Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

I came to it from the opposite direction. I've been playing combo company decks since the melira/anafenza days and just added the value stuff recently. I think the raw power of the combo version is so much higher that it's a mistake not to play it. A pretty decent grindy midrange deck that kills you if you tap out is a lot stronger than a great grindy midrange deck that doesn't. The turn three freebie wins are also not to be underestimated, I had a bunch of those today.

Yeah I can see coming out of nowhere with an insta-kill to be a worthwhile thing. I have everything for your list so maybe I will give it a shot sometime :v:

Mezzanon posted:

Tournament report from bubbling out at a modern. Open today. 221 people, 8 rounds. Watch as I get paired up against tron four times!

Nice. How did you like Reflector Mage? I saw that first-place list with them and have been thinking of trying it out, but haven't had the time to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Nice. How did you like Reflector Mage? I saw that first-place list with them and have been thinking of trying it out, but haven't had the time to do so.

There was exactly one case where mage was worse than path. 3 cases where it was better than path.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
One more thing about that list: spell queller got bolted so many times yesterday that I'd probably take it out of the sideboard. It's not as good here as it is in spirits where the rest of your deck protects it. That would leave unified will as the only blue card, which could have some implications for the mana base. I would make sure to keep two blue shocks though since you happen to bring unified will in against most field of ruin/ghost quarter decks.

Also the ninth fetch should be a basic forest.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Quick humble brag: I run the local modern league in my city and we’ve had almost 50 people the last two tournaments so I splurged and got a modern league championship belt made:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Quick humble brag: I run the local modern league in my city and we’ve had almost 50 people the last two tournaments so I splurged and got a modern league championship belt made:

Should be white in the middle, green and blue on its left and right, and red and black on the outside since that roughly tracks to how the colors are laid out relative to each other on the card back. But it's dope regardless!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Should be white in the middle, green and blue on its left and right, and red and black on the outside since that roughly tracks to how the colors are laid out relative to each other on the card back. But it's dope regardless!

I considered that but I went with WUBRG instead

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Finally upgraded my basics for bant spirits:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

extremely shameful non-APAC basics

(they look great)

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 16, 2018

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone else going to be playing Modern at GP Portland?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

Anyone else going to be playing Modern at GP Portland?

Yeah, I’ll be there.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

All else being equal, which deck do you think is positioned better against the field: spirits or humans?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

All else being equal, which deck do you think is positioned better against the field: spirits or humans?

Probably spirits as it allows for more silver bullet sideboard cards.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I 2nd Spirits because of flying.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Creature (30)
4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Instant (6)
4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (3)
3 Aether Vial

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
1 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Kataki, Wars Wage
1 Settle The Wreckage
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Worship

F2F classic tournament report:

R1 vs Stephen on Humans
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I look at my opening 7 and see 2 canopy, fetch, vial, hierarch, queller, phantasmal and realize that I can do just the greatest pump fake ever. (Which is the line I go for) I play canopy vial pass. Opponent goes cavern naming humans into hierarch and pass. I draw a second phantasmal and tick vial to 1, play second canopy and pass. Opponent plays land. Looks at my board, tanks, looks at my board and goes “meddling mage?” I activate vial in response to put a hierarch into play (and to over sell it), meddling mage resolves and opponent confidently goes “mantis rider”. GOT EM. I draw a second spell queller and leave vial on 2 (pretending that I forgot to plus it to 3) so that I can quell and phantasmal quell. And opponent dies to never resolving a spell again.

G2: opponent build up a big champion but makes a bad attack into my coaling in a reflector mage and then I chip opponent down in the air while quellering every flying creature they play.

R2 vs ken on u/g infect
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I play breeding pool hierarch, opponent goes “well this will be interesting and plays Forest hierarch. I play fetch and hold queller up. Opponent plays inkmoth into spellskite (assuming he’s playing against the mirror?) I do not quell the spellskite. I play land and pass. Opponent activated inkmoth and swing for one (missing the exalted trigger). No play after that so I coco at end step. Hot lord and wanderer. Play land and pass. Opponent goes for a blighted agent which I quell. Then I untap and play land into captain lock.

