Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fender Anarchist posted:

Not shown: operator suffocation

nah they instagibbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Banshee, Fury, and Cutlass

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

LostCosmonaut posted:

Banshee, Fury, and Cutlass

I think if you add all three of them together you get maybe 1.1 useable fighters?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Banshee 0.7
Fury 0.8
Cutlass -0.4

The math adds up!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

They found the wreck of that Argentine submarine

Imploded on the sea bed, naturally

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

Weapons testing compilation from China Lake. There's no reason not to mute it, because the music is all bad/canned rock and the explosion sounds are patched in rather than from the tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWiSTeYUFt8

Man were you right about muting it but holy poo poo this is the best at showing insane accuracy. Straight through the hood of a car at ~40mph?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CarForumPoster posted:

Man were you right about muting it but holy poo poo this is the best at showing insane accuracy. Straight through the hood of a car at ~40mph?

I gotta assume the pickup pulling the trailer the target vehicle’s mounted on is RC, otherwise that’d be the coolest and most OSHA job in the world.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the one with the target drone engine busting loose and the fuel hose flailing around like aieeeeee

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Phanatic posted:

I gotta assume the pickup pulling the trailer the target vehicle’s mounted on is RC, otherwise that’d be the coolest and most OSHA job in the world.

They are. Even though they're not directly targeted, they still pick up some gnarly battle damage from the odd stray shot or piece of shrapnel. Especially the ones that pull targets for gun strafing runs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MrChips posted:

Banshee 0.7
Fury 0.8
Cutlass -0.4

The math adds up!

I just now learned that the F-86 was navalized.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Blistex posted:

Yeah I learnt this on the deck of the USS Intrepid a few months ago
"Wait a sec that's an F86, what's a fury?"

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CarForumPoster posted:

I had a similar thought, but mine was in response to one of the bombs going through the driver's spot. I wonder if they targeted it on purpose. Also, I wonder if they clean all that stuff up afterwards. Must be an environmental nightmare there.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Blistex posted:

I think the F-86 and most of its derivatives are some of the finest looking planes ever to fly.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hannibal posted:

I had a similar thought, but mine was in response to one of the bombs going through the driver's spot. I wonder if they targeted it on purpose. Also, I wonder if they clean all that stuff up afterwards. Must be an environmental nightmare there.

I've been to one of the blow up stuff in the desert ranges and theres definitely metal and poo poo everywhere.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Pursesnatcher posted:

Who makes a plane that's afraid of heights, anyway?

The Luftwafffe?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Blistex posted:

Splode posted:

Yeah I learnt this on the deck of the USS Intrepid a few months ago
"Wait a sec that's an F86, what's a fury?"

The Fury has a seriously convoluted family tree, to the point that calling it "a navalized Sabre" is almost selling it short. North American was working on a straight-wing jet fighter design towards the end of World War II, with versions pitched to both the Navy and the Army Air Force. War ended and they learned about the swept wing. They asked both the Navy and the AAF if they want it on their new fighter. Navy said no, Air Force said yes, so the design split in two. Navy's design was the FJ-1 Fury, the closest thing we ever got to a turbojet-powered P-51D. It was a straight-wing, and kind of crappy, so there were only a few made. Air Force's design was the XP-86, which became the F-86 Sabre we know and love. Now the Navy had been slow-walking swept wings a little bit compared to the Air Force because their slow-speed handling wasn't as good (and the Sabre's development reflected this; the leading edge of the wing went through like fifty changes to get it working right) but once the Korean War was underway they kind of changed their minds. To get the ball rolling a little quicker, they ordered some F-86Es with minimal changes. These were called the FJ-2 Fury, even though they're not all that related to the original FJ-1 anymore, but they were also kind of crappy; adding an arrestor hook, folding wings, and so forth to the F-86 increased its empty weight quite a bit, and the Sabre's J47 engine wasn't really up to the task (also its carrier handling wasn't great.) So the airframe was redesigned for the higher thrust J65 engine (as seen on the F-84F) to produce the FJ-3. The final iteration was the FJ-4, which kept the J65 but changed almost everything else - the fuselage was shorter and fatter, the tailfin was taller, the wing had a different profile, and so forth.

The easiest way to tell an FJ-2/3 from a Sabre is its stance on the ground - the Fury has a noticeably taller nose gear strut for a higher angle of attack on takeoff. The FJ-3 also has a somewhat larger intake for the new engine, but that's easy to miss. If it looks all swole it's an FJ-4.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 18, 2018

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

That Works posted:

Sounds like some of the same flights those Viggens claimed to get an intercept on

It really sounds a bit more relaxed than the white knuckle mach 5 closing rate head-on the Viggen intercept was relying on. I find it interesting they ran the intercept on the IR sensor, granted the SR-71 at full burner was probably about as easy as a target you were going to get.

