Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm also admittedly scratching my head at the idea that Something Awful is some bastion of radical leftism, presumably because of all the Gritty memes in PYF and the fact that you can get probated for calling people "retards" I guess. Sentiments like "comicsgate sucks" and "people on the internet are way lovely to women and minorities, including those involved in creative fields like comics" is pretty regular garden-variety leftism of the "water is wet" variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Why does that Squirrel Girl have crosses as weapons, thats some korean mmo rear end art school

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Why does that Squirrel Girl have crosses as weapons, thats some korean mmo rear end art school

its Makoto from BlazBlue, every BlazBlue character is a design that was rejected from Guilty Gear for being poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Maher is racist, homophobic, transphobic and I'm very willing to believe endless Mike's assertion that he's misogynist, so if you willingly listen to his stuff on the regular maybe you're just a piece of poo poo

During the 2016 campaign he claimed that Hillary was crying to "get her way" and when that football player choked out Tila Tequila his response was something like "I'm surprised no one had choked that bitch sooner."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He also apparently does not believe in germ theory

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also apparently does not believe in germ theory

How can you not believe in germ theory? What is literally the alternative? Little gremlins living in your blood making you sick at irregular internals to reach a sickness quota to appease Nurgle, God of chaos, decay, and disease?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Covok posted:

How can you not believe in germ theory? What is literally the alternative? Little gremlins living in your blood making you sick at irregular internals to reach a sickness quota to appease Nurgle, God of chaos, decay, and disease?
Foul miasmas and imbalances of the four humours.

Maher is also the last man alive who thinks hanging out at the Playboy Mansion is a cool and awesome thing to do (and not seedy or creepy).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=941704&postcount=23

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FMguru posted:

Foul miasmas and imbalances of the four humours.

I would hate to be his doctor.

quote:

Maher is also the last man alive who thinks hanging out at the Playboy Mansion is a cool and awesome thing to do (and not seedy or creepy).

I mean, it is creepy but he's hardly the last man alive who thinks its cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Holy loving poo poo. Even children understand germ theory.

Holy gently caress.

This isn't skeptiscm, it's the inability to be a functional adult.

We can literally SEE germs under a microscope and literallt SEE them attacking healthy cells.

Holy poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Covok posted:

Little gremlins living in your blood making you sick at irregular internals to reach a sickness quota to appease Nurgle, God of chaos, decay, and disease?

This is what I believe now.

Yeah Maher is real piece of poo poo. In my shameful past I was the same brand of vaguely left edgelord and i'm pretty happy i'm not that guy anymore.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dreqqus posted:

This is what I believe now.

Yeah Maher is real piece of poo poo. In my shameful past I was the same brand of vaguely left edgelord and i'm pretty happy i'm not that guy anymore.

Here's a somewhat happy derail, but this is essentially the "archeus" theory of 17th century "chemical physician" George Thomson. Was he correct? Lord no, but he was an important intermediate step in getting medicine out from the shadow of Galenic theory. You can read all about it in his 1666 book, Loimotomia, or, the Pest Anatomized.

Captain Rufus posted:

Im not spinning it. The dude has some stupid rear end viewpoints just like we all do. (Except he has more money than us because TV show and can blab em on the air. He does get booed sometimes and acts butthurt about it.) I'm not even saying his opinions are legit or that I agree with them. I find a lot of them dumb just like the dude from Loveline and the Man Show. But I listen to the podcast version of the show. And by non current SA standards the dude is still a boogeyman of the Right to the point that insane bomb maker had Maher on his list. (At least he claimed as such.)

Talking poo poo about Stan Lee is still hosed though and I think we can all agree about that. (I know its shocking but we all more or less agree with each other itt.) Jack Kirby and Ditko might have had other opinions of course but we don't and now sadly won't know the full truth. :smith:

Vvvv well yeah the Right is full of dumb people. Its dummies, dupes, and assholes more or less. But SA is VERY hard left compared to the mainstream USA right now. I have had actual people irl call me a liberal like its some slur im supposed to be upset by as opposed to amused by. Also see when I felt i finally arrived on youtube when someone called me a cuck sjw. It gives me the giggles. Whereas some of yall itt think I am probably reading Weekly Standard or something when I really want to smack most Republicans with a large dildo. Its a matter of perspective I think. Vvvvv

You seem to be having some difficulties figuring out why you're experiencing some pushback or resistance from this thread and I want you to read your posts carefully-- like, not for what you intended or what you "meant" to say, but for what you actually wrote, a close reading. And if this strikes you as an exercise in pointing out microaggressions or whatever, well, it is an exercise in pointing out microaggressions, because you're essentially tracking mud through a thread and instead of taking your shoes off and leaving them in the doorway you're rolling your eyes and defending mud.

