Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Your Taint posted:

I didn't figure this one out myself but it was shown to me and now I can't unsee it.

[picture]

I can guess what I’m supposed to see but I don’t see it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weatherwax posted:

Where the gently caress is that deck from? I have never seen anything like this and I'm very much one of those dirty Europeans
What is that suit even called?

That is the "I love you" deck and now we are of one let's lick each other.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugato posted:

It's a schooner

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugato posted:

Does this help?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weatherwax posted:

But but but... I'm German...

German-style. Most of actual Germany uses french-style.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Does this help?

lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

German-style. Most of actual Germany uses french-style.

What do the French use?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Does this help?

:five:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Does this help?

Rings are on the wrong side 0/8

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

bell jar posted:

Not anymore you're not

Thank God I'm also Danish, so I have that to fall back on (unless someone is going to tell me that those freak cards from hell are also Danish)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

Rings are on the wrong side 0/8

It's upside down.

~~Magic!~~

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weatherwax posted:

Thank God I'm also Danish, so I have that to fall back on (unless someone is going to tell me that those freak cards from hell are also Danish)

I believe they’re mostly a bavarian/austrian thing

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ah, the ol' g8se.cx

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well I’m from Munich and I’ve never seen anyone use a “traditional German-style deck.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Well I’m from Munich and I’ve never seen anyone use a “traditional German-style deck.”

Dunno then, but it’s not a made-up englishism. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielkarte#Deutsches_Blatt

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Solitaire speed runners use the German localization because there’s like 15 cards.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

fruit BOO!ts posted:

oh, not in munich. more of a cologne thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

thatbastardken posted:

oh, not in munich. more of a cologne thing.

I see.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ohhh so lovely wannabe Germans... That explains it

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Watching cartoons when I was a kid I always wondered why, when a character was about to sneeze, they (or another character) would hold their index finger up underneath their nose.
I remember thinking how that would be a terrible way to contain the sneeze. Snot and gunk and germs would fly everywhere!

However, I recently learned that the finger under the nose gag was not meant to block the sneeze, but to apply pressure to the top lip. By doing so, one can actually prevent the sneeze from ever happening at all.
I've tried this trick a few times since discovering the purpose behind it, and although it works, I find it hilarious that I've become a living caricature of the silly shows I used to watch.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Weatherwax posted:

Where the gently caress is that deck from? I have never seen anything like this and I'm very much one of those dirty Europeans
What is that suit even called?

It's a William Tell deck. Super-German. Also used in Hungary. My great grandfather always played games with his friends with those cards. It's mostly trick-taking games but there are some different ones that aren't played with a 52 card deck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_playing_cards

I have my great-grandfathers deck. Its a 36 card deck. Pre-WWII Piatnik.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

However, I recently learned that the finger under the nose gag was not meant to block the sneeze, but to apply pressure to the top lip. By doing so, one can actually prevent the sneeze from ever happening at all.
I've tried this trick a few times since discovering the purpose behind it, and although it works, I find it hilarious that I've become a living caricature of the silly shows I used to watch.
Yep, press in and up and you'll stop most sneezes from happening. I remember being amazed to learn this, too. I wonder how and when this started, if it was already such a prevalent trope in the earliest modern pop culture.

Another trick to cutting sneezes off at the pass, at least in our family's experience, is to say "Bless you" during the wind-up. I don't know why, but this usually defuses the sneeze (and leaves the sneezer amusingly frustrated).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can get a similar effect by pressing your tongue upward into the roof of your mouth right under your sinus cavity just behind your front teeth

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Or you can just keep your eyes open and you won't sneeze?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My favorite movie genre has a name. It's techno-thriller, and not, as I'd previously been using, "you know, a horror movie, but it's the Internet and SCARY."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What, like Pulse?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sandra Bullock in THE NET

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Firewall, staring Harrison Ford.

Watch a confused grandpa get everything about tech and the internet incredibly wrong!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Strange visitor: *pulls out 2 1/2 floppy disk* I’m your worst nightmare

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
All the Friends episodes were titled "The one with _____".

I just reread the Far Side collection Wiener Dog Art, and it has an index in which all the letters are empty except for T, which every comic in the book described as "The one about ____". Gary Larson did it first. Neat!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My favorite movie genre has a name. It's techno-thriller, and not, as I'd previously been using, "you know, a horror movie, but it's the Internet and SCARY."

lol

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Firewall, staring Harrison Ford.

Watch a confused grandpa get everything about tech and the internet incredibly wrong!

I love that movie. :allears:

Also "Antitrust", starring Not-Bill-Gates as it's main villain.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I was thinking specifically of the movie called Cam, but those examples all work too :lol:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You mean Unfriended and Unfriended 2 too

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

stop telling my secrets

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Unfriended 2

The first one was terrible and they made a second one? :randno:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Every lovely horror movie just makes their budget as low as possible so they make money no matter what.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I remember kind of liking Unfriended even though the twist was the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rodbeard posted:

Every lovely horror movie just makes their budget as low as possible so they make money no matter what.

Low budget horror was much better when they used practical effects. Cheap cgi looks so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Driving home I passed a CVS and realized I've never once questioned what that was an acronym of.

It doesn't stand for anything anymore but it was originally "Consumer Value Stores".