Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
You know this whole discussion made me think of Blitzball from Final Fantasy X. Like the world is perpetually under threat of a deadly monster and one of the guys whose job is to protect the girl who can kill the monster also finds time to play in the tournament.

It's not like baseball stopped during WW2 or anything. I can see fantasy worlds with major sports that still happen despite the crazy drama and crises that happen. Maybe it's a little skewed when the major characters focus on magic sportsball instead of a murder dragon but that's not exactly an uncommon response for someone to cling to the familiar and/or their escape mechanism during a crisis even if that person is supposed to be handling said crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just reread Shadows of Self and it's an even worse gut punch when Wax shoots Bleeder, her pleading is that much clearer

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i haven't read shadows of self just listened to it on audiobook and the audiobook makes it extremely obvious pretty early on

my gf (she introduced me to the books) was surprised i guessed the twist so early

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Just popping in to say that skyward is pretty good and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
at the moment of your orgasm i transform into a dove

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If there's 1 good thing about a 13-hour round trip for my Thanksgiving commute, I ripped through Path of Daggers audio book and started Winter's Fart. Last few chapters of PoD were decent as things slowly inch along...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sab669 posted:

If there's 1 good thing about a 13-hour round trip for my Thanksgiving commute, I ripped through Path of Daggers audio book and started Winter's Fart. Last few chapters of PoD were decent as things slowly inch along...

When I embarked on WoT I briefly contemplated doing it via audiobook, but one look at the character names and I thought no effin way.

By the end I was repeating thanks to myself every time I encountered another character named Morin/Mierin/Morian/Moiraine/Moridin/Marin/Mrairn/Mrarn/Maron/Mron/Mararrnrnn/Mrn

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I read 1-5, maybe also 6 but started to sprinkle in audiobooks. #8 was the first one I exclusively listened to. Now I'm not going back.

I don't enjoy the series enough to actively dedicate my "recreational time" to read WoT. But if I can squeeze it in while driving, cooking etc. then I can suffer through these books.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Games and sports are inherently, almost definitionally, unimportant. Whatever the book is about, it's almost certainly going to be inherently more important than the sport game, so why are the characters all playing sportball when the world is on fire or the orphanage is about to be condemned or BuckBeak is gonna get executed or ToonTown is going to be Erased or whatever it is? So in poo poo like Dragonball it's half the world is on the line and the other half of the time for some reason we're supposed to care about some dumb-rear end tournament.

I think Dragon Ball is actually a weirdly good example of how to make that work.

With exactly two exceptions, one of which is very recent, the two types of arc are able to coexist by being very clearly separate from each other. The cast isn't taking a break from the world-killing threat to go have a tournament- it's something they do when there's not a world-killing threat.

In both exceptions, the world-killing threat is the thing putting on the tournament, so dealing with it necessitates participating; in the Cell Games, the "tournament" is something Cell's doing pretty much as an egotistical way of telling everyone "HEY COME TRY TO BEAT ME UP," so the path to beating him up is pretty obvious from there, and in the Tournament of Power, the tournament is the result of God getting bored, grabbing the best fighters from a bunch of universes, and going "beat each other up for my amusement, losers have their universe erased from existence forever."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Haven't read any Sanderson in a few years since Oathbreaker. I'm loving overwhelmed, there's so many short stories and stuff I'm interested in from more Mistborn, to the Cosmere series of stories. the hell do i begin

e: Oathbringer

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 27, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Barreft posted:

Haven't read any Sanderson in a few years since Oathbreaker. I'm loving overwhelmed, there's so many short stories and stuff I'm interested in from more Mistborn, to the Cosmere series of stories. the hell do i begin

A few years? It's been like a year and a week since Oathbringer came out (Nov 17 2017).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Barreft posted:

Oathbringer only came out last year!

Mistborn is part of the Cosmere.

Just read Mistborn, it's enjoyable. If you like it then read Mistborn 2 which is even better.

From there you go into Warbreaker, which will make some bits in the Stormlight series more clear.

From there you enter superfan territory and the usual path is pushing through Elantris, then picking up Arcanum Unbounded which is a bunch of good stuff.

The important thing is not to read Arcanum Unbounded until you read all the other stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And just for clarity, Mistborn 1 means the three first Mistborn books, Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages, in this order. Mistborn 2 is the second series, which takes place after a pretty long time skip, and consists of Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning, and the fourth and last book in that series, The Lost Metal, which will be released 2019.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I was confused by that for a second, the second book in the first Mistborn trilogy is generally considered the weakest!