G2: opponent has a creature heavy draw and I keep one lander, vial, hierarch, wanderer, phantasmal, supreme phantom. Opponent has T1 glistened elf and I just play land vial and say “just have to fade the T2 lethal!” Opponent chips in with double glistened and blighted agent and I make some trades and sac wanderers to counter pump spells. Eventually vial gets to 3 and I get to 3 land with queller and reflector in hand (reflector was an all star) vial in reflector mage during combat when my opponent goes for lethal with the agent. Block a glistener with the reflector. Opponent passes over to me and I play a canopy and pass. Somewhere in here my opponent goes for a become immense and I have to vial in supreme phantom and sac both wanderers. During my opponents turn I say “since I vialed in reflector on your turn you technically CAN play it” which makes my opponent rethink playing it. They swing with inkmoth and the last elf and I block the elf on the ground, they pendlehaven the inkmoth for lethal so I vial in another reflector mage. Second main the go for the blighted agent and I queller it. Then play lord lord swing lethal.

R3 vs Daniel on dredge
Win die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: I keep a fine hand with creatures and coco into the drogskol lock with an active moorland vaunt. Opponent goes for the conflagrate plan, after a double creeping chill. I have a four turn window where any creature or a path to exile wins me the game I sacrifice 2 horizon canopies and draw 5 land and an aether vial. Welp.

G2: we both mull to six: I never see a sideboard card and get run over with the triple creeping chill. Oh well.

Creeping chill remains wildly op.

R4 vs u/g infect
Lose die roll
Lose 2-0

G1: I almost have it but my opponent has all the pump spells and blighted agent. See zero path or reflector mage.

G2 second verse same as the first. Pendlehaven, blighted agent, and exalted trigger puts me on a fast clock and I see no paths or reflector mage or settle

On the upside I was playing against a high level grinder who has top 8’d the last 6 or so big events he was at.

R5 vs g/u infect again!
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: opponent waits til he ya protection for the blighted agent and then swings for 10

G2: I spell queller spellskite and blighted agent and that’s the game

G3: I have lethal next turn after reflector ing for 3 turns but opponent has double pump spell on the last turn.

R6 vs Jenna on Ponza
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent lands blood moon which doesn’t do a lot against my 12 power in the air

G2: I get got so hard holy shiiiiiiiit. Opponent mills to 6 and keeps double forest + enchantment that lets it tap for an additional mana of any color plus two arbor elf. I have lords with spell queller backup. Opponent casually pays 9 mana with 4 lands in play and entwines tooth and nail for xenagos and emrakul. Points for style

G3: I mull to 6 opponent mills to 5 I go land hierarch into rattlechains lord lord. Opponent has no acceleration and loses

R7 no opponent shows up lmao

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Just slammed a (modern) grixis delver list together for giggles, might take to FNM this week. I put 2 Nimble Obstructionists in.

I played a (paid queue) test game on MTGO, got paired against storm, lost g1 to a million goblins and won the match with Obstructionist in both cases. This is not irrelevant in my meta, and I think it's a pretty hilarious interaction. Trickbind is too terrible a card to play despite my best efforts, but a 3/1 flash flyer that occasionally does double duty seems fine. Thank god that card doesn't have Spirit on its type line.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 28, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Just slammed a (modern) grixis delver list together for giggles, might take to FNM this week. I put 2 Nimble Obstructionists in.

I played a (paid queue) test game on MTGO, got paired against storm, lost g1 to a million goblins and won the match with Obstructionist in both cases. This is not irrelevant in my meta, and I think it's a pretty hilarious interaction. Trickbind is too terrible a card to play despite my best efforts, but a 3/1 flash flyer that occasionally does double duty seems fine. Thank god that card doesn't have Spirit on its type line.

Wizards please print a 3/1 flash flying spirit that stifles on etb for 3 mana.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Wizards please print a 3/1 flash flying spirit that stifles on etb for 3 mana.

