Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The secret to Death Spa is that, while the plot twists are muddled and confusing, the acting is ridiculous and the premise is schlocky as gently caress, the reason it works so well is all because of Arledge Armenaki's cinematography. The camera movement, lighting, blocking, framing...It all looks really good, and further emphasizes how silly the whole thing is.

Same thing with Troll 2 and Chopping Mall. They're well-shot schlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Neo Rasa posted:

decently executed red herrings

Also some decently executed swordfish.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was actually watching Microwave Massacre yesterday and my one problem with it was how badly it made my sides hurt from all the laughing I was doing. It really gets me and my working man struggles too, like how my wife won’t stop using our newfangled fancy microwave to cook gourmet food (which I hate!) I was enjoying it so much I had to stop watching it because I was worried I’d pass out from delight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

The secret to Death Spa is that, while the plot twists are muddled and confusing, the acting is ridiculous and the premise is schlocky as gently caress, the reason it works so well is all because of Arledge Armenaki's cinematography. The camera movement, lighting, blocking, framing...It all looks really good, and further emphasizes how silly the whole thing is.

Same thing with Troll 2 and Chopping Mall. They're well-shot schlock.

Speaking of movies that fit this description to a tee........

quote:

The female rock and roll band formed by Kate, Elena and Rita want to release a new album, but their producer Lavinia refuses since their songs are very poor. Their friend Daniel buys a piece of music from a stranger called Mr. Pickett (Donald Pleasence) that explains that the music was written by Paganini himself and never released. Lavinia believes that the music will become a hit and she hires the filmmaker Mark Singer to make a videoclip in a manor she has hired from her acquaintance Sylvia Hackett (Daria Nicolodi). Soon Rita and Daniel disappear and the floor collapses beneath Kate that also vanishes in the hole. The survivors try to flee from the real state but they discover that they are trapped in hell. Amusingly this film plays with similar territory to Cozzi's very first film with also involved trapped in time/time loop kinda sorta stuff.

Also the film is Italian, so of course the only reason it exists is because a biographical film about Paganini was released earlier in the same year starring Klaus Kinski (his final role). :3:

Unfortunately an actually good transfer of it can be very difficult to come across. There's a German DVD of it that has an English dub but no English subtitles and it never actually got released outside of some countries in Europe and Japan on VHS and IIRC that German DVD from like 14 years ago was its only release since and it's not even anamorphic. :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Agreed that Death Spa and Chopping Mall both look way better than you'd ever expect given the material.

Another one I'd throw in that pile is The House on Sorority Row. A pretty standard slasher but elevated by really excellent production design.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

I was actually watching Microwave Massacre yesterday and my one problem with it was how badly it made my sides hurt from all the laughing I was doing. It really gets me and my working man struggles too, like how my wife won’t stop using our newfangled fancy microwave to cook gourmet food (which I hate!) I was enjoying it so much I had to stop watching it because I was worried I’d pass out from delight.

I'm probably more merciful than most with Microwave Massacre because I remember the hugeass microwaves you could probably fit a 20lb turkey in (my grandparents had big one that needed it's own table), and I've been around people who were big on starting to cook 'fancy/classy' and not really pulling it off well. So it clicks with me a bit but I still consider it a painfully dated film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Agreed that Death Spa and Chopping Mall both look way better than you'd ever expect given the material.

Another one I'd throw in that pile is The House on Sorority Row. A pretty standard slasher but elevated by really excellent production design.

House on Sorority Row is pretty rad with that. I think that's one of the defining lines from good slasher to bad, the script can be whatever and have all the cliches and even the killer doesn't have to be an masterstroke caliber Michael Meyers or Jason but if the cinematography and atmosphere is good and can still make things feel dangerous/enthralling that goes a looooooooong way.

