Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Ugh I'm so annoyed they're still calling Shou and Cham "Show and Chum".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Good show, chum.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Romanization isn't an exact science and those are still correct unless official romanizations exist (I have no idea, I know nothing about Dunbine beyond what SRW has shown me).

That said "Noble" is still undeniably wrong but if that's the only mistake in the translation, it's a good translation...but I hope it's fixed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I can't read "Chum" and not think of that guy from Pawn Stars.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I hear it as the Adam West Batman talking to his sidekick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
With each new crazy choice, my dream of getting Ulysses 31 in the next one seems less and less crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQD3GAD0NIw

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Now that there's been 3 'battleship' series in a row, plus Cowboy Bebop, the sky is the limit for anything sci-fi.

I, personally, cannot wait for Outlaw Star to show up in SRW I.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Romanization isn't an exact science and those are still correct unless official romanizations exist (I have no idea, I know nothing about Dunbine beyond what SRW has shown me).

That said "Noble" is still undeniably wrong but if that's the only mistake in the translation, it's a good translation...but I hope it's fixed.

I'm pretty sure those are, in fact, the (most recent) official romanizations - the various official releases themselves have been inconsistent over the years.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
One of the things that is nice is that we only have a couple "unit only" series this time

Hopefully there won't be too many "no plot" or "post series" shows here as well, especially for G Gundam

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I also just remembered that Jet's VA died a few months ago :( I hope they got some lines recorded for him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reiska posted:

I'm pretty sure those are, in fact, the (most recent) official romanizations - the various official releases themselves have been inconsistent over the years.
It's not like China where there's one state supported romanization system but there are a few similar but different standards used in different aspects of Japanese life...but there are also just mistakes and also SRW's official stuff is just deliberately crazy.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Seeing Devilman makes me feel bittersweet of the many times people tell me my games shouldn't be named SRW because series not containing robots or whatever.

Well, on the actual game itself.

It actually feels like they've listened to criticisms of V / X with this game for as much as reasonably possible (making a new game with zero reused assets was never going to be feasible, for example) - off the top of my head, Gundams have been cut down to around 8 instead of making up a whole bulk of the cast, they brought back long requested series like GGG, G Gundam and GxS, the recycled assets series from Z are the ones people like more except Trider, cutting the ones that made people fall asleep (Daitarn) and they brought in Rayearth, which is a series that's built up the reputation of being unlikely enough that it's a game seller all by itself (though it definitely comes off as being one game late) along with Bebop being 90s nostalgia bait.

And then there's DD, which seems to be a response to the requests of people who are potentially interested in an SRW Gacha Game, but don't want to play the frankly pretty horrid Plants Vs Zombie defense game.

So, maybe this is the game where they're going to right the ship, so to speak.

On the cynical side, I wonder about the execution of the story, since I'm really hoping the series aren't going to pop out of different dimensions again, and then you have like the standard SRW odd segregation of Space-heavy series (Harlock / Bebop) with the atmosphere based ones, especially the fantasies. The core concept seems weaker than the previous game and seems to mostly be trying to stand on its series list being a string of desired entries. Well, as long as they hired a good writer...

What's less likely for me is whether the gameplay will actually be good again, since they're performing ship-righting anyway - I think it would really take the magic out of using Magic Knight Rayearth (oops) if you're still going to spend half of the game moving your strongest unit into the enemy and then hitting End Turn a lot... well, unless they implement the Auto-Battle from DD and turn it into a true Visual Novel experience.

And for the love of god I really hope they don't try to reflavor the Z-Crystals/Shop system again.

Not too confident about it being NEO/Z1/Alpha Gaiden levels of fun again, since I know there really isn't enough of us gameplay-oriented people existing for Bamco to actually care about catering to us, but C'est La Vie.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Clarste posted:

Good show, chum.

Big Chum.... SHOWTIME!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if DD will be any good.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

quote:

Super Robot Wars Dimension Driver is quite different from other games in the series. First off, there is an automatic mode. Next, there isn’t an “Ally Phase” and an “Enemy Phase”. Instead, each unit acts according to their speed stats, and you can check who will act next with the timeline at the top left of the screen.
I'm scared

edit: Oh yeah I should actually link to the source, here's an article translating some of the details of the last stream.

https://www.dualshockers.com/super-robot-wars-taisen-t-ps4-switch/

Davzz fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 20, 2018

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

They list skull heart and steel seven as being units only in that article, but not the original Crossbone.

Dare I hold out hope, for Crossbone plot?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Davzz posted:

I'm scared

edit: Oh yeah I should actually link to the source, here's an article translating some of the details of the last stream.

https://www.dualshockers.com/super-robot-wars-taisen-t-ps4-switch/

That's kind of interesting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Wait, DD won't have the units be locked behind gacha? What the hell IS this game? I'm genuinely confused now...

I guess the parts are locked behind gacha? It sounds too good to be true if it isn't loving you over with gacha. It's not a phone game without that!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If there's a gacha, I imagine DD will have an ongoing plot and further additions to the roster, much like X-Omega. Since they already started with Devilman, we can hope for really out there stuff.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, DD won't have the units be locked behind gacha? What the hell IS this game? I'm genuinely confused now...

