Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

If someone's "longbow" is flavored as a telekinetically controlled longsword a la the Castlevania anime, does that ruin your funhaving?

Me no but the 13th level Wizard is gonna be mad the Fighter can cast Mordenkainens Sword all day for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

clusterfuck posted:

Me no but the 13th level Wizard is gonna be mad the Fighter can cast Mordenkainens Sword all day for free.

If this wizard is going to throw a tantrum for not having a monopoly on the floating weapon fantasy, do not let them know that clerics get spiritual weapon at level 3 or they might ragequit.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

clusterfuck posted:

Unless that wizard is specifically building around the "I'm the floating sword guy" gimmick, this is pretty petty.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

clusterfuck posted:

No but okay.

E: I’m more wondering if there’s some exploit I’m opening up if players can interact with an object to a greater extent than what seems the usual. Like, I’m guessing in standardised AL rules allowing 2+ interactions with one object won’t fly? So, in that environment, someone has to make a call on the basic and vague rules 5e supplies.

For example, a character can use their object interaction to uncover and then cover a marble with darkness cast on it to step away from melee without drawing an attack of opportunity.
During your action uncover the marble. During your movement cover the marble.

e: oh wait, by either they mean exclusive either. Welp!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 19, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Unless that wizard is specifically building around the "I'm the floating sword guy" gimmick, this is pretty petty.

I think it's rich even imagining the wizard being mad about one of the martial classes eating THEIR lunch on some gimmick instead of the other way around. Also isn't mordenkainen's sword strictly worse than like a 3rd level spell for no conceivable reason I forget.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Compare Mordenkainen's Sword and Bigby's Hand if you want a laugh.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The actual headscratcher is when the fighter can telekinetically control a sword and nothing else, and also requires their hands to do so, and magic bows they find turn into swords when he holds them, and can't use actual magic swords that are found with TK.

I'm all up for reskinning but it requires more thought put into it than "it's cool, why don't you want martials to have cool things?"

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

CJ posted:

If this wizard is going to throw a tantrum for not having a monopoly on the floating weapon fantasy, do not let them know that clerics get spiritual weapon at level 3 or they might ragequit.

The wizard I DM for is exactly this level of petty. They will get super mad over a party member getting to do something even close to what they can do.

Given that they can do basically everything, they seem to exist exclusively in a grumpy mood because they can't end every challenge single-handedly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

The actual headscratcher is when the fighter can telekinetically control a sword and nothing else,
They can also hurl axes and clubs. Or indeed anything, as long as it is being used to murder someone for 1d10+dex mod damage.

Conspiratiorist posted:

and also requires their hands to do so
Swooshy hand motions. That's why it's dex to hit, gotta swoosh just right.

Conspiratiorist posted:

and magic bows they find turn into swords when he holds them, and can't use actual magic swords that are found with TK.
Why would this happen? They find a sword, it's a TK sword. Find a bow, it's just a bow.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm all up for reskinning but it requires more thought put into it than "it's cool, why don't you want martials to have cool things?"
The only actual "problem" is that this fighter can perform ranged and melee attacks with the same item, and personally I don't care.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bows are 1d8.

And I mean, if they can telekinetically control most melee weapons they find with enough finesse and power to effectively use them in combat, why can they only use their telekinesis with weapons? Shouldn't they also be able to push and pull other objects? Manipulate things at a distance?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bows are 1d8.

And I mean, if they can telekinetically control most melee weapons they find with enough finesse and power to effectively use them in combat, why can they only use their telekinesis with weapons? Shouldn't they also be able to push and pull other objects? Manipulate things at a distance?

It's their special telekinetic sword. When they get a new weapon it's actually just their sword eating the new weapon to gain its abilities.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bows are 1d8.

Because they're a fighter

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DressCodeBlue posted:

Also: Equipping a shield doesn't count as "interact with object." It specifically takes a full action to do.

Unless it is a buckler? I think there was one specific shield that had the benefit of being easy to manipulate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Piell posted:

It's their special telekinetic sword. When they get a new weapon it's actually just their sword eating the new weapon to gain its abilities.

