Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

fedora is actually bad, sorry to burst yalls bubble but it needs to be said

yeah taht's why unc is gonna fire him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

stop wearing it then

i wear an ugly fisherman hat when i need to keep the horrible sun from scorching my bald scalp tyvm

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

stop wearing it then

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I replaced my mobo because it had issues
The new one worked at first (hours?) but now it won't last longer than 5 minutes in Windows (display just turns off and everything stops) and often fails to boot at all (just a black screen hang)
Safe mode works fine, even overnight. Anyone know what I should be doing to diagnose/fix this? I've never had 100% functional safe mode and 99% broken normal before. There's nothing in event viewer after a failure in Windows besides the note that the last shutdown wasn't normal

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
last time I had something like that happen it turned out the gpu wasn’t getting enough power. safe mode worked fine but the second regular desktop tried to enable any sort of fancy gpu rendering it would just crash

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
maybe your PSU is faulty, and it slow-cooked your old motherboard. and now its turning up the heat on your new one

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I replaced my mobo because it had issues
The new one worked at first (hours?) but now it won't last longer than 5 minutes in Windows (display just turns off and everything stops) and often fails to boot at all (just a black screen hang)
Safe mode works fine, even overnight. Anyone know what I should be doing to diagnose/fix this? I've never had 100% functional safe mode and 99% broken normal before. There's nothing in event viewer after a failure in Windows besides the note that the last shutdown wasn't normal

sounds like some thing is overheating, or otherwise loving up, that safe mode doesn't load a driver for or uses in a fallback mode. try turning off all the motherboard-integrated poo poo like ethernet and ac97

Helianthus Annuus posted:

maybe your PSU is faulty, and it slow-cooked your old motherboard. and now its turning up the heat on your new one

yes check voltages. swap in a different psu if possible

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
do bear in mind that PSUs are a wear item

their rated capacity is often the capacity when brand-new. three or five years out, it ain't gonna meet the original benchmarks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do bear in mind that PSUs are a wear item

their rated capacity is often the capacity when brand-new. three or five years out, it ain't gonna meet the original benchmarks

Power delivery rating is a matter of the coils and transistors doing the rectification and step-down; those aren't wear components and will keep on chugging so long as you aren't overheating. Filtering and power factor correction are done through caps and those do degrade, though its pretty typical for a manufacturer to overspec those for an estimated 10yr service life (calculated against a 40hr/wk duty cycle). If the pfc caps start to get lovely then it just means it pulls a little more (apparent) power, no big deal. Filtering may be an issue if you have garbo input power or you're trying to overclock the thing to the last inch of its life and the hardware is freaking out from ripple on the output voltages but in the vast majority of cases it doesn't matter.

Load up whatever monitoring software of your choice is and watch the voltage while under load. +/-5% is considered tolerance spec.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 19, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Power delivery rating is a matter of the coils and transistors doing the rectification and step-down; those aren't wear components and will keep on chugging so long as you aren't overheating. Filtering and power factor correction are done through caps and those do degrade, though its pretty typical for a manufacturer to overspec those for an estimated 10yr service life (calculated against a 40hr/wk duty cycle). If the pfc caps start to get lovely then it just means it pulls a little more (apparent) power, no big deal. Filtering may be an issue if you have garbo input power or you're trying to overclock the thing to the last inch of its life and the hardware is freaking out from ripple on the output voltages but in the vast majority of cases it doesn't matter.

Load up whatever monitoring software of your choice is and watch the voltage while under load. +/-5% is considered tolerance spec.

capacitors degrade

your switching psu needs capacitors to be in-spec to work properly. your voltages will be hosed after the caps go

tardocp found an old psu they had tested years earlier and "re-tested" it. shockingly, a 7 year old psu wasn't even close to spec anymore, who knew

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/09/silverstone_olympia_1000w_power_supply_7_year_redux/6

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I explicitly said caps degrade and that is part of the design specification. Desktop PSUs are generally engineered for a 10yr service life with an average duty cycle (40-60hrs/wk), server PSUs for 24/7, and the thing that you are citing is a desktop unit that they acknowledge it had a heavy duty cycle. If you're running it in a more typical duty cycle, you can stretch it through a rebuild or two before junking it, just test voltage stability under load if you're screwing around with components to make sure it will hold up to what you're asking of it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol some dipshit built some kind of threadripper/quad firepro monstrosity on a gaming board and desktop case on company dime, jamming it in a data closet overloading the UPS and making the 800W psu cook itself to death and then got promptly fired when someone found it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assume the missing word in your post is Bitcoin