OH! Another one I'd pick that's super apropos for the thread's current direction is Monster Dog because it's the trifecta of this type of movie, dopey/fun schlock, monstrous dogs, and was directed by the same person who directed Troll 2. It's on Prime but if IIRC you can also just watch it on YouTube and it's actually a pretty good transfer and everything. Also it stars Alice Cooper.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 19, 2018

Violator
May 15, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

some of these are kind of wrapping around to genius

e: this one is genuinely horrifying

People always rag on Silver Bullet's werewolf looking like a bear, but I like it. Bears are loving scary and if you see the videos on them walking around on two legs around neighborhoods and looking in windows it's really frightening. It may not be a super traditional werewolf, but like the American Werewolf in London monster, it's thick enough that it at least makes a little sense that it was once a man. They also use it sparingly so when it looks in the window at the end it's scary.

Bad Moon is probably my favorite two legged werewolf. That one really feels like a berserker that has no humanity. An American Werewolf is obviously the best four legged one, and it was an interesting choice to go four legs.

I think the legs on the Dog Soldiers werewolves look dumb, like they were designed by someone who doesn't understand quadrupedal biomechanics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Violator posted:

I think the legs on the Dog Soldiers werewolves look dumb, like they were designed by someone who doesn't understand quadrupedal biomechanics.

"Once again ladies and gentlemen, MANOS: The HANDS of Fate."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The werewolf ladies in Trick R’ Treat are pretty cool, and the visual of them “shedding” their human skin is fun. If nothing else I appreciate that they got such a decent rod puppet out of such a modest budget.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I feel bad because all of the Sorority Slashers bleed together in my mind, because it's hard to give the good ones the props they deserve, like Slumber Party Massacre. I believe The House on Sorority Row is the other stand-out for how energetic the camera is and how it floats all around. It's excellent.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
It’s probably been mentioned but The Video Dead is a legit good -bad movie . I’m glad some new people were introduced to it during the scream stream

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just from a visual standpoint I think my favorite werewolf is from The Howling, although maybe it helps that the fully transformed version doesn't appear too much in the movie so you don't have much time to notice flaws.

Also, I watched The Lure last night and yea that sure was.....something. I think I actually enjoyed the music more because it was subtitled, plus it seemed written more to show the inner workings of the characters and less as way to literally describe the plot. I loved how inhuman Silver and Golden were, they're performances were very convincing as dangerous predators hanging around with their prey for fun/out of boredom.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Also, I watched The Lure last night and yea that sure was.....something. I think I actually enjoyed the music more because it was subtitled, plus it seemed written more to show the inner workings of the characters and less as way to literally describe the plot. I loved how inhuman Silver and Golden were, they're performances were very convincing as dangerous predators hanging around with their prey for fun/out of boredom.

I get "You Were The Beat of My Heart" stuck in my head like once a week.

Now that more people have seen it, and in an attempt to get more people watch it, what I love about the film is how it embraces the logic of musicals--everyone breaking out into well-choreographed dances while singing with each other perfectly--and justifies it with the siren ability of classic mermaid lore. And it's used to show the inner workings of the characters, or illustrate their world, and what's happening to them, rather than elaborating on plot or unnecessary details. It's also funny how these naturally-musical creatures totally take advantage of us stupid humans by being leading performers in the music industry.

I also really loved how being around the mermaids and wanting to love them/make love with them is shown as an addiction, complete with horrific withdrawals. It's a disturbing portrayal of both love, infatuation, lust and break-ups.

Everyone watch The Lure.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think that's what separates musicals that are watchable to me and those that I can't tolerate. The music has to be music first and foremost and not just an easy way to deliver exposition.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Just from a visual standpoint I think my favorite werewolf is from The Howling, although maybe it helps that the fully transformed version doesn't appear too much in the movie so you don't have much time to notice flaws.

The opening scene with the reporter in the adult theater is such a classic. Such a seedy and evil atmosphere. If only the film could maintain that level throughout. I still really like it though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I've probably said it before in this very thread, but the only notable thing about Microwave Massacre is that you can pinpoint the exact idea that germinated the entire movie. Someone got the idea to write, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whore," and then worked backwards from there.

Am I the only person who prefers the look of "Werewolf of London" over "The Wolf Man?" I feel like the simpler makeup of the earlier movie says "wolf" better than the mountain of yak hair Pierce used on the later film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think that's what separates musicals that are watchable to me and those that I can't tolerate. The music has to be music first and foremost and not just an easy way to deliver exposition.