I guess the parts are locked behind gacha? It sounds too good to be true if it isn't loving you over with gacha. It's not a phone game without that!
Check out the interview translation I posted, but yes - it's weapon parts that will be locked behind the Gacha.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

MonsieurChoc posted:

With each new crazy choice, my dream of getting Ulysses 31 in the next one seems less and less crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQD3GAD0NIw

I'd love to see X-Bomber, just to see how they'd handle the marionettes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Pureauthor posted:

As long as it's reffered to as Double Ds, how bad could it be

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There are plenty of gacha that don't have characters locked. Final fantasy record keeper is the biggest example.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Since G Gundam is back and in the same game as CCA, wonder if they'll do Devil Axis again, or maybe something even wackier like it possessing the Black Hole Bomb or something

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I also just remembered that Jet's VA died a few months ago :( I hope they got some lines recorded for him.
Bandai Namco usually announces stuff when they're roughly 70-75% complete, so it is most likely that SRW T is one of the last, if not the last, performance of Unshou Ishizuka. That said, I am curious as to how they'll handle Hammerhead. Jet's vehicle only has a grapple hook for a weapon, and its only "attack" in the show was to use its elongated nose like a shovel to scoop up a bounty target. Maybe he'll be like Ray's custom VF-117 (no weapons, only a repair and resupply module) or the Excellence Rescue (dedicated repair/resupply unit with one or two attacks). Or they'll cut Hammerhead and have Jet be on the Bebop full time, with Ed and Ein as his subpilots.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to the most ambitious crossover to date: the ultimate commentator tag team of Punch, Judy and Stalker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wonder how useful the Bebop ships are going to be. They don't really... have a lot going for them, but it could be one of those "It's a S-sized unit with a single powerful-as-poo poo attack so it's actually kinda broken" situations

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I really wonder how useful the Bebop ships are going to be. They don't really... have a lot going for them, but it could be one of those "It's a S-sized unit with a single powerful-as-poo poo attack so it's actually kinda broken" situations
Spike and Faye at least have weapons (Faye more than Spike, mind) that could lead to some variety in attacks. Faye is almost certainly going to have one of the patented "full volley" attacks where she unloads everything in one attack. Spike's probably going to have less weapons, but more fancy animations since Swordfish gets involved in a lot of dogfights/aerial chase scenes.

I'm more concerned with how Bebop's music is going to turn out, and what'll be used for tracks. "Tank!" is almost a given (even if it'll be without the opening vocals), but I'm hoping we get "Real Folk Blues", "Blue" and "Space Lion", even if the latter is not easy to cut down for SRW due to how long of a track it is.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Noble what it is in the official english dub of G Gundam so its actually correct! Couldn't tell you why they went with that, but they did.

Apparently Beltorchika's Children stuff, Crossbone and Last Red Shoulder are units only Not sure if regular Crossbone is units only or just Steel 7 and Skull Heart. Same as X basically.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

AradoBalanga posted:

Bandai Namco usually announces stuff when they're roughly 70-75% complete, so it is most likely that SRW T is one of the last, if not the last, performance of Unshou Ishizuka.

He's also Doctor Hell in Infinity, so if he managed to record the lines for both, then he'll have gone out on a high note, really.

EthanSteele posted:

Apparently Beltorchika's Children stuff, Crossbone and Last Red Shoulder are units only Not sure if regular Crossbone is units only or just Steel 7 and Skull Heart. Same as X basically.

Checked the series listing and regular Crossbone is not units only. Then again, neither is Trider, nor was Daitarn in V or X, so take that as you will.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Daitarn 3 getting replaced with Trider G7 seemed kind of odd at first but after seeing this I'm on board.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm more concerned with how Bebop's music is going to turn out, and what'll be used for tracks. "Tank!" is almost a given (even if it'll be without the opening vocals), but I'm hoping we get "Real Folk Blues", "Blue" and "Space Lion", even if the latter is not easy to cut down for SRW due to how long of a track it is.

As long as I can set someone's music as American Money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Now that there's been 3 'battleship' series in a row, plus Cowboy Bebop, the sky is the limit for anything sci-fi.

I, personally, cannot wait for Outlaw Star to show up in SRW I.
I really, really want Captain Tylor. Imagine a game in which everyone from Kouji to Chirico is taking orders from Justy Ueki freaking Tylor.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

I really, really want Captain Tylor. Imagine a game in which everyone from Kouji to Chirico is taking orders from Justy Ueki freaking Tylor.

I mentioned this in our little live commentary over the stream that, "How long, at this point, until Tylor" Which, yes, the Soyokaze would probably be the worst ship in existence, but I maintain it would still be hilarious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be the worst ship in existence but Tylor'd have the best spirit set ever and just cast a random spirit on a random unit in his radius or something

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

It'd be the worst ship in existence but Tylor'd have the best spirit set ever and just cast a random spirit on a random unit in his radius or something

Tylor would bend reality so hard that successful kills would cause chain reactions

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Tylor would have Lelouch's tactical command, but which effect hits each unit is random.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

Checked the series listing and regular Crossbone is not units only. Then again, neither is Trider, nor was Daitarn in V or X, so take that as you will.
Daitarn had a tiny bit of plot involvement in those games, so fair enough on that front.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Daitarn had a tiny bit of plot involvement in those games, so fair enough on that front.
I've forgotten almost all of Daitarn's story it's been basically unit-only for so long in SRW.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Tobia's fighting a Batalla in the PV, so there's going to be Crossbone enemies in some form, but I feel like if we were getting the events of Crossbone they'd have shown off the X3 as a shiny and new (but older and worse) unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Tobia's fighting a Batalla in the PV, so there's going to be Crossbone enemies in some form, but I feel like if we were getting the events of Crossbone they'd have shown off the X3 as a shiny and new (but older and worse) unit.

Unless they're saving it in another trailer so they've still got things to blow our minds with, it's probably gonna be a V situation.

• Locked thread