Many people in this thread, especially many of the more vocal and active people, are actually in marginalized groups that either face harm from right wing groups, or have historically been wedged out from full participation in various parts of the cultural industry by prejudice. So for us, it's not really enough to be like, well, we all hate the same comicsgate guys, although that's a start-- mutual oppostion isn't the same thing as solidarity.

What this means is that when you vocally align yourself with the "middle," and take pains to distance yourself from both the far right and the "loony college tumblr SJW left" or whatever, it's sending a hostile signal, because to, say, a trans person, you never know if when somebody says "leftism run amok" they mean "you shouldn't be allowed to exist." It's very vague signaling that many people on the left and many marginalized people have learned from hard experience to read as a warning sign-- maybe when you say "VERY hard left" you mean, like, the Baader Meinhof Group but surely you can see that in 2018's cultural climate "VERY hard left" can also mean "doesn't want the planet to stew in its own juices, wants to unionize, and would rather not die of a preventable condition out of economic duress."

That's why 1) it's important (and healthy, actually really validating) to actually state what your political positions are if you're trying to jump into a conversation about politics, and 2) people are hyper-vigilant about scoping out glues when somebody does stake an avowedly "centrist" stance like the one you take in these threads.

You seem like someone who grew up in a different era of online discourse. I believe you mentioned in the last thread being taken aback when you were told not to say "sperg" anymore and acting similarly off-guard when told that "SJW" is a right-wing dogwhistle. Maybe when you started in on the internet, and the places where you used to go for online discourse, there were rougher, more laissez faire rules about what to say and what not to say. You were also probably posting largely in a sea of straight white guys who had no skin in the game if you said "retard" every five sentences. But that isn't the internet now. If you look closely at the language of your posts in this thread, you'll see lots of remnents of this earlier style of internet rhetoric, when the presumed speaker was a straight male, and when, tacitly, a good way to score points on someone was to imply their proximity to "bad" things like femininity and queerness.

So even if you have totally good intentions, this is not the time in history nor probably the space on SA to talk about smacking people with dildos, wishing them to eat a bag of dicks, railing at "snowflakes" and people being pussies, rolling your eyes at "snooty books," and so on. It doesn't play well. Referring to Bill Maher and The Man Show as cultural touchstones-- it doesn't play well because, well, those shows are profoundly alienating and offer nothing to people outside of a narrow demographic that used to monopolize mass media and is gradually starting to not do so. When you say SomethingAwful on the whole is tending towards the hard left I'm curious what you really mean and perhaps that isn't something you've really unpacked for yourself either, because I don't see SA as being far left at all so much as gently and incrementally encouraging people to not loving talk like Maddox in 2018.

You seem to be hung up on-- and perhaps for good reason-- the fact that despite you disliking many of the same people that this thread dislikes, you still get yelled at and made fun of whenever you come in here. That's a fair question and I hope I've addressed it in a fair way. I think it's mostly a matter of discourse, and a matter of positioning yourself as a subject. When people call you a "liberal" as "a slur" in real life, maybe the fact that you're amused by it and not curious about why that happened is indicative of the luxury of distance, something you definitely seem to be afforded. For a lot of people, liberal is a negative term, because it means somebody who wants to essentially talk the talk of progressivism and putting up a facile fuss against reaction, without actually giving a poo poo about class, gender, race, power, desire etc. that is to say without truly giving a poo poo about the nexus of tensions and exchanges that meaningfully constitute the category of politics. You're dealing with people from very different subject positions from yours, who have very different stakes in the issues of ComicsGate and the cultural resurgance of the right in general, and could just be significantly more mindful of respecting that those stakes are real even if you don't experience them.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
edit: double post, sorry

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Archyduke posted:

That was great and you have nothing to apologize for.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/comicsandcola/status/1064574767498432512?s=19

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I could see that being a book about education vs indoctrination, but not from that creative team using those characters. Switch it to a white kid getting ready to shoot up some place and becoming enthralled by the culture and experiences he was denied and yeah it's still insensitive as gently caress.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Archyduchess posted:

An excellent post

This is probably one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Books are cool and great, but 'illiterate suicide bomber is swayed by all those folks enjoying reading' is at the 'they hate our freedom!' level of discourse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

IronSaber posted:

This is probably one of the best posts I've read in a long time.

Archy tends to make those

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Reminder that Bill Maher is an anti-vaxxer because why not at this point.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Even the smallest of Stan Lee’s creations will be remembered decades even after I die. Nobody will give a poo poo about anything Maher has ever done years before he’s gone. If they even care now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I just want to say I appreciate this post even though I'm sure it's going to sail right over Captain Rufus' head.

