Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What do y'all mean when you say "insomnia"

Cause like I use the word but I don't know that I'm using it right

I've never been sleep tired but unable to sleep, what I call insomnia is "I'm kinda tired but not really but I feel like I should be because I've been awake a long time"

Sleep was so much simpler when I drank every night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Black August posted:

It ain't melancholy but watching this before bed is invoking some emotions for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM18ZK9mOY

The more I think the more I real how horrifying the phrase "Fallout and Creation engine, but now with shitloads of other players" is

Lost it at peak performance

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also more melancholy games imo, I crave that vague sense of sadness, cram it into my games

The Talos Principle
Ori and the Blind Forest

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 20, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Less dad games, more sad games itt

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Sudden urge to go eat at the Honker Burger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

What do y'all mean when you say "insomnia"

Cause like I use the word but I don't know that I'm using it right

I've never been sleep tired but unable to sleep, what I call insomnia is "I'm kinda tired but not really but I feel like I should be because I've been awake a long time"

Sleep was so much simpler when I drank every night

Sleeping for 'eight' hours but you woke up every half hour aka last night

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Sleeping for 'eight' hours but you woke up every half hour aka last night

Oh god I hate the thing where one wakes up every 30 minutes for 5 hours.that's the worst

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red dead revolver is pretty cool because it’s very much a Japanese style arcade boss rush that Capcom commissioned.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also more melancholy games imo, I crave that vague sense of sadness, cram it into my games

I always found the Blackwell series to have quite a down streak on it as you're dealing with ghosts and the best you can do is help them pass on. The last one has a specially good gut punch.

Similarly, Analogue and Hate Plus where you're piecing logs together but, in the end, you can't change anything. What is done is done.

The Swapper is a puzzle game where somehow they made dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed(of yourself) to work.

Detention

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 20, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It was cool in the first RDR how I could get off my horse and not suddenly have only pistols.

The game conspires to remove the auto shotgun from me everytime. Npc hands you a rifle? Always takes the spot of the shotgun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think I'll post this in the Before I Play thread too but I've found that playing Red Dead Redemption 2 in first person mode is a really under-utilized feature. The Kotaku article on gameplay tips says you should play at least one mission in first person just to experience the offering, but being in first person makes movement way easier and it's the best way to explore the inside of a building. Arthur can suddenly strafe, he doesn't take 10 seconds to turn around without mashing X, and you can point the reticle at whatever specific item you're trying to interact with instead of spinning in front of a crate hoping he looks at the stick of dynamite and not the photo of someone's mom. It's fun in some missions, too, or when you go to a theater to watch a show. Riding a horse in first person blows chunks though, I wouldn't recommend that. I'm just saying that it's a feature that's always available that was kind of marketed as a neat trick, but I think it should be used frequently for fine control over Arthur.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 and I know that I'm approaching the shooting gallery phase of the game, if I'm not already in it, but I still like it. My wife likes to watch and play some of the less violent missions, I appreciate the slower pace of some of the self-guided activities, like deciding to hunt a rare buffalo in the snowy wastes and knowing that once I find and kill it I'll have to cart the skin half way across two states to sell it. I like the story so far but agree the Dutch has kind of used up a lot of the good will he started with since everything he's touched since the game began has turned to poo poo. I like reading Arthur's journal to get a better idea of how he's feeling, which is something I'm interested in - more so than any other open-world hero. I feel bad for Arthur when I do stuff like trample animals to complete a challenge, because he seems more remorseful about his lack of control. Some of his conversations with people make me feel like I'm turning him into a schizophrenic puppet and he's vaguely aware of what's happening, where I put this poor guy through hell to game meters and checklists he can't see.

Of course, I also thought Final Fantasy XV was one of the best in the series so I don't claim to have the most popular or correct opinions.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Illusion of Gaia is pretty melancholy if I recall correctly, it's also a very good game to boot and people should go play it.

Black August posted:

It ain't melancholy but watching this before bed is invoking some emotions for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM18ZK9mOY

The more I think the more I real how horrifying the phrase "Fallout and Creation engine, but now with shitloads of other players" is

:thunk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Illusion of Gaia is pretty melancholy if I recall correctly, it's also a very good game to boot and people should go play it.

illusion of gaia dealt with themes that were entirely too heavy for my six-year old brain to tackle

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does Will count as a nice south african or is he ignored since Illusion of Gaia takes place before Pangaea evolves and shifts apart into the earth of Terranigma

e: I guess the statement of "I've never met a nice South African, and that's not bloody surprising, man" hinges on whether Will does the sidequest to end slavery

