Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean he's not wrong that in general we've overlooked tons of terrible poo poo from our friends like SA already so it's almost nothing to ignore one dude dying. Like, did anyone actually expect we'd side against our main counter to Iran over this when we didn't after countless human rights abuses and literal 9/11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The gently caress kind of personal assistant makes 90k

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure actually but this does bring up the philosophical question of how completely psychotic the concept of "citizenship" is when you think about it. Like oh, he wasn't a citizen, so the fact that a brutal dictatorial regime butchered him and then blatantly lied about it on international news is no big deal. Who the gently caress defends that? Well, Republicans, basically.

The concept of "citizenship" does seem at odds with that of a hegemonic power.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh gosh I'm so rich it's terrible. Just an endless stream of gold diggers snorting coke off my dick. Woe is me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

TheScott2K posted:

If any of that poo poo made them not rich anymore they wouldn't bother with it
Strictly speaking, plenty of people have become not rich exactly for that reason.

But that just means they deserve even more scorn than other rich people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

In other words we should moove on?

Only if you're . . . chicken

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I mean he's not wrong that in general we've overlooked tons of terrible poo poo from our friends like SA already so it's almost nothing to ignore one dude dying. Like, did anyone actually expect we'd side against our main counter to Iran over this when we didn't after countless human rights abuses and literal 9/11?

nothing about it is new (including the part where nobody in the media cared until one of their own was killed) except for the sheer incompetence of the cover up on both ends

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Good work focusing on the salaries of the working people in that graphic, great take.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Which of course begs the question of why exactly do we need a bulwark against Iran, again?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jaxyon posted:

Good work focusing on the salaries of the working people in that story, great take.

And 75k for a maid? That's poor person work! That rich person has been duped twice over!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stexils posted:

nothing about it is new (including the part where nobody in the media cared until one of their own was killed) except for the sheer incompetence of the cover up on both ends

yea I mean this is absolutely their most oafish crime against humanity they've done in a while, but yea the only reason people expected that somehow THIS was the tipping point was because the guy was part of the media class and that meant they actually gave a poo poo about this rather than all the other times something like this goes down and we go 'eh whatever'

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Please no HENRY derail. Please no

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

Which of course begs the question of why exactly do we need a bulwark against Iran, again?

you see, Dave, they kicked out our puppet and made us look stupid.

Ergo we must burn the middle east to glass rather than let Iran exist as a stable government.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Good work focusing on the salaries of the working people in that graphic, great take.

Seemed more like a question about whether the number was inflated to serve the article's agenda than one questioning the worthiness of the assistant but go off

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DaveWoo posted:

They might make nuclear weapons! *makes spooky ghost noises* :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/ahval_en/status/1064888856590217216

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's tolerable until someone posts that gif, then it should stop.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hello regular D&D politics thread, it's been a while. We need 11 more orders of the Piss Tape is Real beanies or the batch gets cancelled. You know what to do!

https://www.customink.com/g/szp0-00bk-77cy

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hellblazer187 posted:

One for high level executives, most probably. Important event coordination, agenda planning and bad hours probably lead to higher-than-normal wages.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Am I the only one that noticed that Trump's team is 50 yards upfield and not hustling downfield to block for him, while Trump takes all the glory?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm pretty sure paying 90k for a PA and 75k for maid service makes you rich af already

Or maybe I'm so poor my view is skewed but fuuuuck

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheScott2K posted:

Seemed more like a question about whether the number was inflated to serve the article's agenda than one questioning the worthiness of the assistant but go off

It's not at all out of line for an executive assistant and might be including benefits.

But again, questioning the salary of the working people in the article as being inflated sounds a bit more like "is that job worth that much" when there's way better stuff to be questioning.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I cannot believe that we are continuing to sell weapons to a country that is at effective war with a country we have been fighting off an on for forty years :geno:

Munkeymon posted:

:stare: that's amazing

e: uh, is CK kinda like Total War where you can marry off nobles to other countries for diplomatic reasons? Cuz, uh, that could get weird.

CK is a dynasty builder more than an empire builder. It is the kind of game where you push your own eldest son down a flight of stairs because his brother has better stats.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's Count Henry to you.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gorson posted:

Am I the only one that noticed that Trump's team is 50 yards upfield and not hustling downfield to block for him, while Trump takes all the glory?

i'm a bigger fan of trumps impossibly long tree trunk leg

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

It's not at all out of line for an executive assistant and might be including benefits.

