Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
When you get the 'has called in a favor' alert, is there a way to see what that favor was? I'm beating my head against a brick wall trying to get a claim on Aragon, trying to use my spymaster to blackmail other nobles into it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Best Friends posted:

It's def common but since holy fury I'm getting it literally every time. I wonder if the coding enabling African religion women to get male consorts broke something.

Edit: ironically when there is a multiple male consorts situation, parenthood is never in doubt. Like after birth all the dudes are like "that's Steve's right? We all agree it looks like Steve?"

Huh, I was going to ask about how, since female rulers can get concubines depending on religion now, is who the father is assigned? It seems reasonable to just have them all "officially" be the husband's, but apparently that's not the case. Hopefully that doesn't mess up any bloodline shenanigans or whatever.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There isn't any way to tell the date of the last legendary quest from a warrior lodge, is there? I did it close to 200 years ago, so I figured it would be available, but it says it's not - I'm guessing some other leader used the quest in the meantime, but I don't know when.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ok, did raise tribal Army get put back in the game? I am seeing it on my intrigue list. Im running modded, and I am not sure which modder hosed up and left it in as legacy junk. My right click menu also shows "Plot to kill" twice when i right click on someone's portrait. Ive redownloaded everything, so its not a mod not updating and being some legacy thing stored on my computer. Can shut off mods still mess with things if the files are there in your system?

Terminus of the Silk Road
Animals in Ruler Designer
Three Doctrines Reform
Improved Genetics
The Sufi Schools
Republics Fixed (and no Scale Wealth/Income Based Costs)
Vassals' culture spread
Mend the Eastern Schisms <touches intrigue menu>
Historical Events Pack
More Pagan Artifacts
Multiple Magnum Opus for Immortals <touches intrigue menu>
Descendants <touches intrigue menu>
Cultural Bonuses
A Sensible New Family <touches intrigue menu>
Ruler Designer Unlocked!
Unique Buildings
Send to the Varangian Guard <touches right click menu>
Mason's HD Coats of Arms
No Satan Masks Red Cloth

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Strudel Man posted:

There isn't any way to tell the date of the last legendary quest from a warrior lodge, is there? I did it close to 200 years ago, so I figured it would be available, but it says it's not - I'm guessing some other leader used the quest in the meantime, but I don't know when.

It's in the save file, and it at least sometimes bugs out and refuses to clear the flag. I've verified times when it's well over 100 years since the flag was set (the date is listed next to the flag in the save file) but it still fails the test. I believe this is because of the trigger in the code. I'm away from the files at the moment, but it's something like:
In the decision, it checks to see if the flag exists on the society
In the society upkeep hidden event that should fire periodically, it checks if the flag is >100 years old and removes it if so

When really it should just check if the flag is >100 years old in the decision

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, I was going to ask about how, since female rulers can get concubines depending on religion now, is who the father is assigned? It seems reasonable to just have them all "officially" be the husband's, but apparently that's not the case. Hopefully that doesn't mess up any bloodline shenanigans or whatever.

I had two consorts on my Queen and all 6 pregnancies said "My husband is sure to be pleased", but the kids themselves did show the consort as the father and had the usual "Child of a consort" diplomacy hit. Weirdly I ended up with 2 kids from each of them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Asproigerosis posted:

Converted all of eastern europe to christianity, ~15,000 piety, carried the first crusade for aquitaine to victory, created the wendish empire. Not enough to become a saint apparently.

My emperor did much the same from the west, forming the empire of Prydain, saving the pope's bacon by winning a crusade when the Ummayyads and Danes had practically eradicated continental Catholicism, converting said Danes, being a Galahad for most of his life and prevented (I expect) from being a saint only by having picked up wroth during the crusade, finally becoming known as 'the Philosopher' and forging a bloodline fostering cultural and technological growth. Always sane, gifted, and clever, he steadfastly refused to burn witches or launch pogroms, but brought immense prosperity and good health to his realm. When he once became possessed, he immediately and successfully took great personal risks to exorcise himself. And what does my emperor's death screen say?

"A disturbed person, Fiorbyn was known throughout his lands as a raving madman. Many are cautiously rejoicing at the news of his death."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I had two consorts on my Queen and all 6 pregnancies said "My husband is sure to be pleased", but the kids themselves did show the consort as the father and had the usual "Child of a consort" diplomacy hit. Weirdly I ended up with 2 kids from each of them.

Weird. I expect this thing might still have some issues to work out; it doesn't seem like it'd deliberately do that.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

It's in the save file, and it at least sometimes bugs out and refuses to clear the flag. I've verified times when it's well over 100 years since the flag was set (the date is listed next to the flag in the save file) but it still fails the test. I believe this is because of the trigger in the code. I'm away from the files at the moment, but it's something like:
In the decision, it checks to see if the flag exists on the society
In the society upkeep hidden event that should fire periodically, it checks if the flag is >100 years old and removes it if so

When really it should just check if the flag is >100 years old in the decision
Wow, you're right. It was set in 1009, and it's currently 1205. I think...

Oh, man, you know what I think it is? The event to clear it is coded wrong.

code:
if = {
            limit = {
                event_target:my_warrior_lodge = {
                    had_flag = {
                        flag = used_legendary_gathering
                        years = 100
                    }
                }
            }
            clr_flag = used_legendary_gathering #So the whole thing is reset...
        }
The event itself is scoped to the character in the lodge. It scopes over to the lodge to check whether the flag should be cleared, but doesn't for the actual attempt. So it's trying to clear the flag on the character, instead of the lodge. Guess I better submit a bug report, since this means only one legendary gathering ever per lodge. Though it's hard to tell if any attention is paid to those reports; I've never gotten any kind of a response even when I clearly indicate where and what the problem is in the code.

Annoying. I'm in ironman, so I can't fix it myself, but I quite want to call another gathering.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 20, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The completely random scenario modifier makes for really weird games. I accidentally activated it once without knowing exactly what it was, and was wondering why "The Cult of Cascallory" or something like that was present in most of Scandinavia.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 20, 2018

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Finally managed to fabricate a claim on the Duchy of Aragon, the only issue is that my 22 martial ruler died, being replaced by her 4 martial sister, which has wrecked my levy size. In a twist that's just pure CK2, I noticed that my liege has one child, who is inbred and 0 across the board. I'm now plotting to kill my liege to put Mr. 0/0/0/0/0 on the throne so I can gently caress him up. In the meantime I'm raiding the low countries in an attempt to build a war chest so I can either build up my demense or just hire mercs and do over the current Duke. poo poo like this is why I play CK2, I love it.

This is really tough, I've thrown off an invading king when I was conquered but your options are really restricted when you're a count trying to win a duchy with a king overlooking both of you making sure you play somewhat nice.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there any strategy to fabricating a claim on a duchy rather than a county or is it just luck

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I didn't do it with my chancellor, I spotted that instead of doing it via plot power and waiting for it to fire, there are decisions that become available at certain thresholds. I went for a 60% chance of doing it at 3 or more plotters and more than 75% plot power or something. There's a 90% chance one at something like 150% power and 5 plotters. That might a common knowledge but I've never played a vassal before now other than 10 years under an invader.

Otherwise, just the usual looking for people who are close to joining and bribing/swaying/blackmailing as appropriate.

I think that if you're a looking to take another realm's duchy, it's luck based but having a good chancellor helps.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does After the End and its fork work with Holy Fury? I want to play a dragon Rust Cultist.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

this event is literally just "you die."
there's another random event in battle that's just "ur maimed now lol"
what the gently caress

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

what the gently caress

yeah best not let low martial/personal combat guys lead armies. I quite like the realism tbh. If you send your fatass 0 martial slothful dullard into battle it's entirely reasonable to expect them to get hosed up.

e: ah. didn't see your stats. Yeah, it's pretty dumb for that to happen there. I guess in a way still realistic though!

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 20, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

what the gently caress
I mean on one level that shouldn't be too shocking; deaths on the battlefield are an RNG thing, and it's checking your stats behind the scenes.

