Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

The one that adds 1x2, 1x3, and curtains? Or the one that adds blast doors? Or are those the same? I use both, so... Guests have been having difficulty with doors, maybe, but not colonists. Can you post a modlist and a debug log from your game for me? I'm trying to track this down, it's a real pain in the rear end - my current colony was going fine until people started flipping out. I've also had parties start to go on way too long. I suspect it's Psychology affecting how the game makes pawn AI work when two pawns interact socially.

I’ve since stopped using that mod as well as door lock mod because I decided those were the two screwy ones.

I would notice that pawns - including animals - would start behaving strangely even if I thought their pathing shouldn’t go through those variably locked and or new door types. Upon removing the door lock mod and or the new doors, or changing pawn restrictions, suddenly they’d remember to do something.

Current colony hasn’t had that problem, so I can’t get you the modlist or error log for the colonies where it did happen.

Edit: For surgeries I use I think Better Pawn Management and it can allowing expanding of work tab so you can put “1” medical but then under medical subheading remove surgery on the idiot pawns and remove feeding patients and talking to them from the star surgeons.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dragongem posted:

Question - I'm currently making all of my rooms into one giant, indoor base. Can I make a single HVAC room with a bunch of coolers and vents to keep the entire place at room temperature, or do i need to space them around the complex?
Yes, but it's probably best if your "HVAC room" is actually a central hallway. Temperature moves from room to room (not tile to tile), so you can have every room you want to cool be "next to" your hvac room if it's the hallway.

You can vent heat into an interior unroofed room for easy dispensing if needed. My personal favorite variant of this is to have a mountain base where you find a small opening that isn't overhead mountain, then vent excess heat there. You can place your mortar battery there too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

HelloSailorSign posted:

Edit: For surgeries I use I think Better Pawn Management and it can allowing expanding of work tab so you can put “1” medical but then under medical subheading remove surgery on the idiot pawns and remove feeding patients and talking to them from the star surgeons.

Yeah vanilla work priorities are not really granular enough, e.g. if you have any floor/wall smoothing queued up then repairs will be ignored until all smoothing is complete, so you either have to redo all the smoothing designations or micromanage prioritizing individual repairs.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
On the other end of the spectrum fluffy's work tab mod is terrifyingly granular.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Rimworld has a system called "Lords" which is used to organize groups of pawns in tandem. Caravans use it. Raids use it. Parties use it. Mods like Psychology use it, including for things like "hanging out" and elections. If you open the error log, you're probably going to see something like this in it:

code:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Verse.AI.Group.Lord.LordTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at Verse.AI.Group.LordManager.LordManagerTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at Verse.Map.MapPostTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
That's the source of your problem. Lords (except for raids) normally end on their own simply by reaching a time limit, whereafter the Lord disbands and the caravan leaves the map, or your colonists go back to work. If the Lord can't tick, then time can't pass for it, and they will just keep doing what they're doing forever. The only makeshift solution is to do something that ends the Lord prematurely, like having a pawn take damage or die or have a raid arrive.

This error seems to have become more common in 1.0, there's been a lot of people reporting it. Conceivably, any mod could cause it that makes code changes, so nobody knows why it's happening. It is indeed piss annoying.

It looks like I'll have to dev my way around it each time then. Thanks for dissecting and revealing!

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

On the other end of the spectrum fluffy's work tab mod is terrifyingly granular.

No kidding, it covers everything. The copy/paste feature makes it somewhat bearable when setting policies for new colonists once you've spent the time getting it worked out. That said, the default priorities should really have repairing set higher compared to most construction jobs or just be a separate priority checkbox.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Fluffy's Research Tree is such an obvious, flawless improvement to the vanilla game that I often forget it's a mod at all. I've all but completely forgotten what the vanilla Research tab looks like, I just remember it sucks by comparison.
I tried that out. If you have a hundred plus mods with a bunch of them adding entire mini-trees of tech, that tab becomes a giant horror that's impossible to navigate. I actually like the vanilla one better. For just a couple mods though it does look like it'd be pretty good.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Anyone know why my apparel armor stats in the pawn info screen are different from the apparel armor stats in the gear screen?

