Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Master Twig posted:

You know what makes a horror game instantly lose all sense of fright, suspense and atmosphere? Dying over and over to the same thing.

I recently picked up resident evil 7 and I got to the chainsaw fight and I've died at least a dozen times, probably more. I just can't beat it.

Up until that point I was loving it. I was tense and scared and really into the atmosphere and story, and now I'm just annoyed and frustrated.

I felt the same early game but the solution is to block liberally. Seriously, Ethan's arms are plated with titanium and can block 90% of damage from chainsaws, fast moving cars, giant claws, acid, explosions, fire, but you can't block bees or tiny spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Master Twig posted:

You know what makes a horror game instantly lose all sense of fright, suspense and atmosphere? Dying over and over to the same thing.

I recently picked up resident evil 7 and I got to the chainsaw fight and I've died at least a dozen times, probably more. I just can't beat it.

Up until that point I was loving it. I was tense and scared and really into the atmosphere and story, and now I'm just annoyed and frustrated.

Block, use guns liberally and always put bodybags between you and jack.

You can hit him max 2 times with chainsaw while hes stunned

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Kick the body bags into Jack and hit him while he's stunned. The fight is lovely but not hard. Just make sure to block and not attack when he prepares for an attack. It's the worst fight in the game but it should be easy if you don't just attack aimlessly.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

It's veeery early access. The blueprints for a good game are there but combat is rough and dialog is pretty terrible. Like the first NPC you meet greets you by saying "oi, oval office!" and proceeds to talk about loving two sisters out of nowhere.

dang that's spooky

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The dev's hard of hearing and thought he was supposed to make a horrifying game.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Renoistic posted:

Kick the body bags into Jack and hit him while he's stunned. The fight is lovely but not hard. Just make sure to block and not attack when he prepares for an attack. It's the worst fight in the game but it should be easy if you don't just attack aimlessly.

See, I've tried this. The bodybags stun him, but the stun period is so short that by the time I can even get to within range of him, he has recovered and just hits me anyway. I've blocked a lot, but it seems every time I block a shot from him, I get staggered for several seconds and take damage anyway. Probably less, but still definitely getting damaged.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you can also duck his chainsaw swipes if you time it right

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Well I just beat him. gently caress that fight. I did go for the full on blocking, then attacking strategy. Onward to the rest of the game, which I have really enjoyed so far. Shame that one really hard fight nearly ruined the whole thing.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Are you using PSVR? I did RE7 that way all through, and let me tell you that aiming with your face makes everything so much more fun and easier for stuff like that. You might not have had any trouble with the fight at all.

Madhouse, on the other hand...I will never admit how many times I had to re-try the Mia fight until she went down. Massive hint for when you decide to do a Madhouse run: GET OUT OF THE ROOM and keep running in and out of the hallway and side room with the crates while stopping and popping.

And yes, the blocking mechanic will be a major key to your success. It wasn't just an "option" they threw in.

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 10, 2018

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Playing on the PC. I have a Vive, but Capcom is a bunch of assholes and not making a VR PC option.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I found this to be the most optimal strategy on my Madhouse run

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_oPSu1utwh8

Its a tough fight IMO but I really liked it.

Other bosses on Madhouse though... Very stressful even if beating them is the best feeling ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-2-mod-total-chaos-is-a-remarkable-survival-horror-total-conversion/

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How in the how did they make doom 2 look like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

People somehow always do crazy things with very old games.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Can anyone recommend more stuff like The Painscreek Killing to me? I'm looking for stuff with realistic graphics, clue and puzzle solving with little hand holding.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pathologic is kind of similar, except throw in an absolutely unforgiving time limit (I'd honestly find a way to mod it out, if one exists) and some scattered obnoxious combat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can anyone recommend more stuff like The Painscreek Killing to me? I'm looking for stuff with realistic graphics, clue and puzzle solving with little hand holding.

Miasmata is in a similar place, exploring an island with realistic walking physics, following clues to cure a disease while something stalks you. I’ve also seen a lot of people talk about Return of the Obra Dinn as an excellent investigation game, though it does have extremely stylized graphics.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

The graphics are old school computer monochrome but Return of the Obra Dinn otherwise fits the bill.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Miasmata is in a similar place, exploring an island with realistic walking physics, following clues to cure a disease while something stalks you.
Sadly, it also isn't terribly good, but I have to commend that game for being where I learned how to use a map and a compass to triangulate my own position, traditional low-tech style. It makes you do so every time before it will actually show your location, but it's quick and so easy, it doesn't feel like too much of a drag.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Too Shy Guy posted:

Miasmata is in a similar place, exploring an island with realistic walking physics, following clues to cure a disease while something stalks you. I’ve also seen a lot of people talk about Return of the Obra Dinn as an excellent investigation game, though it does have extremely stylized graphics.