X-O posted:

Even the smallest of Stan Lee’s creations will be remembered decades even after I die. Nobody will give a poo poo about anything Maher has ever done years before he’s gone. If they even care now.

Like I said earlier, the only people who really give a poo poo about Bill Maher are far-right assholes who think he somehow represents the left the way various pundits are cheerleaders for the right, even though I've never once encountered anyone who could be described as leftist who think Maher is anything but a dumb rear end in a top hat with lovely, regressive opinions. At this point if conservatives really did campaign to get Maher taken off the air it would be the first truly bipartisan thing to happen in America in decades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only person I know is a barely left of center Liberal who loves things like Amazon building half an HQ here because they will raise the value of his rental properties.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Archyduchess posted:

joehonkie posted:

That was great and you have nothing to apologize for.

Not an empty quote. Archyduchess, that was an amazing reply and introduced some ideas I hadn’t considered before in terms of internet eras of communication.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

The only person I know is a barely left of center Liberal who loves things like Amazon building half an HQ here because they will raise the value of his rental properties.

He's correct, but it means almost everyone he knows who isn't as successful as him is hosed.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Endless Mike posted:

left of center...will raise the value of his rental properties.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

X-O posted:

I legitimately hadn't heard his name til now, and still don't know who this man is or why people are interested in his opinions, so you're probably onto something there.

Edited to add: please don't tell me who he is, tia

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kojiro posted:

I legitimately hadn't heard his name til now, and still don't know who this man is or why people are interested in his opinions, so you're probably onto something there.

Edited to add: please don't tell me who he is, tia

Let's just say I find it humorous that in 25 years the only thing people might ever see with him in it is Iron Man 3.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'll always remember Maher as the scumbag from House II: The Second Story

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Let's just say I find it humorous that in 25 years the only thing people might ever see with him in it is Iron Man 3.

He was in im3?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

He was in im3?

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Maher

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Archyduchess posted:

Here's a somewhat happy derail, but this is essentially the "archeus" theory of 17th century "chemical physician" George Thomson. Was he correct? Lord no, but he was an important intermediate step in getting medicine out from the shadow of Galenic theory. You can read all about it in his 1666 book, Loimotomia, or, the Pest Anatomized.

You seem to be having some difficulties figuring out why you're experiencing some pushback or resistance from this thread and I want you to read your posts carefully-- like, not for what you intended or what you "meant" to say, but for what you actually wrote, a close reading. And if this strikes you as an exercise in pointing out microaggressions or whatever, well, it is an exercise in pointing out microaggressions, because you're essentially tracking mud through a thread and instead of taking your shoes off and leaving them in the doorway you're rolling your eyes and defending mud.

Many people in this thread, especially many of the more vocal and active people, are actually in marginalized groups that either face harm from right wing groups, or have historically been wedged out from full participation in various parts of the cultural industry by prejudice. So for us, it's not really enough to be like, well, we all hate the same comicsgate guys, although that's a start-- mutual oppostion isn't the same thing as solidarity.

What this means is that when you vocally align yourself with the "middle," and take pains to distance yourself from both the far right and the "loony college tumblr SJW left" or whatever, it's sending a hostile signal, because to, say, a trans person, you never know if when somebody says "leftism run amok" they mean "you shouldn't be allowed to exist." It's very vague signaling that many people on the left and many marginalized people have learned from hard experience to read as a warning sign-- maybe when you say "VERY hard left" you mean, like, the Baader Meinhof Group but surely you can see that in 2018's cultural climate "VERY hard left" can also mean "doesn't want the planet to stew in its own juices, wants to unionize, and would rather not die of a preventable condition out of economic duress."

That's why 1) it's important (and healthy, actually really validating) to actually state what your political positions are if you're trying to jump into a conversation about politics, and 2) people are hyper-vigilant about scoping out glues when somebody does stake an avowedly "centrist" stance like the one you take in these threads.

You seem like someone who grew up in a different era of online discourse. I believe you mentioned in the last thread being taken aback when you were told not to say "sperg" anymore and acting similarly off-guard when told that "SJW" is a right-wing dogwhistle. Maybe when you started in on the internet, and the places where you used to go for online discourse, there were rougher, more laissez faire rules about what to say and what not to say. You were also probably posting largely in a sea of straight white guys who had no skin in the game if you said "retard" every five sentences. But that isn't the internet now. If you look closely at the language of your posts in this thread, you'll see lots of remnents of this earlier style of internet rhetoric, when the presumed speaker was a straight male, and when, tacitly, a good way to score points on someone was to imply their proximity to "bad" things like femininity and queerness.