On the other hand, that guy's a pretty good commander. I'm not sure about how exactly the new system works; that event is HFP.11001, fired from a tombola event with the following conditions:

code:
10 = {
				trigger = {
					NOT = { trait = berserker }
					NOT = { is_indomitable_trigger = yes }  #The "Indomitable" power blocks "very bad stuff"
				}
				bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
				warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes
				character_event = { id = HFP.11001 } # Killed (remake of 242)
			}
The "score" parts of that are new (I believe?) code with this expansion, which appear to consist entirely of modifiers...I guess those modifiers would apply to the weighting of 10 there. There's a lot of them, but yeah, no matter how good you are, there's always a slight chance of being unluckily killed in battle (unless you're a hero in a warrior lodge).

There's also support in the code for an indomitable bloodline, but no actual coded bloodline seems to have it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

what the gently caress

Don't forget the ever classic "now you're incapable"!

...:suicide:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strudel Man posted:

I mean on one level that shouldn't be too shocking; deaths on the battlefield are an RNG thing, and it's checking your stats behind the scenes.

On the other hand, that guy's a pretty good commander. I'm not sure about how exactly the new system works; that event is HFP.11001, fired from a tombola event with the following conditions:

code:
10 = {
				trigger = {
					NOT = { trait = berserker }
					NOT = { is_indomitable_trigger = yes }  #The "Indomitable" power blocks "very bad stuff"
				}
				bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
				warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes
				character_event = { id = HFP.11001 } # Killed (remake of 242)
			}

Am I reading that right? It seems to say you can't get an auto-kill event in battle if you are a berserker. That seems ... counterintuitive.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

ThomasPaine posted:

yeah best not let low martial/personal combat guys lead armies. I quite like the realism tbh. If you send your fatass 0 martial slothful dullard into battle it's entirely reasonable to expect them to get hosed up.

e: ah. didn't see your stats. Yeah, it's pretty dumb for that to happen there. I guess in a way still realistic though!

that's my main complaint, really. it's fine for leading armies to gently caress up dudes who really shouldn't be doing that, but this guy is basically built to gently caress poo poo up on the battlefield and going "lol u die" without even the option to mitigate it is awful. if anything this should be like one of those new battlefield events that has a 'normal' choice (usually bad end) or a choice available to high martial characters to either avert it or force a duel.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
Anyone run into a bug where you go on pilgrimage, and the pilgrimage events never fire, but other events are blocked because you're still tagged as away? It's about to really wreck a great ironman game I had going.

I inherited an empire, but couldn't get crowned because the plague was running wild and the pope was in seclusion. I figured I might as well knock my pilgrimage out while waiting on him, so I started it... and 15 years later, I'm still on pilgrimage without ever getting any events, and I can't get crowned because I'm marked as away/busy even though my character portrait says I'm ruling in my home county.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So did I mishear or is there supposed to be a way for you to burn temples of other religions if you're pagan?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

Does After the End and its fork work with Holy Fury? I want to play a dragon Rust Cultist.

no, ATE-FF only works with version 2.8.3.x

Stairmaster posted:

So did I mishear or is there supposed to be a way for you to burn temples of other religions if you're pagan?

raid them

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

To be more specific you have to siege them down while raiding. Just skimming the available loot won't do it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh hey, the dev diaries continue, with talk about another upcoming patch.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-109-we-released-the-fury.1128954/

Stairmaster posted:

While raiding, you can raid temples, which gives you a bonus to your moral authority and a penalty to theirs. You can burn Rome to destroy the churches. You can build "great tribal pillars" which boost your moral authority, but can be burned down by people who conquer the province but aren't your religion. Finally, if you are a horse nomad, you can destroy temples as well as cities, tribes, and baronies, because your government type benefits from empty holding slots.

These are all the permutations that could apply to your question.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It seems like there's a small chance of destroying whatever holding while you're raiding. As germanic pagan I destroyed at least one of each type of holding, spread out over years. Just find where they have a lot of temples and go nuts.

I raid Kent annually if I'm playing Germanic.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

It seems like there's a small chance of destroying whatever holding while you're raiding. As germanic pagan I destroyed at least one of each type of holding, spread out over years. Just find where they have a lot of temples and go nuts.

I raid Kent annually if I'm playing Germanic.
Every time you finish sieging a holding, you have a small chance of destroying a building (automatically do it if it's constructing one).