I see it's just adding up my traits and health conditions. Is it just a display thing? The one in the stat screen just shows any additional armor values?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I just fired this up for 1.0 after a long hiatus. I'm in a coastal mountain boreal map with 20 growing days. It gets about -15 F in deep of winter, and spends 2/3rds of the time at or below freezing. The top quarter of the map is solid mountain and the bottom quarter of the map is deep ocean and now people can actually move/swim in the ocean and they get wet now which is a new mechanic to me.

Anyway half the time guests try and leave through the bottom entrance of the map and since I am boreal and its always cold this leads to many deaths through hypothermia and drowning considering people get wet and this appropriately accelerates hypothermia. Which can be pretty annoying for friendly factions, but I find this rather funny actually when a raid spawns down in the ocean and they wade around for like one min until 2 become incapacitated through hypothermia and then subsequently drown and then the rest flee off into the ocean.

So I have a pretty cool ocean front mountain fort (the colony is actually built into a mountain that extends into the ocean) that frequently has a bunch of corpses floating in the surf. Though it sucks that my colonist cant go get any of that loot either because they would also get wet, freeze, and drown. The first time it happened I was pretty surprised as I did not know raids would spawn from the ocean, but apparently there must be sea faring boats that wait off shore for raids, but no dingys to bring in raiders so they got to wade/swim in.

Really liking these 1.0 changes.

a little bit of silver just sitting in the waves to tempt travelers to their freezing watery doom.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Gantolandon posted:

The one thing that annoys me immensely is that when you schedule an operation, you can't restrict who can perform it and where. It sucks to lose a bionic spine because somehow instead of the professional surgeon, the guy performing the operation is the guy on alcohol withdrawal with Medical 5, who you empowered to stabilize your dying cow and promptly forgot about. And instead of using your sterile hospital, he prefers to perform the operation in the patient's flea-infested dog leather bedroll in a vomit-coated, dark room.

Restrict your surgeon, patient and part in a room and seal the door

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My doctor got into a social fight with another colonist and they punched the other person's arm off :stare:

Well, destroyed their arm, not a full dismemberment, but jesus.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Surgical precision you could say.

I had a colonist masticate both of another colonist's ears completely off in one fight.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The best reason to have a mod like The Birds And The Bees, which adds genitals, is seeing the hilarious ways they inevitably get chopped off.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Rim of Madness/Call of Cthulu mod question:

Is it a foregone conclusion that The Agency eventually discovers your cult? I'm also playing with the Hospitality mod and I'm wondering if I should disable it so visitors don't stumble into my altar and forbidden knowledge research table.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

moot the hopple posted:

Rim of Madness/Call of Cthulu mod question:

Is it a foregone conclusion that The Agency eventually discovers your cult? I'm also playing with the Hospitality mod and I'm wondering if I should disable it so visitors don't stumble into my altar and forbidden knowledge research table.

The Agency will go apeshit on you if they discover either a Grimoire, an Occult Research Table, or an altar. Once you get around to setting up a temple for worship it's basically a given that visitors will blunder in there at some point, yes.

The Agency hating you isn't that bad; they're about on par with a pirate faction in danger level, and more prisoners for the altar never hurts.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Which can be pretty annoying for friendly factions, but I find this rather funny actually when a raid spawns down in the ocean and they wade around for like one min until 2 become incapacitated through hypothermia and then subsequently drown and then the rest flee off into the ocean.

So I have a pretty cool ocean front mountain fort (the colony is actually built into a mountain that extends into the ocean) that frequently has a bunch of corpses floating in the surf.

This has kind of happened to me, but in a slightly warmer climate. Basically my northern border is a beachfront, which I’ve filled with razor wire (might be from a mod) and spike traps. I also built a number of sandbag bunkers with mortars and gun emplacements trained on the beach. It’s like my own little Atlantic Wall. The first time a large group of pirates attacked from the sea, it basically turned into the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan. I haven’t been playing this game long but I am absolutely here for it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Are sappers dedicated enough to blast the a 4 tile thick wall and also natural mountainside? If not my base is very well secured at two major natural choke points and I look forward to expanding on my Death Bunker

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They'll sap the shortest possible route into your base.