Make it cost UW :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Paging Mezzanon
https://youtu.be/YoI81gNf5s0

:v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

It’s trash

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Obv

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that bloodghast is absolutely wretched good god

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that entire list is absolutely wretched good god

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
2-0-1 split with good Spirits tonight, 2-0ing Jeskai Control and G Tron before losing 0-2 to Jeskai Saheeli in what felt like winnable games; he topdeck'd Saheeli staring down lethal game 1, Reflector Mage'd a lot of cats game 2 but didn't have a Queller for Saheeli (and he drew both of his SB sweepers- Deafening Clarion :eyepop:). Deck felt pretty good though I'll have to think about where I could put some countermagic into the sideboard (if anywhere), right now it's
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
1 Settle the Wreckage
2 Stony Silence
1 Worship

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 1, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I lost to a Gaea’s Revenge in two consecutive games of modern against a terrible rg tamp brew, with an assassin’s trophy in hand both games. I asked for a judge to clarify and three people including one off-duty judge were all wrong re: multicolored cards. Next time I’m asking to look up weird cards for their oracle text. Same guy was using dice for tokens and I lazily let him, then forgot about 0/1 plants. Rallied to go 3-1 beating jeskai, humans, and dredge. Here’s my list (I guess I’ll plug this kid’s twitch channel unless anyone thinks I shouldn’t without his permission, in which case I’ll edit it out):

Only difference is I’m playing an assassin’s trophy in place of the kitchen finks in the sideboard. Kalitas is a complete house in this deck, and can really take over a game especially if he comes down with a removal spell on turn 5. Nissa is the same in sideboarded games. I’ve been really happy with this list and winning ~60% of my matches with it in the last couple months.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I like it. It's extremely close to my latest iteration. Do you not like Twilight Mire? Also how do you feel about the 2 Decay (I run 1) and 3 Lotv vs 4?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I like it. It's extremely close to my latest iteration. Do you not like Twilight Mire? Also how do you feel about the 2 Decay (I run 1) and 3 Lotv vs 4?

I like twilight mire a lot but what do you cut from the manabase for it? A quagmire? Maybe, but I really love a manland. I like decay quite a bit in most matchups and having diversity of spot removal is really important especially against humans. I don’t think we’re specifically a Lotv deck like abzan and dredge is very prominent now so I don’t want to see multiples that often. Also i have 17 black sources, which is one less than many recommend for having double black on turn 3.

The next thing I’ll try will be going to 4 bobs and 2 trackers but not until I stumble a bit with this list.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Get yourself a choke and let the real hate in

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

2-0-1 split with good Spirits tonight, 2-0ing Jeskai Control and G Tron before losing 0-2 to Jeskai Saheeli in what felt like winnable games; he topdeck'd Saheeli staring down lethal game 1, Reflector Mage'd a lot of cats game 2 but didn't have a Queller for Saheeli (and he drew both of his SB sweepers- Deafening Clarion :eyepop:). Deck felt pretty good though I'll have to think about where I could put some countermagic into the sideboard (if anywhere), right now it's
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
1 Settle the Wreckage
2 Stony Silence
1 Worship

Thank you for playing my exact sideboard

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I like twilight mire a lot but what do you cut from the manabase for it? A quagmire? Maybe, but I really love a manland. I like decay quite a bit in most matchups and having diversity of spot removal is really important especially against humans. I don’t think we’re specifically a Lotv deck like abzan and dredge is very prominent now so I don’t want to see multiples that often. Also i have 17 black sources, which is one less than many recommend for having double black on turn 3.

The next thing I’ll try will be going to 4 bobs and 2 trackers but not until I stumble a bit with this list.

I would cut the marsh flats, I only run the 4 catacombs in mine so I can play mire. I'm also 4/2 on Bob's though. I'm on zero decay in my list, has there been any time when they've been better than any other removal? I feel like they're pretty medium right now. I'm also on 2 spellbomb main which takes up those slots.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I would cut the marsh flats, I only run the 4 catacombs in mine so I can play mire. I'm also 4/2 on Bob's though. I'm on zero decay in my list, has there been any time when they've been better than any other removal? I feel like they're pretty medium right now. I'm also on 2 spellbomb main which takes up those slots.

I also don't want the flats. But nihil is so medium, I want the 3rd tracker and the 5th walker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Thank you for playing my exact sideboard

I think I just ran out your exact 75 other than Cavern of Souls :v: I may take the Eidolons out of the board for Negate or Unified Will, and I almost picked up a third Phantasmal Image with my winnings. Other than those the list seems pretty solid, Reflector Mage is a pretty nice addition to the deck.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Decay is always better than trophy if the target is legal, which is at least half the time you’re casting trophy, right? I didn’t like having spellbombs main because I found they often weren’t enough to make the G1 dredge matchup appreciably better and my local meta doesn’t have a lot of graveyard-based combo lately.