See, this closer to how you should do it, and the way I played it with my EK with the Inheritor background.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Want to play that guy and play up the laser focused telekinesis. Perform incredible feats of sword play, hurl swords hundreds of feet, look baffled wherever someone asks you to do anything else. Just blank uncomprehending stares whenever non murder based object manipulation is suggested.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

Want to play that guy and play up the laser focused telekinesis. Perform incredible feats of sword play, hurl swords hundreds of feet, look baffled wherever someone asks you to do anything else. Just blank uncomprehending stares whenever non murder based object manipulation is suggested.

Having seen something like this in play, it's extremely fun for the guy doing it and totally sucks for everyone else

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I would say it depends on what exactly the player is going for, but if they want to be a telekinetic fighter I would just give them mage hand (this is easy if they're an Eldritch Knight, otherwise make them take magic initiate or just give it to them, who cares) and then let them use mage hand to make attacks with. Maybe make them take a feat, I dunno, it isn't exactly overpowered, whatever.

I gave the Arcane Trickster in my game a dagger that lets them use mage hand to attack with it, it is exactly as effective as their short bow, maybe slightly less since it's a dagger.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

If someone's "longbow" is flavored as a telekinetically controlled longsword a la the Castlevania anime, does that ruin your funhaving?

D&D 5E has such basic math and vague setting and flavor, I can't imagine playing it survival-style where you track every ration and which free actions are used in what order to draw and stow weapons. The optimized options don't require swapping equipment anyway, it's all polearms and smites and Eldritch Blasts, so isn't swapping between the weaker choices for "coolness" not worth worrying about? If you want the best DPR, that's already a solved problem.

This is understandable. I'm of the mindest of "Flavor your Heavy Crossbow as whatever you want. Just so long as it's 1d10 pierce with the loading property"

How people interpret "Flavor vs mechanics" is very often down to people's personal gameplay preferences while TELLING themselves it's because flavor, though. Sometimes with full self awareness, and sometimes not.

Friend who will argue it's impossible to nonlethally pin people to trees with arrows robin hood trick shot style, will also argue "But a quicksilver spitting snake staff doesn't need to wait through a reloading mechanism, so it clearly can fire as often as a bow. In fact it should also deal poison damage of-". Because 'logically' that's what a combat super soaker would do compared to a crossbow right :pseudo: Even when it's coming up with things for other people.

A running trend with him is if there are physical materials primarily, they will obsess over every possible detail even if the intended game mechanics are legit fair. But if "Alchemy" or "Energy" are involved, all bets are off because infinity superior non physical damage is preferable to just shrugging and saying "You just pull *Physical Ammo* out of your rear end".

All of my friends used to have this kind of problem, but most got over it REAL fast. One who balked at the idea of reflavoring spells as anything but it's exact print words has since progressed to reflavoring poo poo into "They are devoured by a swarm of puppies" or "Their head is cut off by butterflies" style Magic Missiles.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I would say it depends on what exactly the player is going for, but if they want to be a telekinetic fighter I would just give them mage hand (this is easy if they're an Eldritch Knight, otherwise make them take magic initiate or just give it to them, who cares) and then let them use mage hand to make attacks with. Maybe make them take a feat, I dunno, it isn't exactly overpowered, whatever.

I gave the Arcane Trickster in my game a dagger that lets them use mage hand to attack with it, it is exactly as effective as their short bow, maybe slightly less since it's a dagger.

I wouldn't make them use their concentration on making ranged attacks, but it's not a bad kludge.

As long as the player just used the flying sword/dagger for attacks as if it were a bow, or to flavor things that they could do anyway (like using the sword to take the Dodge action or it deflecting attacks when they cast Shield), the worst thing I can imagine is that the flavor is too "high magic", or the player hogs the spotlight with his descriptions.