If a holding has no buildings left to destroy, it destroys the holding.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Am I reading that right? It seems to say you can't get an auto-kill event in battle if you are a berserker. That seems ... counterintuitive.

you can't get the normal ones but berserker has its own unique instakill events that you get instead

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh, also question: what message setting do I have to tweak to stop the endless flood of 'Elder so and so now favors X as your Heir' popups, because the elders are constantly changing their minds since none of the candidates are of age. I cannot find whatever it is in the menu.

A vassal formed a high chief title too so now I get HIS flood of elders changing their mind every drat minute.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

you can't get the normal ones but berserker has its own unique instakill events that you get instead

Also, that event is being instakilled, not killing someone else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So after watching a video about the history of Ireland, I decided I want to try to do that in CK2, but so far my attempts have been met in failure. I think its because either I don't get some mechanic of the game or I'm chosing the wrong place to start. I choose Dublin as my starting province, but I always get overwhelmed when one of the other Eire nobles decide to gently caress with me.

It doesn't help no one has any daughters on the whole island, wtf is with that?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there a good start to be an Independent Greek and not the Byzantine Emperor? I don't like starting with big complex (and just hosed) Empires but I really want to run a Greek game, preferably Kingdom-sized.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is there a good start to be an Independent Greek and not the Byzantine Emperor? I don't like starting with big complex (and just hosed) Empires but I really want to run a Greek game, preferably Kingdom-sized.

There is the Count of Naples/Neapolis who's a fun challenge start. Last Orthodox Greek in Italy, and right under the Normans' nose. It is possible to beat them to forming Sicily, but it can be a little gamey if you do.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How good are Merchant Republics if you're far from the Silk Road? I want to try make Ireland an MR, but I'm wondering how much I'll miss the LODS OF EMONE™ I was making when I played Carthage. I'm planning to play on a Shattered World where every province has seven holdings, if that helps.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

In addition to the count of Naples, at least two of the patrician families in Amalfi are Greek Orthodox. Create your merchant empire!

CommissarMega posted:

How good are Merchant Republics if you're far from the Silk Road? I want to try make Ireland an MR, but I'm wondering how much I'll miss the LODS OF EMONE™ I was making when I played Carthage. I'm planning to play on a Shattered World where every province has seven holdings, if that helps.

The Silk Road was introduced long after merchant republics. And even then, they were famous for making mad cash. Of course, the Silk Road generates insane revenue, you won't be able to match it when playing in Ireland. Also, the provinces tend to be backwards both with the number of holdings and their tech levels, which will reduce your trade post income. It can still be a lot of fun, but it's not as easy as in the rich and highly developed regions around the Mediterranean Sea.

Also, raids will often burn down trade posts. If you start before 1066, you should have a plan to deal with the vikings, either by playing as them or by wiping them out. If you leave them alone, you will be in for a frustrating experience.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
BOOM MOTHERFUCKERS

House Mislavic, Charlemagne start. You can convert to from Serbian/Slavic to Greek/Orthodox pretty much immediately but requires some mad bad luck on the part of the Byzantines. Wait until they get split by a huge rebellion, then holy war the poo poo out of them as long as they stay Iconoclast

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
So I've started a new game at Charlemagne start, starting as King of Saxony here's what happened:

Joined the Warrior Lodge, duelled everyone in sight.
Found Mjolnir, used it to win more duels
Reformed my pagan religion into a bloodthirsty, warmongering mess
Reformed from Feudalism
Founded a legendary bloodline by going to Pictland and killing old men and ladies
Sponsored the conversion of 5 pagan realms to my new Pagan religion

Upon death, my kill count was 200+ from raiding/duelling. 9/10.

10/10 because Khazaria took the Byzantine empire, which reformed from the immediate civil war afterwards.

11/10 because of the trait "hemophant".

It's only 815, I've got 500 years of this insanity left.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So here's a weird thing - if you do the Spanish Reconquista, the event troops.... never go away? They don't regenerate so if you use them they'll die off eventually, but you also get more troops each time you take the decision again and conquor more territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Holy poo poo you can search for an artifact name and find the soon to be corpse proud owner.