Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Pondex posted:

Can anyone recommend some good newer graphic novels about, I guess, contemporary issues?

I've read Joe Sacco's Palestine and Sarajevo-books and Sarah Gliddens How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, and I'm reading Nick Drsanos "Sabrina" right now.

This kind of mix of long, journalistic essay with some fiction is doing it for me right now.

John Lewis' March?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I hadn't even thought of that. It seems like that book is getting less and less speculative every day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pondex posted:

I hadn't even thought of that. It seems like that book is getting less and less speculative every day.

I know, it's a little scary. Fantastic series though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pondex posted:

Can anyone recommend some good newer graphic novels about, I guess, contemporary issues?

I've read Joe Sacco's Palestine and Sarajevo-books and Sarah Gliddens How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, and I'm reading Nick Drsanos "Sabrina" right now.

This kind of mix of long, journalistic essay with some fiction is doing it for me right now.

Just pick up any graphic novel by Guy Delisle.

John Lewis' March is also really solid so give that a look.

edit: Here are some other books sans links:

Persepolis (autobiography about a girl growing up in Iran during the revolution)
Maus
Louis Riel (about a Canadian native who fought against the Government to achieve native rights)
Rolling Blackouts (about Syria by Gliddens)
The Best We could do (about a girl and her family growing up in Vietnam during the war and their experiences moving to America).
Trinity: graphic history of the first atomic bomb (pretty self explanatory)
AD: New Orleans after the Deluge

Madkal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 19, 2018

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Transmetropolitan

(Ok not really but it feels like it gets closer every year)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondex posted:

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

John Lewis' March is also really solid so give that a look.

edit: Here are some other books sans links:

Persepolis (autobiography about a girl growing up in Iran during the revolution)
Maus

Scaramouche posted:

Transmetropolitan

Alhazred posted:

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

You realize they asked for newer graphic novels, right?

Put me down for another recommendation of March by John Lewis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this is just shining a light on how underutilized the graphic novel format is for nonfiction

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

You realize they asked for newer graphic novels, right?

Put me down for another recommendation of March by John Lewis.

The Guy Delisle stuff is all from the last 10 odd years. Also the classics never go out of style.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pondex posted:

I recently read two books by an Israeli cartoonist, Rutu Modan, Exit Wounds and The Property that I found to be pretty sensitive and subtle. Nick Drsano's Sabrina (not the teenage witch, although that's also a good comic) is super timely and a gut punch, I think it came out within the last year or so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Personal:

Pedro and Me by Judd Winick: Judd tells about his friendship with Pedro from MTV's Real World and how Pedro made him into a better person, WAY better than it sounds.

Asterios Polyp by Dave Mazzuchelli: Middle aged architect & teacher loses his apartment due to a fire and it changes his life. Visually impressive. Ambitious as poo poo.

Political:
Punk Rock Jesus by Sean Murphy: Corporation locks up a semi-willing virgin and uses alleged DNA from the shroud of turin and her egg to give "Virgin Birth" to a second coming, who eventually rebels. Heavy handed and a little one sided, but visually pretty drat great and still enjoyable.

Citizen 13660 by Mine Okubo: Memoir of Japanese intern camp survivor. Exceptional.

Incognegro by Mat Johnson: An African-American reporter who often passes for white investigates his darked skinned brother's death in 1930's Mississippi. Sad, but really good.

La Lucha: The Story of Lucha Castro and Human Rights in Mexico' by Jon Sack and Adam Shapiro: Graphic novel about Lucha Castro, an activist who fights against the lack of proper law enforcement in Juarez, where something like 90% of murders go unsolved.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Incognegro by Mat Johnson: An African-American reporter who often passes for white investigates his darked skinned brother's death in 1930's Mississippi. Sad, but really good.

There's an Incognegro sequel about the Harlem Renaissance that isn't quite as good but still fascinating. Johnson also has a fantastic novel, Pym, which is a great interrogation of Poe and Lovecraft and the role of race in the origins of American genre fiction, as well as really funny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

The Guy Delisle stuff is all from the last 10 odd years. Also the classics never go out of style.