Mechanically, I'd just make the player attune to whatever he wants to fling around for a short rest so there are mechanical limits on the telekinesis.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
imo just homebrew new items or spells instead of trying to figure out how to bend pre-existing rules in a way that's still internally consistent

scabbard of the blade singer: uncommon item

a magic item made by elven blade singers, known for their flair in combat. a scabbard that has a weightless phantom sword sheathed within it. the sword can be swung as a normal longsword, or it can be flung with ease through the air. in either case, when the sword makes contact with a creature, object, or the environment, it shatters, returning to its base component, a fine magic dust. when a phantom sword is drawn from the scabbard, a new one is produced within its sheath. the scabbard is enchanted so that when it is filled with a particular type of magic dust, the dust coalesces into the form of these phantom swords. the cost for enough magic dust to fully fuel the scabbard is approximately double the cost of a quiver of arrows.

scabbard of the blade singer +1: same as above, but the phantom swords count as magical, +1 weapons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cephas posted:

imo just homebrew new items or spells instead of trying to figure out how to bend pre-existing rules in a way that's still internally consistent

a magic item made by elven blade singers, known for their flair in combat. a scabbard that has a weightless phantom sword sheathed within it. the sword can be swung as a normal longsword, or it can be flung with ease through the air. in either case, when the sword makes contact with a creature, object, or the environment, it shatters, returning to its base component, a fine magic dust. when a phantom sword is drawn from the scabbard, a new one is produced within its sheath. the scabbard is enchanted so that when it is filled with a particular type of magic dust, the dust coalesces into the form of these phantom swords. the cost for enough magic dust to fully fuel the scabbard is approximately double the cost of a quiver of arrows.

scabbard of the blade singer +1: same as above, but the phantom swords count as magical, +1 weapons.
That seems like a lot more effort and a lot less fun than "My guy can make swords hit people at range because he's cool like that".

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
fair

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My character has been turned into a vampire but I'm having trouble figuring out how do this. There are Monster Manual rules but even a vampire spawn seems a bit OP for a player controlled PC at 11 (GM says he doesn't mind if I'm full on vampire by the end of the game though).

There are a million home brew things, anyone have any experience with these or any other sort of recommendation?

I'd still like to do my bard stuff if possible because I've really enjoyed my "Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra but adventurer" thing (although I recognize that there will probably be some major personality changes over the course of the adventure, but I already was playing a NE character that was traveling around the country using his musician act as a cover for robbery) but if I have to let that stuff go I'll let it go.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 19, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is the rest of your party evil or at least very utilitarian? Are your tablemates ok with you trying to turn them into minions?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Cephas posted:

a magic item made by elven blade singers, known for their flair in combat. a scabbard that has a weightless phantom sword sheathed within it. the sword can be swung as a normal longsword, or it can be flung with ease through the air. .

That's cool, I'd make the scabbard reload from dropping one arrow in. +1 scabbard requires +1 arrows and so on. That's a good item option for our elven wizard rogue, it works.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Rick posted:

My character has been turned into a vampire but I'm having trouble figuring out how do this. There are Monster Manual rules but even a vampire spawn seems a bit OP for a player controlled PC at 11

List the pros and list the cons and arrange them on your level gain table. Make the transformation complete when the campaign is at the right level.
The DM should tailor so the benefits and drawbacks are balanced with the rest of the party, plus be clear on what's the tone tragic or comedy? Sounds fun.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Malpais Legate posted:

The wizard I DM for is exactly this level of petty.

Well, then that wizard is a problem and needs to be spoken with.

Splicer posted:

Edit: Thanks Dameius

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 20, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

mastershakeman posted:

Is the rest of your party evil or at least very utilitarian? Are your tablemates ok with you trying to turn them into minions?

They are all so chaotic that it is very hard to tell the difference, as formerly neutral evil I still had the lowest innocent life body count. And the player who seemed to be the closest thing to good just got a weapon that requires him to kill something everyday and seems to be on board with having a hunting partner.

The minion part, I'm not so sure, we think there may be a point in the not too far future where they end up killing me, or I end up killing them. I always had "probably going to end up dead before this adventure is over" in my backstory so I told them i was fine with them finishing me, leaving me, or even choosing the good, but incredibly naive NPC cleric who was with us for an in-game year at that point over me (with me re-rolling) but they wanted a vampire pal.

clusterfuck posted:

List the pros and list the cons and arrange them on your level gain table. Make the transformation complete when the campaign is at the right level.
The DM should tailor so the benefits and drawbacks are balanced with the rest of the party, plus be clear on what's the tone tragic or comedy? Sounds fun.