Obra Dinn is possibly the best detective game I've ever played but it's so good that I still haven't managed to completely solve it haha. Seconding the recommendation here, even though it's just on a boat, has stylized graphics and it's not in a realistic setting.
But what you will have is a detective game where you literally have to use every single clue you can find, from accents to jobs to certain objects you remember to figure out the various mysteries of the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
My entire community went crazy for Obra Dude when I streamed it yesterday. I had already beaten the game so I basically curated it while 4 totally blind folks tried to solve things and it was a humongously fun time.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZearothK posted:

How in the how did they make doom 2 look like that.
They didn't. It's not for the original Doom 2 but for GZDoom, a source port that's gotten a ton of bells and whistles added over the years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you're going to go through that much work, why even make this a mod of Doom 2???

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

s.i.r.e. posted:

If you're going to go through that much work, why even make this a mod of Doom 2???

Apparently he started it ten years ago so maybe it just was sunk cost at that point

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Makes sense, but god drat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And honestly, a lot of modder types just get a kick out of pushing their medium as far as it can possibly go. Sure you can always just use something entirely different where making that stuff would be easier in, but that kind of defeats the point.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, basically the actual mod is not the point, it's just a byproduct. The point is to tinker extensively with the engine.

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian

Meallan posted:

Obra Dinn is possibly the best detective game I've ever played but it's so good that I still haven't managed to completely solve it haha. Seconding the recommendation here, even though it's just on a boat, has stylized graphics and it's not in a realistic setting.
But what you will have is a detective game where you literally have to use every single clue you can find, from accents to jobs to certain objects you remember to figure out the various mysteries of the game.

Another vote for Return of the Obra Dinn. Took me 14 hours to solve and I had trouble with a few groups of people. It's my favorite game of 2018, i've never seen a game quite like it before. The Painscreek Killings scratch that same itch though but we need more games like these out there.

We are so coddled now, we need more games that are hard to beat but not because you need pixel perfect reflexes.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Any takes on HellSign? Came out today, pitch sounds interesting (investigative horror-hunting game), but I am wary of EA.

The atmosphere is pretty good especially when you first encounter new stuff. The difficulty spike is high and the beginning is fairly difficult as you have very poor gear. Enemy kills you from fast to super fast. The enemy themselves are also fairly fast, actually it's one of the few horror game where all enemy I've encountered are faster than the player sprinting. The isometric aiming system can use some tweaking because your crosshair can often get caught on the foreground, messing up your aim. A lot of enemy are small so you have to aim at the ground instead of firing in their general direction using a precision aiming mode. There's currently only three different mission types and you are expected to grind for gear over and over, which hurts the horror aspect.

The investigation part is novel but you'll be doing the same thing over and over due to the grind. Basically, you have a couple different types of sensor, the EMF and microphone are just proximity sensor and you hover over stuff until you find the source and get a sign that'll help you deduce the nature of what's haunting the place. You get a black strobe light to follow blood trail. Then there's a thermal sensor I haven't gotten to yet. At higher difficulty mission there's high background interference that makes your sensor haywire so you have to buy higher level sensor (more farming).

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just got The Forest on PS4. Man this is some nerve wracking poo poo. Is the multiplayer recommended? There's a surprising amount of people playing but I don't want to ruin the spooks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Multiplayer will make everything inherently less spooky.

It will also make it far less tedious. YMMV

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Forest is a very silly and buggy game and I think any spook factor will be lost for yoou the first time you run into a savage whooose torso model is twisted 180 degrees aroound his midsectioon. Doo multiplayer if you think it will be more interesting, the game kinda runs on exploooring stuff, might as well dooo it with friends.

[edit] god dammit, my O key is broooooken. Leaving it like this foor posterity, just because it's funny to imagine myself hooooting like an ooowl.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, if I saw a savage glitching out I would be extra spooked.

Kitty Horrorshow understands that glitches are horrifying and I wish more games leaned into uh glitch art.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

glitches are horrifying
Sadly, not these ones. It would've been an improvement over "goofy."

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The Forest is a very silly and buggy game and I think any spook factor will be lost for yoou the first time you run into a savage whooose torso model is twisted 180 degrees aroound his midsectioon. Doo multiplayer if you think it will be more interesting, the game kinda runs on exploooring stuff, might as well dooo it with friends.

[edit] god dammit, my O key is broooooken. Leaving it like this foor posterity, just because it's funny to imagine myself hooooting like an ooowl.

The haunting is coming from inside the thread!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cyberdud posted:

We are so coddled now, we need more games that are hard to beat but not because you need pixel perfect reflexes.

Sounds like you're bad at games actually

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know which is weirder that Baldis Basics has songs about it or that the Pixel 2 knows what it is.

Google result for this thing

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So its basically a lovely 90s game that's a horror game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, that's lovely even for the nineties - and I've played some of the real early stuff. Look up some gameplay footage of Ecstatica to contrast and compare. Literally everything is made of ovoids and it still looks better, on MS-DOS even.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crabtree posted:

So its basically a lovely 90s game that's a horror game?

IIRC it was a gamejam game that had the gimmick of trying to take the kind of horror tactics of various scary survival games like FNAF or Slender etc etc etc and applied them to something that is just not in any way scary at all.

I could be remembering wrong though and hopefully if I am then someone will correct me.