If that route is an 8 block thick plasteel wall, then those fuckers are gonna dig.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They dig ridiculously quickly, too, so that plasteel won't hold for long.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Shortest as in as the crow flies? Not time? Does putting gaps in between the layers gently caress with their AI? I guess I should line it with IEDs too.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When taking prisoners on long haul expeditions, make sure you strip them when you get home.

Otherwise one might smuggle a doomsday rocket which makes jailbreaks very interesting.

RIP Sammy, Ceilleigh, Caper, Grant, Jumper, Amy and Speaker-D.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wrr posted:

Shortest as in as the crow flies? Not time? Does putting gaps in between the layers gently caress with their AI? I guess I should line it with IEDs too.

It's a straight line, more or less, which leads to some spectacularly dumb routes sometimes, e.g. them choosing to dig a tunnel through 100 tiles of granite rather than walk through an open corridor a little bit off from their preferred path.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it true that raiders eventually “learn” where you traps are?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jay Rust posted:

yeah if a raider pawn sees one go off and then escapes it's marked as learned

you can just move it one square to the side

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
How does that work now that traps have to be completely rebuilt after they fire?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I think that's not really relevant any more since vanilla traps are destroyed once they are tripped.
e: I mean I've never seen raiders avoid trap locations really so idk :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

People don't usually put traps where raiders can walk around them, anyway

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Actually I always do this rev, although you can cheese it with doors (and I do that for predators/wild grazers)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

The one thing that annoys me immensely is that when you schedule an operation, you can't restrict who can perform it and where. It sucks to lose a bionic spine because somehow instead of the professional surgeon, the guy performing the operation is the guy on alcohol withdrawal with Medical 5, who you empowered to stabilize your dying cow and promptly forgot about. And instead of using your sterile hospital, he prefers to perform the operation in the patient's flea-infested dog leather bedroll in a vomit-coated, dark room.

If you don't like the Work Tab solution, search for "Quality Surgeon."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Coolguye posted:

yeah if a raider pawn sees one go off and then escapes it's marked as learned

you can just move it one square to the side
I thought this was removed for 1.0 after traps were made single use

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
possibly? i haven't seen a comment on it from tynan.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So my latest transaction with a combat supplier just took a turn for the bette psycho clown vietnam posse:

I love this game sometimes :D

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My sculptor keeps making sculptures about the previous sculptures she made

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ShadowHawk posted:

My sculptor keeps making sculptures about the previous sculptures she made

Unrestrict the colony's drug usage.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Got an infestation, thought I'd be clever and burn them out by having a pawn tossing a ton of Molotovs at the door to the room they were staying in. Burnt down half my base and killed most my pawns from heat stroke.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ahh but did you kill the infestation?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Unrestrict the colony's drug usage.

if there's actually a causation effect there I'll be laughing my rear end off. It's the Brain Johnson effect :haw:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So in my current Rimworld of Magic playthrough I've moved from defending the base at the PALADIN'S CORNER to defending the base at the CORPSE PIT.

I basically pile all the corpses I create in a muddy pit that's the only entrance to my base. When raiders finally manage to get in, I just raise a dozen zombies out of the mass and let them tear the raiders to pieces.

Yesterday a poor raid had to go into the CORPSE PIT at night in the middle of a thunderstorm and I almost felt pity for the horror they were about to experience.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tias posted:

if there's actually a causation effect there I'll be laughing my rear end off. It's the Brain Johnson effect :haw:

There isn't, but events of drunkenness and vomiting are both valid subjects for artistic endeavors (full list here) , so making them more common might get your sculpters to depict something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

There isn't, but events of drunkenness and vomiting are both valid subjects for artistic endeavors (full list here) , so making them more common might get your sculpters to depict something else.

Yeah, but we were talking about a scultor only sculpting about his own former sculptures - which, in real life, is usually a sign that the self-referencing artist has run out of steam, often due to drug use :haw: