does it not crash into the ground at the drop of a hat? Computers (triply redundant) correct for any deviation before it gets out of hand. That is, unless the pilot is commanding it to go that direction. Then the computers will let the pitch accelerate. This makes the plane extremely manœuverable, which is a great feature for a military æroplane to have.

fakeedit: Or at leat that was the theory. Apparently it didn’t quite live up to promises.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Jesus, until I saw this I legit thought the guy who got knocked out gave himself an uppercut, it was so goddamn fast

He kinda did. Look how much momentum he is swaying his head with, he basically just rammed his chin full force into a left hook. Really loving good ring awareness to catch that movement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s an interesting plane.

It is unstable in flight by design. Most aircraft default to flying straight and level and want to stay that way. The X‐29 is different. When it starts to pitch down the tiniest bit, it wants to continue and accelerate that pitch.

So how does it not crash into the ground at the drop of a hat? Computers (triply redundant) correct for any deviation before it gets out of hand. That is, unless the pilot is commanding it to go that direction. Then the computers will let the pitch accelerate. This makes the plane extremely manœuverable, which is a great feature for a military æroplane to have.

fakeedit: Or at leat that was the theory. Apparently it didn’t quite live up to promises.

This is a feature of all modern jet fighters. They are designed to be twitchy and unstable in flight, corrected for by computer, to make them extra maneuverable.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Note that "modern" means "since the 70s" in this case. The X29 was a reverse sweep wing test plane, and those are unstable, but the instability was not anything new. The issue was that the forward swept wings respond to maneuvering loads incredibly poorly, since as with all wings they flex. But normal wings tend to dampen movement, as the tip is at the back of the wing, so when it flexes up the aerodynamics want to push the plane back down. When a reverse sweep wing flexes up the tips, at the front of the wing, will instead try to make the plane turn tighter. That will in turn make the wings flex more, and will continue until you rip the wings of the airframe.

This was not considered a desirable feature.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

mostlygray posted:

My father in law was in the Air Force in photographic intelligence during the Vietnam war in the '60's. We went to the SAC museum together a few years ago. He had a crazy story about every plane. Too many to mention. He mostly did reviews of SR-71 photography. We watched the movie "Flight of the Intruder" together and he recognized the map that is shown in the ready room and agreed that "Yes, we bombed those places obsessively, but there was nothing there. Also, that bridge got bombed on every run and they'd have it rebuilt in a day." He had the same frustration as the pilots. Him on intelligence, them on getting their asses shot off. It was a political deal at the time.

The SR-71 in person is beautiful. One of the sexiest planes ever made. It's just a camera with an engine attached. They are bigger than you think and just scream speed when you look at them in person.

Bullshit. Give it a go.

E: Mate

Automatic Retard has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Nov 17, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I once saw an SR71 take off at dusk with afterburners on (after an air show in Norfolk) and it was one of the most awesome aviation sights I’ve seen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I once saw an SR71 take off at dusk with afterburners on (after an air show in Norfolk) and it was one of the most awesome aviation sights I’ve seen.

mach diamonds are like the sickest thing ever

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

drat. That's awesome.

One of my earliest memories (though I might have made it up in my head, though my parents have confirmed it happened) was being at an airshow, in a pushchair, next to an Avro Vulcan taking off.

Had ear defenders on, went into hysterics. Those things were incredible.

Not all too stealthy, mind. Though apparently when they bombed Port Stanley airfield during the Falklands the Argentinians thought it was some sort of missile attack since they couldn't work out where the bombs were coming from, and there was nowhere for the Brits to have sent bombers from (they flew over 12000km from the Ascension Islands to do it)

Edit: for reference. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY
Our Brit planes might not be as impressive as stuff like the SR71 but between this and the spitfire we do make nice sounding aircraft.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Nov 17, 2018

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Roblo posted:

drat. That's awesome.

One of my earliest memories (though I might have made it up in my head, though my parents have confirmed it happened) was being at an airshow, in a pushchair, next to an Avro Vulcan taking off.

Had ear defenders on, went into hysterics. Those things were incredible.

