Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I also got Ingus's chain from my FF2 pull, but that was a dupe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally got my first siren kill! Not that exciting to many people, I'm a bit late to it.. but I ended up doing it in a pretty special way. With Ramza chain!

I really struggled for the past week making a bunch of attempts with various teams, trying physical or magical with mixed success, turns out the answer was to bring my top dudes from each team and mush em together! It's definitely a very akward way to do it, I don't really even start doing dps until almost 15s in, but coming up with the idea and making it work feels amazing. I just hope it's pretty consistently repeatable, Raines getting silenced ends the run immediately, but not much I can do about it without slowing the run or making it riskier by bringing ultra cure.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Congrats. Siren and Hades both suck and aren't fun.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
is there a gimmick to the bomb brigade that im missing, or is it really just equip resist KO stuff to avoid the explode damage?
E:Guess not for KO stuff. Whats the gimmick with this fight?

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 19, 2018

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Shoenin posted:

is there a gimmick to the bomb brigade that im missing, or is it really just equip resist KO stuff to avoid the explode damage?
E:Guess not for KO stuff. Whats the gimmick with this fight?

The RW ult they give you will banish the bomb. You want to get as close as you can without killing it then ulting

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's Pokemon mechanics in other words. That's why they tell you the exact HP, and why they keep it as a value divisible by 10k so that you can get closest by hitting a string of 9999s.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So I got Cloud's USB that has the followup on wind attacks, and I have to ask why. Seems like until I can record dive him enough for better spellblade access, its sort of underwhelming? Right now my options are... 3 star wind spellblade or lower. Was neat to use in the mote weak to wind today though. Saw it somehow break the damage cap.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 19, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should dive him for better spellblade access.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah some people kinda require diving to get access to the skills they need because the design philosophy used to be 'fix it with a dive', and sometimes now it's 'fix it with new relics' and sometimes they're forced to admit after years of mistakes that they need to change something on someone (hi Firion) but it's rare

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I see
I can do bombs with ease now knowing that info

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

xanthan posted:

So I got Cloud's USB that has the followup on wind attacks, and I have to ask why. Seems like until I can record dive him enough for better spellblade access, its sort of underwhelming? Right now my options are... 3 star wind spellblade or lower. Was neat to use in the mote weak to wind today though. Saw it somehow break the damage cap.

That chase can break the damage cap, and is Cloud's elementally-based (read: boostable) way of doing so. His USB1 has no followup and no enelement, but applies the damage cap break property to all of his attacks, which is the direct cause of several things:
  • The popularity of it as a Roaming Warrior to trivialize content meant that RWs got phased out of pretty much every bit of high-end content from Magicite to Crystal Towers to event superbosses to even Realm Dungeons
  • While it might not have been singularly responsible for the shift to an elemental meta, Cloud's reliance on it ended up screwing him in the long run since his dive focuses on spamming OmnislashOmega Drive instead of Spellblades, leaving him hugely gimped compared to natural Spellblade 5*s (that get the 6* sphere) such as Bartz
  • Its reliance on Zack's Chain as an assist (and the fact that Zack's chain is basically a prototype nu-chain) led to Wind only getting a single chain until our next FF14 event, when Alphinaud finally gets one meant with mages in mind.

tl;dr: the USB with the chase is meant to bring Cloud back to "usable" after his old OP-as-hell USB got nerfed into uselessness and practically took him down with it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The USB1 is still an easy carry through Mote dungeons, though. I relied on it for pretty much every elemental team.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I seem to remember something about a new mechanic coming up that requires us to sacrifice gear to boost special weapons. Am I misremembering? I'm trying to decide if I should use my old gear as Rosetta Stones or vault it for now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I seem to remember something about a new mechanic coming up that requires us to sacrifice gear to boost special weapons. Am I misremembering? I'm trying to decide if I should use my old gear as Rosetta Stones or vault it for now.

You will sell gear for rainbow orbs or something. You use rainbow orbs to buy legendary weapons from a special shop.