But again, questioning the salary of the working people in the article as being inflated sounds a bit more like "is that job worth that much" when there's way better stuff to be questioning.

My wife worked as a personal (keyword) assistant for people like those described in the article. She topped out at 45k doing so. It's a high number, and it serves the article's agenda.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
fwiw washington post has changed the article title.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

My wife worked as a personal (keyword) assistant for people like those described in the article. She topped out at 45k doing so. It's a high number, and it serves the article's agenda.

My take on it was "these people are clearly lying about how much they're paying their employees"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

nerdz posted:

My take on it was "these people are clearly lying about how much they're paying their employees"

Yeah that too.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

poo poo like this reveals that people are ignorant of just how goddamn rich the super rich are.

They can spend this kind of money and never be at risk of exiting super rich status. Hell, from interest alone, the super rich literally cannot spend money faster than they make it -- from interest income alone.

Example:

Let's say you're a billionaire. Not even a Big Time billionaire, just a mediocre 4 billion-dollars-in-investments billionaire. A 10% rate of return is very achievable for investment income and an easy figure to do math with.

So, $4BN is $400 million / yr in investment income alone (we'll ignore other income sources and taxes to keep this simple. Remember, clever accounting might keep your taxes on this investment income as low as ~5-10%!).

That's:
~$33 million per month
~$1.1 million per day
~$46,000 per hour
~ $761 per minute
~ $13 per second

Remember that this income is streaming in 24/7/365. This is *not* working time, this is at-all-times.

The entire cost outlined in the article is $365,000, or roughly 8 hours at the above income rate. Before this hypothetical super rich person is done sleeping off their New Year's hangover, the entire cost is paid for.

It's a degree of money so vast that the super rich literally cannot spend it faster than it comes in.

In conclusion:
https://twitter.com/FellowGritty/status/1064872624029908994

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 20, 2018

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

US foreign policy has always been this ghoulish, only in the past mealy mouthed liberals were able to concern troll regimes they didn't like with buzzwords like "human rights" and "freedom."

Trump and his goons haven't changed anything, they just ripped the mask off for the whole world to see.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw washington post has changed the article title.

lol yeah they know they hosed up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lightning Knight posted:

lol yeah they know they hosed up.

The author's apologizing in the comments.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TheScott2K posted:

Well... assuming she was being paid over the table and was receiving benefits, you should tack on an additional 10%-15% there, assuming that 45k isn't after taxes. Doesn't get you to 90k though even with a hypothetical COLA.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tibalt posted:

Well... assuming she was being paid over the table and was receiving benefits, you should tack on an additional 10%-15% there, assuming that 45k isn't after taxes. Doesn't get you to 90k though even with a hypothetical COLA.

[audible laughter]

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

I can't argue with your wife's experience but the going rate for being a PA to anyone remotely rich in LA is around 100k and I have at least one friend who does that.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

TheScott2K posted:

[audible laughter]
Do you live in New York City or LA or something already?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jaxyon posted:

I can't argue with your wife's experience but the going rate for being a PA to anyone remotely rich in LA is around 100k and I have at least one friend who does that.

Similar rates in SF too, my wife made nearly that as the second assistant to a rich widow.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

We must prop up a brutal regime we helped create as a bulwark against this other brutal regime we helped create but then got away from us. If we don't, that regime might be able to engage in the kind of international terrorism we perpetrate on a regular basis, but it would be bad because it wouldn't be us.

Fake edit: :d2a:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

The gently caress kind of housekeeper makes 75k?

Point is this entire exercise is stupid as gently caress, a rich persons lifestyle costs a lot of money and those people don't miss it, because that poo poo is all disposable to them. Might as well hire an army of servants, that way they don't seize the means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao at millenials should have a few thousand in savings and a retirement account worth a year's salary

Yeah, I just won't eat or use power my dudes, and walk miles to work! :thumbsup:

What loving salary do they think the average late 20 year old is making?!

I decided to actually check my 401k because of this chat. I'm about AOC's age and I've been contributing since I was 22, so I must have around a year's salary saved up, right?

quote:

NET WORTH
$11,393.54

:negative: