Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This episode was a rollercoaster of emotions. But so drat good!
I kinda want to read the manga/novels. But at the same time, having a comfy and fun show to watch every monday isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Patware posted:

How many of these things are both really good and also actually successfully end? Like, the general mmo/isekai genre either stretches on forever or eventually just kind of stops because someone stopped paying taxes or something.

Maoyu actually has a definitive ending but is in licencing hell so oops

this is likely the result of it having like 8 different adaptions and the fun that results from that re us copyright laws

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
This is one place where the anime is definitely much better paced than the manga, Shizu's entire deathbed scene was only 5 pages in the manga. Giving much more emotional weight to one of the most pivotal moments in the story which was sorely lacking it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vorpal Cat posted:

This is one place where the anime is definitely much better paced than the manga, Shizu's entire deathbed scene was only 5 pages in the manga. Giving much more emotional weight to one of the most pivotal moments in the story which was sorely lacking it.

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority on this one but I thought this was the 2nd weakest episode so far and kind of padded out. Would probably have preferred the manga here.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Even in anime Blizzard won't stop giving out charity epics.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sasuga Studio 8-Bit. You've really knocked it outta the park today.

Next episode: Now we wait to see Rimuru identify his gender.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
I love this show

edit: episode spoilers are ok, so tag removed.

KomeradeCanadian fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 19, 2018

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Good, they went mostly with the LN's scene instead of the manga's, while also using the better change the manga did and adding a bit more. In the LN, the adventurers leave before Shizu dies, so they don't learn about it, get to say a goodbye (such as it is) or see Rimuru's new form until way later.

Agronox posted:

I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority on this one but I thought this was the 2nd weakest episode so far and kind of padded out. Would probably have preferred the manga here.

The show has been a bit off at a couple points and they did add some padding here, but if they'd put too much into this episode it would have ruined the emotional pacing of it. They would have had to cut a lot more than the padding they added if they were going to start the next arc, and that would cause bigger problems than a semi-slow episode.

Edit: Also, this isn't wholly an action story. There's going to be a good chunk of fighting, yes, but there's also a lot of story that happens outside of that.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 19, 2018

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah no actually this was the best episode so far. this moment had so much more impact slowing down and actually letting us see this conversation instead of having the details of this conversation related piecemeal after the fact, and the afterlife shot made me Feel an Emotion

the manga buzzed past this so fast i was increasingly confused about how it was clearly the single most important moment in the story so far and they attached nothing to it

the manga falls into the common isekai trap where sometimes it stops storytelling and instead is more like a recounting of events. re:monster, which is absolute trash (i read trash academically in order to take lessons in what not to do) exemplifies that rut. slime at least only occasionally veers into it

so far this is a phenomenal adaptation and is telling a story way better than the manga, presumably by blending the LN and it

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
I admit that I spoiled myself on lot of things from looking at the show's TV Tropes page, so I knew going in that Shizue would die and Rimuru would eat her to get his human form, but god drat did this episode hit me in the feels so much. They went out of their way to show that Shizue was really trying to make the most of her situation and find some happiness, but it kept getting taken away from her in some form or fashion. That she can rest peacefully inside Rimuru is probably the best end she could have gotten considering the alternatives. And that scene of her seeing the Hero and her friend in the afterlife before reuniting with her mother. I honestly teared up at that.

This show is amazing so far, and the fact that we're only 3/4 of the way through the first cour means we have a lot more to look forward to.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alfredo Jones posted:

This show is amazing so far, and the fact that we're only 3/4 of the way through the first cour means we have a lot more to look forward to.

I kind of hope this gets another seasons, we're only about 10% of the way through chapter count of the web novel at this point.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

exploded mummy posted:

I kind of hope this gets another seasons, we're only about 10% of the way through chapter count of the web novel at this point.

iirc, this season is actually a two cour, so there will be plenty more episodes to come.

This has me wondering though, do we know how well this show is doing in Japan? I haven't seen much discussions or fan art for the show as I have for, say, SSSS. Gridman.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Alfredo Jones posted:

iirc, this season is actually a two cour, so there will be plenty more episodes to come.

This has me wondering though, do we know how well this show is doing in Japan? I haven't seen much discussions or fan art for the show as I have for, say, SSSS. Gridman.

A poll I saw recently had it on second place.
Judging popularity by the amount of fanart can be a double-edged sword because of hornier fans.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If anything the next group of characters to be introduced will definitely inspire some fanart.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah I'm incredibly pleased with the route they took for this week, compared to having read the incredibly brief manga version. they didn't even hammer you with sappy music 24/7! there was genuine silence to just let the Rimuru and Shizu connection speak for itself!!

only change i would make is orc fingernails shouldn't be just tiny hooves, that poo poo is creepy

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
When I saw where it was going, I really didn't think it would be cool that he ate her. Like, how could that not seem forced for the story and for getting to the human transformation? But no, they pulled it off and it was a great episode. I'm impressed.