This is a good idea, I'll try this out. Definitely comedy.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 19, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah that sounds pretty rad. Have them help you put various kings in your thrall

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
A bit late but thanks for that explanation of the monk ability errata everyone.

Relatedly, the Contagion spell errata seems like it’s an actual balance change? Before you hit the creature and inflicted a disease against which they had three chances to save, now it looks like they’re poisoned and only get the disease if they fail three saves.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Applied as it's actually written it's a nerf. But as written, Contagion was so busted that they issued a "clarification" that instead made it largely useless. This new version is a middle ground. I probably wouldn't use it now but it's not the wreck it once was.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Applied as it's actually written it's a nerf. But as written, Contagion was so busted that they issued a "clarification" that instead made it largely useless. This new version is a middle ground. I probably wouldn't use it now but it's not the wreck it once was.

I like how the "eratta" on this is bow correcting rulings they've made via Twitter.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Rick posted:

My character has been turned into a vampire but I'm having trouble figuring out how do this. There are Monster Manual rules but even a vampire spawn seems a bit OP for a player controlled PC at 11 (GM says he doesn't mind if I'm full on vampire by the end of the game though).

There are a million home brew things, anyone have any experience with these or any other sort of recommendation?

I'd still like to do my bard stuff if possible because I've really enjoyed my "Bing Crosby/Frank Sinatra but adventurer" thing (although I recognize that there will probably be some major personality changes over the course of the adventure, but I already was playing a NE character that was traveling around the country using his musician act as a cover for robbery) but if I have to let that stuff go I'll let it go.

I know it's technically MtG-themed, but have you looked at the Vampire player races from Plane Shift: Zendikar and Ixalan? I guess that's the compromise between "being a full vampire in name" and "being balanced as a player race."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

5e has a lot of loving problems but given how casually the devs break the game from the twitter-pulpit it's kind of amazing the underlying game is as stable as it is. Like, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying 5e is stable - I'm saying that given the quality of rulings Mearls and Co make from their personal social media I'd expect the game to be full of recursive rules or have a class that literally does not function as written (like, something that expends but does not regenerate a finite resource, or a class with negative hit points.)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Well, then that wizard is a problem and needs to be spoken with.

Edit: I have no idea why the image suddenly looks terrible

Get rid of the '_d' in the URL.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

5e has a lot of loving problems but given how casually the devs break the game from the twitter-pulpit it's kind of amazing the underlying game is as stable as it is. Like, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying 5e is stable - I'm saying that given the quality of rulings Mearls and Co make from their personal social media I'd expect the game to be full of recursive rules or have a class that literally does not function as written (like, something that expends but does not regenerate a finite resource, or a class with negative hit points.)
Berserker Barbarian is close. Use your class abilities more than once a day and you will eventually kill yourself.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

Berserker Barbarian is close. Use your class abilities more than once a day and you will eventually kill yourself.

Our Barbarian is Berserker. I just gave him the Holiday Hat. He was super relieved.

quote:

Holiday Hat
While this hat is worn you are not subject to the effects of weather. If worn while taking a short rest, you may recover 1 level of exhaustion. Once the hat’s ability to recover from exhaustion is used it cannot be used again until you have completed a long rest.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
All this talk of having a telekinetic weapon makes me think of this Revised Artificer class's Infusionsmith archetype. In my Friday night game someone is playing one, and soon will be level 5 where they get the floating weapon that can make attacks up to 30 feet away as part of the attack action, in addition to the 1 attack you might make with the weapon in your hand. Then at 15th level they can grab an upgrade to get a second floating weapon.

Again the Revised Artificer is really nice, has that floating weapon archetype, an Iron Man archetype I am playing as a Warforged, an archetype where you get a Thundercannon, or Lightning Sword, an archetype with a warforged companion, an archetype to be Batman, etc.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Your attacks can be used at [range]" is pretty straightforward, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

clusterfuck posted:

Our Barbarian is Berserker. I just gave him the Holiday Hat. He was super relieved.

Cool idea.

In the last game I ran, I gave our Berserker an ability to recover a level of exhaustion by eating a big meal. No matter where the exhaustion came from. It worked out pretty well.