Barreft posted:

Mistborn is great and has the most fleshed-out universe after Stormlight Archives. The Emperor's Soul is a Cosmere novella and rightly considered one of Sanderson's best stories, period. Warbreaker is great and has relevance to SLA for several characters, and is available free online from Sanderson's site. Elantris is his first book and it shows, but is still quite enjoyable and has one of his best characters. Arcanum Unbounded is a collection of short stories and is best left until after you've read the others.

Outside Cosmere you have the Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, Calamity) which is YA dystopian superhero stories where only bad guys get powers; Rithmatist which is YA where some people can make chalk drawing Pokémon and fight with them; Legion which is a series about a guy who is so brilliantly insane that he creates mental personas to take up excess brain power and solves crimes to pay for the mansion to house them all; and Skyward which is a dystopian novel where humanity is trapped on a demolished planet by hostile alien forces and barely surviving by fighting them off with fighter spaceships.

I think there's at least one more YA series, and there's scores of short stories like Perfect State and Defending Elysium that are also quite fun

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

I was confused by that for a second, the second book in the first Mistborn trilogy is generally considered the weakest!

Mistborn is great and has the most fleshed-out universe after Stormlight Archives. The Emperor's Soul is a Cosmere novella and rightly considered one of Sanderson's best stories, period. Warbreaker is great and has relevance to SLA for several characters, and is available free online from Sanderson's site. Elantris is his first book and it shows, but is still quite enjoyable and has one of his best characters. Arcanum Unbounded is a collection of short stories and is best left until after you've read the others.

Outside Cosmere you have the Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, Calamity) which is YA dystopian superhero stories where only bad guys get powers; Rithmatist which is YA where some people can make chalk drawing Pokémon and fight with them; Legion which is a series about a guy who is so brilliantly insane that he creates mental personas to take up excess brain power and solves crimes to pay for the mansion to house them all; and Skyward which is a dystopian novel where humanity is trapped on a demolished planet by hostile alien forces and barely surviving by fighting them off with fighter spaceships.

I think there's at least one more YA series, and there's scores of short stories like Perfect State and Defending Elysium that are also quite fun

The other series is less YA and more middle-school lit: Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think Dragon Ball is actually a weirdly good example of how to make that work.

With exactly two exceptions, one of which is very recent, the two types of arc are able to coexist by being very clearly separate from each other. The cast isn't taking a break from the world-killing threat to go have a tournament- it's something they do when there's not a world-killing threat.

In both exceptions, the world-killing threat is the thing putting on the tournament, so dealing with it necessitates participating; in the Cell Games, the "tournament" is something Cell's doing pretty much as an egotistical way of telling everyone "HEY COME TRY TO BEAT ME UP," so the path to beating him up is pretty obvious from there, and in the Tournament of Power, the tournament is the result of God getting bored, grabbing the best fighters from a bunch of universes, and going "beat each other up for my amusement, losers have their universe erased from existence forever."

Tournament of Power was dozens of episodes of pure fanservice and the last few episodes were everything to hope for out of peak Dragonball.

Especially after the Goku Black's ending being drawn out multiple times only to have the worst rear end-pull ending imaginable when there were several opportunities to have good endings. At least two of them centering on Trunks. :sigh:

Barreft posted:

I think you mean Warbreaker if you read it several years ago.

Oathbreaker would make for a good title of a Stormlight book about the Radiants falling apart though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Goku Black should have been Ginyu.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

How was the book about the spaceship?

mewse
May 2, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

It was good op

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Sorry my time was off, everyday seems a year now post escalator. I've read original Mistborn trilogy. And I read Oathbringer. In was talking more that he finished the second Mistborn trilogy and my Kindle has up cosmere short stories I dunno.

I think I'll start on the new Mistborn trilogy but I really want to learn more about the cosmere.

E, I read elantis and warbreaker, was a long time ago.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The second Mistborn series isn't finished yet. The first book is more like a prologue as it's shorter than books two and three.

Mistborn is part of the cosmere, as are all of his works that dont take place on or mention Earth. Right now the connections are relatively small, cameos and such, with some larger connections that are apparent if you've read all the books.

You may want to get lost at the coppermind, the wiki for Sanderson novels.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Fezz posted:

The second Mistborn series isn't finished yet. The first book is more like a prologue as it's shorter than books two and three.

It sounds, to me, as though they should have called it miststillborn

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

NecroMonster posted:

It was a pretty fun read, kinda short tough. I like how he kinda makes the aspect of space flight into his magic system. There's also a nice backstory to this universe. Characters seem well written and I am looking forward to read more about them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tahirovic posted:

It was a pretty fun read, kinda short tough. I like how he kinda makes the aspect of space flight into his magic system. There's also a nice backstory to this universe. Characters seem well written and I am looking forward to read more about them.
You know you've gotten too used to Sanderson when 500 pages is "kinda short".