Those intercepts were probably the only times the MIG-31 got to do what it was built to I'm guessing.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

I like the one with the target drone engine busting loose and the fuel hose flailing around like aieeeeee

I think the Herc pooping out missiles is great. I like to imagine some guy just pulling a pin and dropping them through the hole.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

That Works posted:

Sounds like some of the same flights those Viggens claimed to get an intercept on

The Viggen intercepts were all over the Baltic, these MiG-31 ones described here were up over Barents Sea.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

priznat posted:

At the beginning, the combination of the MANPAD (Stinger?) just neatly hitting and tearing the tail off the drone, followed by the Hellfire(?) zooming in and blowing the poo poo out of its target. And yeah, the missile just *foont*ing out of the Hercules.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
In sadder news the Pecos Bill P-51D that i've seen fly around at airshows before crashed yesterday into an apartment complex parking lot in Texas and killed the pilot and a passenger. Sounds like it may have been engine problems but the whole thing sucks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Conelrad posted:

In sadder news the Pecos Bill P-51D that i've seen fly around at airshows before crashed yesterday into an apartment complex parking lot in Texas and killed the pilot and a passenger. Sounds like it may have been engine problems but the whole thing sucks.

drat... Seen that one a few times myself. Sad news for the families.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
First PCOS Bill permaban that I’ve felt sorrow for.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

mlmp08 posted:

:drat:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

loving lmao

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

I love you.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Weapons testing compilation from China Lake. There's no reason not to mute it, because the music is all bad/canned rock and the explosion sounds are patched in rather than from the tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWiSTeYUFt8

Being a resident engineer for Raytheon at that field must be one of the best jobs.

Go to the range in the morning, drink coffee, watch poo poo blow up. Spend the afternoon watching video of poo poo blowing up while drinking coffee, file a report, send off an email or two. Go to an expensed dinner with air-crew and get 'feedback from the end-users'.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

drgitlin posted:

On a completely different topic, some Russian thinks they could definitely shoot down SR-71s with MiG-31s.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/fox...ch-3-spy-plane/

Hmmmm.

The SR-71s in that description fly one of two very specific courses that don't deviate by more than a few miles. So, the MIG pilots and ground stations know down to the minute what to do to be in the box of airspace ahead of time for the few moments they could possibly perform an intercept. In a 'weapons free' situation the SR-71s would be coming from randomized directions and flying far more varied routes. It would have been nearly impossible to intercept an SR-71 on those conditions.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Murgos posted:

The SR-71s in that description fly one of two very specific courses that don't deviate by more than a few miles. So, the MIG pilots and ground stations know down to the minute what to do to be in the box of airspace ahead of time for the few moments they could possibly perform an intercept. In a 'weapons free' situation the SR-71s would be coming from randomized directions and flying far more varied routes. It would have been nearly impossible to intercept an SR-71 on those conditions.

Weapons free like in... Yugoslavia?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

large hands posted:

Weapons free like in... Yugoslavia?

SR-71's had a shitload of actual attempted shootdowns with interceptors and SAMs over the Soviet Union that never panned out. One reason being that they didn't run the same routes or have predictable timing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The Blackbird didn’t really operate over the USSR. It operated along its borders, but flying plane as day over the USSR would be too high risk.

They did fly over soviet-era SAMs in Vietnam and Libya.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kafouille posted:

Those intercepts were probably the only times the MIG-31 got to do what it was built to I'm guessing.

Mig 31 pilot gets vector for possible SR-71 intercept.
Pulls back stick and pushes throttle all the way forwards.
Starts counting down from 15
"3. . . 2. . . 1. . . Engine overhaul time!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Trading a Mig 31’s engines for an SR-71 is a great bargain.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Trading a Mig 31’s engines for an SR-71 is a great bargain.

Then the SR-71 get's done toying with them and opens up the throttle as they watch the MIG explode from trying to keep up.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The MiG-25 was the one with the terrible engines (which is honestly a bit overdone, according to this book, page 18 the MiG-25 was limited to Mach 2.83 for structural reasons, at higher airspeeds hard maneuvers would bend the wings so much they would cause control issues), the MiG-31s engines were more reliable. Though the MiG-31 was also limited to below Mach 3.

fakeedit: per page 50 of the same book

quote:

Other sources state that it was VVS pilot Krasnogorsky who should walk away with the record (and get the 'speeding ticket'), as he reached 3,400 km/h (2,125mph) in one of the sorties. This was dangerous because the airframe could be damaged by overheating, but careful inspection of the aircraft showed no damage. Still, the pilots received an unambiguous debriefing after the incident.
So it was possibly thermal issues also.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LostCosmonaut posted:

The MiG-25 was the one with the terrible engines (which is honestly a bit overdone, according to this book, page 18 the MiG-25 was limited to Mach 2.83 for structural reasons, at higher airspeeds hard maneuvers would bend the wings so much they would cause control issues), the MiG-31s engines were more reliable. Though the MiG-31 was also limited to below Mach 3.

fakeedit: per page 50 of the same book

So it was possibly thermal issues also.

I believe the MiG-31 had something like 1 minute @ or above Mach 3 and it didn't matter how new the engines were, they had to go back to the factory to be overhauled.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I'd be curious where you got that, since that's often quoted for the Mig-25 but I cannot find anything about the 31.

Also that 'speeding ticket' at 3400km/h turns out about 3.2 mach at 60 000 feet.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kafouille posted:

I'd be curious where you got that, since that's often quoted for the Mig-25 but I cannot find anything about the 31.

Also that 'speeding ticket' at 3400km/h turns out about 3.2 mach at 60 000 feet.

Some book about test pilots I read in high school. Wikipedia says that Mach 3.2 or higher requires an engine overhaul, but I can't find a 3.0+ source.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I never see any difference listed for the interceptor being fully loaded with missiles either. Thats gotta be a few hundred knots when clean is over Mach 3.

Also the G-limit on both was ridiculously low if I remember right. Then again the SR-71 shared that trait IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The Blackbird didn’t really operate over the USSR. It operated along its borders, but flying plane as day over the USSR would be too high risk.

They did fly over soviet-era SAMs in Vietnam and Libya.

You are correct. The point remains, though.