Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ezra Miller would be a good Buster Keaton if they ever did a biopic.

Jude Law would be a good Pope Pious

...wait a drat minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYCKHlv1S3Y

Yeah, that's not an actual on-screen rape. But it's very clearly a romantic encounter Finn was extremely uncomfortable with. It was a bad thing to put in the show

It's a bad thing, but I don't think it's inappropriate to show. Sometimes people have romantic encounters that they are uncomfortable with. That happens, and it doesn't actually help anyone to hide that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, that was me, thanks. I've heard about that one - isn't that the one that got paragon of family values and moral virtue Bill Cosby so incensed he sacked the female lead from his show?

It doesn't sound like she was fired over Angel Heart, but it does feature a sex scene with her that was originally intense enough to make the movie X-rated until the director cut 10 seconds from it. Good movie, horror-noir is a genre that needs more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lisa Bonet absolutely got in trouble for Angel Heart, I remember when it came out and it was kind of a huge scandal. I don't know if "technically" she was fired over it but I'm pretty sure that was the behind the scenes reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given what we know about Cosby now, there's a lot of reasons Lisa Bonet could have been fired. I don't think it should reflect poorly on Lisa Bonet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

5d mark 2
1500 dollars body only no lenses and maybe on battery or charger.

Not as old rear end as I was expecting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ezra Miller should be thrown in the ocean

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

last time I checked he wasn't a car battery

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ezra Miller is cute but he seems to have really bad opinions

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ed Asner is still alive

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I’d see a CD poster, of all people, say the “I used to love Adventure Time and then it got bad” line

Like that is historically shorthand for “I like lol random monkeycheese humour and crazy faces and hate when it actually tries to be about things”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress Adventure Time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Buster Keaton biopic based on his autobiography would own.

Also, I checked out the Laurel & Hardy Museum in Harlem, GA last week. It's run by this old former Marine and full of memorabilia and stuff. In the back is a theater where he shows their films. When I went there, puppeteers from Croatia were visiting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But that leads us back to the distinction between sci-fi and fantasy. Sci-fi happens when you ask why you have a spaceship, how did you get the spaceship, what are the social and economic conditions of this future world that led you to think you to think space-murder is a good idea, etc.

Since you aren’t doing that, the film remains a fantasy of consequence-free violence, children fighting over toys.

Aliens using bizarre experimental technologies to ‘humanize’ animals, giving them language: cool.

It’s a metaphor for Brad Cooper’s low self-esteem: no.

Aesthetics are more interesting than speculative science fiction by a country mile.

Granted, in the case of the MCU the aesthetics are consistently awful and boring, so there's really nothing to redeem them, but the model of fantastic imagery being used to tell relatively mundane stories isn't inherently flawed.

e: I would also add that the idea that there's a clear distinction between stories about e.g. a guy's relationship with his alcoholic father on the one hand, and stories about social and economic conditions of the world on the other is a false one. The personal is political.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 20, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

last time I checked he wasn't a car battery

Hitman 2 lets you live the dream.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't know why everyone hates Ezra Miller now but I'm down

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

"Now?" You've been registered here for twelve days; whose re-reg are you?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

it's not just on SA, people on twitter hate Ezra Miller too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

maybe it's just a general now. i didn't know ezra was hated. even here people were all :allears: at all the silly things he did and said.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I don't know why I'm supposed to have an opinion on Ezra Miller; good or bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

I don't know why I'm supposed to have an opinion on Ezra Miller; good or bad.

Same

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

He's Guy Goodboy.

I only brought up Ezra Miller because some film Twitter posted of a gif of Buster Keaton and he totally reminded me of of Miller.

I'm behind on Ezra Miller news so I don't know what any recent controversy is. I saw a picture of him in some lovely puffy jacket for the Harry Potter movie premire. Is that it?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
As best as I can tell, Ezra Miller made a short film about Darren Wilson, Mike Brown's killer that appears to be sympathetic to Wilson.
But in truth he made it with a BLM activist, and the "twist" at the end of the short is that, hey, Wilson is a liar, and it's not sympathetic to him at all.
But he also said some dumb poo poo about it "healing the divide."

And also the internet is dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Reason I care about actors (I'm using actor as a gender neutral term)
1) Did they commit a crime aside from using using drugs
2) Were they in a movie I like
3) Are they going to be in a movie I'm looking forward to

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume Electronico6 is referring to Kurosawa never being as admired in Japan as he was (and is) in the West. Some critics and directors (Nagisa Oshima most notably) even accused him of deliberately pandering to the tastes of foreign audiences.

Incidentally, it's interesting to compare the BBC list with the 200 best Japanese films as selected by Kinema Junpo (Japan's oldest film magazine) readers as well as the 100 best Chinese films according to members of the Hong Kong Film Awards. The latter in particular is a good example of how films which are valued abroad may not always be the ones with the most acclaim domestically. In the Mood for Love doesn't show up until #91 for instance.