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the best part of illusion of gaia is how gem turned out to be the first boss from soul blazer and he's been jerking you around the entire game to collect his red gems

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shadow of the Colossus is the best representation of melancholy I can think of in a game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

either that or the most powerful warrior being a flaming ball of cum

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the best part of illusion of gaia is how gem turned out to be the first boss from soul blazer and he's been jerking you around the entire game to collect his red gems

Not only that but said guy also established and runs the slave trade and it isn't until you beat him that he's like "ah gently caress, you're stronger than Blazer was"

I like how there was this whole theme going on on reincarnation through those games and how you can safely argue that Blazer, Will, and Ark are all the same person

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

RDR1 was an homage to Westerns. Act 1 was spaghetti westerns like the Dollars trilogy, Mexico was Mexican westerns with their more ambiguous and darker characters, and the final act is Unforgiven or True Grit with its themes of the outlaw dying out and carrying the burden of your past.

RDR2 shares a lot of similar direction and motivation, but mixed with modern westerns like Hateful 8 or 3:10 to Yuma. And personally, I've enjoyed seeing how the story has come along. Still about midway on Chapter 6 so please no untagged spoilers, but the scene getting off Guarma and returning home to 'I stand unshaken' was great and seeing it all unravel just makes the first game that much more impactful, while being its own title and story. And, yeah, some characters are kinda dull, but they make up for it with others. And in one specific instance, when Molly sells you out and gets buckshot for her troubles, that blandness pays off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Microcline posted:

Transistor

Also Pyre

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

FirstAidKite posted:

Illusion of Gaia rules and as a kid I tried to get my mom to come play it so I could ask her to get me a haircut like Will's. It didn't happen.

I appreciate all the melancholic recommendations what I've learned is that I've mined the well of what's available pretty well. The Blackwell games are an interesting rec, I think I played the first 3? I remember them being very good but also capturing a Lucasarts adventure game 'feel' that I'm not able to articulate well this early in the morning.

Related, if y'all didn't see they barfed some more Lucasarts games onto steam. Most importantly, Sam and Max Hit the Road is on sale for like 4 bucks right now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relax Or DIE posted:

Did anyone say FF8 for this yet. I always think of this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

Illusion of Gaia rules and as a kid I tried to get my mom to come play it so I could ask her to get me a haircut like Will's. It didn't happen.

I appreciate all the melancholic recommendations what I've learned is that I've mined the well of what's available pretty well. The Blackwell games are an interesting rec, I think I played the first 3? I remember them being very good but also capturing a Lucasarts adventure game 'feel' that I'm not able to articulate well this early in the morning.

Related, if y'all didn't see they barfed some more Lucasarts games onto steam. Most importantly, Sam and Max Hit the Road is on sale for like 4 bucks right now.

there's also Kentucky Route Zero, which everyone should play anyway for any reason

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this world is not my home, i'm just passin through
my treasures and my hopes are placed beyond the blue
many friends and kin have gone on before
and i don't feel at home in this world anymore

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahaha, apparently the Fallout 76 dragons are just plain old the ones from Skyrim. Port that Macho mod somebody

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

also this is going to be something. I dunno what, but I just know

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1064881832120991744

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Wow that guy actually looks like a monster hunter, things are looking up!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

McDragon posted:

Ahaha, apparently the Fallout 76 dragons

the loving what

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

MMF Freeway posted:

Wow that guy actually looks like a monster hunter, things are looking up!

That's just Tony Jaa when he's not in the mood for kicking people.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Oxxidation posted:

there's also Kentucky Route Zero, which everyone should play anyway for any reason

Yeah, KR0 should be mandatory imo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

the loving what

sorry, "Scorchbeasts"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

either that or the most powerful warrior being a flaming ball of cum

sorry i've got this in my head now and i'm disappointed the only two games i can think of where you can play as a flaming ball of cum are illusion of gaia and nuclear throne

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Please kickstart my new game: Dynasty Warriors but you play as a flaming ball of cum.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you think about it we were all cum, once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if IoG's Shadow is a flaming ball of cum, does Pyron from Darkstalkers also count?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

McDragon posted:

also this is going to be something. I dunno what, but I just know

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1064881832120991744

Hell yeah

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

A second bazelgeuse has hit the tower

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm playing around with some 3d printers at work for practice. Should I print a model of Solaire or the Elite Knight from dark souls?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

MMF Freeway posted:

Did anyone say FF8 for this yet. I always think of this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_Qqzs4cfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm playing around with some 3d printers at work for practice. Should I print a model of Solaire or the Elite Knight from dark souls?

A mimic, Gwynevere's boobs, Chosen Undead in the Old Monk robes.

• Locked thread