Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007

clusterfuck posted:

No but okay.

E: I’m more wondering if there’s some exploit I’m opening up if players can interact with an object to a greater extent than what seems the usual. Like, I’m guessing in standardised AL rules allowing 2+ interactions with one object won’t fly? So, in that environment, someone has to make a call on the basic and vague rules 5e supplies.

For example, a character can use their object interaction to uncover and then cover a marble with darkness cast on it to step away from melee without drawing an attack of opportunity.

You probably are but just be up front with your players that you want cool poo poo to happen, but that you will reign it in if they start getting munchkin with it. You're all there to have fun after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

For sure, I trust my players for stuff like this. I started off thinking maybe there is a really good reason why the RAW says what it does but now I think it's just a bit of a loose end, don't sweat it.

This bit of chat caught my eye:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?465933-The-Object-Interaction-Rule-and-how-it-s-changed-our-action-economy

stuff like this:

quote:

Yes! As a DM, I used to hate that it would take some kind of action to open a door, meaning that quite frequently a bad guy trying to get away would have to stop his turn in the doorway, thus allowing the PCs to catch up to him. Now, though, people can mostly move through doors freely without having to stop.

Not having played 4e is that correct re 3e / 4e? The consensus here in this thread seems to be gently caress all that noise just make the story work, which is fine, I'm just sperging a bit on how 5e RAW has it as quoted but my change has the bad guy able to also close the door and use an action to barricade it, perhaps.

But yeah, wtvr.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 20, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i can't recall 4e's exact rules on something niche like that but even if it was a minor action to open a door you could still have your bad guy move to the door as a move action, open it with their minor, then use their standard action as a move action to move their speed again

and hell if they're a big enough deal to have an action point they can burn that for another standard action spent on movement

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Opening a door is a move action in 3.5/PF so you can't go through a closed door in one turn unless you were standing next to it at the start of your turn.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

ok good :D truly material social progress lol congrats 5e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsKoT__cmAw

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't even think it takes anything to open a door in 5e.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It's more whether one use interact with an object to open and close a door, as it's one object. Whether one can use interact with an object to stow and then redraw a sword in one turn, as it's one object.

It's also progressively getting more absurdly reductive to discuss this spergy minutiae without thinking of about 5 different Python sketches, none of which quite match.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't even think it takes anything to open a door in 5e.

PHB page 90 posted:

You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe.

[sidebar at bottom]

Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in tandem with your movement and action:
• draw or sheathe a sword
open or close a door

It takes your free-object-interaction-action-that-if-you-use-it-you-can't-do-another-one-but-it-isn't-an-action to open a door.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

It takes your free-object-interaction-action-that-if-you-use-it-you-can't-do-another-one-but-it-isn't-an-action to open a door.

Whereas I'm all about houseruling to the free-object-interaction-action-that-if-you-use-it-you-can-do-another-one-but-only-once-with-the-same-object-if-it's-ergonomically-very-convenient-but-it-isn't-an-action.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Why are you all having a discussion about opening doors when the only true way is to roll a nat20 on kicking one in and smash it off its hinges?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Why would a nat 20 matter when you're kicking a door in?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Why would a nat 20 matter when you're kicking a door in?

Your DM doesnt treat nat20s as "you just did the thing, but awesome in everyway"? Wheres the fun?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Not really, it messes with the tone if it isn’t a goofy game, the gm doing description takes control away from the player and if the game is about PCs doing cool poo poo it should probably happen every success rather than just one in twenty.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

e ^^^^^^ That's what I get for leaving the reply window while I go feed the kid.

Nutsngum posted:

Your DM doesnt treat nat20s as "you just did the thing, but awesome in everyway"? Wheres the fun?

Here's what we do and why it's fun:

If, in the fiction, your character clearly can't do the thing, you don't get to roll dice because 5% of the time you'll succeed anyway, because that doesn't fit the tone of game we enjoy. We get critical hits in combat. Out of combat, we don't roll unless failure would be meaningful, which means the roll is always exciting and success is always important. Also, if kicking the door in was important to you, whether or not you had to roll for it, you get to describe what happens when you succeed, so in-fiction it's exactly as awesome as you want it to be. You want it to just bang open as you rush through? That's what happens. You want it to fly off its hinges? That's what it does. You want to kick the whole frame out and be menacingly silhouetted in the jagged hole? Yep! You want the planks themselves to break as your massive <BOOM>, inexorable <BOOM> hammer blows strike <BOOM> fear into the hearts <BOOM> of the occupants <CRASH>? That's what happens. You don't need to wait for the one special die result that means your success is also awesome.