I’ll probably take the advice here and swap the marsh flats (mine’s a bloodstained mire, gotten an opponent to make BBE with meddling mage before) for a twilight mire when I try 4/2 bob/tracker. As I was saying in the BG group on Facebook, I don’t get enough games in to have a really good sample so I definitely don’t think I have any data to say the list I have is best.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Decay is always better than trophy if the target is legal, which is at least half the time you’re casting trophy, right? I didn’t like having spellbombs main because I found they often weren’t enough to make the G1 dredge matchup appreciably better and my local meta doesn’t have a lot of graveyard-based combo lately.

I’ll probably take the advice here and swap the marsh flats (mine’s a bloodstained mire, gotten an opponent to make BBE with meddling mage before) for a twilight mire when I try 4/2 bob/tracker. As I was saying in the BG group on Facebook, I don’t get enough games in to have a really good sample so I definitely don’t think I have any data to say the list I have is best.

Oh man are we BG midrange group buddies??

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Lawnie posted:

I lost to a Gaea’s Revenge in two consecutive games of modern against a terrible rg tamp brew, with an assassin’s trophy in hand both games. I asked for a judge to clarify and three people including one off-duty judge were all wrong re: multicolored cards. Next time I’m asking to look up weird cards for their oracle text.
I don’t understand this. The relevant part of the text is the same on Oracle and the printed cards. Assassin’s Trophy is green, so I don’t get what the confusion was.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

standard.deviant posted:

I don’t understand this. The relevant part of the text is the same on Oracle and the printed cards. Assassin’s Trophy is green, so I don’t get what the confusion was.

I wasn’t sure if it was an exclusive or inclusive rule, if that makes sense. Does it mean only green, or must include green? I guess that might sound stupid but I don’t think it’s the dumbest thing to be confused about. I mean, I asked “can I target this with assassin’s trophy” and was told “no.”

Also shaneB I’m pretty sure we both have enough personal info on the other you can tell when you see my posts there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

True about decay, I'm just wondering if theres enough legal targets around top decks or bad matchups to be worth 2 slots. Personal preference issue most likely. I also run the 5th Walker, in my case a 3/2 split on Lilianas, the 4th LotV hasnt been good enough against what's popular around here and I was bringing the second LLH in a lot so I freed up a sideboard slot and made the swap.

Locally there's a ton of graveyard stuff and I'm worried about URb drakes taking off, so the 2 spellbomb have been good for me. I could be convinced to swap 1 for a decay though.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

True about decay, I'm just wondering if theres enough legal targets around top decks or bad matchups to be worth 2 slots. Personal preference issue most likely. I also run the 5th Walker, in my case a 3/2 split on Lilianas, the 4th LotV hasnt been good enough against what's popular around here and I was bringing the second LLH in a lot so I freed up a sideboard slot and made the swap.

Locally there's a ton of graveyard stuff and I'm worried about URb drakes taking off, so the 2 spellbomb have been good for me. I could be convinced to swap 1 for a decay though.

I have lots of UW players around, and decay is just insanely good there, especially since the lands from trophy are especially valuable to them. Taking azcanta off the field before it flips, through any counterspell, for 2 is great.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

I have lots of UW players around, and decay is just insanely good there, especially since the lands from trophy are especially valuable to them. Taking azcanta off the field before it flips, through any counterspell, for 2 is great.

Yeah fair point. I'm thinking of boarding at least 1 of the spellbombs and putting a decay in the main for the rptq tomorrow, since it's a more unknown field.

How have you felt about the maindeck Kalitas? I had it for a while and never drew it enough to be in love, although it's amazing some games so I still sideboarded it. Seems to be 50/50 online whether it's main, and I do like that it's one less expensive spell for Bob to flip.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I don't think I'd want it main but I've never tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Lawnie posted:

I wasn’t sure if it was an exclusive or inclusive rule, if that makes sense. Does it mean only green, or must include green? I guess that might sound stupid but I don’t think it’s the dumbest thing to be confused about. I mean, I asked “can I target this with assassin’s trophy” and was told “no.”

But can you target it with dead ringers?