I hope we get a sidestory with the three adventurers coming home with new gear. There's bound to be some fun reactions to that.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that they went slow and careful here is one of the only reasons this episode even remotely worked. The core concept of it is too weird and relies too much on a cool lady character's death to really land well emotionally without that big, long, respectful scene of Shizu's confession and her passing. I'm mildly shocked that it all worked as well as it did on me. Almost kind of echoes Majora's Mask, of all things?

Weird show. Good show. Glad it exists.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

letting shizue tell the story and really laying in the backstory and giving you the idea that she'd done a lot of poo poo before we as viewers got here helped save it from feeling like they brought a woman in just to power up the protag, which is the taste the manga always left in my mouth

it helped that animation quality let us more readily see how much rear end she was capable of beating

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The fact that she was actually dying of old age that Ifrit had just been forestalling also helps lighten the fridging out a bit than if she had actually been in her prime as she appeared. It's still not an entirely satisfying turn, but given that people in here with spoilers insist that the story doesn't make a habit of that, it doesn't bother me too badly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like the slow pace, and moreover, it was so important to give this moment its full time and to get it right. This show wants to be all about respecting people's basic humanity, helping them, and doing right by them. You can't set that as your tone and then have Rimuru just gulp some lady down for the sake of a powerup. I was pleased with how well they handled it compared to the manga.

They even gave some answer to the question, "okay, but still, why does he eat her?" I can understand not wanting to leave her earthly remains in a place that caused her so much misery.

I also like that she doesn't even care about revenge against Leon. Rather she wanted to make him confront what he did and acknowledge her as a person.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I also like that she doesn't even care about revenge against Leon. Rather she wanted to make him confront what he did and acknowledge her as a person.

That bit in particular is, like, shockingly smart and thoughtful considering how light and goofy the show's run had been up to this point.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One nice thing they showed off at the end of the episode is that, even though he has a human form again, Rimuru still prefers to spend most of his free time as a slime. This is still "That time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" not "That Time I got Reincarnated as a Blue Haired Shapeshifter". The manga even goes so far as to post an apology slime picture anytime Rimuru spends a whole chapter outside of slime form.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I always feel like not a lot really happens but it's over really fast and I'm always wanting more. Whereas with a lot of other anime, I'm often checking the time to see how much is left.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

One nice thing they showed off at the end of the episode is that, even though he has a human form again, Rimuru still prefers to spend most of his free time as a slime. This is still "That time I got Reincarnated as a Slime" not "That Time I got Reincarnated as a Blue Haired Shapeshifter". The manga even goes so far as to post an apology slime picture anytime Rimuru spends a whole chapter outside of slime form.

If I could turn into an amorphous blob whenever I didn't need my thumbs or other useful bits I probably would. I bet it's very comfy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That was definitely better handled than how the manga did it, and I got a bit choked up, particularly when the three adventurers came in. They're good folks.

And yeah this world was basically hell for her, so not wanting to be buried in it vs the closest option she had to her actual home is understandable. She died in close enough to the apocalypse, got dragged into forced servitude with a curse that threatened to destroy anyone she got close to and is a constant reminder of how she died, and despite becoming an admired hero felt she had no lasting impact. You kind of lose it in the more upbeat tone of Rimuru's adventures, but he's very much the exception for people who got isekaied to this world. Shizue had a hard life and it's good that she could finally rest.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 20, 2018

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Things I liked:
Cursing this other world as she die, wishing for someone to save others from it. Burn it to the ground slime man.

Things wtf:
WHY IN GODS NAME DID YOU PUT THIS IN THE OP AND WAIT TWO MONTHS TO DO IT WHAT THE poo poo.
I was expecting shizu to hang around in some form. Like split consciousness or something. Especially when Ifrit got eaten alive last week. That didn't happen which leads too...
Yo what the gently caress rimiru you don't waste two seconds trying out this human form you absorbed? The gently caress.

I didn't like this episode or most of how Shizu was handled and am skeptical that a story setting this as the barrier for entry is worthwhile.

kater fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 20, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think he so much wasted no time in trying the human form as just kind of ended up in it as a result of eating her and was too emotional to notice immediately.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And I expect we'll get some of him figuring out the new body in the next episode; that stuff is there in the Manga and LN. I think pushing it out of this episode is the right choice since it gives over the full runtime to Shizu's story and memory.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 20, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Sasuga Studio 8-Bit. You've really knocked it outta the park today.

Next episode: Now we wait to see Rimuru identify his gender.

'Slime'.
Rimuru clearly considers slime to be his 'normal' / 'base' shape, and it is entirely lacking in glands etc. He no longer has a gender, which is why the human form is so androgynous.
(my theory anyway)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I nearly cried twice this episode, towards the end of Shizu's passing and again when the adventurers said their thanks to her. I have no idea why it hit me as hard as it did but I'm not complaining. They really did right by the character and they managed to make me really appreciate her and the impact she had on people (and the impact the world had on her) even though she was only in a few episodes all things considered. Great stuff. I love slime show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad this show has so many fans here, makes me feel validated for liking the manga when someone told me it sucked and I was a moron for recommending it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The author handles this stuff pretty well in that it acknowledges that Rimuru eating a person is a big deal, even with deathbed request and acknowledges that it isn't a form he would be comfortable to be in 24/7.

quote:

Things I liked:
Cursing this other world as she die, wishing for someone to save others from it. Burn it to the ground slime man.

Things wtf:
WHY IN GODS NAME DID YOU PUT THIS IN THE OP AND WAIT TWO MONTHS TO DO IT WHAT THE poo poo.
I was expecting shizu to hang around in some form. Like split consciousness or something. Especially when Ifrit got eaten alive last week. That didn't happen which leads too...
Yo what the gently caress rimiru you don't waste two seconds trying out this human form you absorbed? The gently caress.

I didn't like this episode or most of how Shizu was handled and am skeptical that a story setting this as the barrier for entry is worthwhile.

I agree the OP is a bit spoileriffic on this, but its also difficult to make an OP for this series and not include it. While Rimuru spends the majority of their time in slime form, the human form does still come up and this pivotal moment is pretty early on in the story, relatively speaking. There's no way the author could have folded Shizu's whole arc into an earlier part of the story without making it disingenuous (or more disingenuous, depending on your PoV).

Shizu can't hang around like Ifrit or Veldora because she's actually, honestly dead. Also as far as I know Rimuru can't really "communicate" with the things in his stomach, so Ifrit isn't hanging around like a split consciousness/voice in head.

The implication is clearly that he just absorbed Shizu's corpse and wasn't really "testing it out".

Opinions are opinions but I think it does a good job of establishing Shizu as a character, giving her motivations and stakes, and then inheriting that will to Rimuru, especially when you consider how recently she was introduced.

Could it have been drawn out more? Sure, but this is also Rimuru's tale, so it'd be a bit of a weird tangent.

I thought it was a good episode. The padding with the mini-recap was a bit jarring but I think it's somewhat unavoidable in trying to keep the mood of the episode somber. It certainly accomplished its objective in managing to make a character's passing, who we were only just introduced to, feel poignant.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think the Shizu thing really works. And having her show up in a lot of marketing stuff and the ending really cemented her as a big deal.
Which makes her faith all the more shocking, but gives it a good amount of weight.

Having this form show up in the opening, was unavoidable. And having Rimuru's human form in it, can serve as a nice hook for new viewers.
They also prominently display those Oni characters. And I'm hyped as hell for their introduction.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The oni do indeed rule and the one in the purple suit is the best

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The manga spoils the human form right away.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I was expecting him to check out his body in this episode, I hope it's not skipped since it's a fun little moment.

I hope we get to the Oni in the next episode, I've waited long enough for them already!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's a definite theme with how Rimiru eats Shizu that started with Veldora.

Rimiru ate Veldora to help the dragon because that was the only thing he could do to help. And then took on the responsibility of Veldora by invoking the storm dragon's name when protecting the Goblin Village.
With Shizu Rimiru does it again. He takes on the responsibilities and regrets that Shizu had in her passing and follows through on that. Which you could include upgrading the trio's adventuring gear in, although Rimiru is pretty generous in the first place.

Conot posted:

I agree the OP is a bit spoileriffic on this, but its also difficult to make an OP for this series and not include it.

Men In Black spoils the entire film in the first minute of introduction.

It's important to set expectations and questions in your introductions so that they can be answered without coming out of left field. Things coming out of left field tend to break immersion which is one of the worst things you can do in any work of fiction.

NowonSA posted:

I hope we get to the Oni in the next episode, I've waited long enough for them already!

I'm waiting for what the Oni set up for. And whatever the new ending will be since they've changed it a bunch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Well, the Oni are the ogres, and the next episode is titled “Attack of the Ogres,” so that’s pretty safe bet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I liked very much how this episode showed Shizue's transition from 'working for the demon lord' to 'adventurer'. That's never mentioned in the Manga which kind of gives you the impression she was more or less just left to do whatever once Ifrit was implanted within her.

Also nice to know how she came by the mask, another thing not addressed by the manga. The 'dying' scene stretched on a bit too long, and I kept expecting her to start getting old BEFORE she died (Since that's what convinced Rimuru she couldn't simply be healed in the first place) but it still worked out well.

Next episode is going to be great (With the new human-form and some upcoming great sage stuff I won't spoil) but I expect the one after that (I'm assuming we won't see the ogre-to-oni transformation until episode 10) will be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

khy posted:

I liked very much how this episode showed Shizue's transition from 'working for the demon lord' to 'adventurer'. That's never mentioned in the Manga which kind of gives you the impression she was more or less just left to do whatever once Ifrit was implanted within her.

Also nice to know how she came by the mask, another thing not addressed by the manga.

This omission is super weird considering: the relevance of The Hero to the overall story. Like, it's not a minor plot point, and the Manga just snips it right out.