Keep everything. Minimize combining.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Game is stable enough until I try to fight the ??? Boss. Now it keeps crashing halfway through, naturally.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Coming back to this game after some time away.

Any recommendations for what I should pick from the USB relic draw?

Here's what I have (hope it's readable):

Everyone seems to be suggesting Elarras if you don't already have it?

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Elarra USB is the recommended one because it can basically be used with any kind of party with the party quickcast 2 effect. It also has by far the most raw healing output of any healer SB in the game due to the regenga.

As far as what other SB's you might want, both palom and vivi have doublecast black USB's which are good for a very large chunk of content. Palom is a bit better imo just because he doesn't need trance to triple cast with the USB.

Barring that just pick what you want to fill whatever gaps you have? How useful a USB is to you really depends on what content you're trying to do.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Elarra USB is by far the most powerful healer option we have currently, so it's a solid choice and will let you heal thru basically any fight for the next year (barring the hardmode torments you can't use her for). You've got good buffing options with both OK usbs and tyro godwall, too so you're pretty well covered I guess, barring chains but we cant pick those. Either go with Elarra or pick something that'll help your elemental teams if you're desperately short on one of them. Palom is a good option as a one-man black magic swiss army knife to go with Onion Knight, but won't help with holy/dark obviously. You could go with Vivi instead if you want to fiddle with getting him tranced, and it'd help your IX synergy, up to you though. As long as it's something you want and would help you do something you can't now.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

For D??? Torments, do people usually bring one off realm powerhouse like OK or Elarra or is having a full realm team mandatory for all of them?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Having even one off-realm character makes D??? significantly tougher. The boss just straight up takes half damage (a huge penalty by itself), goes from 120% elemental weakness to neutral (which means you lose the 50% SB gain bonus unless you bring an imperil), and goes from 30% to 20% break effectiveness. It's certainly possible, but it's definitely not the norm.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Went with Elarra. Thanks friends :)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Having even one off-realm character makes D??? significantly tougher. The boss just straight up takes half damage (a huge penalty by itself), goes from 120% elemental weakness to neutral (which means you lose the 50% SB gain bonus unless you bring an imperil), and goes from 30% to 20% break effectiveness. It's certainly possible, but it's definitely not the norm.

Yeah. There's a reason it's colliquially known as DWhale - you gotta whale to not just get good solid buffs and team synergy, but you've got to do it in every realm, and at times it makes weird oddball SBs far more useful than they are in other content. (As an example, Alma's USB is loving amazing for the Cuchulainn Torment, but in normal content you'll rarely use it over her BSB because you want a healer doing, well, more healing.)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

With the way things are right now, I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to off realm D$$$. When Arcane Awakenings come out it's a different story from my understanding.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

imho the biggest problem with torments for most people is lack of healers. Every realm has a ton of different options for buffing and dps, but most realms only have one healer, and some of them aren't even good (looking at you Lenna). I still don't have any healer SBs for FF1, FF9, or FF15, and I can't even beat the D280 for FF15 because of that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I rolled on quite a few 240/280s using 3 in-realm characters and then OK+Elarra, I think I sub-30'd quite a few that I have better characters for like FF6 FF7 and FF8, but yeah those realms definitely have some stacked characters compared to some other realms.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, healers and buffers/debuffers are the easiest swap-outs for 240s and 280s. It's far more a problem if you don't have good in-realm DPS. (Looking at you, FF1 and FF2...)

If you happen to have one of the better healer USBs (Ellara, Relm, even Rosa or Eiko) then just run them instead of whatever realm healer for the 280.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

First 4* Magicite down :toot:

With the 25 mythril gift I just got, I'm able to pull on lucky banners 2 and 3, but I did hear mention that Realms on Parade is coming back soon, I just can't find a rough date for it. Am I looking at the next festival for RoP or is it sooner than that?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I don't think we have the exact date yet, but RoP will open ~17 days before the fest itself, so it could be as soon as the start of December.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wow hades is a gently caress, that's all

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

hades is a gently caress

410,757,864,530 DEAD KEEPERS

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Fister Roboto posted:

410,757,864,530 DEAD KEEPERS

Savage Black Cauldron 'em all 1989.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Does the upcoming fest have any one day only pre-fest luckies? I'm probably gonna have to hold off on RoP until closer to the end of fest if so. Going in hard on the realm draws kind of bit me in the rear end, especially with the irregular event schedule lately making it hard to predict mythril income.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Really I was dumb and didn't drop my second unicorn and that caused a big problem, Elarra got paralyzed/confused, orlandeau took a nap (then died), beatrix died, Warrior of Light went to sleep.