We don't do crit fails, either. At all. Competent people don't badly gently caress up 1/20 times they do the things they're good at. (A baseline competent sword fighter in D&D with crit fails badly fucks up swordfighting once every 2 minutes, on average. A godly swordfighter... reduces that time to 30 seconds. This is not the imaginary world we are trying to portray).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 20, 2018

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Next month I'm starting a new campaign with 3 players who are completely new to D&D, a 4th one is joining us and she is a veteran. I've done countless campaigns myself but this is the first time I've done it with 3 new players and starting at level 1. After reading Dragon Heist that adventure looks like a good introduction to D&D, Faerun and Waterdeep in particular. Has anyone here run the adventure and are there any common mistakes, pitfalls or tips you can give me?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

Not really, it messes with the tone if it isn’t a goofy game, the gm doing description takes control away from the player and if the game is about PCs doing cool poo poo it should probably happen every success rather than just one in twenty.

AlphaDog posted:

e ^^^^^^ That's what I get for leaving the reply window while I go feed the kid.

Here's what we do and why it's fun:

If, in the fiction, your character clearly can't do the thing, you don't get to roll dice because 5% of the time you'll succeed anyway, because that doesn't fit the tone of game we enjoy. We get critical hits in combat. Out of combat, we don't roll unless failure would be meaningful, which means the roll is always exciting and success is always important. Also, if kicking the door in was important to you, whether or not you had to roll for it, you get to describe what happens when you succeed, so in-fiction it's exactly as awesome as you want it to be. You want it to just bang open as you rush through? That's what happens. You want it to fly off its hinges? That's what it does. You want to kick the whole frame out and be menacingly silhouetted in the jagged hole? Yep! You want the planks themselves to break as your massive <BOOM>, inexorable <BOOM> hammer blows strike <BOOM> fear into the hearts <BOOM> of the occupants <CRASH>? That's what happens. You don't need to wait for the one special die result that means your success is also awesome.

We don't do crit fails, either. At all. Competent people don't badly gently caress up 1/20 times they do the things they're good at. (A baseline competent sword fighter in D&D with crit fails badly fucks up swordfighting once every 2 minutes, on average. A godly swordfighter... reduces that time to 30 seconds. This is not the imaginary world we are trying to portray).

For context, it was us trying to con our way into the Mill in curse of Strahd using the deed from the Death house. The "old lady" was having none of it so I threw sand in her child kidnapping face whilst our paladin kicked the door she was holding open.. which then came off its hinges as poo poo hit the fan.

It wasnt goofy at all but did result in a hilarious and fun fuckup on our part which we quickly retreated from. Im not entirely sure I agree with your sentiment in a game that is absolutely dominated by dice rolls. Besides the random chance does add something to the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
What does "a big burly motherfucker kicks a wooden door and it barely moved because sorry you only rolled a '3'" add to the game exactly?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In our Ixalan pirate game our DM is learning to fail forward because we are running a Masks (PBTA) game and he is loving it. So last night we were gonna kick down a door to go kill some guy who has sent goons to try and hurt us twice now.

The fighter rolled really low (to the tune of a 2 pre athletics) so when she went to kick the door down, she didn't notice the door was slightly ajar, and instead ended up kicking one of the guys we are trying to kill in the stomach as he walked out the door.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dragonatrix posted:

What does "a big burly motherfucker swords an orc and it barely moved because sorry you only rolled a '3'" add to the game exactly?

All sorts of narrative events can happen even when it's about a strength check vs a combat role. Heck, in my last session we had people who didn't want to fight pulling against each other - my character wanted to stay where he was (believing he was doing a ritual to clear a curse) vs, the npc paladin who was yelling he was here to rescue me and I was charmed, meanwhile lightning bolts were flying around and stuff got tenser and tenser each time combat restarted. Without the roll off we wouldn't have had that happen

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's a nice anecdote and all, but it's completely irrelevant to the example given. When "5% of the time, you fail to open the door" has the result of "I try again," what does that random chance add inherently that would be missing if you skipped the pretense altogether?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lockdar posted:

Next month I'm starting a new campaign with 3 players who are completely new to D&D, a 4th one is joining us and she is a veteran. I've done countless campaigns myself but this is the first time I've done it with 3 new players and starting at level 1. After reading Dragon Heist that adventure looks like a good introduction to D&D, Faerun and Waterdeep in particular. Has anyone here run the adventure and are there any common mistakes, pitfalls or tips you can give me?

I'm currently playing the adventure as a player and don't think particularly well of it in general, and even less as an intro for new players.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dragonatrix posted:

That's a nice anecdote and all, but it's completely irrelevant to the example given. When "5% of the time, you fail to open the door" has the result of "I try again," what does that random chance add inherently that would be missing if you skipped the pretense altogether?