Totally agreed, and I think this is the foundation of a successful horror musical.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How is Overlord? Is it more action, war procedural (i.e. men on a mission), or horror?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

It’s probably been mentioned but The Video Dead is a legit good -bad movie . I’m glad some new people were introduced to it during the scream stream

I watched this last year for the first time and I loved it. It really is pretty shaky at first but the way the third act plays out just rules.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched this last year for the first time and I loved it. It really is pretty shaky at first but the way the third act plays out just rules.

It really picks up once the brother and the ghost hunter dude show up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How is Overlord? Is it more action, war procedural (i.e. men on a mission), or horror?
More action/war movie with horror elements, but it has a few scenes with some really grotesque body horror that are pretty rad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Action movie with slight horror elements, but still a ton of fun. Go see it!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Neo Rasa posted:

House on Sorority Row is pretty rad with that. I think that's one of the defining lines from good slasher to bad, the script can be whatever and have all the cliches and even the killer doesn't have to be an masterstroke caliber Michael Meyers or Jason but if the cinematography and atmosphere is good and can still make things feel dangerous/enthralling that goes a looooooooong way.

OH! Another one I'd pick that's super apropos for the thread's current direction is Monster Dog because it's the trifecta of this type of movie, dopey/fun schlock, monstrous dogs, and was directed by the same person who directed Troll 2. It's on Prime but if IIRC you can also just watch it on YouTube and it's actually a pretty good transfer and everything. Also it stars Alice Cooper.

I want to say from searching last month that Monster Dog isn't on youtube presently, but tubi has a perfectly serviceable copy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLQLkFU-pE

https://twitter.com/Horror_Disciple/status/1064252334912479233

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 19, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not horror but horror-adjacent, does anyone have reccomendations for stuff like Deadbeat at Dawn? I'm always on the lookout for horror/exploitation/action movies that can be described using the words "crusty", "grimy", "scummy", etc.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Not horror but horror-adjacent, does anyone have reccomendations for stuff like Deadbeat at Dawn? I'm always on the lookout for horror/exploitation/action movies that can be described using the words "crusty", "grimy", "scummy", etc.

Combat Shock

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm watching Slumber Party Massacre II. What the hell

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's a bad war film with horror elements, but it's a fun watch.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mover posted:

I'm watching Slumber Party Massacre II. What the hell

The guitar makes it worth watching.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Combat Shock

I really appreciate this movie and that Troma distributed it despite their attempt to sell it like it was a Rambo knockoff.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've never seen My Soul to Take. Worth the effort to even press play?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

does an american werewolf in paris have the shittiest looking big budget (for a horror movie) werewolves?

To compare it to its predecessor is unfair, but I always kinda liked the simian look of it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I liked the look of the werewolves in the film as well but the black humor and tone of the first film is what made it memorable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

Pretty much anything by Necrostorm is gonna fit this. Taeter City and Hotel Inferno are both on Prime, I think Adam Chaplin might also be but I'm less sure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Overlord was real good. It got a little first-gen Marvel movie in the third act but overall very solid. I saw it with my friend who had zero idea of the premise in a totally empty theater. It was a great experience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

here is a horror drawing. i listened to an entire reportoftheweek VORW for it. He's the best drawing background noise ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

does an american werewolf in paris have the shittiest looking big budget (for a horror movie) werewolves?

edit: oh gently caress, some strong contenders here https://www.tor.com/2011/03/31/top-10-worst-werewolves-in-movies-a-tv/

Can't agree on the Michael Landon werewolf, though. For a low budget that was pretty cool. I honestly kinda like the werewolves that aren't wolf-shaped at all but just guys with weird fuzzy heads.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't know how anyone could hate a movie where a man makes a sandwich with a live woman stacked between two Double Dare-style bread props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Origami Dali posted:

I've never seen My Soul to Take. Worth the effort to even press play?

I watched it during the challenge and I'd say no. It's not the worst thing or Craven film but it's pretty boring and kind of a mess. There's some interesting ideas and stuff you can see Cravens hand in but it never comes together or gets fleshed out well. It actually ended up depressing me a tiny bit that it felt like Craven's last attempt at making something new to add to his list but that didn't have the drive or skill to follow through on.