Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rdr2 thoughts....
The epilogues should have been the start of the game and gone from there cause if not for the rear end controls, shootouts that last 30 men too long, and finicky jank happening everywhere i might actually be able to enjoy this story vs the painful crap of the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Finished MM3D

It's easy to forget how surreal the overarching narrative of this game is when all the surreality is crammed into the opening and closing half hours. The melancholy, somber atmosphere pervades throughout but everything basically makes sense in between learning the song of healing and playing the oath to order. This game makes it really easy to ask fundamental questions like "is this world even real?" and "who even are any of the main characters?" and not have any answers besides the ones you come up with yourself, but with just enough tantalizing clues that it isn't all just pointlessly vague. And yet it does all of that in a way that's hidden enough that a child getting this for christmas can just enjoy the fun follow up adventure to Ocarina of Time. I could gush about the storytelling in this game for hours but it's all been done in a million different internet posts so I won't

Having replayed both recently I still think I like Ocarina of Time more, though. The dungeon design is better (though the items are kinda crap, practically every dungeon reward as an adult is extremely lame) and while Majora has the kind of story you can think about for hours, Ocarina just has an absolutely pitch-perfect telling of a very simple but extremely satisfying concept. And its no slouch when it comes to storytelling through atmosphere itself. Exploring Hyrule for a second time as an adult is done absolutely perfectly and it's very satisfying to restore each area one by one to the life it had as a child (sucks you can't unfreeze zora's domain). It's truly a masterpiece game that deserves its spot on the top ten games of all time.

After playing both of the N64 Zeldas again back to back like this I now have a strong emotional attachment to Link having Epona and my annoyance that she isn't in Breath of the Wild has returned.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Himuro posted:

Wait they rereleased Castlevania 64? I thought it had a sequel.

the "sequel" reuses a bunch of areas and even has the first game (minus voices in the cutscenes) as an unlockable bonus

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I thought she was but only by using an amiibo

Buy your friend back

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Rdr2 thoughts....
The epilogues should have been the start of the game and gone from there cause if not for the rear end controls, shootouts that last 30 men too long, and finicky jank happening everywhere i might actually be able to enjoy this story vs the painful crap of the main game.

that's because the epilogue ties into rdr1, a game with a better story

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Life is Strange - Episode 5: Irreversiblé :stare:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

that's because the epilogue ties into rdr1, a game with a better story

Its true

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Also more melancholy games imo, I crave that vague sense of sadness, cram it into my games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also more melancholy games imo, I crave that vague sense of sadness, cram it into my games

Go play koudelka, shadow hearts, and shadow hearts covenant

They're not super sad or melancholy but they hit certain points that feel that way imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Himuro posted:

Wait they rereleased Castlevania 64? I thought it had a sequel.

Castlevania Legacy of Darkness is technically a prequel but it’s basically a remake of the original where it’s like 90% the same maps and enemies with a bunch of fixes and a new story. It even has the original campaigns built in with the new content and updated maps.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

Go play koudelka, shadow hearts, and shadow hearts covenant

They're not super sad or melancholy but they hit certain points that feel that way imo
Koudelka is definitely a melancholy game though.

A lot of some of the best melancholy games I can think of are adventure games if that's cool with you, i.e. Edith Finch, Firewatch, Night in the Woods, Kentucky Route Zero.

Also Rule of Rose and Silent Hill 2.

May 8, 2006

These are all good games - I think I've played all of them except Rule of Rose and Kouldelka. Both exist in my nebulous 'I would like to play these someday but who knows when' list.

May 8, 2006

Oh and also give me KR0 episode 5 already god drat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i think its hilarious that the motivating force of rdr2's final parts is that you care more about what happens to john than to any of the boring new characters

rockstar are such a loving waste

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

i think its hilarious that the motivating force of rdr2's final parts is that you care more about what happens to john than to any of the boring new characters

Yeah but what about the horse balls?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Relax Or DIE posted:

These are all good games - I think I've played all of them except Rule of Rose and Kouldelka. Both exist in my nebulous 'I would like to play these someday but who knows when' list.
Just emulate them if you do, Koudelka is a bit pricey and Rule of Rose costs an arm and a leg nowadays.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watching The Little Drummer Girl and man someone should make a John Le Carre game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been pretty content to have Oracle of Ages as my favorite Zelda for years now because it has the best dungeon design and world exploration but it absolutely does not nail the atmosphere the way the N64 Zeldas (or, hell, any of the Nintendo-made Zeldas since Link to the Past) do. I think I'm going to revise my top Zeldas list to

1) Ocarina of Time
2) Oracle of Ages
3) Breath of the Wild
4) Majora's Mask
5) Wind Waker HD, which I haven't actually played but in my head it's the same as GCN Wind Waker but with the rupee grinding for tingle removed

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

Watching The Little Drummer Girl and man someone should make a John Le Carre game
Have you played Spycraft?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

How is 14? I’ve been vaguely eyeing it for the PS4 since it’s on sale at the moment and it seems like the extreme flexibility of the classes is very player friendly.

it's insanely good but you could get most of the experience by listening to all the boss music on youtube instead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sadie and Charles are great. gently caress Marston.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Arthur is great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Arthur is great.

*Cough cough*

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MANGOES

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The best part about RDR2 is that the plot makes Dutch out to be a complete simpleton who shouldn't even be alive, let alone in charge of hundreds of followers, and no one should trust him to do anything.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Iconoclasts
Link's Awakening/Majora's Mask
Nier/Nier: Automata
Night in the Woods
Persona 3 (warning: bad JRPG, good melancholy game)
Transistor
Xenosaga (warning: bad JRPG, good melancholy game)

edit: Hollow Knight

Microcline fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 20, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Dark Souls.

Also those are both fine to good JRPGs.

edit: wait I was thinking of Xenogears.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
rdr2's story is way better than the first one's tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always felt like people have rose colored nostalgia for the first RDR. It had a lot of really boring missions and very few characters I really thought were great. Mexico is just boring and annoying. The opening cut scene is fantastic and the open world stuff was great but the actual story missions were like 90% crap

Now someone tell me everything I just said applies to 2 as well

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I liked Mexico. That boat ride and the song might stick with me forever. It did have less memorable characters, and almost no likeable ones (but that's almost every Rockstar game). Controls were less of a convoluted mess, too.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

It was cool in the first RDR how I could get off my horse and not suddenly have only pistols.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the first RDR was good. no no not redemption, red dead revolver

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if they'll ever remake red dead revolver

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

I wonder if they'll ever remake red dead revolver
they won't, just like they'll never remake the good gta: gta 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me that I have absolutely no memory of red dead revolver at all and also insomnia so I guess I'll watch a let's play or something

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Microcline posted:

Iconoclasts
Link's Awakening/Majora's Mask
Nier/Nier: Automata
Night in the Woods
Persona 3 (warning: bad JRPG, good melancholy game)
Transistor
Xenosaga (warning: bad JRPG, good melancholy game)

edit: Hollow Knight

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It ain't melancholy but watching this before bed is invoking some emotions for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM18ZK9mOY

The more I think the more I real how horrifying the phrase "Fallout and Creation engine, but now with shitloads of other players" is

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ninja Gaiden is going a lot smoother now that I've dialled the difficulty down. Ripping through zombies with the Vigoorian Flail feels sweet af.

Innocuous Owl
Apr 9, 2011

Sneaky Pig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
why

• Locked thread