Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

venmo is just a payment ap that is fairly easy to use without fees and has wide adoption

i've used it for years without issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

got any sevens posted:

whats the deal with venmo? is it safe? i just downloaded it because someone wanted me to try it and on the front page its showing who is paying who. is the point that it's more public, like buttcoin ledger (but not with the extra-stupid mining)?

I was confused as hell because I thought it was just a payment app but apparently theres some social bullshit too

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
iirc venmo has a social media aspect to it

someone took the gambit of "i bet you couldn't make a worse version of paypal"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I was confused as hell because I thought it was just a payment app but apparently theres some social bullshit too

Why would you ever not choose private? What the hell.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Boeing adds "safety feature" which overrides manual flight and forces planes to nosedive towards the ground, makes it nearly impossible to disable, doesn't tell the FAA or airlines or pilots about this feature, kills 189 people in a plane crash

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/11/boeing-crapification-lion-air-crash.html

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Algund Eenboom posted:

Boeing adds "safety feature" which overrides manual flight and forces planes to nosedive towards the ground, makes it nearly impossible to disable, doesn't tell the FAA or airlines or pilots about this feature, kills 189 people in a plane crash

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/11/boeing-crapification-lion-air-crash.html

wait how is an override that makes the plane fly into the ground a safety feature

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
https://twitter.com/StephLauren/status/1064642792654278657

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not sure if thats an improvement from cartoon mark zuckerberg livestreaming a tour of hurricane-destroyed puerto rico

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't make jokes on Venmo

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/76r2qx/tifu_by_making_a_north_korea_joke_to_pay_my_power/

quote:

TL;DR: Paid power bill with subject "North Korea is best Korea." Got flagged per Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) guidelines. Still haven't been able to pay the power bill...

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

mass shootings so ubiquitous i see tangential references to mass shootings and :shrug:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

got any sevens posted:

whats the deal with venmo? is it safe? i just downloaded it because someone wanted me to try it and on the front page its showing who is paying who. is the point that it's more public, like buttcoin ledger (but not with the extra-stupid mining)?

Venmo is fine for transactions with your friends but don’t use it for commercial stuff

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bawfuls posted:

venmo is just a payment ap that is fairly easy to use without fees and has wide adoption

i've used it for years without issue

why does the company run it for free
seems suspicious

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Algund Eenboom posted:

Its cool watching how this story changes during the game of telephone between journalist and journalist.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

got any sevens posted:

seems suspicious

you pay a small fee for instant transfers to your bank account so I guess they make money off that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

got any sevens posted:

seems suspicious

Cnidaria posted:

you pay a small fee for instant transfers to your bank account so I guess they make money off that
Or you can just let the bank transfers take a day and there's no fee. They make money on your balance. People end up leaving some balance there typically out of laziness, and they make interest on this in the aggregate.

The fee for instant transfers is a relatively new feature.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

paypal owns venmo which makes it even more dystopian

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

wait how is an override that makes the plane fly into the ground a safety feature

There was a plane that crashed off the coast of Brazil because one of the pilots kept pulling up even though they were in a stall.

quote:

The engines always responded to commands and were developing in excess of 100 percent N1 when the flight ended. First officer Robert responded with: "We've lost all control of the aeroplane, we don’t understand anything, we’ve tried everything" and then: "Climb climb climb climb". When Bonin replied: "But I’ve been at maximum nose-up for a while!" captain Dubois realized Bonin was causing the stall, causing him to shout: "No no no, don’t climb!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait what do they not teach pilots how to fly anymore

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

What it's SUPPOSED to do is build up enough speed to pull out of a stall, even if the pilots are morons who don't actually know how to fly, i guess.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Hundreds of hours of autopilot makes them rusty as gently caress so when something does happen they forget how to fly. Suggested solutions in some aaticle I read include having autopilots randomly turn off, to keep people on their toes. Is this cyberpunk?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

It was the middle of the night (couldn't see the ocean and get an idea of horizon) and they thought the computer readouts were wrong so they kept fighting the plane almost all the way down.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

the co-pilot was inexperienced and the avionics system had a confused warning. it was shouting a 'pull up' warning the whole time because of the low altitude, so our perky dumbass co-pilot who wasn't thinking about how the plane moves and was flying like a robot kept pulling up. you know how people like, brake around turns and end up sliding off the road? same kind of situation

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

the co-pilot was inexperienced and the avionics system had a confused warning. it was shouting a 'pull up' warning the whole time because of the low altitude, so our perky dumbass co-pilot who wasn't thinking about how the plane moves and was flying like a robot kept pulling up. you know how people like, brake around turns and end up sliding off the road? same kind of situation

i only did my single engine VFR solo, and even *I* know to read the instruments when the stall horn goes off and you're all turned around

that is an ASTONISHINGLY large fuckup for a commercial pilot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
like i appreciate the attempt at metaphor but any rear end in a top hat who answers a 50 question test and drives around the corner a few times without rear-ending someone can get a driver's license.

after the 10,000 hours of practice needed to certify that's not like braking around a corner, its like forgetting to unzip your fly and pissing your pants in front of the urinal

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Nov 20, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ted hitler posted:

paypal owns venmo which makes it even more dystopian

does Venmo have a barrier of entry that PayPal doesn't? I can only imagine PayPal continues supporting Venmo as a product to entice the class of folks with X type of bank account while they continue to charge tons of fees to anyone using PayPal who doesn't qualify for Venmo.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
tokyo drifting my plane to own boeing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah i was more wondering what kind of pilot is going to fly at max incline for a while and be like why am i stalling???

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Three pilots

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
technically only 2, the third one came back from his break and realized what they were doing but it was too late

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'll just repost this from the OSHA thread https://www.vanityfair.com/news/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash, very good article.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

seems suspicious
venmo definitely belongs in this thread

venmo was designed to target millennials as a convenient, free payment app that slowly adds social media features... but they've got ulterior motives for the long-term (keep reading)
from the beginning venmo has acted more like a marketing research team hiding behind a payment app
they've been running data analytics on the way users behave socially in response to purchases, how purchasing habits change in response to social events, stuff like that
they've learned millennials don't like ads, and they've learned that millennials are more likely to buy products from places that their friends buy from, they've been learning how social media affects purchases
venmo has been adding more social media features, that transformation has been slow but deliberate

quote:

Richard Crone, who runs a payments focused firm called Crone Consulting, said “You walk into any retailer, any restaurant, any service provider - what do they want you to do? Like them on Facebook, follow them on Twitter.” Partnering with Venmo, he said, is like partnering with a credit-card processor, “but with much more upside, because the retailers spend far more trying to get you to like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter and all these other things that they could just get as a byproduct of the payment.” People can see where their friends have been and what they’ve been buying. It turns the user, and people’s friends, into advertisements for businesses, among a highly desirable target demographic.
the other more lucrative aspect of becoming merchants’ preferred means of payment is access to information about where customers are spending their money.” Crone says “the real value is in the data, and the ability to render customized ads and offers, and generate a revenue stream from that.”
venmo wants to make money by getting users to advertise to each other without realizing it while also selling user metrics to merchants who adopt venmo directly
they also intend to use their slowly-growing social media features to promote the P2P payment system itself

but there's more
when venmo (or any P2P) purchases are made, the only data a bank sees is that there was a venmo purchase for some amount
this is different from how it works for traditional payment systems, where there's data about purchases for acquiring banks, card brands, and payment processors
paypal *is* a payment processor, so they're currently in that purchase data loop when people make payments through paypal
what venmo (and ergo paypal) is trying to do is cut banks and the card brands out of the data loop so they can keep all it for themselves
data is valuable. they've been playing the long-game the whole time, their ultimate goal is to challenge and/or supplant the payment card industry

i don't know if it's dytopian or just capitalism

Homocow has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Nov 20, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Willie Tomg posted:

like i appreciate the attempt at metaphor but any rear end in a top hat who answers a 50 question test and drives around the corner a few times without rear-ending someone can get a driver's license.

after the 10,000 hours of practice needed to certify that's not like braking around a corner, its like forgetting to unzip your fly and pissing your pants in front of the urinal

An article I read suggested that the flight hours newer pilots are getting simply aren't "quality" flying time. The problem is that even though new pilots have thousands of hours under their belt those hours have been flown in a simulator under ideal conditions, and then on auto-pilot planes under similar conditions. So you have this new generation of pilots coming up who can't handle the stress when things go bad fast

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unironically bring back the old WW2 training method where they just throw you in a civilian prop plane that has a supercharged P-51 engines. there's even a mostly-NASA operated training airframe which really is basically two in-line seats strapped to afterburning fighter jet engines. for heavy aircraft pilots they can have a C-130 i guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you aren’t ready to hop in a C‐130 carry out Operation Credible Sport at any time, you shouldn’t be flying.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1064522819743019008

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

yeah it's safe, just set ur visibility to private....i don't have a clue why they have a dash showing all the transactions ur contacts are making and yes it's weird af and made me question using it

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Lmao if you don't set all of your transactions to private and assign the memo as a string of random emoji

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is this the thread for our pessimistic predictions of the near future cuz I've got a bunch in this vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is this the thread for our pessimistic predictions of the near future cuz I've got a bunch in this vein.

just post