I meant to only call out Persepolis and especially Maus, screwed up my editing.

Q: What are some Newer graphic novels
A: Something published in 1991.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Counterpoint: telling folks to check those books out is pretty much never a bad idea

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Counterpoint: telling folks to check those books out is pretty much never a bad idea

Counter counterpoint: googling "best graphic novels" will get you both of those, probably in the first link. And it's well outside what they were looking for, I loving love Spider-man and I think Ultimate Spider-man is an excellent book, but if I asked, "Hey my niece is twelve and likes superhero movies, what's a good comic about a teenage girl superhero?" Ultimate Spider-Man would be a piss poor answer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is a slightly more comprehensive list (with more recent titles):

Age of License - Lucy Knisley

quote:

Cartoonist Lucy Knisley got an opportunity that most only dream of: a travel-expenses-paid trip to Europe and Scandinavia, thanks to a book tour. An age of license is Knisley's comics travel memoir recounting her adventures. It's punctuated by whimsical visual devices; peppered with the cats she meets along the way; and, of course, features her hallmark--drawings and descriptions of food that will make your mouth water. But it's not all kittens and raclette crepes. Knisley's experiences are colored by anxieties, introspective self-inquiries, and quotidian revelations--about traveling alone in unfamiliar countries, and about her life and career.

All the answers- Kupperman

quote:

The author traces the life of his reclusive father--the once-world-famous Joel Kupperman, Quiz Kid. Now that hat his father is slipping into dementia, it means that the past he would never talk about might be erased forever. Joel Kupperman became one of the most famous children in America during World War II as one of the young geniuses on the series Quiz Kids. With the uncanny ability to perform complex math problems in his head, Joel endeared himself to audiences across the country and became a national obsession. Following a childhood spent in the public eye, Joel deliberately spent the remainder of his life removed from the world at large. This book is both a powerful father-son story and an engaging portrayal of what identity came to mean at this turning point in American history, and shows how the biggest stages in the world can overcome even the greatest of players.

Cuba: My revolution by Lockpez

Harlem Hellfighter by Brooks

quote:

In 1919, the 369th infantry regiment marched home triumphantly from World War I. They had spent more time in combat than any other American unit, never losing a foot of ground to the enemy, or a man to capture, and winning countless decorations. Though they returned as heroes, this African American unit faced tremendous discrimination, even from their own government. The Harlem Hellfighters, as the Germans called them, fought courageously on - and off - the battlefield to make Europe, and America, safe for democracy. The Harlem Hellfighters brings this history to life. From the enlistment lines in Harlem to the training camp at Spartanburg, South Carolina, to the trenches in France, Max Brooks tells the heroic story of the 369th in an action-packed and powerful tale of honor and heart.

Best of enemies by Filiu

quote:

It was an American who first described the "Barbary" lands of the Mediterranean basin as "the Middle East" - a region by which America, ever since its own revolutionary foundation, has always measured its power. Acclaimed historian Jean-Pierre Filiu and award-winning artist David B. here tell the story of the blockades, broadsides, and betrayals of this foreign affair - a wary co-dependency that, from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the Eisenhower era, and from gold to oil, has continued to define our modern world.

The plot by Eisner

quote:

The late Will Eisner, the great American master of comics, regarded this, his last work, as his most powerful. This nonfiction book in graphic-novel style examines the outrageous fabrication of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which purports to be the blueprint by Jewish leaders to take over the world. Hatched as an anti-Semitic plot by the Tsar's secret police to deflect widespread criticism of the Russian government, the forgery, first published in 1905, succeeded beyond the propagandistic ambitions of its originators; the lie became an internationally accepted truth. Presenting a pageant of historical figures including Tsar Nicholas II, Henry Ford, and Adolf Hitler, Eisner exposes the twisted history of the Protocols from nineteenth-century Russia to modern-day Klan members to Islamic fundamentalists. The plot unravels one of the most devastating hoaxes of the twentieth century.