I don't think it's the only reason the movies haven't been embraced outside of their home countries, but the thing I find really interesting about the lists is how unavailable some of the films are. About half the movies in the Japanese top 10 don't even have region 1 DVD releases and it's pretty close to that for the Chinese list too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aliens using bizarre experimental technologies to ‘humanize’ animals, giving them language: cool.

This is why The Island Of Dr. Moreau is frankly better than all of these movies.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

Reason I care about actors (I'm using actor as a gender neutral term)
1) Did they commit a crime aside from using using drugs
2) Were they in a movie I like
3) Are they going to be in a movie I'm looking forward to

By your metric the only thing Mel Gibson did wrong was speeding?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was listening to Filter (shut up) and I was wracking my brain trying to remember who the lead singer was brothers with. T1000? Really? Man I was way off. I thought it was the douche from Sugar Ray or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

By your metric the only thing Mel Gibson did wrong was speeding?

Drunk driving is different from being drunk. and I'll amend my rules to put "not be racist" in between 1 and 2. Though it's mystifying to me that Mel Gibson is basically blackballed from the industry and Woody Allen is still making movies.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Skwirl posted:

Drunk driving is different from being drunk. and I'll amend my rules to put "not be racist" in between 1 and 2. Though it's mystifying to me that Mel Gibson is basically blackballed from the industry and Woody Allen is still making movies.

Mel Gibson directed an Oscar nominated movie like two years ago

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Aesthetics are more interesting than speculative science fiction by a country mile.

Granted, in the case of the MCU the aesthetics are consistently awful and boring, so there's really nothing to redeem them, but the model of fantastic imagery being used to tell relatively mundane stories isn't inherently flawed.

e: I would also add that the idea that there's a clear distinction between stories about e.g. a guy's relationship with his alcoholic father on the one hand, and stories about social and economic conditions of the world on the other is a false one. The personal is political.

Well right; all those things are connected. You can’t address where spaceships come from without talking about the economics - and, at the same time, you can’t depoliticize aesthetics (and the aesthetics of Hardcore Henry are of course linked back to the sci-fi premise).

The issue with both the Marvel films and the ‘prestige’ sci-fi films we’re talking about is precisely that they are depoliticized - reduced to ‘just’ the personal drama, obscuring the rest.

Hardcore Henry is about a man’s relationship to his wife, along with everything else, but it’s exceedingly difficult to isolate that one aspect. Not so much with Annihilation.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I don't understand Tom Cruise love. His wife had to plan an escape with his ex-wife's assistance and his fans just go "Well that's because of Scientology. Jesus did you see that stunt he did? He just give it his all!". You're not the messiah of a cult and a good person. There are accounts that he is Jesus within the organization and somehow he isn't aware or participating in their shady poo poo? There was an Indian actress that "dated" him briefly and she said he was wretched and when things fell apart she was forced to clean toilets with toothbrushes in a compound.

But man those uh stunts. Kickin' rad. Just ignore the whole debacle where Katie Holmes had to flee from him and his loving cult while he was off shooting a movie.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Though I was looking for reports in text form. I got a final paper I gotta start and finish this week about a biological theory in sex crimes. I'm going the feminist theory. I figure incels could eat a thousand words alone, but I need to cite some academic sources.

In that case I can't help much. Sorry. Still if you have the time this video is both worth watching and very funny. If you like hbomberguy you'll like her.

Timby posted:

Much like Catch Me If You Can, it's Daddy Issues: The Movie.

This is a running theme with Spielberg.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Erza Miller was so good in We Need to Talk About Kevin that he kind of freaks me the gently caress out.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

James Woods Fan posted:

I don't understand Tom Cruise love. His wife had to plan an escape with his ex-wife's assistance and his fans just go "Well that's because of Scientology. Jesus did you see that stunt he did? He just give it his all!". You're not the messiah of a cult and a good person. There are accounts that he is Jesus within the organization and somehow he isn't aware or participating in their shady poo poo? There was an Indian actress that "dated" him briefly and she said he was wretched and when things fell apart she was forced to clean toilets with toothbrushes in a compound.

But man those uh stunts. Kickin' rad. Just ignore the whole debacle where Katie Holmes had to flee from him and his loving cult while he was off shooting a movie.

The photos of Kidman after signing the divorce were pretty funny

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Peccadillo posted:

The photos of Kidman after signing the divorce were pretty funny

That's beautiful. Thank you for posting these.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Ezra Miller is cute but he seems to have really bad opinions

Ew no he has a face like a loving uncanny valley robot

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I knew Tom Cruise was a nut but I didn't know he was also a pile of trash.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

I think he sucks as a dude but also kicks rear end at doing action movies

Hope this hells

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

I knew Tom Cruise was a nut but I didn't know he was also a pile of trash.

I mean, he's a high ranking Scientologist so of course he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ew no he has a face like a loving uncanny valley robot

I for one welcome our robot top overlords