Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Motronic posted:

You make a 5 year cash runway and/or quit or change jobs so you can start roth conversions until you are 59.5.

If you retire at 55 you can start pulling from your 401k penalty free.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/401k/2018/02/21/can-i-get-money-from-my-401k-at-55.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

If you retire at 55 you can start pulling from your 401k penalty free.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/401k/2018/02/21/can-i-get-money-from-my-401k-at-55.aspx

That only works if you wait until your are 55 and only for the 401(k) account with that employer and doesn't include previous rollovers in that account as far as I recall.

So that's a very specific outlier scenario for an already outlier scenario, but sure....I think it's possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just searched relationships, personal finance, and legal advice for "boyfriend," "girlfriend," and "unemployed."

There were a lot of entries, but they were all exactly the same and mostly boring:

- Girlfriend is employed, usually makes a small amount of money, and is the breadwinner.
- Boyfriend is unemployed and mad at her for pressuring him or being controlling with money.
- Girl refuses to consider breaking up and wants budgeting advise.
- Girl is obviously miserable and sinking deeper into debt/treading water.

Just over and over. The ages were all over the place too; from 19 to 40.

How do people get into these situations and refuse to ever bail? And how are these guys so unmotivated to do anything getting into relationships and with people so dedicated to staying with them?

I got through about 15 entries before I just got bored and sad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

That only works if you wait until your are 55 and only for the 401(k) account with that employer and doesn't include previous rollovers in that account as far as I recall.

So that's a very specific outlier scenario for an already outlier scenario, but sure....I think it's possible.

Not that much of an outlier. If you have a solid overall portfolio you can accumulate enough in your "last" 401k to bridge 4.5 years to access the rest. That's a huge tool if you're on track for early retirement.

I get medical if I stay until 55 at my company and have ten years service.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just searched relationships, personal finance, and legal advice for "boyfriend," "girlfriend," and "unemployed."

There were a lot of entries, but they were all exactly the same and mostly boring:

- Girlfriend is employed, usually makes a small amount of money, and is the breadwinner.
- Boyfriend is unemployed and mad at her for pressuring him or being controlling with money.
- Girl refuses to consider breaking up and wants budgeting advise.
- Girl is obviously miserable and sinking deeper into debt/treading water.

Just over and over. The ages were all over the place too; from 19 to 40.

How do people get into these situations and refuse to ever bail? And how are these guys so unmotivated to do anything getting into relationships and with people so dedicated to staying with them?

I got through about 15 entries before I just got bored and sad.

Boomers and early Gen X raised a generation of children.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TraderStav posted:

Boomers and early Gen X raised a generation of children.

Boomers and early Gen X are the most spoiled and dumbest generations to walk the face of the Earth, no surprise they'd gently caress yet another thing up and then blame someone else

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Not that much of an outlier. If you have a solid overall portfolio you can accumulate enough in your "last" 401k to bridge 4.5 years to access the rest. That's a huge tool if you're on track for early retirement.

Bring out the guillotine, but $83,250 plus gains, even in this market, ain't gonna cut it. And if I lived somewhere that it would I wouldn't be making "max out my 401(k)" money.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shamelessly stolen from the Bitcoin thread.

God yes that's the stuff!!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

Bring out the guillotine, but $83,250 plus gains, even in this market, ain't gonna cut it. And if I lived somewhere that it would I wouldn't be making "max out my 401(k)" money.

Not sure where that number comes from. You think people are still job hopping every 3 years in their 50s? Not terrible to assume someone got a job at 45 and settled in for a decade before retiring at 55. That's 185,000 plus gains. If you can't make that work over 4.5 years you probably need the guillotine yourself.

This is of course assuming you saved well and kept costs reasonably low so that you can afford to retire at 55.

poo poo, what thread am I in?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Shamelessly stolen from the Bitcoin thread.

God yes that's the stuff!!!

Yes but have you ever considered the following:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Yes but have you ever considered the following:

Yeah, if you work 40 hours plus weekend overtime at Subway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Not sure where that number comes from.

4.5 x $18,500. It's a "worst case" scenario that is actually not even worst case if you invest wrong or the market in general is plummeting. You know, basic sane retirement assumptions for a portfolio.

But you YOLO however you like.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Motronic posted:

4.5 x $18,500. It's a "worst case" scenario that is actually not even worst case if you invest wrong or the market in general is plummeting. You know, basic sane retirement assumptions for a portfolio.

But you YOLO however you like.

I don't think you understand the math. You don't contribute to your 401k in the 4.5 years after you retire until 59.5, you are withdrawing. I'll lay out a potential plan, this assumes you have enough in your entire portfolio to retire at 55. Just assume that.

