Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Alas, Twitter ate it. But I'll see if I can piece it together from notes when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

latinotwink1997 posted:

I personally like longer books and having to invest more time to read them. Why? I don’t quite know the answer to that. If Le Guin is ~200 pages, it wouldn’t hold my interest long enough to be worth it, regardless of the quality.

More things happen in A Wizard of Earthsea than in some 1000 page doorstoppers, and all of it memorable.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
So I saw a couple Kingkiller Chronicles at my local library. I’ve never read them and wondered: can these books truly make a chronicles?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's false advertising. The framing device makes it explicit that they are actually the Kingkiller Anecdote.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's false advertising. The framing device makes it explicit that they are actually the Kingkiller Anecdote.

Also no kings get killed. Or are ever likely to unless Rothfuss runs out of money.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I’m rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is a way better story about a 15 year old magic prodigy with an unusual hair color. It’s convinced me that long fantasy stories gain the most by being done in animation (where ridiculous things come off as less ridiculous) and also reminds me how badly Kingkiller maintains a sense of tension.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

We're supposed to feel tension? I remember just wondering when the gently caress the Chandrian were going to come back.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The only tension comes from wondering when Bast and Kvothe will bump uglies.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is the story of some gently caress and his student loans.

Yeah I think other things happen but I don't remember them. I listened to the audiobook so I spent most of the time trying to differentiate between "talent pipes" and "talent coins."

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

We're supposed to feel tension? I remember just wondering when the gently caress the Chandrian were going to come back.

Hey, we don't know if there will some day be an attractive woman who isn't overtly bad but also doesn't want to gently caress him.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ccs posted:

So I’m rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood which is a way better story about a 15 year old magic prodigy with an unusual hair color. It’s convinced me that long fantasy stories gain the most by being done in animation (where ridiculous things come off as less ridiculous) and also reminds me how badly Kingkiller maintains a sense of tension.

Trap sprung and all that poo poo but it works in FMA while it fails here because the central event in the story is Ed and Al being severely punished for their prodigious nature, and because in practice all Ed's genius really allows him to do is function at the level of seasoned adults he's surrounded with rather than being able to own them all

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Karnegal posted:

Hey, we don't know if there will some day be an attractive woman who isn't overtly bad but also doesn't want to gently caress him.

A lady who doesn't want to gently caress Kvothe? You've lost your mind.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Ccs posted:

Okay but hear me out:

KKC would not be significantly improved by being animated and FMA:B would not be significantly worse if it were a book series. The difference between the two isn’t about how ridiculous things look, it’s that KKC is a bad story with bad characters and FMA:B is a good story with good characters. FMA:B has actual clear themes that the story directly supports, KKC does not.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Benson Cunningham posted:

A lady who doesn't want to gently caress Kvothe? You've lost your mind.
Pretty sure that was the joke.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Doctor Faustine posted:

Okay but hear me out:

KKC would not be significantly improved by being animated and FMA:B would not be significantly worse if it were a book series. The difference between the two isn’t about how ridiculous things look, it’s that KKC is a bad story with bad characters and FMA:B is a good story with good characters. FMA:B has actual clear themes that the story directly supports, KKC does not.

I think Kingkiller wouldn’t be as bad animated because a 15 year old being awesome at everything comes off as less absurd in animation. It would probably be an above average anime when compared with all the Isekai nonsense that sells like hot cakes. I can’t picture real people in the setting saying the lines from Kingkiller but I can imagine that dialogue from anime characters.
Characters like Auri would also fit better because she’s basically an anime cliche already. I cannot imagine that character in any way being played by a real human and coming off as anything less than grossly insulting

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You haven't explained how being an anime would improve the book; you have merely stated the obvious fact that anime is bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Sounds like Rothfuss probably watches lots of anime

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Ccs posted:

I think Kingkiller wouldn’t be as bad animated because a 15 year old being awesome at everything comes off as less absurd in animation. It would probably be an above average anime when compared with all the Isekai nonsense that sells like hot cakes. I can’t picture real people in the setting saying the lines from Kingkiller but I can imagine that dialogue from anime characters.
Characters like Auri would also fit better because she’s basically an anime cliche already. I cannot imagine that character in any way being played by a real human and coming off as anything less than grossly insulting

Counterpoint: Sword Art Online is an anime about a fifteen year old being awesome at everything and, even though it’s animated, it still loving sucks.

