Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mindy St. Claire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This isn't a "weird" story but it's an off-the-wall one:

DJ with country's smallest audience given show by the BBC.

This guy became interested in broadcasting listening to pirate stations in the 60s and in the 70s he and his friends set up his own in his garden shed. However, he didn't have a licence to broadcast, so he beamed his show into his own front room, where his wife - his only listener - listened to his show.

He was profiled in 1974 by the BBC, who reported on his status as the DJ with the smallest audience and this profile was recently unearthed and republished online, which prompted local BBC stations to track him down and offer him his own one-hour show over Christmas to realise his dream of broadcasting to all of Stevenage.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

This guy became interested in broadcasting listening to pirate stations in the 60s and in the 70s he and his friends set up his own in his garden shed. However, he didn't have a licence to broadcast, so he beamed his show into his own front room, where his wife - his only listener - listened to his show.

He was profiled in 1974 by the BBC, who reported on his status as the DJ with the smallest audience and this profile was recently unearthed and republished online, which prompted local BBC stations to track him down and offer him his own one-hour show over Christmas to realise his dream of broadcasting to all of Stevenage.

That is extremely cute

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Archbishop of Melbourne suggests gay teachers more acceptable if they live far away from school

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Referee banned for using rock-paper-scissors backed by 100s of officials

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
“You can’t use your silly games to decide our silly games. That would be silly”

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Ridiculous event planned to protest Bunnings’ sausage sizzle change

quote:

A Facebook event for a protest in Sydney asks social media users to gather at a Bunnings store, throw some onion on the ground and all slip on it together.
Some attendees even decided they couldn’t wait until next month to start the protest, with multiple people uploading videos of them practising slipping on onions.

The headline they used on their news feed just gets straight to the point though

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

That story made me smile. It’s almost too pure and wholesome to believe. I mean, really:

quote:

Mr Duncan, who has since moved to Stockport, Greater Manchester, still broadcasts Radio 77 to "the smallest audience in the country" - his wife.

Amazing.

*5 seconds later* We regret to inform you that the Stevenage DJ votes BNP.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

mrkillboy posted:

The headline they used on their news feed just gets straight to the point though

The dumbest thing to protest being protested in the dumbest way possible :australia:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That story made me smile. It’s almost too pure and wholesome to believe. I mean, really:

That's a super indulgent wife or maybe she really is into his show, who knows

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jobson groeth posted:

The dumbest thing to protest being protested in the dumbest way possible :australia:

Arson would be a reasonable response if Bunnings stopped servings onions entirely, but putting them under the sausage? Meh.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

That's a super indulgent wife or maybe she really is into his show, who knows

It seems like a ritual that makes both of them happy and it’s been decades of it going on so I’m leaning on the side of both of them enjoying it. She knows it’s his passion and he knows his audience, literally, and plays specifically for her

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Why are people buying sausage at a hardware store and why is it served on supermarket white bread?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Why are people buying sausage at a hardware store and why is it served on supermarket white bread?

Because that's How Things Are Done.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

Wait till you find out about voting in Australia.

ne: Democracy Sausage Wikipedia link

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

rodbeard posted:

Coz.
https://youtu.be/2dHQxNCIYUE

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m the Australian drone pilot who’s super proud of my block store to the point where I’m presenting it like an episode of Homes of the Rich and Famous

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

rodbeard posted:

To answer both your questions, fundraising and a loaf of bread is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of hot dogs buns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Costco has hot dogs, and Bunnings has sausages. :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mrkillboy posted:

quote:

A Facebook event for a protest in Sydney asks social media users to gather at a Bunnings store, throw some onion on the ground and all slip on it together. 
Some attendees even decided they couldn’t wait until next month to start the protest, with multiple people uploading videos of them practising slipping on onions.

In solidarity, touring comedy group The Slipnutz staged a protest of their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f58MYzb5nNQ

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Florida man is really using his superpowers: "Report: Florida man arrested for having sex with miniature horse"
Allegedly he used a condom so as to not contract a disease from the horse.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/...k&ICID=ref_fark

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Florida is going to kick that sicko out of the state. For using a condom.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pangstrom posted:

Florida is going to kick that sicko out of the state. For using a condom.

He besmirched the horse's honor by implying it had a disease.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Azathoth posted:

He besmirched the horse's honor by implying it had a disease.

#minihorsehonor

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Florida man is really using his superpowers: "Report: Florida man arrested for having sex with miniature horse"
Allegedly he used a condom so as to not contract a disease from the horse.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/...k&ICID=ref_fark

Every time I read something like this, I keep thinking of the 'His wife, a horse!?' thing from some years back.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Every time I read something like this, I keep thinking of the 'His wife, a horse!?' thing from some years back.

You can take the test right here if you’re not sure!

http://isyourgirlfriendahorse.com/

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

#minihorsehonor

Little Sebastian!?

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The robot that will save you a parking spot on Black Friday: MyPark app deploys automated place-holders in malls across the US

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6407307/The-robot-save-parking-space-Black-Friday.html

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Download the MyPark app and make an account.

Then, enter your destination and select a parking space from the map.

Each spot costs a few dollars to reserve.

After a spot is reserved and paid for, MyPark automatically deploys its robot device that will hold the space until you arrive.

Once you get to your destination, tap 'Let me in' on the app and the robot collapses so that your car can drive over it.

Users can book a spot for immediate use or up to six months in advance.

(I foresee nothing bad at all happening to or because of these stupid little robots, especially during a Black Friday craze.....)

cinni has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Nov 20, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cinni posted:

The robot that will save you a parking spot on Black Friday: MyPark app deploys automated place-holders in malls across the US

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6407307/The-robot-save-parking-space-Black-Friday.html

HOW DOES IT WORK?

After a spot is reserved and paid for, MyPark automatically deploys its robot device that will hold the space until you arrive.

Once you get to your destination, tap 'Let me in' on the app and the robot collapses so that your car can drive over it.

(I foresee nothing bad at all happening to or because of these stupid little robots, especially during a Black Friday craze.....)

They'll kill man or machine for a Ps4

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So uh...what's stopping me from picking the robot up and moving it a space over? And what if someone parks in your spot after payment and before deployment?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Scathach posted:

So uh...what's stopping me from picking the robot up and moving it a space over? And what if someone parks in your spot after payment and before deployment?

As if people are going to pick it up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

A dark mirror to this sweet news: US metal rocker spends a lot of money buying tickets to his own UK tour.

The short version of the story is Jered Threatin has his own metal band and went on tour in the UK, where the presale tickets are always sold out but the number of people who showed up can literally be counted on one hand. This happens at every venue he's playing, and it turns out he has been buying all the unsold tickets himself. Future gigs have all been cancelled and the band members he hired for the tour quit out of embarrassment. Also his brother who has his own band is pissed at Jered for ruining his reputation by association.

cinni posted:

HOW DOES IT WORK?

I remember someone pitching a parking space reservation app on Shark Tank and I think he did not get a deal because of the issues with its implementation. I guess the answer is robots?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ants in Florida Collect the Skulls of Other Ants to Decorate Their Nests

:black101:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

dulce et decorum est pro inebriata labori

Should be 'Dulce et decorum est pro inebrietate laborare' IIRC.

syscall girl posted:

My limited latin informs me this translates to "it's a beautiful thing to be drunk at work"

don't ruin this for me nerds

"It's a beautiful and fitting thing to work for/towards drunkenness."

Sorry.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

call center manager posted:

Should be 'Dulce et decorum est pro inebrietate laborare' IIRC.

"It's a beautiful and fitting thing to work for/towards drunkenness."

Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm glad Latin dead.