Not all too stealthy, mind. Though apparently when they bombed Port Stanley airfield during the Falklands the Argentinians thought it was some sort of missile attack since they couldn't work out where the bombs were coming from, and there was nowhere for the Brits to have sent bombers from (they flew over 12000km from the Ascension Islands to do it)

Edit: for reference. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY
Our Brit planes might not be as impressive as stuff like the SR71 but between this and the spitfire we do make nice sounding aircraft.

That Vulcan is parked up the road from me; was a hell of a thing to watch it do donuts over the village when it was still flying.

We actually played a outdoor festival at a pub just off the end of that runway and they asked us to make sure we stopped playing for a bit during the scheduled launch times as there were a lot of spotters out to see it l. I pointed out that our PA was probably not going to be in any danger of drowning out a low pass from that thing. Grounded again now, but can still hear it winding up from here when they do the occasional dry run.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I love the Vulcan, especially when you consider its an aircraft from the mid 50s. Its really not that bad at all.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Automatic Retard posted:

Bullshit. Give it a go.

E: Mate

Also too many to recall. Some were quite boring. Here's a couple that I remember.

He was taking a stroll down the runway at his base. He liked to make a full lap all the way to the end and around just to get a little exercise. As he gets to the end of the runway, he hears a B-58 coming down the runway. He looks behind him and sees the plane coming towards him.
He jogs across the end of the runway and looks back and the plane is gone. Just disappeared. He can still hear it so he looks straight up and there it is. Climbing almost vertical. It was only a spot in the sky. Just gone. I've tried to find videos of B-58s doing that kind of a takeoff but I haven't found one.

In the 60's when they were just starting to do satellite photography, they would launch the satellite, let it make a few laps of the earth, then snag it in the air with a C-130 when it came back down. They'd then develop the film and analyze it. One of the shots that he looked at was so detailed that you could tell what tools were in the back of a truck on a Russian base. I didn't think we had that poo poo until the 80's.

For SR-71 photography, when the picture was at an angle, they were able to count how many Russians were assisting the NVA by their height. That's pretty clever.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://ve.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_phd4x1uWbz1r868el.mp4

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

This feels like it could be one of those "there's got to be a better way" commercials.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Stuff like that is cool as a circus trick but a similar gif of someone shooting a distant target with a 100 pound longbow would be more bad rear end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Drive bys are getting weird

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Ok. Close thread. Wow.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Head cheese.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Fat the powers that be!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

this guy fucks

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Head cheese.

The Sissi cheese special.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:bahgawd: "Say my name."
:stonk: "Cheeseburger."
:bahgawd: "You're goddamn right."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DEJA VU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Taken from Earth Science Picture of the Day.

Two photos of the moon taken at the same time, from the northern and southern hemisphere 10,000km apart, during twilight.

I knew that the moon appears upside down when viewed from different hemispheres, but never realised the actual phase of the moon could change as well. I mean, the moon is 300,000km away, but the photos were taken 1/30th that distance apart.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Two photos of the moon taken at the same time, from the northern and southern hemisphere 10,000km apart, during twilight.

I knew that the moon appears upside down when viewed from different hemispheres, but never realised the actual phase of the moon could change as well. I mean, the moon is 300,000km away, but the photos were taken 1/30th that distance apart.

What's cool to me is that you can orient the two pics by aligning the star/planet and moon, and figure out roughly what the difference of latitude is.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wasabi the J posted:

What's cool to me is that you can orient the two pics by aligning the star/planet and moon, and figure out roughly what the difference of latitude is.

General rule: anything bright enough that it and the moon are the only visible objects is in our solar system.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The phase of the moon isn't changed, both of those are waning (I think) crescent. You can just see the shadowed section of the moon easier in the bottom one because it's higher and doesn't have as much atmospheric attenuation.

Still cool as hell.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cIlr-LcFsI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And he'll never be "... and you did all that without the only superstar talent in your band dying and forcing you to think of something else to do" cool.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Jedit posted:

And he'll never be "... and you did all that without the only superstar talent in your band dying and forcing you to think of something else to do" cool.

i think he'll survive, ya dweeblord

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm not cool to begin with

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

The phase of the moon isn't changed, both of those are waning (I think) crescent. You can just see the shadowed section of the moon easier in the bottom one because it's higher and doesn't have as much atmospheric attenuation.

Still cool as hell.

Yeah, thought it had to be some artefact of how the pictures were taken.

Also, proof the Earth is round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This format makes Brian May seem lame