The problem with KKC isn’t that it’s hard to buy a character being good at everything in book format. The problems with KKC are it’s meandering nonplot, complete lack of stakes, and extremely bland characters. None of these things would improve by virtue of it being animated; in fact, the only way animating KkC could improve it would be if in the adaptation process they changed a shitload about it.

Literally the only thing you’ve proven is that most anime fans have 0 standards.

Doctor Faustine fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 19, 2018

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Doctor Faustine posted:

Counterpoint: Sword Art Online is an anime about a fifteen year old being awesome at everything and, even though it’s animated, it still loving sucks.

The problem with KKC isn’t that it’s hard to buy a character being good at everything in book format. The problems with KKC are it’s meandering nonplot, complete lack of stakes, and extremely bland characters. None of these things would improve by virtue of it being animated; in fact, the only way animating KkC could improve it would be if in the adaptation process they changed a shitload about it.

Literally the only thing you’ve proven is that most anime fans have 0 standards.

That's not fair at all Kirito is good at one thing, Kvothe isn't just good at music, and applies that to magic or something no hes good at EVERYTHING, except for relationships.

Basically he's a more lame version of a John Ringo protagonist, who's only flaw is getting laid too much.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doctor Faustine posted:

explains why every anime on Netflix is rated five stars

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Pretty sure that was the joke.

I was being sarcastic you idiot.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
No, I picked up on that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Wheeee posted:

explains why every anime on Netflix is rated five stars

Netflix's shown "ratings" are actually an algorithm predicting how you'll like a show or movie based on viewers with similar viewing habits leaving their own ratings.

So cool self own I suppose?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FMA good, Kingkiller bad

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No, I picked up on that.

Then you have a pretty limited grasp on normal social interaction.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

No, I picked up on that.
Impossible, it's 500 pages too short

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Impossible, it's 500 pages too short

:vince:

That's better than any response I had

HIJK posted:

Sounds like Rothfuss probably watches lots of anime

I always pegged Sanderson for the anime fan since all of his books read like an anime - a big excuse to have a convoluted fighting system with too many technique names.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
At least the characters dont yell the name of the skill while performing it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You haven't explained how being an anime would improve the book; you have merely stated the obvious fact that anime is bad.

Alright it would still be as bad but it would be less obviously absurd as an animated adaption vs a live action adaption.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
animation is the only medium able to capture the depth and feeling of those sex scenes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karnegal posted:

:vince:

That's better than any response I had

I always pegged Sanderson for the anime fan since all of his books read like an anime - a big excuse to have a convoluted fighting system with too many technique names.

Mistborn really pissed me off with how badly written the fight scenes were. Everybody is spider-manning all over the place, flinging themselves crazily through the air, and it should be all graceful and frenetic. But aside from a few early fights it's written in such turgid detail that it's a boring slog to get through.

So he even fails at being entertaining schlock.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

That's not fair at all Kirito is good at one thing, Kvothe isn't just good at music, and applies that to magic or something no hes good at EVERYTHING, except for relationships.

Basically he's a more lame version of a John Ringo protagonist, who's only flaw is getting laid too much.
But Kvothe is also so good at relationships that that one king had to hire him in order to pick up whoever that woman was, which thanks to Kvothe's genius worked. Kvothe is just bad at his own relationship with Denna, because of his tragic flaw of sometimes failing to take advantage of how completely awesome he is.

It's like when he was living on the streets, until he realized that he could effortlessly talk his way into free boots and admittance to the top magic school. Or when he was unable to pay for tuition, until he remembered that he was the greatest musician and could just go win a contest.

You could probably make an interesting story about someone with godlike powers but crippling self-doubt, but I don't think Rothfuss is the author to do it. Instead, Kvothe just fails to apply himself when it would otherwise break the story.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Even just a bit of sense would tell you that Abercrombie and Sanderson are as bad as Rothfuss.

Hell, Rothfuss even has both beat in terms of psychological complexity, because he recognizes that there are other things in life than gruff men of violence talking about how bad everything is and endless magic anime fights.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Then you have a pretty limited grasp on normal social interaction.

From reading their posts, yea, I've picked up on that

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Even just a bit of sense would tell you that Abercrombie and Sanderson are as bad as Rothfuss.

Hell, Rothfuss even has both beat in terms of psychological complexity, because he recognizes that there are other things in life than gruff men of violence talking about how bad everything is and endless magic anime fights.

Ah I see, you haven't read Sanderson.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What aspect of Sanderson's nuanced writing have I ignored?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This tells me nothing of the prose.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Their prose is equally bad.,

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Sorry mate, you forgot the two most important parts of any good book. The page count and the World-Building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
third: penis