Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They can nerf shield bash but Brig is still gonna be a better than Mccree at stuff because she can stay alive and provides healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Flashbang's stun effect lasts for .4 seconds while shield bash's lasts for a full second

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could also point to the fact that McCree's stun has a casting delay which means you can play around it pretty effectively. But more fundamentally McCree is a DPS hero whose sole contribution is fragging enemy players. Even if his flashbang makes him hard to kill you can just go after one of his teammates instead, which is a much worse plan when the hero in question has a powerful burst healing ability that negates almost any dive attempt.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

He also has basically no synergy with any of the tanks or compositions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

He also has basically no synergy with any of the tanks or compositions.

He's just so vulnerable. I like playing him but every time I pick him I usually end up thinking that my team would just be better off if I were Brig. And I'm usually right there. Staying alive is so much more important than getting picks and Brig has Mccree beat by miles in that category.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dev (art team) dropping by Fran's stream in 20 minutes http://www.twitch.tv/fran

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 20, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

turtlecrunch posted:

Dev (art team) dropping by Fran's stream in 20 minutes http://www.twitch.tv/fran

Who ended up being a very nice bronze Mercy player. Gave very good bronze tips while streaming with Fran.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Mcree is like the worst hero in the game. Also his flashbang is way worse than shield bash in almost every way lol.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hey guys I know you're all annoyed about the annoying persistence of awful people in your games, but I think this latest change to the game where we take away the screen that show you sad numbers will make you feel better.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I'd like to match against someone who hasn't played the game 4k hours for once.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

I'd like to match against someone who hasn't played the game 4k hours for once.

if you are new this is HIGHLY unlikely if you are grouped up with a friend.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quick reminder: Get your 2 hours of watching Overwatch on Twitch done for the 3 Ashe sprays if you're an OCD collector of stuff.

Any Overwatch streamer with drops enabled (shows below the stream title) qualifies.

It's not featured prominently in the launcher, the event expires tomorrow (ending with the free trial phase).

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Big boss Pine teaches us the true counter to gravdragon was in our hearts all along

https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyObedientGarlicImGlitch

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
What has happened to the matching algorithm?

Every game I play I am losing every time,
Yesterday I had 5 Golds in a game we lost - I was moira and got objective kills gold with 1 kill and eliminations gold for 45 kills,
This is the usual state of affairs, we lose terribly and in some cases we lose big time, We had an anubis defence where they took the first point in about 20 seconds and the second point before i could respawn.

It has been like this for me since about 3 months ago, I don't do comp but my normal play level is like gold (gold 3 according to oversumo)
but I seem to be with completely stupid teams that are either not on comms or some squeaky teenager screaming abuse when his tracer gets killed behind enemy lines because the healer couldnt get to him.

I cannot play comp with my friends anymore as they are all > 1000 points above me but season 10 (last season I tried) I gave up after 3 placement matches when we had 3 losses due to leavers in every single game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Your issue is you're not playing comp

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Comp will give you better matched games overall. Also, don't trust stats, they lie.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Comp has tighter matchmaking. Also, comp will give you teammates that are more likely to stay to what they play best rather than matching you with someone who has decided to just gently caress around.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Switching to comp isn't some magic fix. At my rank the only difference between QP and comp is how angry people get

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
If you want to have fun just play arcade. QP is a very clever psychological metagame to devise strategies to have two healers on your comp at the same time

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Deathmatch is a good way to both 1) relax the "working together" part of your brain and 2) practice mechanics

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

What has happened to the matching algorithm?

Every game I play I am losing every time,
Yesterday I had 5 Golds in a game we lost - I was moira and got objective kills gold with 1 kill and eliminations gold for 45 kills,
This is the usual state of affairs, we lose terribly and in some cases we lose big time, We had an anubis defence where they took the first point in about 20 seconds and the second point before i could respawn.

It has been like this for me since about 3 months ago, I don't do comp but my normal play level is like gold (gold 3 according to oversumo)
but I seem to be with completely stupid teams that are either not on comms or some squeaky teenager screaming abuse when his tracer gets killed behind enemy lines because the healer couldnt get to him.