So even if you have totally good intentions, this is not the time in history nor probably the space on SA to talk about smacking people with dildos, wishing them to eat a bag of dicks, railing at "snowflakes" and people being pussies, rolling your eyes at "snooty books," and so on. It doesn't play well. Referring to Bill Maher and The Man Show as cultural touchstones-- it doesn't play well because, well, those shows are profoundly alienating and offer nothing to people outside of a narrow demographic that used to monopolize mass media and is gradually starting to not do so. When you say SomethingAwful on the whole is tending towards the hard left I'm curious what you really mean and perhaps that isn't something you've really unpacked for yourself either, because I don't see SA as being far left at all so much as gently and incrementally encouraging people to not loving talk like Maddox in 2018.

You seem to be hung up on-- and perhaps for good reason-- the fact that despite you disliking many of the same people that this thread dislikes, you still get yelled at and made fun of whenever you come in here. That's a fair question and I hope I've addressed it in a fair way. I think it's mostly a matter of discourse, and a matter of positioning yourself as a subject. When people call you a "liberal" as "a slur" in real life, maybe the fact that you're amused by it and not curious about why that happened is indicative of the luxury of distance, something you definitely seem to be afforded. For a lot of people, liberal is a negative term, because it means somebody who wants to essentially talk the talk of progressivism and putting up a facile fuss against reaction, without actually giving a poo poo about class, gender, race, power, desire etc. that is to say without truly giving a poo poo about the nexus of tensions and exchanges that meaningfully constitute the category of politics. You're dealing with people from very different subject positions from yours, who have very different stakes in the issues of ComicsGate and the cultural resurgance of the right in general, and could just be significantly more mindful of respecting that those stakes are real even if you don't experience them.

I thank you for taking the time to write your views and in a respectful manner. I don't really disagree with most of it though I do wonder where I said that the Loveline/Man Show dude was "good". But I will be honest and say I came here to SA in the mid 00s because RPGnet was becoming annoyingly hard left to the point it was making me less likely to agree with leftwing things even though by any real world (aka not online spaces where everyone agrees with each other and it ends up becoming agreeing HARDER ala what Debate and Discussion is considered to the larger SA community in general) standard I am probably to the left of most Democratic Party bigwigs in the US. Sometimes having good intentions can still lead to the worst things and one thing I absolutely despise is when the victims of abuse seem to be the biggest abusers themselves when they have the opportunity. Probably because I grew up in such a situation and its left me hosed up. (My hosed up life is different than others' hosed up lives of course and if anyone believes I have considered their pains to be irrelevant or lesser than mine I do humbly apologize as by NO means was that my intention nor was I intending to hurt anyone and I apologize if I did. Even to the abusive dickheads. I write all this long poo poo to make sure I COVER EVERYTHING so nothing can be left ambiguous but either due to my writing, people's inability/desire to read, or just most people using Passive Aggressive type speaking it doesn't always seem to come across how I want it to.)

Some people can, will, and DO get pushed away by people trying too hard and others get disillusioned when their straight and narrow world views reinforced in tiny groups don't match reality. And I don't want to see overall GOOD messages ruined by that. I know SA has this whole burning hate on for TRUTH IN THE MIDDLE or Centrism but things aren't entirely black and white ya know? It however might just be a monochrome canvas with a couple specks of dust in a corner...

I mean do any of us here that actually post approve of bigotry or homophobia or racism or misogyny or anti X marginalized group? I am pretty goddamned sure the answer is gently caress NO. Or at least I loving hope so. (We all know in the real world the answer is quite a bit different sadly. The big question is What the hell do we DO about it? Yelling at each other for mostly irrelevant things or self congratulatory echo chambers isn't changing anyone's thoughts and minds and isn't likely to even be a bit of C SPAM level group therapy.

How do we stop people IRL from being dickheads, how do we make sure others don't turn into dickheads, and how do we turn dickheads into not dickheads?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Rufus posted:

But I will be honest and say I came here to SA in the mid 00s because RPGnet was becoming annoyingly hard left

Oh my fuckin god you're one of those people.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Lefties think that everyone who doesn't agree with them is far right, and vice versa.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am so incredibly liberal and left wing. That's why I strongly dislike when people are left wing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Lefties think that everyone who doesn't agree with them is far right, and vice versa.

That's not true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Rufus posted:

But I will be honest and say I came here to SA in the mid 00s because RPGnet was becoming annoyingly hard left

Jesus loving christ.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
RPGnet: Stop using "retarded" as a pejorative and don't shove your way into a thread where women or minorities are giving their take on something to make the discussion all about you, thanks.

Every dumb rear end in a top hat who couldn't handle these very simple concepts and flamed out: Ugh, nice to see the far-left Orwellian thought-police can't handle a differing viewpoint, I'm out of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gynovore posted:

That might be the most inaccurate thing said about the left in a long time.