Person gets job at company X at age 45 and contributes max to 401k of $18,500, assuming max never lifts he has $185,000 in contributions at age 55. Ignoring gains of $83k if we go with 8% that means to provide income until this person can access the REST of their retirement portfolio they have a bit over $40k a year (plus six months) on just the contributions to live on. Not crazy if they have a paid off house at that stage.

Not an uncommon scenario for high savers or dual income folks to have enough to retire in mid 50s. This is a solution to enact that without having to have 4.5 years income in taxable accounts, which these folks likely do because they rock at finance.

Comprende now?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

they have a bit over $40k a year (plus six months) on just the contributions to live on. Not crazy if they have a paid off house at that stage.

That might be enough to almost pay for their health insurance

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I don't think you understand the math. You don't contribute to your 401k in the 4.5 years after you retire until 59.5, you are withdrawing. I'll lay out a potential plan, this assumes you have enough in your entire portfolio to retire at 55. Just assume that.

Person gets job at company X at age 45 and contributes max to 401k of $18,500, assuming max never lifts he has $185,000 in contributions at age 55. Ignoring gains of $83k if we go with 8% that means to provide income until this person can access the REST of their retirement portfolio they have a bit over $40k a year (plus six months) on just the contributions to live on. Not crazy if they have a paid off house at that stage.

Not an uncommon scenario for high savers or dual income folks to have enough to retire in mid 50s. This is a solution to enact that without having to have 4.5 years income in taxable accounts, which these folks likely do because they rock at finance.

Comprende now?

So now you're doing "best" case math. I don't think you understood what I was saying, but shine on you crazy diamond.

And read the post above this one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Best case math is you earn 0% over 10 years?

Jesus, I knew this thread was dark, but not this dark.

Real cynics in here.

If the market tanked that bad (50% loss over a decade is catastrophic), then the plan failed and you work longer. Not a lot of rocket surgeons in here.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Probably something of a sick system.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TraderStav posted:

Best case math is you earn 0% over 10 years?

Jesus, I knew this thread was dark, but not this dark.

Real cynics in here.

If the market tanked that bad (50% loss over a decade is catastrophic), then the plan failed and you work longer. Not a lot of rocket surgeons in here.

My dude, have you looked at the markets lately?

Keeping your money is a good outcome over the next 30+ years, because it means our economy hasn't entirely collapsed under the effects of global warming.

Also, noticed in my benefits package renewal that the IRS upped the 401k limit for 2019 to $19k.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 20, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Volmarias posted:

While IMO industry experience counts for more than a Master's, I'm also not an unthinking, automated HR resume scanner (that may or may not be human) that prizes the applicant with "Masters" more highly, or discards management position applications for resumes without it.

a year at amazon or microsoft is worth way more than a masters (especially on a resume if you need a job), even ignoring the 360k delta he’s looking at

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

women are socialized to feel worthless if they’re not in a relationship and people can be really dedicated and driven when it comes to doing nothing

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
If he’s $160K at Amazon he should just go work for a less demanding company for like, $140K. Less demanding being basically any other company (other than Asian companies where they work people to death so often that there’s a term for that phenomenon in their society).

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 20, 2018

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Maybe the poster can use the MS to launch themselves into more interesting projects instead of doing bottom of the barrel stuff that BS level engineers end up doing. Sounds like they have more on their mind than simply how big a paycheck can be.

The anti-intellectualism of "don't get a masters, a year's of industry experience is more valuable than any amount of education" is sickening.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
academia is poo poo and doesn't contribute to any sort of intellectualism.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shipon posted:

Maybe the poster can use the MS to launch themselves into more interesting projects instead of doing bottom of the barrel stuff that BS level engineers end up doing. Sounds like they have more on their mind than simply how big a paycheck can be.

The anti-intellectualism of "don't get a masters, a year's of industry experience is more valuable than any amount of education" is sickening.

It's hilariously sad and short-sighted. A "normal" masters takes 2-3 years, and some prestigious places don't even offer a terminal masters track. The quickie masters at places like MIT/Stanford/wherever this guy is takes only an extra year. At a minimum, it will ensure he is pretty much never screened/passed over for any higher level job because he only has a BS. Who knows, maybe he'll decide that being a code monkey isn't for him and he'll decide to do something completely different. In any case, the job at Amazon will be there next year. Starting work at 22 vs 23 is a drop in the bucket.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 20, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if the brother is not sure what he wants to do i think it's a good idea to go do some work before deciding on additional more specialized academic qualifications but what do i know, i stopped after my BA

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shipon posted:

Do you have any actual experience to back this up?