Don't roll if there's no consequence of failure

If you're attacking an orc that's already dead you shouldn't roll to hit

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

I'm currently playing the adventure as a player and don't think particularly well of it in general, and even less as an intro for new players.

Same. It’s plot is very OK and the setting is cool but it’s led to a very low combat campaign for us (which can be fine but check with your group.) If you want to give them the more typical D&D experience, LMoP is hard to beat for an official product. It has also been out much longer than the Waterdeep stuff so we can give you advice on things to tweak or watch out for. I ran LMoP for a group of total newbies last year and it went really well.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Being able to use an action to do a small thing without using some kind of action sounds like it should be some kind of bonus action

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Being able to use an action to do a small thing without using some kind of action sounds like it should be some kind of bonus action

I kind of get why it isn't though. Some classes really depend on bonus actions to be effective and they shouldn't be gimped by being the first in the marching order.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Seems like somebody should have named these better.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

kidkissinger posted:

I kind of get why it isn't though. Some classes really depend on bonus actions to be effective and they shouldn't be gimped by being the first in the marching order.

I agree, it shouldn't be a bonus action. I'm completely on board with opening a door just being a thing that happens. I'm being an rear end about naming conventions.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
free action to open the door, move five feet inside the room and go prone on the floor, polymorph into a t rex, use the rest of your movement to get up and walk

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/20/amplitude-cofounder-mathieu-girard-has-a-new-rpg-studio-tactical-adventures/amp/

quote:

Girard left Amplitude in January, and now, he’s ready to talk about his next adventure … a tactical one. Today, he’s announcing his new company, Tactical Adventures. It’s a studio in Paris that wants to make PC role-playing games that blend the rich stories of classics like Baldur’s Gate with the tactical choices you make in games like XCOM. It’s working on a yet-to-be announced game, one that will use the Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition Open Game License (OGL). This means that it’ll use the base rules, but it won’t feature any of the worlds (such as the Forgotten Realms) that belong to Wizards of the Coast.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Maybe two wrongs will make a right :shrug:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I've been trying to come up with a not-overly-fiddly way for doing rolled stats in 5e D&D, but in testing it out, it still merits rerolling about 10% of the time.

Basically what I've got so far looks like this:
  • roll 6#3d6, assign in any order
  • any '1' that comes up is turned into a '6'
  • if you roll a fully-matching set on any group of 3 dice, treat each die as a '6' (i.e. 18 in total)
  • calculate your ability mods (not including racial mods); if your mods add up to +6 or less, you can boost all of your stats by 1
  • if this doesn't increase your total above +6, you can reroll your array (or use standard array/point buy.)

Any thoughts/suggestions to make this work a little bit faster and smoother (and with less rerolling)?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you want fast, roll 4d6, drop lowest. If total is less than standard array, take that instead.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

P.d0t posted:

I've been trying to come up with a not-overly-fiddly way for doing rolled stats in 5e D&D, but in testing it out, it still merits rerolling about 10% of the time.

• if you roll a fully-matching set on any group of 3 dice, treat each die as a '6' (i.e. 18 in total)
  • calculate your ability mods (not including racial mods); if your mods add up to +6 or less, you can boost all of your stats by 1
  • if this doesn't increase your total above +6, you can reroll your array (or use standard array/point buy.)

Any thoughts/suggestions to make this work a little bit faster and smoother (and with less rerolling)?

Yeah, make it so it also shoots toast on your breakfast plate and turns your kids beds sideways so they get to the bus on time. Maybe with the use of a blowtorch on a balloon or an old-fashioned clothes iron falling on a lever that strikes a match.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

There's a heroic mode I've seen a few times where you get an 18, an 8, and 4x 4d6 drop lowest.

Everybody gets a solid main stat, a weakness and a higher than average rest.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P.d0t posted:

3d6 keep 2 add 4.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just use a safety net. Go for as much variance as you want, but minimum stats never below the standard array , or whatever else you want to choose. Maybe guarantee two 18s. Who cares as long as the whole table has access to it

Or you can really open it up and give the choice of safety net but cap rolls (so no 18s), vs no cap but no net.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

P.d0t posted:

Roll 4d6 drop 1 (3d6) 3 times, minimum 7 (5). Subtract each one from 25 (23). There's your six scores. You can use the parens for a lower-powered variant.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alternatively, don't use stat rolling because it's a stupid artifact of when the system was both more simple and expected characters to be put through the grinder.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Just have everyone roll a big pile of dice, marvel at the fascinating results, then give them a good array to pick from. Discard the die results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Conspiratiorist posted:

3d6 keep 2 add 4.

I'd probably change the 4 to a 6, but I think this method puts it closest to where I want the stats to come out.
If anything it's sorta not fiddly enough; rolling stats is supposed to be a fun mini-game, and this makes it a little too clinical.

I will ponder.