Honestly, my DPS REALLY started to slow near the end anyway, I had him at like 20% but was running out of steam, might need to re-think my approach to hades to get the W.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, I'm at the point where I need to clear (almost?) all of the Nightmare Dungeons to finish Book 7. I own every character except Riku & Sora from KH. Here's a spreadsheet with the Soul Breaks and Record Materia I have available. What's going to be my best team loadout for clearing them? I don't care about mastering them right now; I just want to unlock Magicite.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

Does the upcoming fest have any one day only pre-fest luckies? I'm probably gonna have to hold off on RoP until closer to the end of fest if so. Going in hard on the realm draws kind of bit me in the rear end, especially with the irregular event schedule lately making it hard to predict mythril income.

Should be three of them - LMR/OSB/USB. At least the first two are pretty skippable.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kheldarn posted:

OK, I'm at the point where I need to clear (almost?) all of the Nightmare Dungeons to finish Book 7. I own every character except Riku & Sora from KH. Here's a spreadsheet with the Soul Breaks and Record Materia I have available. What's going to be my best team loadout for clearing them? I don't care about mastering them right now; I just want to unlock Magicite.

Every one of them needs a different setup to do "properly", and I'm not sure how many of them can be brute forced.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

I found this reddit post useful for getting through the nightmares. There's been a bit of power creep since then but it's still pretty handy. The first four bosses in each section you can normally beat with whatever, but the main bosses all have gimmicks, some of which you can brute-force past but for most of them you'll need to make a team specially for them (reraise :argh:)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yea there's no magic formula to get thru the nightmares, you gotta approach each of them individually and set up for the fight properly. It's a newbies first proper intro to advanced fight mechanics, nightmares are a good bit more involved than most other content pre-endgame. And they're designed to be hard to brute force through, for the most part you have to respect the gimmicks. Which isn't to say you can't kill them way faster now than when they were introduced, just that you gotta stop and do something other than spam abilities on the boss sometimes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Before I embark on farming the necessary orbs:

Maria USB, Shantotto USB/Glint, Garnet CSB/BSB1/BSB2, Elarra USB/LMR, Tyro Godwall/LMR. Fully levelled and inherited Quetz.

I should be good for Geosgaeno right?

Same question but for Famfrit:

Kain USB1/USB2, Prompto USB/BSB/LMR, Garnet CSB/BSB2, Elarra USB/LMR, Tyro Godwall/LMR, Fully leveled/inherited King Behe. Should be good?

Assume everyone's dived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Every one of them needs a different setup to do "properly", and I'm not sure how many of them can be brute forced.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I found this reddit post useful for getting through the nightmares. There's been a bit of power creep since then but it's still pretty handy. The first four bosses in each section you can normally beat with whatever, but the main bosses all have gimmicks, some of which you can brute-force past but for most of them you'll need to make a team specially for them (reraise :argh:)

Indecisive posted:

Yea there's no magic formula to get thru the nightmares, you gotta approach each of them individually and set up for the fight properly. It's a newbies first proper intro to advanced fight mechanics, nightmares are a good bit more involved than most other content pre-endgame. And they're designed to be hard to brute force through, for the most part you have to respect the gimmicks. Which isn't to say you can't kill them way faster now than when they were introduced, just that you gotta stop and do something other than spam abilities on the boss sometimes.

Oh, I don't care about getting the skills, just getting through the 4 Bosses for each. I should have been a little more specific, I guess. Sorry.

I guess it's just a matter of trying until I get them. And I'll keep that reddit post in mind for when I decide to go after them. Thanks!