These are just some that I have pulled from my library's catalog. I have read most of these titles and can vouch for them. Also they were written in the current century. I can try find some more if you guys want other recommendations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Transmetropolitan

Reread the whole series either during the election or right after and was shocked by how real it was

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The planet's billions of years old, man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Unmature posted:

Reread the whole series either during the election or right after and was shocked by how real it was

Yeah I reread it last night. I'm kind of letting it settle in before freaking out too much. It doesn't help that it's essentially evergreen in that respect and can be applied to any set of occurrences between it's publication and today

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I reread it last night. I'm kind of letting it settle in before freaking out too much. It doesn't help that it's essentially evergreen in that respect and can be applied to any set of occurrences between it's publication and today

Yeah I had that thought too. Like "WOW this is upsetting and will only get worse."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What about Sheriff of Babylon? I haven’t read it yet, but I hear it’s good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

What about Sheriff of Babylon? I haven’t read it yet, but I hear it’s good.

I read it recently, and it was very good. Cries out to be adapted, too.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sheriff of Babylon is very good.

If newer (well, new to being translated) books about older stuff are ok then the two Tardi' books It Was the War of the Trenches and Goddamn This War! are excellent tales about how super-lovely WW1 was for a regular soldier.

I've only finished the first Inside Moebius by Jean Giraud but it's good so far, it's about Moebius' thought processes through his characters as he tried to give up smoking pot.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 20, 2018

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Madkal posted:

Yeah, he did four travelogues and they’re all good: Shenzen, Pyongyang, Burma Chronicles, and Jerusalem. He also did Hostage, which is a first person account from a NGO worker who was kidnapped and held for ransom for four months in Russia. I think that’s the best of his topical books.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Can I suggest Pride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan?
It's about Lion's escaping a zoo during the Gulf War

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Are any of the follow-ups to 1602 Marvel good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I liked them well enough. The FF one was ok, the Spider-Man one is good, and the actual sequel was decent enough. Been a while since I read them though

radlum
May 13, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Are any of the follow-ups to 1602 Marvel good?

Peter Parquagh became lunch

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Everyone seems to call him Cap. Has he ever corrected someone he thought hadn’t earned it? Like “that’s Captain Rogers to you, boot”

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Beerdeer posted:

Everyone seems to call him Cap. Has he ever corrected someone he thought hadn’t earned it? Like “that’s Captain Rogers to you, boot”

I don’t think he ever made it past private. I remember a comic where he tells an officer that he should be saluting them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm pretty sure ranks are entirely meaningless in the marvel u considering Nick fury was a colonel and still lead an organization that gave him command over every armed forces on the planet when necessary

E: heck even cap was the head of shield at the end of Hickman's run

site fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 26, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
What site said, even if Steve Rogers was an enlisted man and was fast-tracked from Private to Captain against regulations, Bucky Barnes never rose above private and Sam Wilson wasn't ever even enlisted, to my knowledge. John Walker had no military experience when they made him Captain America, either.

Mar-Vell was actually a Captain in the Kree Space Fleet, but Carol Danvers is/was actually a colonel in the Air Force, which is several ranks higher than Captain. Monica Rambeau was a lieutenant, though maybe she got bumped up a rank when she became a superhero. I don't think most of the other Captains were ever involved with the military or law enforcement.

All of this reminds me of the dying days of WCW when they had a comedy stable of low level wrestlers who had a military theme and were called the Misfits in Action (not to be confused with the punk group the Misfits, who also wrestled for WCW concurrently). They included:

Captain Hugh G. Rection, who was later promoted to General and was the leader
Lieutenant Loco, the Latino member
Corporal Cajun, Lt. Loco's tag team partner from New Orleans
Sergeant AWOL, a German
Major Gunns, a large breasted woman
and Private Stash, who had a stoner gimmick.