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't even see a page counter on my kindle, guess it just felt short because I finished it in 2-3 days.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Reading Skyward, almost done, and right now I'm thinking, "man, this would make a dope as poo poo VR flying game".

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cicero posted:

Reading Skyward, almost done, and right now I'm thinking, "man, this would make a dope as poo poo VR flying game".

:agreed:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What's this about a new Legion novella, I got a mail from Amazon about it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Tahirovic posted:

What's this about a new Legion novella, I got a mail from Amazon about it.

A collection of the three published stories (the third one is available on its own too).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only 100 pages in to Skyward, not super into it so far. Between being very YA and having just never been huge on scifi in general... I hope I like it more as it progresses.

I just finished the part where Spensa and her crew did a single holo-sim training exercise, then got called into action where they killed a single Krell, then she was told she doesn't get a bed/food while training.

But with her talking about how "punchable Jerkface's face is" I feel like I'm reading a well-edited tumblr fanfic.

Edit: Oh, and I'm a little more than 60% of the way through Winter's Heart, and I have no idea what's happening in this book because even listening to it I can't pay attention it's that boring. Definitely going to have to read the wiki article afterwards.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 3, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Only 100 pages in to Skyward, not super into it so far. Between being very YA and having just never been huge on scifi in general... I hope I like it more as it progresses.

I just finished the part where Spensa and her crew did a single holo-sim training exercise, then got called into action where they killed a single Krell, then she was told she doesn't get a bed/food while training.

But with her talking about how "punchable Jerkface's face is" I feel like I'm reading a well-edited tumblr fanfic.

The sleeping in a cave thing was dumb. I think the story does pick up from where you’re at

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sab669 posted:

Out with her talking about how "punchable Jerkface's face is" I feel like I'm reading a well-edited tumblr fanfic.

She's a teenage girl, she pretty much has her head up her rear end in many regards, and Sanderson did a good job making this clear and showing that she's often in the wrong and her own enemy, especially about other people, their motivations and intentions. While it purposefully starts as typical "wronged Cinderella, evil headmistress, nice teacher, upper class snob as enemy" it thankfully gets a lot more nuanced and complex.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yea, it definitely makes sense for a teenage kid's perspective.

But as I've said about Wheel of Time where most of the characters are whiny resentful twats: I understand where they're coming, they're often right to feel the way they do, but it doesn't make reading about them enjoyable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

Edit: Oh, and I'm a little more than 60% of the way through Winter's Heart, and I have no idea what's happening in this book because even listening to it I can't pay attention it's that boring. Definitely going to have to read the wiki article afterwards.

RE: Skyward -- In typical Sanderson fashion, literally everything about that situation gets explained, from Spensa's attitude to her daddy's reputation to why the Admiral is such a horrid person to why her teacher gave her a chance anyway.

RE: Winter's Heart -- The is exactly one good chapter in Winter's Heart, and it's the last one. Which is one of the best chapters in the series.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

RE: Winter's Heart -- The is exactly one good chapter in Winter's Heart, and it's the last one. Which is one of the best chapters in the series.
Agreed. Resort to chapter summaries and don't feel bad about it, but be sure to read/listen to the last one. In addition to being one of the best chapters in the series, it's also the signal that you're almost through the mid-series slump and back to the (relatively) good poo poo. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) isn't great but it's definitely better than WH, and Knife of Dreams (book 11) is among the strongest RJ authored books in the series, including amazing things like Perrin, Egwene, and Elayne chapters you actually want to read (though there are still some duds), Rand doing things in addition to being emo, and Mat in full Mat mode.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I knew I was getting close to the end of the tunnel, but I wasn't sure if 10 or 11 was where it starts to really get going.

It's tempting to just ditch the audiobook and read a chapter summary, but I need to wait another week or two to get my Monthly Audible Credit for a free book so I'm just going to continue listening :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm like 1/3 through Winter's Heart. It's bad. I can't even having to imagine reading this while it was still being written. How infuriating was it when you'd wait a year (or whatever), and you get poo poo book after poo poo book like 4 times in a row?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God drat, every time I go back and read a plot summary to refresh my memory I'm also reminded that there is a major character named Faile

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

God drat, every time I go back and read a plot summary to refresh my memory I'm also reminded that there is a major character named Faile

YES BUT IT'S PRONOUNCED "Fah-eel" SO YOU SEE...
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I honestly don't know if 11 was really good or just so much better than books 7-10 then it felt that way but ya.