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the claim was it was some kind of hyper-v vGPU or maybe OpenCL thing but yeah it smells of bitcoin and apparently was overheating/dying at all hours despite being under almost no user load

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

how many threads did it rip

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless Mike posted:

how many threads did it rip

wish it would have ripped you out of this thread

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

So what's the recommendation these days for a home router that can support gigabit through an ipv4 nat? The service entrance is down in the mechanical room so I don't care about wireless features. Been using an asus rt-n16 for years now but it needs daily reboots and is getting annoying. I want something like the tp-link safestream (cheap metal box) but that thing bottlenecks to 700mbit, through maybe it doesn't matter now that enough stuff is on ipv6 and bypassing the nat?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if 700 mbps isn’t enough then why is 1000

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

So what's the recommendation these days for a home router that can support gigabit through an ipv4 nat? The service entrance is down in the mechanical room so I don't care about wireless features. Been using an asus rt-n16 for years now but it needs daily reboots and is getting annoying. I want something like the tp-link safestream (cheap metal box) but that thing bottlenecks to 700mbit, through maybe it doesn't matter now that enough stuff is on ipv6 and bypassing the nat?

Probably an Ubiquiti Edgerouter will fit the bill.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loan me out $1000, ill repay $700

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

loan me out $1000, ill repay $700

If both our salaries were capped at 2.5m USD per month I would gladly give you $300

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

porkface posted:

If both our salaries were capped at 2.5m USD per month I would gladly give you $300

lets make it happen then :hai:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

msnbc: latvia man became billionaire in quest to win a $300 bet with a friend

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
speaking of latvia there's probably a mikrotik hardware product that would work, depending on the nat requirements like the hEX (rb750gr3)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

because I have gigabit service that regularly delivers 900mbit streams and I don't feel like bottlenecking it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DJ Commie posted:

speaking of latvia there's probably a mikrotik hardware product that would work, depending on the nat requirements like the hEX (rb750gr3)

you're not gonna get line rate without either a big hot multicore xeon, or special-purpose hardware

microtik typically eschews both

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're not gonna get line rate without either a big hot multicore xeon, or special-purpose hardware

microtik typically eschews both

not my experience with them, but it all depends on the nat rules. a better option that might have an actual chance would be one of the non-lovely ubnt edgerouters, those run a vyatta fork and work pretty well at huge line rates.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
the $50 Edgerouter X will do about 950 megabit nat

its original firmware did not support hardware offloading which limits it to about 300 megabit so you might need to update its firmware and manually enable hardware offloading https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
nordVPN seems to block twitter embeds on SA

not sure if feature

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

syscall girl posted:

nordVPN seems to block twitter embeds on SA

not sure if feature

It's the other way around, Twitter blocks NordVPN.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

It's the other way around, Twitter blocks NordVPN.

right, bad phrasing

also amazon blocks nordVPN because reasons

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nordvpn also lacks basic features like port forwarding

torguard appears very janky but its surprising how comprehensive it is and cheep too

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

nordvpn also lacks basic features like port forwarding

torguard appears very janky but its surprising how comprehensive it is and cheep too

i got a year of nord for < $100 for cyber Monday

rip me

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hit up support

maybe they can hook you up with a different egress ip

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DJ Commie posted:

not my experience with them, but it all depends on the nat rules. a better option that might have an actual chance would be one of the non-lovely ubnt edgerouters, those run a vyatta fork and work pretty well at huge line rates.

the ubnt edgerouters use dedicated hardware to achieve line rates

microtik generally avoids that kind of design

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
how the gently caress do i get rid of the "lol look at this dumb poo poo" banner

i am not a web wizard and i can't fuckin find it in the css

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how the gently caress do i get rid of the "lol look at this dumb poo poo" banner

i am not a web wizard and i can't fuckin find it in the css

use element picker thing to block it through adblocker if you have one that does that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

use element picker thing to block it through adblocker if you have one that does that

i do have one of those things and it does not work on the troll banner

idk why

i can't find it in the page source either maybe i'm just stupid

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
nvm I figured out what the problem was. the reason it doesn't work with my element picker is that they use a non-standard tag -- <cloudflare-app/>

the ublock cosmetic filter turned out to be this:
code:
###something_awful > cloudflare-app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nvm I figured out what the problem was. the reason it doesn't work with my element picker is that they use a non-standard tag -- <cloudflare-app/>

the ublock cosmetic filter turned out to be this:
code:
###something_awful > cloudflare-app

thank