I cannot play comp with my friends anymore as they are all > 1000 points above me but season 10 (last season I tried) I gave up after 3 placement matches when we had 3 losses due to leavers in every single game.

Most people that play comp and quickplay do not play quickplay to "win" they play it to practice or warm up. So if your hidden MMR puts a "gold level" support main on your team and they're warming up on mccree then you're kinda hosed.

Also teams are not "fair" in quick play, the MMRs that they put on each team is quite wide.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I like how Blizzard tries to make the matchmaking as fair as possible by agonizing over who is the perfect player on queue to add to your match after somebody leaves, having a team minus one player for a couple of minutes until it finds the adequate replacement who will be then unceremoniously dumped straight into the team defeat screen for a perfectly balanced gaming experience for all concerned.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Max Awfuls posted:

I like how Blizzard tries to make the matchmaking as fair as possible by agonizing over who is the perfect player on queue to add to your match after somebody leaves, having a team minus one player for a couple of minutes until it finds the adequate replacement who will be then unceremoniously dumped straight into the team defeat screen for a perfectly balanced gaming experience for all concerned.

I had several games the other day where we just never got a sixth player again for the rest of the match after one left

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I love being that that sixth player on Mystery Heroes, with six minutes to go, and winning :3:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I hate getting backfill on first game of the day I also hate the quit wave where 1 person quits which makes more people quit or people getting pulled into backfill and then leaving because they don't want to be in backfill

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the funniest thing is when everyone notices someone leaving and rejoining like four times and start saying "welcome back"

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the funniest thing is when everyone notices someone leaving and rejoining like four times and start saying "welcome back"

The only reason I use avoid player is if this happens

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Max Awfuls posted:

lol their matchmaking isn't even trying to be fair since blizzard tries so hard to keep your w/l at 50%, which leads to most games being insanely unbalanced in one direction or the other

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

lol their matchmaking isn't even trying to be fair since blizzard tries so hard to keep your w/l at 50%, which leads to most games being insanely unbalanced in one direction or the other

A very slight but an important distinction here - it tries to make each team have a 50% probability of winning.

But thats in comp, not quickplay.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Manatee Cannon posted:

didn't this get outright disproven?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
People say that about the matchmaking of literally every game because it explains why they lose despite them being #1 Gamer.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The matchmaker's lowest allowable predicted win chance for the underdog team in a comp game is 40%, though a long time ago it used to be lower.

This doesn't mean the matchmaker is good at its job.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm pretty sure this is outright made up; a very-close-to-50% win rate for almost everyone is like literally the exact thing you would expect to happen.

You're basically saying that the Law of Averages is a result of malfeasance, which, I dunno man, that's a pretty hot take right there.

In fact if a meaningful number of people were able to maintain winrates significantly above 50% that would be a sign that the matchmaker was hosed up.

I mean, sure, the matchmaker is sort of crap, of course, but it's because of other things, not because Blizzard decided to make it terrible on purpose

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

If the game doesn't reinforce the "I'm the best" mentality, people won't get invested. And if people don't get invested, they won't play the game, and if they don't play the game, they won't buy loot boxes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Well its been 3 months and LFG is now a wasteland. n0ice.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Well its been 3 months and LFG is now a wasteland. n0ice.

Dunno about you - I had a grest time with a LFG six stack yesterday and it filled pretty fast.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
I find the LFG groups will fill pretty fast, but that people will most likely bail if you don't win the first game as a group... which seems kind of silly to me, surely the more you played with your team, the better you'd get?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The LFG pool in gold on PS4 is an absolute dead wasteland.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Christabel posted:

I find the LFG groups will fill pretty fast, but that people will most likely bail if you don't win the first game as a group... which seems kind of silly to me, surely the more you played with your team, the better you'd get?

It's a "carry me" mentality. I've had wins when I'm pre-grouped with a couple of mates and people in the same match will want to stay with us. The first sign of a loss they're ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

One thing I tried last night was making a high-endorsement LFG (level 3 or higher) for team deathmatch, and it worked out pretty well! I made an effort to be friendly and got some very chill casual games, and people didn't immediately leave after a loss so that was nice :)