Also lol if you think a 1 year master's degree makes someone more intellectual.

Also, this:

Methanar posted:

academia is poo poo and doesn't contribute to any sort of intellectualism.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

In any case, the job at Amazon will be there next year.
Not necessarily. And even if it is, there may be more applicants. Or they may really just need fresh BS grads. Or he might wash out of the Master's for reasons outside his control.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Since no one is going to convince anyone here, I'll keep it short.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if the brother is not sure what he wants to do i think it's a good idea to go do some work before deciding on additional more specialized academic qualifications but what do i know, i stopped after my BA

No. The M. Eng is only a year.

Dik Hz posted:

Do you have any actual experience to back this up?

Yes.

Dik Hz posted:

Not necessarily. And even if it is, there may be more applicants. Or they may really just need fresh BS grads. Or he might wash out of the Master's for reasons outside his control.

No. The job will be there next year. Or maybe he'll attract the eye of a more attractive place to work for than Amazon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

My dude, have you looked at the markets lately?

Keeping your money is a good outcome over the next 30+ years, because it means our economy hasn't entirely collapsed under the effects of global warming.

Also, noticed in my benefits package renewal that the IRS upped the 401k limit for 2019 to $19k.

Recent markets shouldn't change your investment planning. If it happens when you need to retire you may need to delay retirement, but over a longer period these are just blips.

A 45 year old should not be in 100% stocks, so should be insulated. Find a ten year period where a 50/50 portfolio returned negative (let alone -50% like the other example lol). Don't forget to include interest and dividends. There isn't one

Basic risk management.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Obligatory

https://www.fresnostate.edu/jcast/fresnostatehorses/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Horses AND student loan debt?!

Awesome start to my day MB

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Full disclosure, I tried to search for masters degrees for horses, not masters degrees working with horses, so in that regard, I failed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Murderball posted:

Full disclosure, I tried to search for masters degrees for horses, not masters degrees working with horses, so in that regard, I failed.

University of Mane
Neighbraska State University
Fowling Green
Michigan State University

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Residency Evil posted:

Since no one is going to convince anyone here, I'll keep it short.

Yes.
By all means, feel free to share your own experience. For the record, I hire PhD, Master's and BS level Chemists, ChemEs, and MatSci's.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

I'm the pictures with only women in them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My personal experience was that when I applied for a management job with ten years of experience but no master, I was less qualified with the guy with no experience but a master.

Then six months later when I finished my master, I was suddenly qualified to be a manager :shrug:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Shipon posted:

Nah dog it's not anti-intellectualism you just don't need a degree to make fat stacks in software, period end, full stop. You can have literally no degree and make six figures in not HCOL cities in America in software.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shipon posted:

Do you not understand the tech landscape or are you desperately clinging to your sunk cost?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I got my BS, thought about a masters but decided to work instead. Worked for three years, then went back because I had a much better idea of what work was like, what I wanted, and confirmed I actually did want to do this as a career. Got my Master's after two years and been working for five after that.

Been thinking about a PhD but it would lock me out of the stuff I actually most enjoy doing and it's hella late in my career to do that

I highly recommend it to anybody with the option, I came back to school way more focused and with relevant experience to share and build on.

To bring it back to BWM, it took a while to adjust back to a students salary. I had a bunch of money saved up because I anticipated that, but still blew through it all the first semester because I'd gotten used to eating out all the time and still saving money - no longer possible on a grad student stipend.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
One of my coworkers today was explaining that they finally finished trying to get a new car with fewer miles and lower their monthly payment. She had about 95,000 miles on her current car.

She ended up going to a bunch of websites and dealerships to try and find something with fewer miles and lower payments. Then, when she couldn't find any for a while, she got frustrated and just decided to buy one from the dealership with fewer miles because she was committed to the idea and the time she spent on it.

She ended up trading in her car for a used car from a dealership with 88,000 miles on it, rolled her negative equity into this new car (I don't know how much, but she said that she got $4,000 credit for the trade-in, which was a 2014 Ford Escape, and rolled the rest of the loan into the new loan), and got a new 6-year loan with the same monthly payments.

She was also praised as smart for doing this by my boss because she has the same monthly payments, but 7,000 fewer miles. This is the same boss who went to get her car serviced at the dealership and ended up leaving with "a free upgrade" to the 2018 model of her car, where basically the same thing happened.

She has 30 days to return it and I gently suggested she might want to do that. But, my boss jumped in and said, "Why would she do that? She got lower miles with the same cost. I did the the same thing and it worked out fine."

I just left it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 20, 2018