This would have made the hierarchy of the group be:

1) Major Gunns (until Rection got promoted by GI Bro, who had exactly the gimmick you assume he did)
2) Captain Rection
3) Lieutnent Loco
4) Sgt. AWOL
5) Corporal Cajun
6) Private Stash

Van Hammer/Private Stash was upset at being ranked the lowest, so after he protested he was renamed (before debuting) as Major Stash, despite still having a stoner gimmick and having recently shaved his mustache. A few weeks later he left the company and a few months after that the faction ended and a few months after that the company died. I am not sure what the point of this is, other than that historically lovely wrestler Van Hammer cares/knows more about military ranks than me, Marvel's editorial, or Vince Russo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey E&C, I really got into wrestling around 1997, especially WCW (coinciding with the rise of Goldberg as an unstoppable face), and followed it through some really weird stuff, then the WCW/ECW/WWF mergers, and stuck around until 2004-ish. Watching from week to week and not following the backstage drama online, I always wondered what the hell was going on. Can you recommend a good book that goes into detail on that era, the personalities involved, and the bizarre decisions that were being made?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey E&C, I really got into wrestling around 1997, especially WCW (coinciding with the rise of Goldberg as an unstoppable face), and followed it through some really weird stuff, then the WCW/ECW/WWF mergers, and stuck around until 2004-ish. Watching from week to week and not following the backstage drama online, I always wondered what the hell was going on. Can you recommend a good book that goes into detail on that era, the personalities involved, and the bizarre decisions that were being made?

Death of wcw

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

Death of wcw

Chris Jericho's first book also goes into some detail about how it started going off the rails, although he jumped ship before Russo came on board if I remember right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fire russo 👏👏👏

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Like bobkatt said, Bryan Alvarez's Death of WCW is probably the definitive book about how WCW fell apart, though it focuses almost entirely on 1998-2001. Chris Jericho's first book A Lion's Tale obviously focuses on his career, but covers him breaking into the business circa 1990 up to his jumping from WCW to WWF in 1999.

If you like the WCW book and you're really interested in diving into that whole weird period, the most bang for your buck might be paying for a month's subscription to Wrestling Observer/Figure Four Weekly, which is the site co-run by Alvarez and Dave Meltzer. It's $12 a month (you just missed their Black Friday sale) but they've got literally thousands of newsletters and podcasts archived and you could just subscribe, download a shitload of stuff to check out, and unsub.

They were both running newsletters throughout that period; Meltzer is probably the best connected and knowledgeable US wrestling guy out there, though his newsletter is like 30,000 self-edited words a week and he definitely has his tics. Alvarez is a trained wrestler and his earlier stuff is sometimes less pure journalism and more opinions/ranting/stuff explicitly influenced by Hunter S. Thompson and "gonzo" journalism. They've also interviewed pretty much everyone involved with that time period repeatedly in the podcast archive, and Alvarez and his friends have been doing a week-by-week rewatch of Raw/Nitro for the past few years, currently up to November 1999.

Both of the big creative 'minds' behind the Death of WCW have written book(s) about that time, but both are self-serving and ahistorical, though searching through the Observer newsletters to read Meltzer doing OCD point by point refutations of each book is kind of fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I imagine Director of SHIELD is some sort of appointed position that authorizes command of whatever troops you need at a given time, similar to the Director of CIA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

They were both running newsletters throughout that period; Meltzer is probably the best connected and knowledgeable US wrestling guy out there, though his newsletter is like 30,000 self-edited words a week and he definitely has his tics. Alvarez is a trained wrestler and his earlier stuff is sometimes less pure journalism and more opinions/ranting/stuff explicitly influenced by Hunter S. Thompson and "gonzo" journalism. They've also interviewed pretty much everyone involved with that time period repeatedly in the podcast archive, and Alvarez and his friends have been doing a week-by-week rewatch of Raw/Nitro for the past few years, currently up to November 1999.

It's still shocking how bad Meltzer is at constructing a sentence when that's been his job for the last few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Death of WCW it is! Does it go into the "Monday Night Wars" and all that, and talk about the post-merger WWF? I'm interested in what was going on at WWF too.